Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Command and Conquer 3

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
In before comparisons to Starcraft.

Is it just me, or is this game really hard? I'm getting owned on Easy. Now, I've been playing it for a day, so obviously I don't have a lot of experience with the game. Right now I'm on the GDI mission where you are assaulting Sarajevo. I've been defeated three times now, I checked Gamefags and it said "lol mass railgun mammoths then farm EXP until they are all Epic." Is that seriously how you're supposed to beat the mission? That actually occured to me, and it was too lame to be my first (or, er, second or third) choice. The problem with this mission is just that you need a significant army at your base to defend against the nonstop attacks, your troops move much too slowly to defend and sortie.

I guess the thing is, how do you defend against Shadow Ops teams? Weeaboo dual wielding pistol stealth freaks who can rampage through your base, instagibbing your buildings. God I hate them. My <s>Space Marines</s> Zone Troopers are unable to deal with them (neither are my snipers or infantry).

Besides the Space Marines it feels like infantry is close to a waste of money in this game except as emergency defense.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Hmm, turns out massing Mammoths was pretty much the way to go. God, everything in this game is so god damn slow. Slow units in a game where units and buildings die quickly makes for a sometimes frustratiing games.

I rolled into their base with Mammoths, then it gave me some Juggernauts (SO GOD DAMN SLOW) and it was an easy mission from then. I could just artillery their generators, then hit them with the Ion Cannon.

Texas Red

Whiner
Why aren't you playing Rise of Legends? Much more aesthetically pleasing and more complicated.

Kraszu

Prophet
Being slow stops stealing, because you are to slow to take something psychically from inventory.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The problem with C&C3 is that the missions are either too easy or too damn hard. I was playing the NOD campaign, and I steamrolled through all the missions, until I stumbled upon one that needed you to capture some buildings in GDI and alien bases. Now, technically, that wouldn't be too hard, but the problem was, you start with only the construction yard, and need to build the whole base from the basics, while the enemies are fully developed.

And here comes the problem: You need to capture vital buildings, they mustn't be destroyed. BUT! the enemies fight amonst themselves, and by the time you recruit a goddamn saboteur, you get a "MISSION PHAILED, SUM BUILDING WAS DESTROYED LOL!" message, because the hordes of GDI tanks blasted through the alien defences.

I tried that mission several times, but in the end I got so frustrated I just quit it, and the game flew off my HDD.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Darth Roxor said:
The problem with C&C3 is that the missions are either too easy or too damn hard. I was playing the NOD campaign, and I steamrolled through all the missions, until I stumbled upon one that needed you to capture some buildings in GDI and alien bases. Now, technically, that wouldn't be too hard, but the problem was, you start with only the construction yard, and need to build the whole base from the basics, while the enemies are fully developed.

And here comes the problem: You need to capture vital buildings, they mustn't be destroyed. BUT! the enemies fight amonst themselves, and by the time you recruit a goddamn saboteur, you get a "MISSION PHAILED, SUM BUILDING WAS DESTROYED LOL!" message, because the hordes of GDI tanks blasted through the alien defences.

I tried that mission several times, but in the end I got so frustrated I just quit it, and the game flew off my HDD.
I won that by sheer tenacity. (the trick is to get hold of the central ground, destroy enemy resources and then quickly rush each of the bases with a new force).

And there's a harder mission after that. You've got to hold a base there. But the fun part is that the Scrin are sending a constant mass spam of air units there. The only solution was about 100 SAM nodes and equally many rocket teams, because you can't afford anything else. And THEN those FLYING FUCKING ARTILLERIES show up. Still beat it by a stroke of luck.

MetalCraze

Arcane
C&C3? Too damn hard missions? People are you fucking kidding me?
It's a fucking casual xbawks RTS with retarded gameplay mechanics and the only reason it can be hard to complete is because it's boring and dumbed down in every possible aspect. Heh EA tried to dumb down it so hard that they forgot to cut out radar which is useless and does not provide anything except the ability to build another buildings.

psycojester

Arbiter
skyway said:
C&C3? Too damn hard missions? People are you fucking kidding me?
It's a fucking casual xbawks RTS with retarded gameplay mechanics and the only reason it can be hard to complete is because it's boring and dumbed down in every possible aspect. Heh EA tried to dumb down it so hard that they forgot to cut out radar which is useless and does not provide anything except the ability to build another buildings.

This.

Nightjed

Liturgist
i only had trouble with nod's saboteur mission (you are out there, no money income, no construction yard, your defenses suck and both enemies have huuuge bases with lots of turrets), i solved it by stealing an alien node early (sending it to my base and using it to gather money), stealing tripods and attacking the gdi just after an alien squad failed

the worst thing about c&c3 was that the aliens didnt have a decent campaign, not even with kane's wrath, so now im hoping for red alert 3 to be decent...

edit: oh yeah, and there is a very very slight chance Tyberium might be worth playing, i loved battlezone and some previews said TB handles like BZ did :roll:

Nightjed

Liturgist
JoKa said:
the worst thing about c&c3 was that people still bought it.
oh, come on, it wasnt that bad, its true it wasnt better than starcraft, but it was still fun and fun games have been very rare lately

Darth Roxor said:
The problem with C&C3 is that the missions are either too easy or too damn hard.

I didn't bother to play it on hard after I finished with normal (why would anyone?), but other than dumb trial by error (there comes the mammoth tank caravan you couldn't have prepared for unless you had luck or had played this mission before) I can't remember any challenge.

Darth Roxor said:
I was playing the NOD campaign, and I steamrolled through all the missions, until I stumbled upon one that needed you to capture some buildings in GDI and alien bases. Now, technically, that wouldn't be too hard, but the problem was, you start with only the construction yard, and need to build the whole base from the basics, while the enemies are fully developed.

I thought that was pretty difficult, too, until I noticed that the enemies don't attack you unless you attack them yourself. So I wondered if there was some way to pause the game and issue multiple commands at the same time. Turns out there kinda is, though you don't pause the game but it doesn't matter since you're not being attacked yourself. So you simply capture all their buildings simultaneously and win.

Dumb game, eh?

MetalCraze

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
What was there to dumb down about CnC?
That was always a rhetorical question. But then C&C3 came out.
The whole map is opened from the start - you don't have to look for resources or explore at all. And lol - EA left a radar building which does nothing now - but if they would've cut it out - that would've broken the whole CnC construction tree.
You complete all missions by spamming mammoths - and you get them pretty early in the game. A goddamn superunit spam - again.
The AI is incredibly dumb and predictable. And easy. Even a little bit dumb C&C2's AI seems like a true tactical genius compared to this shit. I've played on normal and not on a single mission I had any troubles feeding it with dirt.
The number of units and buildings also was cut down like in a half.
An absolutely linear campaign - I don't know what is this - EA being too lazy or too afraid because poor dumb bastards would've lost in 2 or 3 meaningful mission choices.
A retarded mission design - in C&C2 there were missions where you had a limited number of units and had to complete them using brains. And those missions usually had several ways to reach an objective.
In C&C3 - kill them all with your superunit.
A dumb level design. In C&C2 there was a living world. All those mutants that randomly could become your allies or your enemies, burning your tanks, killing your troops etc. In C&C2 you could even set enemy troops on fire by burning that what was left from forests or kill enemy passing under or on top of the bridge by blowing the bridge (in C&C3 bridges are mostly made from some unbreakable material or something). Gimmicks? But nice gimmicks that made the levels not yet-another-rts-map.
The only problem with C&C1 and C&C2 was a growing boredom. But in C&C3 EA managed to multiply it by 10. So the reason to play the game further was just to see more videos with Michael Ironside which looked much worse and cheaper than the ones in C&C2.

It was always a pretty basic game
Yes. But why to make it even worse?

And yes, there's difficulty, dumbass.
Then I didn't notice it. Maybe it's me and I'm too hardcore, but I suck at RTS. Or maybe it's not me, eh?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Do units move faster now? I didn't play the original C&C but Tiberian Sun was just massing Titans and watching them take 20 minutes to amble across the map.

MetalCraze

Arcane
You can actually adjust game speed in C&C2. That makes them move faster and doesn't change the difficulty of anything. I've usually played at a 'normal' or 'fast' speed and unit movement seemed ok. (at 'Faster' setting it felt too fast even)

In C&C3 maps are much much smaller than in C&C2. Think of Generals map size. However some units like those mammoths are very slow - yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom