Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Sadly I'm missing parts for Romeo and I'm fairly sure I've seen all of the dungeon that I can access with my skills. Might have to rely on a savescum this time around.

Edit: and the departing peacefully was what I meant by "I won't be able to access the lower levels." He seals it off if you do that.

edit 2: fighting even with funky grenades also isn't going to work for me because I get wiped before my turn.
If you’re playing a well-built combat build, Romeo isn’t even that important. It helps, but you can do fine without it.
FWIW my endgame team was hammer tank build, Evans, and Harbinger, and all the final fights were a breeze. Can’t attest how I would have fared against the final showdown vs Monks because at that point I didn’t care anymore, so I just picked the easiest ending.

Tigranes

Arcane
big thanks to Alpharius for idea, my everything hybrid run is over
View attachment 44242

didnt do 100% towards the end as I couldnt be bothered to finish all the fights. Not like they would make me stronger considering I wear best everything.
Ultimately I did fail. Turns up that point in cha was important, without it you fail in 2 things, due to single missing point...
- convincing new mother to shut down the engines
- convincing Stanton to help hydro at the end
Annoying as I could do it, could just drop 1 point in dex at char gen.

Anyway, this is my first solo hybrid to kill belzebub!
Also managed to keep pit free(commies path)

throat slitter was crucial to kill everyone in front of armory and call romeo over, picked it at lvl10 for that reason alone.

resolved every single check game was throwing at me(except for Stanton, still would have passed with +1 cha), slotted every piece of cyberware with upgrades. Stole everything, sneaked everywhere, convinced everyone, was able to win every fight(well, didnt try monks).
It was surprisingly easy to keep smiles alive, as with this low evasion everyone targets tank.

mother fight was the hardest, but then I didnt use single stasis/disruptor grenade through whole game so I could trivialize it. As such hardest is act1 as you are very weak combatant.

Picked streetwise whenever I could, clearly no need to have so many speech skills in this game.

In general, if you want to copy this, you resolve problems in following order: speech > sneak > combat. One exception was infiltrating fort, as without it I was missing some sneak xp for habitat.
I was very happy I went with pistols, I often fought in smoke.
char gen:
4 str, overclock to get armored warfare
10 con for fake bio tag
7 per(so you gain access to feats without overclocking, also some secrets require 8per)
7 int (so you can get tag and skill monkey without overclocking, otherwise sneak will fall behind)
5 cha(so you learn from me)
rest into dex

I tried a similar hybrid, and yes, it seems like the big bottleneck is speech, requiring you to prioritise speech XP wherever possible. I didn't do that as I don't really enjoy speech solutions anywhere as much in CSG, and ended the game with only barely 9 in Persuade (pumping Per or Str largely doesn't matter, you just pick one). Comp/Elec/Lockpick on the other hand has enough XP throughout the world + attractive tokens.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Sadly I'm missing parts for Romeo and I'm fairly sure I've seen all of the dungeon that I can access with my skills. Might have to rely on a savescum this time around.

Edit: and the departing peacefully was what I meant by "I won't be able to access the lower levels." He seals it off if you do that.

edit 2: fighting even with funky grenades also isn't going to work for me because I get wiped before my turn.
If you’re playing a well-built combat build, Romeo isn’t even that important. It helps, but you can do fine without it.
FWIW my endgame team was hammer tank build, Evans, and Harbinger, and all the final fights were a breeze. Can’t attest how I would have fared against the final showdown vs Monks because at that point I didn’t care anymore, so I just picked the easiest ending.
I'm not, my main char is a CHA/pistols diplomacy weakling. I do have Jed and the religious shotgun nutter to tank and do damage though. Faythe is useless and spends most fights trying not to die.

Alpharius

Scholar
this time arond i went to church area first and my stealing wasnt high enough to get key. I've returned after leveling it up and guy with key is no longer there? Now I cant get into juicy apartament
I had that too, the guy with the card disappeared when i have gone to the next area if i previously attempted to steal it with too low skill. Seems like a bug. He stayed there if i didnt try anything before getting enough steal.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I tried a similar hybrid, and yes, it seems like the big bottleneck is speech, requiring you to prioritise speech XP wherever possible. I didn't do that as I don't really enjoy speech solutions anywhere as much in CSG, and ended the game with only barely 9 in Persuade (pumping Per or Str largely doesn't matter, you just pick one). Comp/Elec/Lockpick on the other hand has enough XP throughout the world + attractive tokens.
yeah reaching 10 in speech is very hard but not crucial in my tests.
As for persuasion vs streetwise, as i was playtesting a lot there is a single case where per > st, which is traitor quest pope path. As far as I can tell its the only such case, dunno if ive missed any occurence where st is superior to per.

I wouldnt say that you need to prioritize it above all else, sneak 8 appears to be minimum target for going super stabby stabby and there are many moments when you need to juggle those two. From my run its clear that you can forego combat though. At least as long as you pick accurate weapon that got feats increasing this accuracy too.

this time arond i went to church area first and my stealing wasnt high enough to get key. I've returned after leveling it up and guy with key is no longer there? Now I cant get into juicy apartament
I had that too, the guy with the card disappeared when i have gone to the next area if i previously attempted to steal it with too low skill. Seems like a bug. He stayed there if i didnt try anything before getting enough steal.
loaded saves and tested this yesterday. Indeed it is the only check that disappears if you attempt it without high enough skill lvl

Tigranes

Arcane
yeah reaching 10 in speech is very hard but not crucial in my tests.
As for persuasion vs streetwise, as i was playtesting a lot there is a single case where per > st, which is traitor quest pope path. As far as I can tell its the only such case, dunno if ive missed any occurence where st is superior to per.

I wouldnt say that you need to prioritize it above all else, sneak 8 appears to be minimum target for going super stabby stabby and there are many moments when you need to juggle those two. From my run its clear that you can forego combat though. At least as long as you pick accurate weapon that got feats increasing this accuracy too.

loaded saves and tested this yesterday. Indeed it is the only check that disappears if you attempt it without high enough skill lvl

Yes, depending on the weapon, I'd say 100 ACC is the threshold for being decent at combat, and in some cases you don't need any more.

I do enjoy Super Murderhobos with 140 just never worrying about anything, though

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
well, i feel competent enough now to say that it sucks

resolution to pit problem at the very end is everything that is wrong end game.
Faction X wants to take over pit. Comes in force. Oh no... faction Y came over too!
So far you were able to solve problems in combination of 3 ways: combat/talking/sneaking
Suddenly, combat is no existent. Sneaking too. Talking is one sided: you can only convince your old allies to surrender.
Do you want attacking force to go away? Great, now lets whip out this mechanic that was never used before, reputation! Need 20+, requires that you are very good in both talking, combat and make right choices. I dont think that sneaking help in any way, for example during spy quest you dont get reputation for doing sneak killing.
Oh and a bunch of dudes that you saved/helped rise to power in pit contribute negatively to any speech check that you might be making

Modron

Arcane
There at 4 different fates for The Pit: Brotherhood, Protectorate, Church, and staying independent. How many more outcomes would be good enough for you?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
There at 4 different fates for The Pit: Brotherhood, Protectorate, Church, and staying independent. How many more outcomes would be good enough for you?
clearly im talking about ways of solving problem, not outcomes

Modron

Arcane
Yeah it probably could use some expanding, fail the high speech checks and these tards just go over to the other faction? I can't imagine it would be too hard to implement a big showdown for whatever power you represent after failing to sway them with your words. I really should try a Pit gains independence run to see what the dialog is like in that circumstances. Wondering what a fail state would like in that circumstance, can't convince Jonas to go independent so he gives up on his dream of independence and joins the brotherhood that attacked them?

Vdweller has said they do plan to expand further on some things here and there and the pit resolution would be a good target for that work, we'll see what this means in the coming months I suppose.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I really should try a Pit gains independence run to see what the dialog is like in that circumstances. Wondering what a fail state would like in that circumstance, can't convince Jonas to go independent so he gives up on his dream of independence and joins the brotherhood that attacked them?
jonas: we are going to make our stand
pc: ok
j: ok?
pc: yeah, ill take care of it

//pc comes over to invading general
pc: you have to go back
general: alright, you are the hero of the nation, id better listen to you, but its on you

//pit is free! no checks, no persuasion, faction leader isnt happy but is rolling with it
alternatively you are not recognized as chosen one and they just go bang bang without you

I can't imagine it would be too hard to implement a big showdown for whatever power you represent after failing to sway them with your words.
as I said pit resolution is just cherry on top, those problems start to appear in habitat.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm not, my main char is a CHA/pistols diplomacy weakling. I do have Jed and the religious shotgun nutter to tank and do damage though. Faythe is useless and spends most fights trying not to die.

This is fascinating to me because I saw someone else claim this. Faythe is an absolute fucking beast in my game. She FAR outshines Evans in raw damage output. Primarily because she is getting 2 shots for every one of his due to lower AP cost of pistols vs. rifles and I have spec'd her to be a pistol goddess massive crit chance and lots of reaction shots. She is my main damage dealer and melts faces very effectively. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kangaxx

Arbiter
Crikey, I'm trying to do the Armoury fight and I really don't see how I can make this winnable. I tested 'switching sides' and even then about 2 minutes later you're in another ridiculous fight... am I missing something here? Yes, no fight is 'mandatory' but you don't seem to have a lot of agency without a good fighting squad.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Crikey, I'm trying to do the Armoury fight and I really don't see how I can make this winnable. I tested 'switching sides' and even then about 2 minutes later you're in another ridiculous fight... am I missing something here? Yes, no fight is 'mandatory' but you don't seem to have a lot of agency without a good fighting squad.
if you sided with monks, they can win alone.

otherwise you can sneak stab everyone. If not then yeah, switching sides is the only way to go.
Once you switch sides you can win against monks even with useless character without romeo(tested it). Equip cloaking device, stasis and emp. Your role is to disable shields(3 pulse grenades) and remove 2 monks temp(2 stasis).

solo armory fight head on is ridiculous, especially since enemies can throw grenades over the walls

jackofshadows

Magister
solo armory fight head on is ridiculous, especially since enemies can throw grenades over the walls
It was tough, reloaded many times (while usually that wasn't the case at all at that stage) until I've found a good spot in the lower part of the room where I made my stand with high grade smoke (after opening and killing the most dangerous enemmies with cloak including the robot).

kangaxx

Arbiter
OK so that was pretty much

the end of the game... I was thinking about how to set up my character for the next run but I really don't think I can be bothered now. The endgame is pretty bad IMO. The preceding 80% of the game was fun though.

Not sure I'd ever want to side with the monks voluntarily, honestly, and I didn't think the combat in this game was fun enough to warrant a full combat playthrough (tbh I thought it was really bad).

I might go back and try the monk fight in the tunnel again though, see what the ending of the 'faction I disliked but got forced into' looks like.

flushfire

Augur
Not sure I'd ever want to side with the monks voluntarily
Why? They seemed to be the most reasonable faction all things considered. Gameplay-wise though siding with them means autoplay, pretty much.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
That Mother fight. Wow. Not with this talkie build.
I tagged Steal for Fayethe. A waste? Very easy to farm.
The Scrapper shottie is described as a lever action but is ackshually a pump.

notpl

Arbiter
Steal is a total waste, yeah. Not only can you steal everything in the game with zero perks/tags assisting it, but there's also nothing worthwhile gated by it.

Tigranes

Arcane
It was tough, reloaded many times (while usually that wasn't the case at all at that stage) until I've found a good spot in the lower part of the room where I made my stand with high grade smoke (after opening and killing the most dangerous enemmies with cloak including the robot).

Interesting, all my characters found this fight easier than the fight you have in A2 (if you defect to Monks and immediately fight your faction handler) or the Monk Mutant Ninja Team during GECK delivery sequence. Sometimes because I have enough stealth to take out most of them (a reasonably stealthy character can take down 3/6 humanoids), and if not I'm probably a combatfag.

BTW a combatfag can get a lot of use out of evasion - my last guy was on 120+ Ev by this point and with cloaking field and one smoke grenade, could essentially ignore every gun user for 5-6 turns and bank on 90% of shots missing.

flushfire

Augur
Steal is a total waste, yeah. Not only can you steal everything in the game with zero perks/tags assisting it, but there's also nothing worthwhile gated by it.
Kind of unbelievable that a dev that tunes everything to the point missing a check or two early on can lock the player out of passing endgame checks, would miss not just one but two skills being 100% not worth tagging.

oscar

Arcane
Ironically doing much better at combat with a skill-based charismatic character than my low charisma melee brute run (putting all skills beyond biotech to my MC while speccing my party for pure combat). Main issue is protecting your squishy protagonist for long enough for your companions to wipe everyone else out. The charisma and implant perks that buff your entire party are great (don't make the mistake of taking Captain on protag then getting Sarge on Jed, the two don't stack).

Yeah steal isn't worth a tag but worth having one character devoted on it for those juicy extra credits (I will say this game does economy very well, there's always things worthwhile to spend your money on) is definitely helpful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom