Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Are the game mechanics explained in detail somewhere? I'd like to understand how the armor penalty works and what status effects like "dazed" actually do but there is no manual.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You can see the armour penalties applied directly to your specific stats in the character sheet. IIRC every point of armour above your handling just decreases initiative and evasion by 1.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Mid run impressions on factions so far:

-Brotherhood: There's probably more to them but all my encounters with them have been antagonistic and it's easy enough to think of them as well meaning extremists a la sjws that fucked everything up for the rest even if had valid cassus belli at start of mutiny. So i'm happy making them the designated enemy of my current run assuming there isn't some hidden "become friends with all factions and achieve the super secret best ending where you convince everyone to just get along in a few speech checks".

-Protectors: Initially thought i'd roll for them, mission before all, and that there were retards wanting to turn the colony ship around is maddening and does help justify their strong arm tactics, at least at first. Then i visited their district and it was like...ok fuck, i love 40k but i don't actually want to live there if i can help it? The exchange at the checkpoint sealed the deal as protectors being too extreme for me, maybe it's justified but at this point in the game my pc isn't a total pessimist yet.

-Church: I didn't think i'd simp so hard for these guys, almost every time i'd be offered a dialogue option explaining my rational for siding with them, i'd go for a neutralish response with my default attitude being "people gotta believe in something bigger then themselves".
And yet they won me over, time and time again i kept siding with the church, I think their district was cool and people were chill and happy to live there without there being some oppressive boot on their backs, their leaders tended to be reasonable, and above all: they valued the importance of the mission and were all in about humanity's manifest destiny.
Maybe the game will pull a church=bad twist at the end and make me regret it but so far they look like the clear best choice if you like the premise of the protectors but feel they are too extreme.

-Covenant: I got no problems with mutants, they clearly were needed to maintain the reactor and the ship was lucky to have them. So long as they don't get delusions of being a separate species and still consider themselves human, that's good enough for me and whatever problems they have with their matriarchal society, they can resolve it internally.

Last edited:

Alpharius

Scholar
Unable to beat:
- Detroit fight. Really aching to kill this uppity Negro with another build.
I managed to do it with my 10 con blade\smg guy and 10 con blunt guy by spamming smoke grenades (4 or 5) and one customary disruptor at the beginning. Smiles usually manages to survive in cover & under smoke until there is only one rifleman and the main guy left, then i hide her at the side passage.
wait, you did it solo?
It was trivial for my rifle solo guy btw but I had the eye so it was a different story I guess.
Pretty doable with melee & shield without Romeo as well by ab(using) cover in the middle of the map, melee attacks had 5% hit for me while in cover. I guess its even easier for ranged solo builds.

Deadyawn

Learned
It sucks that siding with the church is gated behind having at least 5 in conversation skills. I think they are reasonable enough to see that having a 10 str skull-bashing tank on their side would be a plus.

Tigranes

Arcane
How many turns has it been? The scav wondered. Too many. At least a dozen. Maybe two dozen.
Hargrave had promised easy money. The cocksucker died first. All my other scav buddies are dead. No more scav family discounts for us.
I'm the only one left. I must have hit this motherfucker at least 30 times. Not with the pistol - missed every bullet - but with my dagger. Never had to use it before.
"Just graze them", the shopkeeper said. "You'll eventually wear them down." Fuck him too. This bitch has so much armour I'm not making a dent.

7pDttD1.png

But he must be weary, too. I've seen him stick at least five needles into his arm, he barely even knows where he is.
All of his big hammer swings are missing, I almost feel like we're not even fighting. But we are. I know just one good hit from him and I'm off to the suddenly crowded scav purgatory.
He's frustrated, too. I can hear his drug-addled, trembling lips muttering under his breath as we engage in our eternal dance.
Something about a "josh sawyer" and "ripping his glands out", I don't know, man. I just don't know.

HM0fP6T.png

I hope it was worth it, man.
nvRL4DW.png

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Little Shop of Horrors, decent armor set and battery for Romeo later on vs squad leader early, I think the implant is the better reward only for a full party.

Yeah, but shoudn't we consider battle exp we would miss in that figth? maybe some loot, if it's good. But more than that - just combat LP and overall exp, no?

Technomancer

Liturgist
But he must be weary, too. I've seen him stick at least five needles into his arm, he barely even knows where he is.
While I found the whole thing amusing for comedic effect, come on, I don't think the vast majority of enemies have more than two stims. And it can't be that early. For many its one or two. And even more have none at all.

Oh I see, gotta wake up first before writing.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
While I found the whole thing amusing for comedic effect, come on, I don't think the vast majority of enemies have more than two stims. And it can't be that early. For many its one or two. And even more have none at all.

That's... the PC, man. I'm so sorry.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Rerolled on easier difficulty and playing exclusively combat murder hobo, as the game really forces you to choose one archetype and not mix talker with combat char. The game is much more pleasant, albeit the lower difficulty is tad too easy, while the regular difficulty is pretty rough.

flushfire

Augur
Rerolled on easier difficulty and playing exclusively combat murder hobo, as the game really forces you to choose one archetype and not mix talker with combat char. The game is much more pleasant, albeit the lower difficulty is tad too easy, while the regular difficulty is pretty rough.
You can mix with a little meta, although I'm not sure if it's doable solo. Don't need to plan ahead even, just need a feel for how much speech is needed at points in the game.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
better than AoD?
Mechanically, yes.

In terms of story and quests, IMO, no. All those paralell questlines in AoD were really something. CS is much more linear compared to it(which could be a good thing for some I guess, but not for me). Still pretty good though - definitely way above the standards for modern RPGs.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Mid run impressions on factions so far:

-Brotherhood: There's probably more to them but all my encounters with them have been antagonistic and it's easy enough to think of them as well meaning extremists a la sjws that fucked everything up for the rest even if had valid cassus belli at start of mutiny. So i'm happy making them the designated enemy of my current run assuming there isn't some hidden "become friends with all factions and achieve the super secret best ending where you convince everyone to just get along in a few speech checks".

-Protectors: Initially thought i'd roll for them, mission before all, and that there were retards wanting to turn the colony ship around is maddening and does help justify their strong arm tactics, at least at first. Then i visited their district and it was like...ok fuck, i love 40k but i don't actually want to live there if i can help it? The exchange at the checkpoint sealed the deal as protectors being too extreme for me, maybe it's justified but at this point in the game my pc isn't a total pessimist yet.

-Church: I didn't think i'd simp so hard for these guys, almost every time i'd be offered a dialogue option explaining my rational for siding with them, i'd go for a neutralish response with my default attitude being "people gotta believe in something bigger then themselves".
And yet they won me over, time and time again i kept siding with the church, I think their district was cool and people were chill and happy to live there without there being some oppressive boot on their backs, their leaders tended to be reasonable, and above all: they valued the importance of the mission and were all in about humanity's manifest destiny.
Maybe the game will pull a church=bad twist at the end and make me regret it but so far they look like the clear best choice if you like the premise of the protectors but feel they are too extreme.

-Covenant: I got no problems with mutants, they clearly were needed to maintain the reactor and the ship was lucky to have them. So long as they don't get delusions of being a separate species and still consider themselves human, that's good enough for me and whatever problems they have with their matriarchal society, they can resolve it internally.
its classic anime: nazis vs commies vs vatican. At one point nuns were scrapped in favor of cyborgs

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
How about stop comparing games all the time to what they may have been and instead start taking them as they are.
It's a good game, as it is.
Games don't have to be similar or upgraded versions of something else previous.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Even as it is, it still has huge flaws. And most of them in quest design, which, on a railroaded game is pretty damning.
The copy-paste way of handling the three factions in The Habitat was pure bullshit.
It's also front-loaded as fuck, the ending lacks any punch because of how empty it is.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Even as it is, it still has huge flaws. And most of them in quest design, which, on a railroaded game is pretty damning.
The copy-paste way of handling the three factions in The Habitat was pure bullshit.
It's also front-loaded as fuck, the ending lacks any punch because of how empty it is.
Your old fart has huge flaws. You just can't have nice things the more you are older, always looking for what's wrong, where else it's been done better, and then proceed to whining. Same goes for most critics here, and probably on whole Codex.
Aaah, that felt good. I need to do this from time time.
My evil twin, I blow my nose at you.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I always give credit where it's due. Check Brigand Oaxaca, for example, which I praised a lot despite the jank.
Also, I'm the good twin.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
so is it good? better than AoD?
It's a very good game but not better than AoD.

Haven't finished it yet (still in Habitat), but I've already dumped over 70h into it checking builds and playthroughs. AoD had those several interlocking quest lines happening at the same time, with player character becoming part of them at different points and goals, CS is way more streamlined. At times to a point of Dungeon Rats, where progress becomes just a series of battle encounters. It's not even a flaw, as battles (at least on underdog difficulty) are AUTISTICALLY overbalanced - enemies are mostly tightly tweaked combat builds with specific equipment sets and map placement, but like in DR, it's a min/maxers paradise - challenging but rewarding. As an RPG proper, majority of those encounters can be influenced or completely avoided by choices, usually skill related. Also in DR style, party management has been added and involves some basic supply management (meds & ammo).

The new mechanical elements are skills getting xp from use, and the stealth sections. The first is mostly self explanatory, but it's worth noting that in a hand crafted game like this, it means there's a set and finite number of occasions to raise a skill. The second is stealth, and although I've seen it praised a lot I think it's by far the worst element - like combat, it's also utterly overbalanced to a point where NPCs stand, move and face certain directions down to deterministic noise numbers that depending on character build will always make certain moves possible or not, effectively turning entire stealth sections into a big puzzle (like Into The Breach) - once you figure out how to proceed the same plan will work on same stealth section 100% of the time...

Writing is on par with AoD although the CYOA sections are gone. The setting I find very compelling as it manages to merge space travel with post-apocalypse of sorts, while explaining the confined environments and NPC attitudes. There's still some exploration and underlying truths about both past & future to be learned as in was in AoD. Graphics are obviously better, especially the inventory icons are excellent. Music is decent, although personally I find it way too reminiscent of HOMM3 (must be some kind of Eastern European kink).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
How do/would you solve this combat for 3 heads?
I mean, solo 10/10 Dex/Per.
Even with gas&flash nades on turn 1, I can't survive long enough.
Huh?

PS not that't I'm sure I need to solve this quest in combat, but what if I do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom