Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commissioning concept artwork

soggie

Educated
I'm planning to contract a second artist specifically to draw mood-setting environmental concept artwork (like this).

While my current contract artist's pretty competent, they're knee deep in the development of the first milestone, and I have a hard time communicating them too, english being their second language.

Right now I have one offering me $250 per piece, which will eventually run into $3250 for 13 pieces of concept artwork (which doubles as title/loading screens). I am haggling for a drop to $200 per piece, which would yield the final cost of $2600 - a MUCH more affordable price.

What do you guys think? Should I proceed or should I take more time and look for a volunteer to do it for free instead?

denizsi

Arcane
Why don't you just try recruiting artfags from deviant art and the like? There are too many people producing good art for nothing.

soggie

Educated
denizsi said:
Why don't you just try recruiting artfags from deviant art and the like? There are too many people producing good art for nothing.

It's difficult to guaranty productivity from volunteers though. I'm concerned that procrastination would risk my development timetable.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, try finding someone cheaper before going with the current one. It's not like we're in a rush to get concept artwork. You might try browsing deviantart for stuff you like and then check if the artists do commissions and how much they charge.

You might end up paying less than a hundred bucks per painting that way.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Holy shit, these people ask $250 for one drawing/painting?? How much does a professional artist at a studio make?

Just spam forums and deviantart, some kid will be willing to draw something for $50 or less.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
JarlFrank said:
Yeah, try finding someone cheaper before going with the current one. It's not like we're in a rush to get concept artwork. You might try browsing deviantart for stuff you like and then check if the artists do commissions and how much they charge.

You might end up paying less than a hundred bucks per painting that way.

Yea, that 200$ per piece is insane.

soggie

Educated
I don't know, I think the quality of the work is reasonable. He's really good in capturing my requirements. First concept shot took only 2 revisions, and the second revision is only to increase the number of rain droplets. Also, we kind of settled on a more reasonable price than $250, so it's quite okay. I can't reveal the exact price here though.

Here's the work:

the-wildlands-concept.jpg

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
soggie said:
What do you guys think? Should I proceed or should I take more time and look for a volunteer to do it for free instead?
If you can, contact your local Uni and see if there are any arts students willing to do some work for you (print a notice and stick it on a noticeboard). Hiring one of them for a month at $500 a week will get you more artwork than you can poke a stick at.

Jaesun said:
Yea, that 200$ per piece is insane.
Actually it's pretty standard (albeit a bit on the cheap side). Especially for professional designers. Good ones are $75 USD per hour up, one I've worked with was $150 USD an hour.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DarkUnderlord said:
soggie said:
If you can, contact your local Uni and see if there are any arts students willing to do some work for you (print a notice and stick it on a noticeboard). Hiring one of them for a month at $500 a week will get you more artwork than you can poke a stick at.

this.

edit: That concept are is pretty fucking cool.

soggie

Educated
Thanks. I'm not so sure to put good money into university student hands, considering the level of quality we have here, and their obsession with anime styled art, but I'll start there.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Its to late I guess but you could have posted it here, in the Employment forum.
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/

I also dont think its a good idea to commission that right now, before the game is finished. I mean, its not concept work per se, you dont need it to model something. Its illustration.

soggie

Educated
BethesdaLove said:
Its to late I guess but you could have posted it here, in the Employment forum.
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/

I also dont think its a good idea to commission that right now, before the game is finished. I mean, its not concept work per se, you dont need it to model something. Its illustration.

I strongly disagree. Concept artwork is one of the most important pieces in the pre-production pipeline to ensure that everybody understands the general art direction and mood that the game is supposed to take.

This is even more important if you have contracted artists working for you, as words can only convey so much meaning. You'll either have to trust their own artistic intuition (which would be an extremely stupid and money wasting thing to do), or have them use the conceptual artwork as a reference point. After all, an image often speaks tons more than words.

zeitgeist

Magister
Unless you're hiring them strictly for mood pieces (and plan on hiring additional concept artists for actual characters and detailed work later on), ask to see some traditionally done anatomy studies that clearly show proper technical construction of human bodies from volumes. Even for mood pieces, some landscapes and architectural studies would be good too.

soggie

Educated
zeitgeist said:
Unless you're hiring them strictly for mood pieces (and plan on hiring additional concept artists for actual characters and detailed work later on), ask to see some traditionally done anatomy studies that clearly show proper technical construction of human bodies from volumes. Even for mood pieces, some landscapes and architectural studies would be good too.

I used to have a PHD professor in architecture in the team before he got too caught up with work to contribute.

I think for now I'll finish up the proposed 13 pieces of conceptual art (11 towns and 2 mood pieces), and then stop all commissions until I can find a good conceptual artist. Good thing is my contracted modelling artist can do concept work too. Bad thing is he is from Ukraine, and communicating requirements over is a pretty involved affair, resulting in more revisions than is needed.

soggie

Educated
DramaticPopcorn said:
Hate to be a dick, but goddamn, "Wildlands", really?

Also, mysterious guy with a dog is a bit cliché

Hard to call a tropical jungle a "wasteland", aint it?

I like dogs. They're nice organic alarm bells when travelling in a jungle alone, especially one filled with wild beasts. Cats would just run away.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I do concept art, 10$ very cheap highest quality

the-wildlands-concept2.jpg

PorkaMorka

Arcane
What percent of your game's budget is going to be spent on concept art assuming you go with the 3250$?

You don't have to tell us* but just figure out the percentage for yourself and see if it's really appropriate to spend so much.

* please tell us

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Jesus, so this is not some 1-man dream game like AoD? Damn...

Will you be releasing on Friday?

soggie said:
That's approximately 12-13% of the entire art budget.
So... You'll spend somewhere around 30 000$... On art alone?

Are you a lottery millionaire or something?

I didn't have much faith in this game initially, now I know that it won't get made.

Try at least to make the engine before blowing all your money on pictures.

soggie

Educated
@BethesdaLove

Nope, friday's taken up by InfestedRL. And then saturday's taken up by my month-long commercial game challenge - Evolution Chamber. This leaves sunday open only.

@herostratus

Is $30,000 that much? I can save up that much in 2 years, without having to pinch pennies, and I'm just on a middle-level pay grade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom