Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer

Reinhardt

Arcane
so what are gud map tools? preferably free, because there are big troubles with cards because of war. want to mess with kotc2 module creation.

Codex Year of the Donut

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
so what are gud map tools? preferably free, because there are big troubles with cards because of war. want to mess with kotc2 module creation.

paper-and-a-pencil-1467185202BWe.jpg

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
So, I've released Parasite in Early Access. As usual for me, with no marketing (a thread here and a post on /r/roguelikes). According to the Steam documentation, you don't get any visibility from EA release, you launch visibility round is saved for the actual release. Buuuut it looks like blessed Gaben does give you a very good chunk of traffic (240k impressions and 9k views).
Looking into the details, 10k views on Reddit translated into 600 views on Steam, so it was all mostly the tags and search. And I still have my launch visibility round unused, so that's great. The response has been very positive, I even got 5 reviews (I think I had like 1 or 2 for Evil Cult in the first week)! And even better, they all go like this, "hey, I like the game, here are my thoughts..." and a wall of text after that. Now I'm positively motivated to focus all of my free time on the game.

EDIT: Hey, I got my first negative review! "The game is way too hard. 7 minutes of play time and I've died 3 times."
:incline:

I think I'll add that to quotes later.

Last edited:

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron
So, I've released Parasite in Early Access. As usual for me, with no marketing (a thread here and a post on /r/roguelikes). According to the Steam documentation, you don't get any visibility from EA release, you launch visibility round is saved for the actual release. Buuuut it looks like blessed Gaben does give you a very good chunk of traffic (240k impressions and 9k views).
Looking into the details, 10k views on Reddit translated into 600 views on Steam, so it was all mostly the tags and search. And I still have my launch visibility round unused, so that's great. The response has been very positive, I even got 5 reviews (I think I had like 1 or 2 for Evil Cult in the first week)! And even better, they all go like this, "hey, I like the game, here are my thoughts..." and a wall of text after that. Now I'm positively motivated to focus all of my free time on the game.

EDIT: Hey, I got my first negative review! "The game is way too hard. 7 minutes of play time and I've died 3 times."
:incline:

I think I'll add that to quotes later.

Good job men! In my experience the visibility rounds only increases views/follows/wishlists. I'd reckon It's best to do them before your game loses interest entirely.
When you finally release out of EA you get similar (but maybe 1.5x to 2.0x) interest as first releasing in EA. However if most of your customers are loyalists who already knew of you prior to EA , EA will be almost as good if not better.
It helps a lot to be renown already.

But becoming renown in multiple places is a lot of work. You're better off making your game better so it can be renown itself.

Sorry if preaching to the quire.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
So for a week or two I really wasn't sure which direction to take my game. I couldn't think of a good story to give the expansion. I talked to some people, thought about it some more, and decided for this expansion, it's going to be procedurally generated.

Here is version 1 (with temporary map assets) of the map generator.

MapV1.jpg

Perlin noise for the elevation, a different Perlin noise for the forests. Random odds with a falloff function for choosing between desert/grass and snow/grass.

I think what I'm going to do with this is use it as the basis for a dungeon generator. First, set down the tiles. Place points of interest around the map, then make paths connecting those points through the world map. Every tile you walk through loads a new level. Each level could contain a town, monsters, quest objectives, or whatever. I think I'll have a few variation levels of each possible combination of hills, mountains, grass, desert, snow, and trees, and then some randomly placed variations inside those levels. Players may start to see some repetition after a while, but hey, this is a free expansion and I'm still experimenting.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It's been a really long time since my last post. My day job and kids make my game dev activities slow down to a snail's pace... yet there's still some progress ;) . I'm still working on my hobby fantasy 4X strategy game project, which recently hit a 5-year mark since the beginning. Decided to stop counting from now on.

From a technical standpoint, I'm still elbow-deep in the base rule system, which I need to finish up before I can create any kind of content. I tweaked it recently to use an ECS approach, which greatly improved its readability. I'm also currently implementing C# source generators to cut on the boilerplate required. It makes my head explode sometimes, but hopefully, it will be worth it in the end.

From a design standpoint, I totally dropped the 'Suzerain' (immortal mage ruler) mechanic in favour of putting more focus on the actual civilization-building/heroes. I got a few pretty solid mechanics thought up already, but a lot more is still in flux. Nearly every month I come up with a different mechanic which solves some of my previous problems while introducing different ones. Not gonna lie, it gives me some serious anxiety and I'm afraid it won't go away until I'm able to properly prototype them.

Last, but not least, some of you Unity haters are gonna be very happy about it. A while ago I switched from Unity to Godot. It went way easier than I thought and I gotta say I really like this engine. The only problem I encountered is that Godot doesn't support compute shaders yet, so I had to get creative while rewriting my terrain system. Fortunately, I found this little library that allows you to run simple C# programs on GPU, so I managed to bypass the lack of CS, while also making another part of my code engine independent. You can see the result in the video below. I recently added the submerged parts of the landmass which fade into the depths of the water. It's supposed to sell the idea that you're looking at the land at an angle. Not sure if it works or not, please let me know. I'll eventually try adding shore foam/waves as well.

Norfleet

From a design standpoint, I totally dropped the 'Suzerain' (immortal mage ruler) mechanic in favour of putting more focus on the actual civilization-building/heroes.
Honestly, you should keep the God Emperor. I mean, you could TRY to create a dynamic where the ruler isn't somehow an immortal being, but when you consider it, the player ultimately provides that kind of immortal continuity of focus anyway, so you may as well have a God Emperor figure. At least then, the fact that the civilization somehow retains continuity of purpose and vision makes sense.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Norfleet I'm not saying no, since I changed my mind on some designs multiple times so far. I feel, however, that this is a feature that brings very little in terms of mechanics to a project which is already scope-creeped like hell. And in terms of theme, I'd rather put the focus on the civilization's progress/customization. A concept that is IMO underutilized in fantasy 4xs (as opposed to the concept of an immortal sorcerer-king ;) ).

Norfleet

Yeah, but who is controlling/directing the civilization's progress/customization? If it controls itself, you run into the Crusader Kings problem: The AI is a bunch of random dudes derping around, somewhat derpily, while the player provides some kind of trans-generational guiding force in the form of an immortal ghost that serially possesses the kings of a dynasty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom