Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Command & Conquer 4 goes Ubisoft way

Suchy

Arcane
http://forums.commandandconquer.com/jfo ... 35920.page

First thing to be clear about, Command & Conquer 4 has NO DRM. Zip, zero, zilch, none. We already made this clear.

Second, you do not need the disc in the machine to play Command & Conquer 4, however the following is how it works:

-AFTER you install Command & Conquer 4 with the disc on your machine, when you try to LOGIN at the Launcher for the first time, it will ask you for your serial key. You will enter in your serial key to activate your Master EA Account. The serial key, like in our past games, can only be activated for 1 master account. You cannot install multiple EA Master accounts on one serial key. You can create multiple Commander Personas however, so if you and your brothers each want your own Persona account with experience, etc, you can do that. Just has to be under the same Master EA account as in our past games.

-You can install the game from the disc as many times as you want on any machine. Re-install, etc.

-You do not need the disc in your machine to play. Your EA account just needs to have been activated by your serial key. After that, you can play Command & Conquer 4 on ANY MACHINE that has it installed. All you need to do is login.

-To play Command & Conquer 4, the computer needs to be connected to the internet. We've always made that clear as well.

So there ya go, no DRM, no disc in the drive necessary, just activate your account with your serial key and presto, you're ready to go. It's actually much easier than before.
:smug:

Personally I don't give a shit about C&C (or any RTS game in general), just thought I'd share with our prestigeous cesspool.

After that, you can play Command & Conquer 4 on ANY MACHINE that has it installed. All you need to do is login.

So before I couldn't play a game in a machine where it was installed?

So there ya go, no DRM, no disc in the drive necessary, just activate your account with your serial key and presto, you're ready to go. It's actually much easier than before.

But does he mean before before, or before before? Because before before, I didn't need any login or internet shit to play an offline game

Luzur

Good Sir
so in about 5-10 years when the EA server is down for good the game is worthless in its legal form.

random_encounter

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:
But does he mean before before, or before before? Because before before, I didn't need any login or internet shit to play an offline game
Likely he was referring to what they used with Red Alert 3 or Spore...confirm once for account activation online, play offline w/o disc if needed, no internet connection needed Ubisoft-style. I'd rather have a nice serial number instead.

Or having it run until it quizzed you with a paragraph lookup. Codewheels were also fun.

Great, another game I'll have to think twice about.

Luzur said:
so in about 5-10 years when the EA server is down for good the game is worthless in its legal form.
They'll likely provide a patch if that ever happens to flip a flag in the code. That, or someone else will find a way around it before then.

ever

Scholar
Company of Heroes uses the same system and I don't think its too bad.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
First thing to be clear about, Command & Conquer 4 has NO DRM. Zip, zero, zilch, none. We already made this clear.
To play Command & Conquer 4, the computer needs to be connected to the internet. We've always made that clear as well.

Digital rights management (DRM) is a generic term for access control technologies that can be used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals to impose limitations on the usage of digital content and devices. The term is used to describe any technology that inhibits uses of digital content not desired or intended by the content provider.

:retarded:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Luzur said:

Why do you assume anyone would still play this game in 5-10 years?

This is not how these companies think. They assume you're gonna buy the game and forget about it in half a year when the next new shit arrives.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I have no need for all that DRM stuff. I like it how Interplay was doing it in Fallout times.
My Fallout install is 5 years old and it survives 3 windows re-installs and an OS change.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Apparently they've changed the game so much that you build units in 5 seconds from a mobile walker that respawns when destroyed. Not something I was going to buy anyway.

Salus

Novice
I can't wait to see if EA blames piracy if the game "under performs." Then someone will have to explain to them that it wasn't that people we're pirating the games it was that nobody wanted it. Of course none of their previous games we're that great either, but they still had basebuilding and not just for a single aspect of each of the faction.

Luzur

Good Sir
FeelTheRads said:
Luzur said:

Why do you assume anyone would still play this game in 5-10 years?

This is not how these companies think. They assume you're gonna buy the game and forget about it in half a year when the next new shit arrives.

i still isntall games like Might and Magic III and Command & Conquer1, but then again those are good games while this will probably be EA shit as usual (flashback to Red Alert 3, lots of boobs)

MetalCraze

Arcane
I guarantee you that there will be retards saying that C&C4 has no DRM among EA customer sheeple.

Prove me wrong.

coaster

Liturgist
They seem to have forgotten to specify what happens if your connection drops. Hmmm...

You mean this?

It's even more badly implemented than the AC2 DRM - at least in theory, since AC2 is supposed to pause at the point your connection drops & you can save offline. However, lots of AC2 players seem to keep having their save games deleted, either online or offline, due to some bug. Not sure which is worse.

As C&C4 is total fail with or without DRM, I don't care much but I wouldn't mind a go at AC2, if they patch out the DRM and fix the savegame fuckiness.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Luzur said:
i still isntall games like Might and Magic III
re(rerere...)played it a few months ago. This game is still awesome 20 years later.

random_encounter

Educated
Just read that article. Wonderful. They're following Ubisoft's example, but can't even get that part right.

Was interested in the game, but not anymore. I'll probably catch the highlights on Youtube.

C&C4 is out in Europe tomorrow. Our review isn't on sale just yet, but I can tell you we didn't much care for the game.
Saying this makes me more curious to see what they have to say about it than the usual "OMG, we have the FIRST REVIEW OF C&C4!!!".

Luzur said:
i still isntall games like Might and Magic III and Command & Conquer1, but then again those are good games while this will probably be EA shit as usual (flashback to Red Alert 3, lots of boobs)
Same here. I just installed Fallout 2 recently along with Freespace 2. I should really finish Dark Earth.

DemonKing

Arcane
ever said:
Company of Heroes uses the same system and I don't think its too bad.

You can play CoH without an internet connectiona s long as the disc is in the drive.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Zed said:
To play Command & Conquer 4, the computer needs to be connected to the internet. We've always made that clear as well.

Digital rights management (DRM) is a generic term for access control technologies that can be used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals to impose limitations on the usage of digital content and devices. The term is used to describe any technology that inhibits uses of digital content not desired or intended by the content provider.
Newspeak FTW.

Micmu

Magister
What I find it extra funny how they can treat their customers as BRAINLESS IMBECILES and get away with it. (Well, probably because they are...)
No DRM AT ALL!11 but you need to be connected to our servers!1!

entertainer

Arbiter
DraQ said:
Funny that anyone needs to think about buying such game even once.

micmu said:
What I find it extra funny how they can treat their customers as BRAINLESS IMBECILES and get away with it. (Well, probably because they are...)

some dumbfuck said:
You know what impresses me the most? That EA is actually successfully innovating with the C&C franchise and not just phoning it in. Nice work guys.

:smug:

:lol:

entertainer said:

Well, he does have part of it right. They admitted they were trying to simplify everything to bring in people who didn't normally play RTS games. Ignoring the fact that those people still won't play this, because it's still an RTS. Just a neutered one on training wheels.

The kid definitely has nerdRAGE, though. He's trying to sound calm, but you can hear a great big :rage: bubbling under the surface.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom