Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commander the great war has been released and nobody gave a shit.

kris

Arcane
close combat isn't a strategy game, but I get your drift as it is still called that in media.

I also got what you were saying, I just viewed what he wrote from another angle.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I discovered I totally sucks at the western front. While Hapsburk monarchy started to build that second battleship for adriatic, Germany was forced to fight on western front, Serbia, and in eastern Prussia. Which made them bit overwhelmed.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
???
There is freaking completely working patched pirate game.

And when I think about that, I had some demo which didn't work well on my PC, because it was too buggy and limited.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
BTW BIG WARNING.

IF you have patch 1.5.1 and you are playing Germany, it's the hard mode when you use balanced AI. They messed with free upkeep limit, and you never seen so many French divisions everywhere, or UK divisions on Sinai. (Of course France is easy mode.)

Multiplayer should be fine (mostly), but if you are playing against AI, prepare you butt for whipping. I'm using 1.3.0 version now.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Aww, i'm kinda holding my own, and from what i recall the central powers are the hard mode as well. I thought there was something fucked up though, so many russians on the east it's mindboggling. From when i played the entente my manpower was fine, its russian production of new units that was shit for me.

Just managed to finish serbia off with the austrians and swing north just as the lyric suites entered the war, i'm reinforcing and upgrading as i move them into positions. Kebab is holding the line at gaza as that's where the brits are sending all their dudes as i blocked their transports and fucked up the RN in the channel.

Fun game though, hope they go back and expand on it after the inevitable WWII version.

oscar

Arcane
Replaying this as Entente and having a blast.

Fucked up the defence of Cairo though (misunderstood a hex and the Ottomans got a large force through) and the Middle Eastern front has turned into a nightmare with my landed forces struggling to maintain the British presence there (amusingly I had to ship over Italians of all people to hold the place up).

Britain's production seems a little wacky. I'm having a hell of a time supporting even a modest army size due to upkeep. I guess I'm meant to budget between the convoy arrivals, but it seems like I purchased far too many units (trying to retake Egypt which I won't abandon out of pride) and its messed me up.

Serbia have been the heroes of this game :salute: fending off Austro-German incursions (and even pushing into Austria) as well as juggling the Bulgarians even as their manpower goes into the red. Italy and Russia have also kicked a fair bit of ass. Britain for the above mentioned reasons have been a joke, getting their asses handed to them by Turks.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well that looks nice then, winning easily is not my cup of tea. Can you only play like one nation and set everything else AI or are you forced to control a whole alliance?

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Well that looks nice then, winning easily is not my cup of tea. Can you only play like one nation and set everything else AI or are you forced to control a whole alliance?
No, this is not how this works. There are only two 'nations', Entente and Central Powers and you get to play more and more of them as the game progresses. For example, when Russia joins turn 11 their units and territory gets unlocked.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Goddamn, this game. Germans encircled most of my Russian army, Austrians are finally pushing through my Serbian lines and those bloody Turks are making a mess of the middle east. And I still know I got a shot at this because I blockade the Central Powers, finally liberated Brussels and am seeing a marked drop-off in enemy numbers on the Western Front during my continued offensives there. Let's find out who caves in first.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The setup for campaigns is retarded as fuck. In 1914 Serbia has more troops than Austria, Germany has never heard of Schlieffen plan apparently or mobilization for that matter. Meanwhile Kriegsmarine destroyed RN without losses. Then Russian hordes come.

As a man who read "Guns of August" recently I am hugely disappointed.

I'm in the middle of reading Guns of August and have come very close to buying. Your post makes me glad I didn't. It may be a great strategy game, but if it's that ahistorical I'll just go back to Alea Jact Est or WitE

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Goddamn, this game. Germans encircled most of my Russian army, Austrians are finally pushing through my Serbian lines and those bloody Turks are making a mess of the middle east. And I still know I got a shot at this because I blockade the Central Powers, finally liberated Brussels and am seeing a marked drop-off in enemy numbers on the Western Front during my continued offensives there. Let's find out who caves in first.
Entente is fairly easy going, you just have to wither the initial storm. :M

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm in the middle of reading Guns of August and have come very close to buying. Your post makes me glad I didn't. It may be a great strategy game, but if it's that ahistorical I'll just go back to Alea Jact Est or WitE

Scenario set ups seem totally fantasy based. They could at least throw in a historical one. And cut a lot of garrison troops, for Austria its most of their army at the start, same for Germany.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played it a bit but having no option to choose one nation sucks a lot; also the infantry unsupported by guns has to easy routing troops in defensive; its WWI one where Companies of Rifflemen entrenched and with support of couple HMGs and mortars moved down entire advancing Battalions not BLITZ Krieg... So you have to go into offensive with Serbia or Worst Kraut will over run you in 4th turn.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually I think these guns represent heavy batteries, and these ammo represents heavy barrages.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Three takeaways from this game so far:

1) Narrator dude reminds me of Myth: The Fallen Lords, instantly nostalgic and awesome.
2) Music at times reminds me of Arcanum, see above.
3) Game reminds me of R.E. Lee Civil War General, with research/production etc. added into the mix, and of course an ongoing campaign rather than battles.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ok, I played way too much of this game over the weekend.

Balance seems off and way too far in the Entente's favor, both historically and for fun. I tried the Central Powers first and restarted 4 times, then tried the Entente, then went back to the Central powers once. The last game I haven't finished yet. The first four games I was in the process of losing by mid 1915. The Entente game I won by winter 1915 and the writing was on the wall well before. Austria is near useless and Germany harder time on the Eastern front than they did in real life. The quality difference between the Russian and German troops is not represented well.

Now personally, I'm not great at attacking in this game. It wasn't until the final game I figured out how to push through in Serbia and I still struggle attacking France compared to what the AI did to me. But still, I easily defeated the AI so the initial push didn't matter that much.

Artillery seems both underpowered and overly expensive ammunitionwise. I get they don't want players just spamming the things, but Austria can only fire an artillery battery 2 times every 5 turns, and that's if you avoid using ship bombardment. Which would be dumb, since the battleship gives you way more bang for the buck. Germany can fire 1 artillery battery once every turn, which means you choose either western front or eastern front, and this means not using the zeppelin unit you start with or your ships again. This is not particularly fun, nor does it add much strategy. Meanwhile the Entente powers have nothing to spend their ammunition on most of the time, build up a huge stockpile and then unleash hell once Germany's advance has been stopped.

Germany and Austria should start with a sizable stockpile of ammunition I think, maybe 50 and 20 respectively. Or screw Austria if you want, but Germany should.

Fighter planes seem slightly overpowered, especially compared to real life. Although they cancel each other out, so maybe the moral is keep up with your enemy.

The time delay on buying units leads to weird happenings in the first 4 turns each power enters the war. It would make more sense if maybe they started with units in the production queue.

Huge protip for anyone struggling with running out of money: sell off your starting lab on any non-infantry tech path. This goes double for the Central powers. Turkey isn't going to do shit with Artillery tech. Austria could use some of the techs, but navy is definitely right out, and I said before how infrequently they'll be shooting artillery, so the investment cost just doesn't make sense. Not only do you get an injection of cash right away, but not paying upkeep on the labs is huge.

The final game I played, where I have slim chance with the Central powers, I sold all of Austria's except infantry, sold Germany's navy lab, and Turkey's artillery lab. This gave me enough money with Austria to keep throwing fresh troops at Serbia and fend off the Russians. Previously, I couldn't break through Serbia or I'd get overrun by Russia. I probably should have sold more with Germany, but I couldn't bring myself to. I want my tanks :(

With the Entent, France and Russia don't need navy tech, and England doesn't need artillery tech. The others are all a judgement call. With England I like to double down on airforce technology. It's easier to get planes across the channel or use them straight from your own island.

Also, use fore knowledge and place units to be ready before a front actually opens up. The AI does, so it's not cheating anymore than they do.

I hope you all enjoyed my wall of text.

Last edited:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Sell your starting fleet as CP. This wont just free up additional capacity but also reduce your upkeep, so you can spam all that infantry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom