Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Collecting special items = The best joys of RPGs

DraQ

Arcane
Of course, the Cane of Corpus is only usable by faerie ninjas which I never built. The *Light Sword* I never acquired without reloading. Although I did manage one single time to actually get Excalibur in Davey Jone's locker on my first attempt. A remarkable weapon.

The Staff of Doom was a guaranteed uber item but of course it is cursed. Then again that is what makes Wizardry 8 so well (item) balanced. There is always a trade off.
Yeah, there are many cursed items of awesome in Wiz8, often with side effects that *will* kill you if not compensated for (continuous HP drain for example) aside from the typical drawback of not being able to switch weapons to something more suitable, like a ranged weapon.

That's why it's nice to have a dracon rogue with Thieves' Dagger and Bloodlust - you don't need no ranged weapon if you can breathe on your enemies.
Also, that's why it's good to give bloodlust to bard, samurai or even lord - they can still do something useful when deprived of ranged attacks.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Right in the first town in Might and Magic 6 there was that sword in the stone. Oooh, that piece moked me so much when I played game for the first time. Always was checking if maybe NOW it's enough STR to get the thing, but noo... genious. Starting location, and holy crap, there is a SWORD IN THE STONE! But you can't get it.
Also liked cheesy artifact names like Pellinor or Ares, etc.

Gregz

Arcane
This is partially why I love games like Diablo II and Borderlands. Every mob is a walking slot machine, and every rare or unique is a jackpot.

It's addicting in Vegas; it's equally addicting in games.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
As much as I love Wizardry 8, the randomness was really overdone in case of some items. Take Samurai for example. It is very probable that without save scumming you will miss both good main hand class-specific swords for him and only guaranteed find is an off hand enchanted wakizashi, which is not even that good.

IdaGno

Educated
goddammit! goddammit! goddammit!

fuckabunchaCRPGlewt!

Pro Pinball Timeshock - i just wanna see that fucking cow!

talk about chasing the dragon!

DraQ

Arcane
As much as I love Wizardry 8, the randomness was really overdone in case of some items. Take Samurai for example. It is very probable that without save scumming you will miss both good main hand class-specific swords for him and only guaranteed find is an off hand enchanted wakizashi, which is not even that good.
What about good non-class-specific swords?

And you may use non-sword in an offhand if you find ench. wakizashi underwhelming (there are some nice offhand staves that may not hit that hard, but provide useful status effects instead), use shield (yeah, not very samurai-like) or just use 2h sword.

Failing all that, if you just have to whine just make a samurai Mook and grab Giant's Sword off your nearest deathlord.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
The off handed weapon stats for a samurai is almost inconsequential considering its main function is that it adds another chance for the INSTANT KILL! each round.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom