Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Developer
Why don't you use that title text from the game in the steam capsule?
I tried to do that but it's not that easy.
Basically, I would have to blow up the small title logo but I didn't like the results that came from it.
I can't just copy and paste it like you did because the pixel scale wouldn't match with the picture to the right.
I was struggling with that for a long time and probably was overthinking it way too much

bionicman

Liturgist
Yeah I agree that it can't be just copy-paste'd like that... but it's just odd to me to see a nicer looking title text in screenshots than on the steam page picture (also different style, like it's two different games). Maybe you could pay some pixel artist to make a scaled up version of the ingame title text that is consistent with the style?

beardalaxy

Novice
Made a new trailer for Steam, let me know what you think

Looks pretty good! I like the choice to just keep it at 480p. The low quality works really well for this kind of thing. It's not my genre of choice, but it looks intriguing enough and I watched the whole thing, so you've at least got that going!

Developer
Looks pretty good! I like the choice to just keep it at 480p. The low quality works really well for this kind of thing. It's not my genre of choice, but it looks intriguing enough and I watched the whole thing, so you've at least got that going!
Thank you! You watched the whole thing, that's a real confidence boost!

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I'm not a game dev, but I enjoy doing little projects just for fun and to develop skills for a future project maybe.
'not a game dev' my ass, you're one of us!!
Thanks so much.

I just find Unity tutorials on youtube and try to add my own stamp to them. I was getting better and better at it but I started full time work and it's hard to find time and energy to get back to it.

Venser

Erudite
Decided to make a VR game, downloaded Unreal Engine 5 and now I can't stop myself from watching gamedev tutorials. It's been all day and I can't stop binging, just keep opening more and more videos...HELP!

tabs.jpg

:shredder:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Viata

Arcane
Just do whatever you want, mate. If it will take 10 years to finish or not, doesn't matter. People used to make 3D engines for PS1 back when Net Yaroze was released, they didn't come up with excuses saying it takes time or whatever. Modern programmer is annoying, whenever someone is doing something they need to go and say "no, don't do Y, just use X" when nobody asked anything. Yes, if he just wants to make a game fast, it's far better to use game engines like Godot, but sometimes he wants to craft his own things, so let him do it. Besides, given the internet, there is a huge chance he searched over the internet to see if there is any framework/engine that does what he needs and didn't find it among all the annoying programmers telling people to use Godot or Unity or Unreal.

I seem to keep on having to say it as the message is not getting across clearly: if you want a 2.5D Isometric engine in 2024, you need to write your own.

tritosine2k

Erudite
There are zero functional 2.5D isometric engines in 2024. Admit it and move on.
Technically you have the FOnline engine. Maybe also FIFE but it didn't ever amount to anything.
Time of day and weather should be bare minimum functionality in 2024, yet even unreal barely has it and realtime gfx is so amusing because of all kinds of gross issues with shadow map resolution with sun at grazing angle (it also extends to overcast weather because by then you have all kinds of grazing angles). But ofc you don't even need it because they'll have working GLOBAL ILLUMINATION SOLUTION out the door tomorrow. xD

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom