Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex KOTOR 2 review

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
I think you summed it up very well.

Item upgrades totally broke KotOR 2.

You could easily upgrade a sword to kill people in 2 hits. You could easily make blasters that do just a bit less, except with greater critical hit chances.

Broken mechanics can never ever save a game. You break the mechanics, and you break the game.

racofer

Thread Incliner
While lurking the codex archives, I've stumbled on this post. :lol:

aboyd said:
After seeing the Camarilla ending to Bloodlines, I thought I'd witnessed the worst ending in any modern game. KOTOR 2 beats that signifigantly, in a number of laughably fucking stupid ways.

For what it's worth, fans have apparently found an amazing batch of (many) good endings, buried in the KOTOR2 code. It appears that even the voicework (with translations) was completed and simply cut out. So maybe if you save the game, in a month you can get the fully restored ending as a mod.

I wish I could send message back in time to him: R00fles!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So i take the restored ending mod got canned? I was kinda waiting for it before playing KOTOR2, then forgot about it. The game is currently collecting dust on my shelf.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Vault Dweller said:
Another thing is delegation, and this one is extremely annoying. Throughout the game, you'd have to use party members to complete different gameplay objectives. No, it's not as fun as it sounds. For example, at some point the game puts Atton the ranged support character against two blade-wielding melee assassins. I haven't been using him for awhile and thus didn't upgrade him into a Jedi with powahz. Luckily the combat is that easy, and the AI isn't the brightest so it's easy to put an obstacle like a table between you and your dumb opponent, safely shooting at him/her with extreme prejudice.
I remember that fight. That's exactly what I did too.

KOTOR 2 on hard difficulty :

Sword-stab hits Darth Nihilus! Nihilus dies!
Cutscene : "No he's too strong we can't defeat him help blah blah." Cutscene ends. Sword-stab hits Darth Nihilus, Nihilus dies.

oldschool

Scholar
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
KOTOR 2 on hard difficulty :

Sword-stab hits Darth Nihilus! Nihilus dies!
Cutscene : "No he's too strong we can't defeat him help blah blah." Cutscene ends. Sword-stab hits Darth Nihilus, Nihilus dies.

Exactly. Only topped by the even more epic Darth Sion battle.

Player and Darth Sion fight!

Player: "Don't you want to just give up and let me win?"

Sion: "No!"

Player and Darth Sion fight some more!

Player : "It would be really easy to just give up, you know."

Sion: "No!"

More fighting...

Player: "Dude."

Sion: "Ok."

Darth Sion dies.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"ME>>JE/NWN > K1 + K2 >>>NWN2"

WRONG.

NWN: TP > BG2 > ME > JE > BG1 > NWN2 OC > NWN OC > KOTOR1 > KOTOR2

racofer

Thread Incliner
"NWN: TP > BG2 > ME > JE > BG1 > NWN2 OC > NWN OC > KOTOR1 > KOTOR2"

WRONG.

*volly mode: on*
ME>>JE/NWN > K1 + K2 >>>NWN2
R00fles!

*volly mode: off*

Wyrmlord

Arcane
There is one thing to keep in mind about the KotOR games.

They had cinematics for arrival on a planet, departure from it, and blast to hyperspace.

While this is a very simple thing to implement, it did wonders for those games.

Hubs in KotOR are incredibly small and confined. When they implemented these animations, it gave the strong impression that you were travelling through many worlds through large distances and long periods of time. It made a small game seem giant in size.

Fact is that just for this, many people were talking somewhat silly things like, "When you play KotOR, you really feel like you are in a large galactic adventure. You feel like you live another life, of a privateer in space." And for this, both the games received unanimously positive reviews.

So if the KotOR games, prove anything, it is "Do a few things right, and you get away with getting many things wrong." The above use of cinematics, as well as simple banter between and during missions, apart from the big explosive beginning of the game and the crash onto the planet, were enough to garner strong positive reactions from the gaming community.

Even though those things have nothing to do with actual gameplay at all. Hell, it is not like the KotOR games deserve any praise for presentation either. They were ugly as fuck in 2003, they are ugly now, they have bad music, they have awful looking levels, they have terrible facial animations, but even as mainstream games, they get away with it.

Compare these to Betrayal At Krondor, which was giant enough to actually give you a long stretching adventure, rather than just give the feel of it. Even Arena, with its simplistic 3D technology, is an absolute giant of a game, and in some ways, it has even better presentation and story, let alone gameplay.

Mainstream games don't even have to even LOOK pretty to get high sales.

Relayer71

Liturgist
"NWN: TP > BG2 > ME > JE > BG1 > NWN2 OC > NWN OC > KOTOR1 > KOTOR2"

Wrong.

BG2 > NWN 2 MoTB > ME = KOTOR 2. Don't bother playing any other Bioware game or the NWN 2 OC.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Wyrmlord said:
It made a small game seem giant in size.

Um no. I see what you mean and you have a point - it did add some immersion. But it didn't change the fact that the areas you visited were just tiny linear 'levels". There was no disguising it.

They should have had the game take place in one GIANT city and it would have been much better than what they did. It was just laughable.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Jaime Lannister said:
For me KotOR 1 is a much more fun hack-n-slash game. Combat is fun before you get the ridiculously overpowered Master Flurry and kill everything by spamming that. Getting enemies to run over mines is fun, if a little ridiculous.

KotOR 2 has a much better story, despite the fact that it rips off Planescape rather heavily in some cases. Collecting Jedi Masters was a much better idea than collecting star maps simply because you can talk to a Jedi Master, and star maps, well, they're just star maps. Also side quests could continue through multiple planets, which was cool, even though some were unfinished. (who was the false Batu Rem? What's the story behind the HK-50s?) The level scaling was stupid, even though it wasn't as noticeable as Oblivion's, but the combat got far too easy at the end, and the boss fights didn't compare to KotOR 1's. Finally, there was much more dialogue, and it was definitely better written.

My impressions from September 2007.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom