Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Top 10 Redux: Non-RPG edition

Longshanks

Augur
The RPG elements in System Shock are far fewer than those in VtmB.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Longshanks said:

Specifically, the shooter aspects in System Shock 2 are almost entirely player skill dependent, while Bloodlines mixes mostly character skill with a bit of player skill.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Jaime Lannister said:
God of War has all of that too.
no, it does not. no skills, no attributes other than the trivial rage/hp/whatever meters, only a very narrow number of abilities in the form of weapons and spells, which are all maxable without cheating (though it takes effort), and by no account does training different kinds of them affect gameplay in any drastic way, nor is there any non-viable build that would prevent you from finishing it at all (heck, you can finish without improving anything). the system in god of war is very simplistic compared to even something as simple as oblivion, while ss2's, or even dx's for that matter, is not.

last and probably least, both dx and ss2 sport an initial character creation.

you have stats, inventories, more than one variety of skills/stats/abilities, different builds with different gameplay, and in the case of deus ex also different character interactions.
thats at least the same you have in the average hns, and more than that in not that few cases, and also more than in many games.
if eschalon or diablo/titan quest are rpgs, there is no reason to say ss2 or deus ex are not.

Jaime Lannister said:
Longshanks said:

Specifically, the shooter aspects in System Shock 2 are almost entirely player skill dependent, while Bloodlines mixes mostly character skill with a bit of player skill.
hey, tactics and strategy in bloodlines are entirely player dependent, even though all the characters have strategy and tactics skills of omgnonexistent.

hm, no rpg has those skills playing a major part in battles, especially not those turn and grid based games, wonder why that is... oh right, guess it's because it would be boring to watch your units being auto-steered in a game with a heavy combat focus like baldur's gate, even though strategy and tactics are both viable candidates for character skills.

what makes system shock's sacrifice of simulation aspects over gameplay any different than being unable to play a master strategist or a really sucky tactician independent from your player skill in bloodlines?
also, bloodlines system might affect performance more, but the player skill was still the main decisive factor. maxed skills didn't mean squat in any boss fight if you were a lousy gamer.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
You should have made it a requirement for people to say why they picked titles and stuff. Off the top of my head I would say

1. Resident Evil 4 because I've never felt like I was truly kicking ass in a game before this one.
2. One of the zeldas because I like the dungeon/puzzle things. I don't like them as much as I used to but there still pretty fun.
3. Starcraft because of the massive amount of time I spent playing it back in the day.
4. SWAT 4 because it's pretty good.
5. Battlefield 2 because it was fun and I got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
#10: Killer 7, for it's style and writing.

#9: Quake, for it's gritty setting, and fun shooting.

#8: Ninja gaiden - Xbox, for making you feel like a baddass.

#7: Doom 64, for it's advance graphics, improved sound, and awsome levels.

#6: Unreal original, for it's level variety, unique weapons, and kick ass music ((Music composer also did music for mask of the betrayer)) .

#5: Ape escape, for having a blast trying to complete it 100%.

#4: Psychonauts, for it's over the top content, and humor.

#3: Halo: combat evolved, for it's buttery smooth controls, and grenades that are actually helpful.

#2: Oddworld: strangers wraith, for it's bizzare use of ammo ((Live critters)) and stylized visuals.

#1: Ultimate Doom, for addictive gameplay.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
1. Starflight (are we counting this as an RPG or not?)
2. Wing Commander 2
3. Master of Orion
4. Sonic 2
5. Descent 3 (only counting multiplayer here)
6. Starcraft
7. Mechwarrior 2
8. Tie Fighter
9. Space Rangers 2
10. Space Quest V

I'm counting Dues Ex and SS as RPGs by the way.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Shadow of the Colossus - I'm surprised no one had mentioned this masterpiece (or Ico) yet.
Worms - A simple concept, brilliantly executed.
Duke Nukem 3D - How can you not love a game where the main character says: "Your face, your ass, what's the difference?"
Starcraft - A standard-defining RTS.
Metal Gear Solid - The 'it feels like playing an action movie' concept done right.
Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Is liek teh best acshun/adventar/puzzal game EVAR!
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Super Metroid's amazing platformer formula taken to the next level.
Half-Life 2 - Possibly the most satisfying weapons to kill with in an FPS.
Aliens vs Predator 2 - Xenomorph gameplay FTW.

mondblut

Arcane
Dominions (all 3)
King of Dragon Pass
Celtic Tales
Master of Magic
Master of Orion 2
Warlords 2
Civilization 2
Romance of 3 Kingdoms 4
Premier Manager 99
Ultimate Soccer Manager 98

just because i love strategies and soccer management sims (if they don't play like excel), and those are the best i played.

Deleted member 7219

1. Star Wars: TIE Fighter (Collector's CD)

Best game ever, bar none. Fully voiced dialogue, serious and interesting plotlines (not arcadey at all, this was probably the first proper EU game), quirky iMUSE midi soundtrack, and it still runs like a dream in Dosbox.

2. Star Wars: Jedi Knight Dark Forces II

One of the first '3d' shooters, was ahead of its time by a few years, multiplayer was great too. The cutscenes were a little cheesy but looked as good as the movies to an excited 10-year old version of myself. Lightsaber combat looks a little shit now but at the time there was nothing quite like it.

3. Half-Life 2/Episode One/Episode Two

Excellent storyline/animations/voice acting, fun gameplay, interesting puzzles/combat situations.

4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Best of the series, awesome soundtrack, fun plot, great city/visuals.

5. Warcraft III/Frozen Throne

Some of the best cutscenes I've ever seen in a game. I was hard torn between this and Age of Mythology, but I went for this because AoM becomes formulaic while this has a semi-RPG approach in some of its missions, which keeps it interesting.

yellowcake

Arcane
1. Tie Figther Collectors' DOS edition (this is how politics work);
2. Half - Life (story, setting, atmosphere);
3. Doom 2 (best music in a game ever. also: best weapon - double barreled shotgun. Why they don't make games anymore in which you can kill five guys with one shot?);
4. System Shock (this game was scary. i was afraid looking around every corner);
5. Magic Carpet (remake, anyone?);
6. Oni (story, motion captured melee, level design!, infinite replayability);
7. Severance: BoD (CRUELTY);
8. Dungeon Keeper (Reaper was a mean bastard. also: punishing this leather-clad babe was fun);
9. Privateer;
10. Dune 2 (The planet Arrakis... Home of a spice... melange...).

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
edit: duh, read first post, should be 5

1. The Secret of Monkey Island
2. Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge
3. Master of Magic
4. TIE Fighter
5. Civilization ][

Hory

Erudite
1. King's Quest 1
2. King's Quest 2
3. King's Quest 3
4. King's Quest 4
5. King's Quest 5
6. King's Quest 6
7. King's Quest 7
8. King's Quest 8
9. King's Quest 1 Remake
10. King's Quest 2 Remake

kris

Arcane
kris said:
1. Europa Universalis II - I played no game more than this one, directly when I saw it on the counter I could see it would be a game for me.
2. Starcraft - From I beta tested it, I played it a lot, it just had a lot of strategy. The multiplayer during the beta was really fun, after release the multiplayer was not as fun though.
3. Lords of the rising sun - The oldie I just loved, gave me new interest in Japanese history and Yoshitsune, their old legendary hero.
4. Championship manager 3 - I love football and think this was the best edition of the manager games I played, at least the one I played the most.
5. Wings - Possibly the only non-strategy I finished twice.

Pooper convince me to add comments.

Jora

Arcane
I only have 5 favorites:

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Mario Kart
Deus Ex
King of Dragon Pass

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Ahhhhh.... so many awesome games to recall. I'll probably regret it no matter what I post, so I'll just throw some out there.

Starcraft (PC) - Aside from the normal gameplay being impressive, I've yet to see anything as impressive as the UMS maps created by it's fans. Even with amazingly superior tools, WC3 really hasn't stepped up here like I had hoped it would. There are UMS maps on Starcraft that are such amazing games unto themselves, I feel it to be a terrible loss that time has marched on and the servers are filled wiht nothing but asians and retards. I'd kill for some more games of my favourite Magic the Gathering map on there; but it'll never be again. *Sniff*

Metal Warriors (SNES) - I never got far in the single player, but this is the coolest fucking mech fighting game I've ever played. Something like 8 different mechs, each radically different (One mech is a ball that can unfold into a turret, or roll around and smash into things, and thats it. Another is a spider thing that can turn invisible, and walk along walls and ceilings, another is a flying saucer/propeller thingy. And so on.) You could eject from your vehicle to move into another unoccupied one, and they tended to be scattered around the level. You could also eject to take shortcuts mechs wouldn't fit through, or to escape your doomed mech in a losing firefight. Coolest fucking vs game ever.

Dwarf Fortress - Holy fucking hell is this game amazing. Seriously. Nothing can possibly beat a game where the units are so hardcore they smith axes even without arms or legs. This game should be legendary. Boatmurdered alone is a fucking epic saga to rival at least the bottom three quarters of written fiction.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSX) - This is a lot like Super Metroid. If you've never played it but liked Metroid and castlevania, you've really got to try it. Excellent music, great atmosphere, cool bosses (Granfaloon beats out any other boss, ever.), it has the works.

Armored Core 2: Another Age (PS2) - This is a personal one, I must admit. But it really is the ebst of the series thus far. After this one they kept crapping out games with smaller and less varied maps for vs. mode, less challenging and interesting missions in single player. I played this a LOT with a friend one summer. I can still remmeber some of the awesome battles we had; doding around inside a volcano with a destructable bridge, both of us near death and running low on ammo, trying to sneak up on the other to land a shot or a slice. Or me stalking him in a giant abandoned city with my stealth sniper, occasionally landing shots from some sky scraper and beginning a hectic melee before breaking away and dashing off into the night to start all over again. If Metal Warriors is the best vs game ever, this one is still my favourite. He and I became astonishingly skilled from all our battles, and none of the sequels have really posed any fair challenge to us, or any really interesting vs opportunities.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
1. X-Com UFO defense
2. Master of Orion
3. Starcraft
4. Super Mario World
5. Doom

Hazelnut

Erudite
Claw said:
There is no game called "The Secret of Monkey Island 2"

Yeah, sorry about that in my list - conflated the titles. (I wuz tired) I just recently replayed them on my sons DS too. (ScummVM DS port FTW)

NiM82

Prophet
NiM82 said:
1. System Shock II - The atmosphere, the tension, the audio.
2. Operation Flashpoint - Like having a sandpit full of green guys and tanks all over again.
3. Independence War II: Edge of Chaos - Only space sim where I've felt truly in control of spacecraft, gorgeous visuals, great UI and a really nice atmosphere/story.
4. Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight/MotS - Made great use of the license, lots of atmosphere, lovely level design, fun gameplay.
5. Total Annihilation - Big explosions, hectic battles, lots of scope, still looks awesome.
I've also added comments.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
1. NHL 08
1. MVP 05
3. Madden 2006
4. Megamania
5. Raw vs. Smackdown 2008

Radech

Augur
top ten list are an evil evil invention!

oh well here goes

1. Transport Tycoon Deluxe - even though I've been an addict pumping WoW straight into my veins, and played DoD till my fingers bled, this simple little game has stolen more of my time than those combined

2. Civ2 - do I really need to elaborate this is probably the best game ever made, but i like trains.. :P

3. Day of Defeat (mod for Half-Life) - A multiplayer fps, that worked, and the community was awesome, very few dumb kids, main old farts shooting nazis - awesome, nothing beats a game were you can do a gather and everyone get hammered :D

4. HoMM3 - if you have 1 comp 2-3 guys and need to kill some time, heres your answer

5. Starcraft - The RTS benchmark, not much else to say. (btw to the guy who said it's a shame most SC custommaps are long forgotten, I think almost all the old semipopular SCmaps have been ported to WC3, even though most wc3 maps are hero oriented)

replayability > everything imo, but dammit couldn't fit all my favorites if it were a top 50 :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom