Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship RPG Update #1: Setting, Character System

Shadenuat

Arcane
The way I see it, being good with pistols and being good with SMGs are two different things.
The way skills handle it, being good with pistols or with SMGs has the same disparity of skill as being good with halberd or longsword or rapier+dagger. But there is a pit of experience between bladed (dagger) or bladed (2 handed sword), but there isn't really as much between two pistols that just require a general know-how of hand guns.
At least make strong synergies, stronger than for weapons in AoD where system punished using more than 1 weapon.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
why would a generation ship be loaded up with a wide variety of guns?

quasimodo

Augur
Maybe it was filled with NRA members fleeing new laws restricting their rights to bear arms.

MrMarbles

Cipher
:bounce:

I like the reasoning behind the current state of the ship society. Maybe it's the storyfag talking, but the developer having a clear idea of why things are as they are seems to have a subtle influence on design choices. It just makes everything better and more believable. The inevitability of the mutiny also feels similar to the inevitability of the collapse of the old world in AoD. Kind of a bleak world view but hey it works for an rpg.

Based on AoD and the update this is now my most eagerly anticipated rpg. Hurry up and get a name already so we can vote for this in the List of Incline.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
why would a generation ship be loaded up with a wide variety of guns?
It's not. It had Earth-made energy weapons but there are few functioning weapons and cells left after the mutiny and what followed. So the metalworkers started making crude firearms to satisfy the demand for weapons. Different metalworkers have different ideas, preferences, and skills, hence different types and styles.

VD:

Regarding your stealth idea, have you checked out this game? It looks like it may be doing something similar what you were thinking of.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/?snr=1_7_15__13
No. Looks interesting, thanks.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Is it too early to ask and get an answer about setting/background details? Nothing set in stone of course but a general idea of some things.
The setting is what we're working on right now, so ask away.

Had the civilization that set the Colony ship project in motion passed the fourth industrial revolution(automated networking industry)?
Yes.

Is there a need for human manual labour? Yes because there has been regression on the ship or?
Regression.

What of the painstakingly obvious finity of resources on the ship, will this be represented in anyway or form in the gameplay? Say have an effect on the ingame economy.
Resources to do what? The ship's denizens don't build anything, don't manufacture much, don't develop new industries, etc. It's an ant farm.

And talking about economy has the further progress in automated industry been taken into consideration this early(?) in development? Currency, division of wealth and so on.
The focus is not on what Earth was like when the ship left hundreds of years ago but on the post-mutiny ship. Obviously, the ship didn't need any currency or division of wealth when it was launched, but there is a need for it now, which is a different story, unrelated to Earth. We'll use stamped platinum squares for currency.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Is it too early to ask and get an answer about setting/background details? Nothing set in stone of course but a general idea of some things.
The setting is what we're working on right now, so ask away.

Had the civilization that set the Colony ship project in motion passed the fourth industrial revolution(automated networking industry)?
Yes.

Has the civilization that launched the ship also made strides in artificial intelligence? Are those gains reflected in the ship's operation/navigation-system? You've also mentioned mechs, would it make sense that they are, or at some point have been, connected to some sort of central ship network or nervous system?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game sounds a bit similar to the one Neo Scavenger dev is working on.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Has the civilization that launched the ship also made strides in artificial intelligence? Are those gains reflected in the ship's operation/navigation-system? You've also mentioned mechs, would it make sense that they are, or at some point have been, connected to some sort of central ship network or nervous system?
It's not a state of the art ship, the finest achievement of mankind, but a retrofitted cargo ship aka 'money don't grow on trees'. It doesn't have a nervous system or anything fancy like that. The mechs were man-operated and deployed during the mutiny. Most were destroyed.

Can we expect the combat to be equally as challenging as in AoD ?
Combat will always be the hardest way.

Game sounds a bit similar to the one Neo Scavenger dev is working on.
Details?

Can we expect TPK for choosing the wrong options?
By wrong options you mean what? Got into a fight you shouldn't have? Absolutely.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
How does the ship distribute water and the N-tabs? What keeps some armed group from taking over the supply and demanding [Currency of choice] to let people access it?

Will there be backgrounds like in AoD that talk about what charname did before the game, or will the MC be a full-on blank slate-type, everything before the opening you posted left up to us to imagine?

MrMarbles

Cipher
It's not a state of the art ship, the finest achievement of mankind, but a retrofitted cargo ship aka 'money don't grow on trees'. It doesn't have a nervous system or anything fancy like that. The mechs were man-operated and deployed during the mutiny. Most were destroyed.

So no chessgame in the depths of The Glow moments? Awww

Edit: Lorewise, AI would probably not be expensive technology, once developed. All the ship would need is memory banks, which it would probably be outfitted with anyway. Transfering the code for an AI would be cheap.

It doesn't have to be an SAI either, as in a conscious being; It could be a relatively simple program to repel anyone trying to tamper with programming or memory, close to or just past being able to pass the Turing test.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Developer
I feel that the AI should almost be a fifth faction with its own agenda and followers. While it's an interesting angle, it might be too much, scope-wise, and it would basically be a god faction as that's what the AI is on a ship populated by people who no longer have any power over it.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
As for skills, any weapon that is "point'n'shoot" is basically the same skill. If you're having specializations, then 2-handers vs 1-handers and recoil vs recoilless can become things but that's it. If aiming for "realism" or verisimilitude, just have marksmanship or accuracy and that's that.
The way I see it, being good with pistols and being good with SMGs are two different things.
Not really. Both require you to handle recoil - SMG recoil is actually a much lesser issue than pistol recoil because the gun is heavier and is built to handle recoil. Which is why I'd only make distinction between recoil-kinetic weapons and recoiless-energy weapons, because of the difference in handling them and the difference in ballistics and aiming.

MrMarbles

Cipher
I feel that the AI should almost be a fifth faction with its own agenda and followers. While it's an interesting angle, it might be too much, scope-wise, and it would basically be a god faction as that's what the AI is on a ship populated by people who no longer have any power over it.

That's according to the common trope of an AI always being super-capable, adept at communication and with its own means of production or self-improvement. There are many stages between an operating system and a super-intelligence on that level, and many of the entities you could encounter on those intermediate levels could also be interesting, if only to allow the player to have weird conversations along the lines of the being in the Gate in AoD or the disembodied Balzaar.

Esquilax

Arcane

Given that this is such an ambitious, idealistic undertaking carried about by a bunch of people who are - at least among the first generation - fully dedicated to The Cause, why isn't it a state of the art ship? If you are willing to consign yourself and your progeny to living in a fishbowl for the next few centuries, why would you cut so many corners? Sure, you might not necessarily have the resources or the expertise to build the Mothership that sends your people to Hiigara, but if it's going to take forever for the ship to reach its destination and there are many dangers along the way, why not take the time to do it right? Of course, I acknowledge that at some point you'd have to let go of Clevian perfectionism and launch the fucking ship at some point.

Not sure I like the religious angle here - seems a bit strange that evangelical Christian types would be interested in exploring new worlds rather than preaching the Good News to those on Earth who have not been saved. I suppose it seems odd to me because we live in an increasingly secular world and that generally those who would have the scientific know-how to even begin to consider what it would take to carry out such an ambitious task would likely not be super-religious folks to begin with. I don't know, it would depend on a lot of things (i.e. what sort of place Earth has become), so perhaps my misgivings are not correct here. I could see an unhinged Howard Hughes type doing something like this as well.

Not sure I like the religious angle here - seems a bit strange that evangelical Christian types would be interested in exploring new worlds the New World rather than preaching the Good News to those on Earth in England who have not been saved.

Perhaps VD could name the ship the Neo-Mayflower to really rub the analogy in ;)

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
VD’s next game will be decent only if manage to achieve the fantastic writing of PS:T, the deep combat system of JA2, the immersive text-adventures of Darklands, the overwhelming reactivity of AoD, the crafting system of Underrail, the brutal learning curve of Gothic 2, the dark atmosphere of MotB, the open world of F:NV, the skill checks of FO and FO2, the same amount of quests of BG2, and the art of Stasis.

tumblr_inline_njoxpz3DEq1t7oi6g.gif

Visperas

Augur
Are the tablets Soylen Green?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom