Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Commander Shephard is dead? Not bloody likely.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Seboss said:
The Giths can rebuild him. They have the technology. They can make him better than he was. Better…stronger…faster

If so, he returns as a level one badass, that sucks since everyone else on the galaxy that he encounters from now on is a level 20 badass.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Seboss said:
The Giths can rebuild him. They have the technology. They can make him better than he was. Better…stronger…faster

Is that you, Sarah Kerrigan?

denizsi

Arcane
He'll come back out of nowhere, thinking he was only gone for a few minutes and never died :BSG 401:

I'd really love to play a main character that works for Cerberus in ME 2. 99% chance that they'll just be another pile of fresh bodies to kill though.

Shannow

Waster of Time
You're Shephard's child. Your daddy disappears from the <s>vau</s>...space ship. You start out searching for him but your journey will be one of maturing, self-discovery, love, loss and extreme water purification.
When you finally find your daddy he is an evil robot pretending to be the galactic president and grows rape tentacles that you can only defeat by covering them in saliva and poo.

There, neatly combined the "best" of all console RPGs.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Lesifoere said:
Is that you, Sarah Kerrigan?

Sarah_Kerrigan_by_fluxen.jpg

Mantiis

Cipher
Sarah Kerrigan isnt Sarah Kerrigan anymore, they are getting a diffrent voice actor for Starcraft 2 for some reason.

Mantiis said:
Sarah Kerrigan isnt Sarah Kerrigan anymore, they are getting a diffrent voice actor for Starcraft 2 for some reason.

Probably because they have enough money now that they can get voice actors with a bigger name. Hell, they have enough money that they could probably get relatively big names and have them do whatever with all the WoW gold.

Blizzard VO Director: Okay Jennifer, we want you to do that line again, but with more malice, and while wearing this clown suit and this live blue-ringed octopus on your head. Oh, and here's some incentive...

*opens the Blizzard Vault that is overflowing with gold, gems, the Ark of the Covenant, and Tupac Shakur's cryogenically frozen body*

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Where does the desire to be dominated by women originate from? I mean, the media is
full with "powerful woman" characters and mostly men enjoy this kind of dominatrix style
chicks. Now, I get where the lolita stuff evolutionary comes from but this?

Lurkar

Scholar
BethesdaLove said:
Now, I get where the lolita stuff evolutionary comes from

No, you don't. Evolutionary Psychology is complete bullshit.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Evolutionary psychology is accepted in animals. Sex drive is the most primal instinct there is.

His story will merge with that of Commander Sheppard from HL:Opposing Force, ala Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower' series. ME's sheppard is dead, but HL's Sheppard will go through a portal, to discover that he is now in the ME world, as a living version of ME's Sheppard, and that he now has a strange urge to grab collars and mate with aliens while ignoring the thought of how badly extra-terrestrial STDs could mess with your immune system...

BethesdaLove said:
Where does the desire to be dominated by women originate from? I mean, the media is
full with "powerful woman" characters and mostly men enjoy this kind of dominatrix style
chicks. Now, I get where the lolita stuff evolutionary comes from but this?

(a) cause it's damn sexy,
(b) because a powerful man and a powerful woman are more likely to have powerful offspring, AND are more likely to be able to raise them to be powerful.

When you look at a potential wife, just keep in mind that your daughter will probably grow up to be like her. Personally, I'd want my daughter to be assertive, intelligent and independent, like my wife. But hey, if you'd rather you kids be submissive hos that shag the highschool football team, not because they're sexually confident and like a gangbang, but because they have no self-esteem and do what they're told, then by all means go for that submissive waif type.

From what I've noticed, people like to date people who are similar to them. Powerful, confident guys go for powerful, confident women (I'm not so sure about in the US though - you guys seem to be a lot more $$$-focussed, and WAY more sexually repressed, which seems to screw things up). Dweeby pathetic guys can't handle powerful women, which is why certain infamous members of the codex can't deal with independent women.

oh yeah, and (c) did I mention how damn sexy it is, not to mention awesome, to have a wife who is happy to be the primary earner as an engineer, so that I can fuck about being an academic philosopher, part-time actor, etc (seriously, she made it a condition of our getting married that I had to quit law first - 'hon, we have the income between us that you don't need to stay in a job you find boring - I'd much rather have a philosophy writer as a husband than a stressed out lawyer') - FUCK YEAH:)

edit: the evolutionary part is obviously point (b) - intelligent, adaptive, powerful woman leads to having intelligent, adaptive, powerful children, which makes it more likely those children will survive and reproduce, hence more likely for genetic material to be passed on.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Azrael the cat said:
oh yeah, and (c) did I mention how damn sexy it is, not to mention awesome, to have a wife who is happy to be the primary earner as an engineer, so that I can fuck about being an academic philosopher, part-time actor, etc

Yes. And all decisions of importance are made by her. So, you want a new car? How about you pay for it yourself, sucker! Btw I am working late tonight, make dinner, bitch!

Sexy indeed. And awesome.

BethesdaLove said:
Azrael the cat said:
oh yeah, and (c) did I mention how damn sexy it is, not to mention awesome, to have a wife who is happy to be the primary earner as an engineer, so that I can fuck about being an academic philosopher, part-time actor, etc

Yes. And all decisions of importance are made by her. So, you want a new car? How about you pay for it yourself, sucker! Btw I am working late tonight, make dinner, bitch!

Lol, not really, or else I wouldn't have dated, let alone married her. Just like I would never use earning ability to exert relationship power if I were the main earner.

And even if you were shit enough to get into a relationship where earnings turned into relationship power - 3 words loser - learn to fuck:) - being good in the sack will get you further than any amount of income...

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Azrael the cat said:
BethesdaLove said:
Azrael the cat said:

Lol, not really, or else I wouldn't have dated, let alone married her. Just like I would never use earning ability to exert relationship power if I were the main earner.

And even if you were shit enough to get into a relationship where earnings turned into relationship power - 3 words loser - learn to fuck:) - being good in the sack will get you further than any amount of income...

Nobody is using it openly/offensively. Its a sleight of hand. It comes in handy in hard situations. I've seen one marriage where the woman was The main earner and the man was "babysitting" and I tell you, I don't wanna be in that situation. I mean, he had to ask her for her opinion on every fucking thing. And when they were at friends and he was tired of it, he had to weasel around with her to get out of there. Over the years this kinda dominance grows and you end up sucking dick... well, she has none but its figurative. You end up like Marcy Darcy's husband in Married with Children. Way to go, son.

Still doesn't compute - let's say that at worst I'm a terrible judge of character - so in 20 years time I get a divorce, the house, the kids, child support and most of her savings (as a lawyer I can assure you that in Australia - like the US from what I hear - family law is heavily weighted against the primary earner, whether they're male or female). I still end up ahead.

But anyway, there's a distinction between earning capacity and authority over income. For a start, we have a joint bank account, so it isn't like anyone would be able to 'surreptitiously' cut the other's spending. That's an advantage of having both partners financially savy - you don't need to worry about how much little miss is going to rack up on your credit account.

And again, you greatly underestimate the relationship power of sex.

Besides, I'm talking from experience. With both my parents and her parents, the woman was the primary earner, and both have solid and happy marriages with equal power. Not bad given how many marriages end up either miserable or in divorce. That's part of what a good relationship is all about - you can't be in love with someone (whether in the 'less-than-5-years-in-and-still-fresh' sense, or the 'married-for-20-years-sense') and seriously consider wielding authority over them. I'm not saying that things will be as great when we've been married for 40 years as they are now when we've only been together for 5 years (including dating etc beforehand), but your scenario is neither borne out by the experience of our folks, the law regarding divorce settlements or our relationship. Given that most people turn out like their parents, our odds are pretty darn good. As are the odds of my daughter/s turning out to be strong and independent women I can be proud of.

Pretty much every guy I've ever met who has difficulty dating a higher-earning woman (again OUTSIDE of the US, where the combination of $$$-focus and sexual repression screws up relationships anyway - as is borne out statistically by their divorce rate) is either (a) bitter about being single and blames womens' independence (rather than his obnoxiousness and ineptitude) for not being able to find one that will sleep with him, let alone go out with him, (b) a teenager who is still all angry and confused about the opposite sex, relying on tired cliches to guide him through, doesn't know the first thing about being competent at dating or sex and is stuck with girls who are in the same messy and angry time of life, or (c) someone 50+ whose own marriage is either miserable or divorced, and wants to blame women rather than himself.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
Still doesn't compute - let's say that at worst I'm a terrible judge of character - so in 20 years time I get a divorce, the house, the kids, child support and most of her savings (as a lawyer I can assure you that in Australia - like the US from what I hear - family law is heavily weighted against the primary earner, whether they're male or female). I still end up ahead.

Has nothing to do with being a terrible judge of character. Change is the most constant thing in the universe. Situations change, People change. A lot! of marriages go wrong.
Btw, now you are a lawyer? Thats not exactly low earnings for ya...

But anyway, there's a distinction between earning capacity and authority over income. For a start, we have a joint bank account, so it isn't like anyone would be able to 'surreptitiously' cut the other's spending.

As I said before, it's not authority. It's subtle. Who does what, how you say something and so on.

And again, you greatly underestimate the relationship power of sex.

And you seem to have never seen Marcy Darcy's husband xD

Besides, I'm talking from experience. With both my parents and her parents, the woman was the primary earner, and both have solid and happy marriages with equal power. Not bad given how many marriages end up either miserable or in divorce.

So, your family is completely different from the others who end up either miserable or in divorce. You are untouchable.

but your scenario is neither borne out by the experience of our folks, the law regarding divorce settlements or our relationship.

My scenario was a troll attempt from the beginning. Its a generalisation based on a semi stereotype. But I seem to have pressed the right buttons. You start to explore your position regardless your better half - à la what do I get if we divorce =)))

Given that most people turn out like their parents, our odds are pretty darn good. As are the odds of my daughter/s turning out to be strong and independent women I can be proud of.

Odds outside of math are based on statistics. I dont have one regarding "dominance in one-earner marriages after 5 years"...

Pretty much every guy I've ever met who has difficulty dating a higher-earning woman (again OUTSIDE of the US, where the combination of $$$-focus and sexual repression screws up relationships anyway - as is borne out statistically by their divorce rate) is either (a) bitter about being single and blames womens' independence (rather than his obnoxiousness and ineptitude) for not being able to find one that will sleep with him, let alone go out with him, (b) a teenager who is still all angry and confused about the opposite sex, relying on tired cliches to guide him through, doesn't know the first thing about being competent at dating or sex and is stuck with girls who are in the same messy and angry time of life, or (c) someone 50+ whose own marriage is either miserable or divorced, and wants to blame women rather than himself.

You seem so knowledgeable and intelligent. Cleve?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom