Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

lycanwarrior

Scholar
polish fans already firing up their torrent programs
Nowadays not many Poles pirate things
I refuse to believe poles have become typical western cucks for corporations. It's disgusting. Until proven guilty of this, I'll continue thinking of them with respect.
Stop asking questions and just consume product and then get excited for next product!

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Tried replaying the game for the first time since the EA was released and it felt a lot better than I remembered. XP seems way better balanced now for instance.

Is it true that the studio is dying? So far I've bought both their games (even though I really don't like AoD and EA is always a risk), but there's literally no other way to support them(?). Seems like a management problem tbh.

Modron

Arcane
They've consistently hit most of their milestones in EA and are almost done what is riskier about buying Colony Ship than you preordering Diablo IV.

vota DC

Augur
Is it true that the studio is dying? So far I've bought both their games (even though I really don't like AoD and EA is always a risk), but there's literally no other way to support them(?). Seems like a management problem tbh.
No they have colony ship 2 with late medieval tech aliens and aod 2 that they still have to decide if prequel or a Miltiades world painting game.

They've consistently hit most of their milestones in EA and are almost done what is riskier about buying Colony Ship than you preordering Diablo IV.
Tbf i did kinda cringe as I was typing out the risk part. But being inflammatory is Codex way of life. Still if they really did sell "way more" than 450 K, that would be kinda cool for a small indie studio.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Way more.
Then how come you said EA wasn't doing as well as you expected and you could go out of business if the release doesn't do well?

Were the development costs that higher compared to AoD?

Of course, unless AoD EA sold as much or more and I wasn't aware.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Lol just noticed this for the first time.

Iron Tower Studio is a premier destination for all your hardcore RPG needs.
Proudly serving 0.003% of the Global Gaming Market since 2015.
The remaining 99.997% need not apply.

:obviously:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Then how come you said EA wasn't doing as well as you expected and you could go out of business if the release doesn't do well?
It's a long story, better left for a retrospective article when the game is released and we ponder our future. In short, if the game doesn't sell enough to cover the next development stretch, we're out of business whether we like it or not. As stated earlier we have enough money to finish the game and provide quality post release support in any scenario.

AoD sold $653,367 in EA.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Btw I thought he meant 450k copies(I didn't click on the link he posted) but it's 450k U$D.

That's why I thought it was weird to not consider it a success.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's a long story, better left for a retrospective article when the game is released and we ponder our future. In short, if the game doesn't sell enough to cover the next development stretch, we're out of business whether we like it or not. As stated earlier we have enough money to finish the game and provide quality post release support in any scenario.

AoD sold $653,367 in EA.
Damn, 500k+ USD EA income being a commercial failure for a team of 3 developers really puts the games industry in a different light for me. Salaries really stack up when it takes 5+ years for each release I guess.

agris

Arcane
Patron
For those paying attention, note that Vince is saying "sold", i.e. I don't think these values are revenue seen by ITS, it's sales.

Steam takes 30%, iirc.

edit: and Epic takes a cut for UE's commercial usage, although I don't know any details of what that % is.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
It's more than 3 devs I think. Either way, 500k in 5 years would be like 2.7k a month for each person(assuming it was only 3 indeed). Then there are other costs involved with development(buying assets, engine tools, hiring freelance artists etc). So if you think, it's really not that much and barely covers living expenses depending where you live.

Elhoim must be one of the richest men in Argentina with that wage, though(truth be told, ~3k U$D a month is a lot even in my country(Brazil) if you take into account the salary avg, so I guess it's not that bad for those living in a third world country).

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Gamedev is horrible for money.

CRPG gamedev is like 50x worse or something.

Like the quote from ITS above, it really is like 0.003% of the Global Gaming Market or less.

Hats off to Vault Dweller for providing transparent details as usual (down to the dollar amount even!).

But unfortunately, it paints a depressing picture for even small-team RPG dev.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom