Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company of Heroes, and Dark Crusade

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Quigs said:
In all honesty, Ive never seen a necron unit outside of the warriors that I liked.

Wraiths are useful for their infiltration vision, so they tend to get the remaining 2 REQ.

Wraiths are fast.

Flayed look nice, but are almost as slow as the NW without the ranged damage. Pass

Flayed ones can deep strike.

Vehicle wise, the Scaraby launcher thing is pretty damned cool, except again, rediculous limit of only having 3. I still havent figured out why on that. ITs not like they are going to be bringing back more dead then 2 could have.

The half body on hover designs all suck. Especially the Lord. Would have been nice if you could take over epics, but since your limited to taking over non epic vehics, by the time you park your lord up there, your NW have probably beaten the unit half to death.

Destroyers are fast.

So im really not seeing how Necrons get BETTER with time.

See where I'm going with this? The longer you let a necron simmer, the more he's able to overcome his mobility handicap. He is able to get together a balanced army with fast and disruptive units to back up their core necron warrior army. Then, dancing won't do shit against them anymore and Eldar's pretty much toast.

Then, at tier 3, the lord walks out with his res orb, bam, gg eldar.

Quigs

Magister
well, replayed it a few more times. Some more suck :S

Karskin and Ogryn for imperial. Only allowed 1 each. WTF? They took the weakst faction and made them WORSE, with no offset.

Oarfish

Prophet
Their new heavy weapons emplacements are pretty pokey though, good range too.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
They limited Leman Russ tanks as well (to two). But now they have 10khp and are actually decent versus other vehicles.

I actually have a good time with IG. I just wish the garrisoning actually took the squad into account. Kasrkin actually have a slower firing animation when in buildings (haven't tested their output to see if it's only visual). Also upgraded weapons don't fire from them. Silly stuff.

Quigs

Magister
Oh yeah, I love IG. Easily one of my favorites, but they were kinda weak to begin with. Doesnt make much sense to force them to field Guardsman against Nobz, or just about any other factions basic infantry.

whatusername

Scholar
Damn it, the caps sound annoying. Should I just get the expansion, or should I just keep playing with my current copy?

Oarfish

Prophet
Personaly I like the caps, it makes for more balanced forces. Rather than just spamming elites.

Quigs

Magister
Kinda disagree. All forces pretended to be a slight bit balanced. When it comes down to who has the best starting infantry, that kinda goes out the window, since its a Necron Victory, with Chaos and SM's tieing for 2nd.

After declaring my love for the Necrons, I decided to play AGAINST the necrons with every race, trying to find their weakness. I also discovered that some races simply have a very large handicap fighting against the necrons, specifically, Imperials and Eldar.

Also, every strategy to beating them envolved ignoring their entire force and striking at their base, something that kinda seems against the earlier principles of encouraging middle map battles.

oherror

Liturgist
Oarfish said:
The necrons are stupidly overpowered in the single player campaign.

nah, not really i played the chaos and found them to be easy pickings...just have 3 squads of chaos raptors and they will be your bitche...

also a good tactic when playing necron is to build a force full of warriors then kill them off, now build the more costly units, rez the warriors now you will a huge forces.

Oarfish

Prophet
I can beat them easily enough, but playing as them is by far the easiest path through the campaign.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Company of Heroes is a lot better than anything else at the moment, including Dark Crusade. DC looks pretty outdated by comparison.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
kingcomrade said:
Specific unit caps? Looks like they've got the Blizzard "Balancing Is Hard; You Will Play This Game Only One Way" bug.

I see it as more about opening avenues for play, rather than closing them. They don't want you to have several elite squads of units. Rather than drive down their value and effect by having half a dozen, the limits make them presences on the battlefield.

It has several ways of looking at it, as always. That's just my take.

I agree on CoH, though. I tried the Paraworld/Empires at War: Forces of Corruption/Maelstrom demos and found myself bored to death.

oherror

Liturgist
the balancing is actually good...i remeber fielding 7 squads of chaos obliterators in winterassult with one scout team to cap and you became unstopible. Also as your 7 predator tanks all upgraded with chaos projectiles made for a great marine killing force. now with the unit cap the game is more balanced.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Quigs said:
Kinda disagree. All forces pretended to be a slight bit balanced. When it comes down to who has the best starting infantry, that kinda goes out the window, since its a Necron Victory, with Chaos and SM's tieing for 2nd.

After declaring my love for the Necrons, I decided to play AGAINST the necrons with every race, trying to find their weakness. I also discovered that some races simply have a very large handicap fighting against the necrons, specifically, Imperials and Eldar.

Also, every strategy to beating them envolved ignoring their entire force and striking at their base, something that kinda seems against the earlier principles of encouraging middle map battles.

No. I think, from my experience, the two hardest races to go up against a necron is another necron (Starts with a guessing game then evolves into a base gank slugfest), and orks.

Eldar shouldn't have much problem vs. necrons because of FoF and warlocks early game. Mid game and late game will pretty much result in a loss for Eldar everytime though.

IG should DEFINITELY NOT have much problem vs. necrons. You have relatively early access to artillery options plus the new "Let it burn" ability on hellhounds will DESTROY any massed necron formation. The core advantage guards have though is early access to mass disruption - G launchers on guards.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Company of Heroes has got to be the only RTS I've played aside from Total Annihilation in which I can tolerate, and even enjoy the skirmish mode. The AI selections are pretty well balanced, being neither too stupid nor too smart at any time.

baelstren

Educated
Patron
Insert Title Here
Quigs said:
Immortals seem to have powerfull guns, but are too few in number, and dont seem to get the job done against armor, so I leave em out.

Immortals are excellent against vehicles and structures. Just keep them out of close combat.

Kairal

Novice
Imps are awesome tier2. Their basic infantry with plasma and using the commisars execute will annihilate NW with ease. Necrons are still annoying but IG probably have the easiest time of anyone (at least anyone who's fighting fairly). Early zerks for chaos or Land Speeders for Marines will do bad, bad things to Necrons.

Ryuken

Liturgist
baelstren said:
Quigs said:
Immortals seem to have powerfull guns, but are too few in number, and dont seem to get the job done against armor, so I leave em out.

Immortals are excellent against vehicles and structures. Just keep them out of close combat.
Idd, their range is pretty good for that.

CrusaderTemplar

Liturgist
Eldar owns pretty much. My strat is Howling Banshees and Dark Reapers and pretty much save 5 Squad cap for avatar of khaine. Squad Cap boosted to 24 and Vehicle Cap to 30. Two Fire prisms and 10 Vypers. Easily Annilihation. Well thats when the people i play against usually leaves.

psycojester

Arbiter
As an eldar player whats your opinion on the Harlequin, to me it seems to be the most useless of the new units. 600 health and no way of avoiding area effects does not a useful unit make.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
kingcomrade said:
Specific unit caps? Looks like they've got the Blizzard "Balancing Is Hard; You Will Play This Game Only One Way" bug.
I have to agree. The unit balancing in Dawn of War must be pretty fucked up if they have to introduce specific unit limits in order to "fix it".

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Sovard said:
kingcomrade said:

They don't want you to have several elite squads of units. Rather than drive down their value and effect by having half a dozen, the limits make them presences on the battlefield.

It has several ways of looking at it, as always. That's just my take.

CrusaderTemplar

Liturgist
psycojester said:
As an eldar player whats your opinion on the Harlequin, to me it seems to be the most useless of the new units. 600 health and no way of avoiding area effects does not a useful unit make.

Pretty much useless but the special abilities are just awesome to watch especially when using it on Imperial Guardsmen. Its only used is to annoy the player you are against. I rather use my extra 2 cap on something else like Howling Banshees...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom