Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Codexian LP of Dominions 4

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Greetings!

People expressed the wish to see a LP of the upcoming Codex Dominions 4 game. I wanted to write a LP for quite awhile, so why not now.

I won't go over the basics of dominions 4 alot, there are plenty of tutorials on youtube, but I will shed light upon some choices and more obscure details. I am not very experienced with the game itself, but as a good chessplayer startegy should come naturally :)

Since this is a smultaneous LP I can only hope my opponents will display good sportsmanship and don't browse this thread.

Onto the game:

Early Era, standard settings and no thrones (a new feature in dom4), a smallish map with about 90 provinces. Right now we have 5 players signed up, but I set the maximum to 7.

Nations are: Ulm, Mictlan, Ur, Ermor and I commandeer Yomi

In this first post I will just present my Nation and Pretender and try to get familiar with posting.

So I chose the weeaboo demons, knon as Yomi. Based on Japanese mythology they are the eastern counterpart of ghosts, elves, kobolds and so on.

Troops:

First we got the Bakemono:

sQRq65k.jpg

8g(old), 2-4r(essoruces)

They come with a club, a pointed stick and a shortbow. They are nothing to write home about, except that they are stealthy, cheap and have limited darkvision. They can be useful to ambush unsuspecting enemy forces or have an unexpected archer backup.

Next, human auxiliaries:

FxdxGZA.jpg

9g,11/16r

These guys are average, stealthy humans (10 is the average stat for a human) equipped with spears and also bows. The torch icon is represents their ability to efficiently pillage and be able to raid – does exactly what you would think: gaining some money at the cost of population and unrest. Raiding targets adjacent provinces, only units with the pillage ability can do it.

Pillagers can be stopped by the local population, while raiders can be caught by province defense and patrollers. In that case there is a battle and no gold will be claimed.

Now the demons. I skip over the Ko-Oni as he is a useless little twerp.

Not the Aka-Oni and Ao-Oni:

qGBnHNi.jpg

x4ZOrco.jpg

20/25g,1r

These two are the bread and butter units, so let's go over them in more detail.

I start with the Icons and go voer stats last.

First: cold or fire resistance (5) – deducts 5 of any c-f damage

2nd: They don't need to eat – meaning they can never starve when supplies are low

3rd: Demon : demons have perfect darkvision but can be banished

4th: Mountain survival: they have no movement penalty in mountains and can move through passes

5th: Pillager (1)

6th: Gluttony (2): they still like to eat

7th: undisciplined: can't be given orders and use standard block formation on the battlefield

8th: Chaos Power (1): They get +1 atk, def, str, move for each level of turmoil in a province. Additionally each 15 unrest count as one level of turmoil

9th: Chaos Recruitment (2): You get 2 gold back per level of turmoil

Size 2: 3 fit into one square

They got a Great Club with decent dmg and +1 def, and a magic attack. Either a cold melee attack or a fire ranged. Both are armor piercing (ap) – halves opps armor – and are magical, so they get through etherealness. Their stats are decent except protection, but Oni have a second low HP ethereal form. As you can see you get alot of bang for realtively low buck and almost no ressources. They can be recruited easily if need be and pack a nasty punch in a high turmoil dominion. Also the cold attack deals fatigue damage which acts nicely as a deterrent to SCs and thugs.

Lastly your elite demons:

Gdvp6Em.jpg

WmiH1Pb.jpg

40/50g,11/10r

They are more expensive but have better stats and in case of the Kuro Oni, 2 magical attacks. Kuro-Oni get pillaging (2) and fire/poison resistance. Both get a fucking huge japanese Sword with lots of boni – cause japanese swords somehow rule. A case could be made for the Onis, since they get 2 javelins which they can throw as far as their strength, which can be pretty high in a turmoil dom.

These guys will be slowly recruited to form a few elite squads over time.

As you can see teir troops are not demanding ressourcewise (a fully armored troop takes about 20-35 ressources), are hard hitters and have magical attacks. Being demonish will open them up to a few select counters (Banishment for example). You do not want to fight these guys in a pillaged, torn country!

In the next post I will write about the commanders and the pretender.

PS: If you have anything to say about formatting, pictures and such, please do so as this is my first LP.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Let's have a look at the Leaders:

2 Scouts:

t8EzXPl.jpg

eVeKxai.jpg

Basic Scouts, one can pillage. next!

Demon General:

uuinp0M.jpg

Basic Leader to ferry demons around, I forgot to mention Leaders need to have undead/demon leadership to lead these. Mages get this through their magic paths like death or blood. I will employ several of those to lead the demons around. The advantage of those is the morale bonus they confer to their troops. Later in the game this won't be as important as normal troops will dimish in usefulness. Also he got 1 death path - mostly useful for building labs in captured provinces.

Priest:

XLFCjux.jpg

Our priest: demons hate priests so we get a sucker. 1 Holy and 10% chance of 1 FED (fire,earth,death) pretty useless

Now for the actual workhorses: the researcher

baiAjjU.jpg

11 research at 115 gold is average. He has 1E1D and 100% of EDFA, so he can cast a few useful spells with his 2 paths, and forge a few things.

Oni General:

zOEiNq0.jpg

A decent thug I suppose. I have no experience with them though because I almost always use their big brothers. As a thug I miss the ability to selfbless and some kind of fear/etherealness.

Hannya

kX6LUYz.jpg

These chicks are really nice :scalefap:
Decent stats for a mage mountain/swamp survival and a fireshield. One downside they are coldblooded so in a cold dominion they acrue fatigue fast.
2F2D1N allow some decent spells: Eagly Eyes boost precision then Fireballs/Bane Fires (with a skullstaff booster for D3). They can also summon Fire Ants to support the initial expansion. A nice deterrent spell versus expensive sacreds is Seven Year Fever. Expect to see alot of them once Research takes off.

The King:

gu9hsAX.jpg

These are the endgame power of Yomi. Captal only and slow to recruit (one per 2 turns), but pack great stats, a ton of magic paths, fear and the ability to selfbless.
Fear is that Face icon and forces enemy units to roll once? vs. morale to not flee. Like all other demon troops they have chaos power but suck at research.
Their magic paths are 2F2E3D with 100%FEDA and 10%FEDA.
These guys are what dominions players call super combatants. Properly equipped and with the right spells they can beat entire armies without mage support or lacking explicite counters. But what I also like about those guys is their ability to switch into a nice caster role. D4 ones can naturally cast Darkness which cuts stats of non darkvision troops into half. E3 ones get magma eruption and so on.

So what to do with these guys? I have to expand ruthlessly to secure alot of gold since my dominion will have turmoil and potentially sloth, when I cant expand use their ability to raid and Pillage for more gold and instill unrest to strengthen the demons. Main research targets should be evocation for bane fire, alteration for buffs and darkness and conjuration for death summons. Construction is also a must to get the gear for the dai onis.

I am still debating over a good pretender choice since I am not too happy with the submitted one :P

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Oh, and feel free to ask about anything game-related, e.g. icons, game mechanics etc.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
:(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom