Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company of Heroes 3 - set in the Mediterranean theatre

Drakortha

Liturgist
CoH1 was peak Relic. Just play that folks.

COH1 is almost impossible to play online if you are trying to jump into it now. You will be kicked out of every multiplayer lobby for having less than 1000 matches on your stats panel. I had to give up trying and went to COH2 automatch.

ferratilis

Magister
The most fun thing so far are all the strange bugs:
image.png

Alpharius

Scholar
Played this too for a while.
The Italian campaign kinda shit if one palyed previous coh games. The strategic map has little influence on tactical missions and the AI sucks so its quite easy to win any fight, unless you use auto resolve. But you get much less resources and xp with auto resolve and might actually lose. So its always makes more sense to not use auto-resolve.

Sort of like dawn of war dark crusade campaign, but there it was very possible to lose fights (e.g. if enemy retinue has several vehicles but you have no defending anti-vehicle units) and getting new retinue units of your own as a reward for controlling sectors made fights significanlty easier.

Here, i've found the quickest way to win a mission is to make a few m8 scout cars and base rape the AI, usually takes less than 5 minutes but gets old real fast. :negative:

Also played some MP 1v1 games and there is still no ranked automatch. :what:
What was the point of releasing the game like that - i have no idea. The twitch streamers and mp connoisseurs are unlikely to play it much until the ranked automatch is in. And by the time they add it back the interest in the game will wane significantly.

I think the Relic made the same mistake with dow3?

DemonKing

Arcane
After playing for a week or so they actually managed to produced a fairly balanced multiplayer game despite having four separate factions. They still need to fix some UI and sound issues and some of the 1v1 maps are just slightly smaller versions of team maps, but overall it's off to a decent start.

Haven't tried the Italian campaign yet as it's supposed to be buggy as hell but played the first 3 missions of the DAK in single player and they were kind of fun and definitely "classic" COH in the way they were presented. Amusingly your handful of units are getting directly microed by Rommel himself.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Reminds me of the initial release of opposing fronts.

Had a shell from a Tiger ping off an engineers helmet, hard to beat.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Reminds me of the initial release of opposing fronts.

Had a shell from a Tiger ping off an engineers helmet, hard to beat.

Opposing fronts closed beta was fun, SAS gliders used to work realistically, that is people abused the fact they were super accurate to mow down scores of enemy infantry for cheap. They patched it out so that the gliders just pushed away infantry.

I also remember a bug in Vanilla CoH where a garrisoned sniper got a turbo buff to the rate of fire to something like half a second per shot.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
2023! We should have an epic Command & Conquer in a procedural/infinite size world by now.

DemonKing

Arcane
They introduced microtransactions this week for skins along with the standard in game currency system where you can earn points by completing daily/weekly quests, but forgot to disable the ability to earn points in custom games:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
They introduced microtransactions this week for skins along with the standard in game currency system where you can earn points by completing daily/weekly quests, but forgot to disable the ability to earn points in custom games:

And naturally, the devs were lightning quick to fix this.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Did this flop in sales/reception?
Critical reception was good but the community have been review bombing it on Steam. I find it a decent game with some good QAL improvements and four reasonably balanced factions but apparently it angered a lot of fans because it didn't have as many maps, balance passes and battlegroups/commanders as the 10 year old COH2...there's literally people who've played the game for hundreds of hours giving it negative reviews. I don't know about you but the only way I'd play a game for hundreds of hours was if I actually enjoyed it.

Not sure if these redundancies are anything more than the usual house cleaning that goes on after a big release or an indicator of a deeper malaise.

L'ennui

Magister
It's a pretty decent game but I feel like I'm wasting wasting my time (even more than usual) whenever I play it, since I know in a few months/years it will be much more fleshed out, balanced, etc. I'm also waiting to see whether they actually deliver on their promise for expanded modding support, as that will make or break the game over the long term for me and my group (who are all still on CoH2).

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Did this flop in sales/reception?
Critical reception was good but the community have been review bombing it on Steam. I find it a decent game with some good QAL improvements and four reasonably balanced factions but apparently it angered a lot of fans because it didn't have as many maps, balance passes and battlegroups/commanders as the 10 year old COH2...there's literally people who've played the game for hundreds of hours giving it negative reviews. I don't know about you but the only way I'd play a game for hundreds of hours was if I actually enjoyed it.

Not sure if these redundancies are anything more than the usual house cleaning that goes on after a big release or an indicator of a deeper malaise.

Not having the commander system from CoH2 was a massive decline tbh fam.

DemonKing

Arcane
Not having the commander system from CoH2 was a massive decline tbh fam.
Well the Battlegroups are essentially the same thing - would be nice to have more than 3 per faction though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom