Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KOTOR 2 impressions

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Overview:

To put it simply, I didn't like KOTOR 2. Two main reasons are ridiculously easy combat that killed the combat-related part of the game and the lack of a coherent story that killed the rest. The rushed Bloodlines-style ending didn't help either. The dialogues were good, but the dialogues alone can't carry a game.

Character system:

Same old 3 classes that are forcefully upgraded into 3 better classes later. More feats, more powers, same skills, new lightsaber styles which are basically combat modifiers: +1 to attack, -2 to defense, etc. Nothing that would change the gameplay formula significantly. It would have been nice to have those things in KOTOR, but I expected more from a sequel.

Crafting itamz:

Nice feature. You can break existing items into components and make new items, including upgrade items that could turn even a crappy stick into a deadly blade of ultimate doom and extreme ownage. Sounds cool in theory. I bet such a system would have been a blast in FO3 where items were rare. In KOTOR 2 items are everywhere. Even animals imported to different planets from the Diablo universe drop items. I don't need to craft anything because I have plenty of everything. I used medkits twice and that was when the game Forced me to play someone else (more on that later). You can find plenty of items, so when I finally loaded everything I found into my lightsaber, the damage output was enough to kill everything in 2-3 hits. I suppose I could have fine-tuned it with better upgrades to 1-2 hits but why bother?

Combat:

Meet gameplay killer Number One. It makes all those feats, lightsaber styles, and upgrading absolutely pointless. It turns an army of all kinda Sith - assassins, masters, marauders, soldiers, etc - into annoying pests waiting to be dealt with. Guardians can kill anything including uber villains in 2-3 attacks. Consulars can kill anything in a 2-mile radius with 2-3 force storms/waves. 'nuff said.

Teh Stori:

You are the last Jedi whose every non-robot companion is a Jedi and who's sent by another Jedi to look for 4 Jedi Masters. If you see nothing wrong with that sentense, you'll like the game very much. Also, it's worth noting that the "find 4 itamz on 4 different planets" schtick is pretty much the story. There is nothing else to it. This is not Planscape Torment, this is basically a series of loosely connected scenarios where you can practice your role-playing skills and listen to well-written, but empty dialogues about the Force and Jedi.

Of course, you are the Special One, and you get a Force bond just like the one in KOTOR. Yay for originality. Also, you are a war veteran and a GENERAL, yet you start at level 1 with 0 skills. Some General, huh?

NPCs & Dialogue:

The characters are better, but not by much. The comparison with PST characters is inevitable, and KOTOR 2 loses easily. The dialogues are very good though. Unfortunately, they don't tell a story because KOTOR 2 doesn't have that feature, so everything revolves around the Force, Jedi, and right&wrong in that context. After awhile it gets boring because you are just restating the position of your character.

Role-Playing:

That's another solid part of the game. There are plenty of side-taking decision-making skill&stat using well-designed situations. If they were connected with a story, it would have been a damn good RPG.

Two things that I want to mention here. First, the skill integration into gameplay is great. You can use all the skills you have in a variety of ways. For example, you can use Treat Injury to understand medical logs, heal wounded and sick NPCs (not party members!), and even get dialogue lines showing understanding of the subject.

Another thing is delegation, and this one is extremely annoying. Throughout the game, you'd have to use party members to complete different gameplay objectives. No, it's not as fun as it sounds. For example, at some point the game puts Atton the ranged support character against two blade-wielding melee assassins. I haven't been using him for awhile and thus didn't upgrade him into a Jedi with powahz. Luckily the combat is that easy, and the AI isn't the brightest so it's easy to put an obstacle like a table between you and your dumb opponent, safely shooting at him/her with extreme prejudice.

Conclusion:

The game shows a lot of promise, there are many nice features, yet it plays like the original. Perhaps Obsidian was afraid to move from the "award-winning formula", perhaps Lucas Arts is to blame here (Remember, kids, always try to blame the publisher. Those fuckers are more evil than a bunch of Sith Lords). It's not a bad game, but it's not a good game either. It's somewhere in the middle, bundled together with Bloodlines under the "why did they have to ruin a good game with something stupid" category.

Edit: Decided to add another paragraph on story and linearity:

Story & Linearity: *****SPOILERS ALERT*****

Ultimately, the game is about finding 4 Jedi Masters. To find them you must follow linear quests on 4 different planets. Each master would show up or talk to you only after you've done most of his/her planet's quests. Each master basically tells you the same thing, and only when all of them are together or dead which is the same thing because they die the moment they get together, you get to proceed without any answers or clues to the final portions of the game. Needless to say the dialogues don't play a major role presenting this "story".

Stark

Liturgist
the too easy combat comment pretty much killed my interest in this game. that's $60 I save, thanks VD.

on a side note, it gets me wondering if the easy combat is a concious design decision (to cater to 5 year old kids).

Eclecticist

Liturgist
What truly killed KotOR 2 for me was all of the Torment similarities.

Torment is my favourite game, and seeing it cheapened in this way sickened me.

Other than that, I enjoyed the skills usable in dialogue, and I thought some of the planet design was very well done and could have looked great. Unfortunately the mapping department really bombed out and created stale pieces of shit where there could have been wonders (Nar Shadaa, for instance).

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Thanks VD. I stay away from Star Wars Universe games nowadays anyway due to major suckage, but I was at one point contemplating buying this game. If the combat's too easy then fuck it.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
since i dont really want to rehash comments ive made on the obsidian forum, ill just state that i agree with vault dwellers comments about the combat, but disagree with his comments about the story.

wesleyclark

Augur
Thank you for the write-up.

After Vol's post, I decided to hold off and wait. First time I ever waited on a title I had been folllowing - looks like I actually made the right decision.

Vault Dweller

Developer
NeverwinterKnight said:
since i dont really want to rehash comments ive made on the obsidian forum, ill just state that i agree with vault dwellers comments about the combat, but disagree with his comments about the story.
Well, repost them here, let's have some fun.

EEVIAC

Erudite
VD said:
Throughout the game, you'd have to use party members to complete different gameplay objectives.

This is the worst design idea ever. It was ok for the tutorial, but to repeat it throughout the game was just stupid. I don't like playing pre-defined characters in RPG's, and to force you to in a game that has decent character customization seems counter-productive.

After seeing the Camarilla ending to Bloodlines, I thought I'd witnessed the worst ending in any modern game. KOTOR 2 beats that signifigantly, in a number of laughably fucking stupid ways. The lack of a proper ending might be attributable to Lucasarts rushing the game, but there are a number of design decisions before that which aren't so easily explained.

I didn't see nearly as many positives as you did, VD. Dull, pretentious writing - ordinary level design - ordinary NPC's (I can only assume they didn't include Jolee because you couldn't turn him into a Jedi and that would totally ruin the gameplay dynamic they had going) - low quality graphics and sound - general buginess on my system - apart from some of the skill integrations, there isn't much I liked about the game.

----

Oops, almost forgot. Just to start some shit, KOTOR 2 better or worse than the first? I say much worse.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Thanks, despite already having paid 60 dollars and owning the game, reading your review has convinced me not to buy a 2nd copy of the game. You've truly awakened me.

On another note, you are wrong.

are ridiculously easy combat that killed the combat
Not for me. Play on the hardest difficulty level and a lot of the boss encounters are challenging. The footsoldiers aren't supposed to be difficult, anyhow. You're a powerful jedi, they aren't. You wouldn't be much of a jedi if everybody and his grandmother could kick your ass.

The dialogues were good, but the dialogues alone can't carry a game.
Similar to PS:T, the Dialogues = Gameplay. Explain why they aren't, and maybe your argument will make some sense. It's an RPG, as such, the dialogue IS the gameplay.

*snip* It would have been nice to have those things in KOTOR, but I expected more from a sequel.
Such as?

Crafting itamz:
What's wrong with this feature? It's a feature. It's in the game. It's a plus, whether you use it or not. Would you prefer if it wasn't implemented? Does having item crafting somehow detract from the game?

Meet gameplay killer Number One. It makes all those feats, lightsaber styles, and upgrading absolutely pointless. It turns an army of all kinda Sith - assassins, masters, marauders, soldiers, etc - into annoying pests waiting to be dealt with. Guardians can kill anything including uber villains in 2-3 attacks. Consulars can kill anything in a 2-mile radius with 2-3 force storms/waves. 'nuff said.
Play on the hardest difficulty level and you might revise this belief.

Of course, you are the Special One, and you get a Force bond just like the one in KOTOR. Yay for originality. Also, you are a war veteran and a GENERAL, yet you start at level 1 with 0 skills. Some General, huh?
*cough*Balance*cough* Besides, you lost all of your force powers and don't have any at the beginning of the game. The War Veteran bonus makes up for your shortcomings at the beginning.

This is not Planscape Torment, this is basically a series of loosely connected scenarios where you can practice your role-playing skills and listen to well-written, but empty dialogues about the Force and Jedi.
Hello? You could offer the same criticism about any book, or game. You can call a storyline, however well written, "empty dialogue" simply because you don't like it. What's an empty dialogue? As far as I know, most of the dialogue in the game serves some purpose - to enlighten the player on a subject, to allow the player to influence the situation with his input, or to imbue the player with a new ability or power. How is it 'empty dialogue'?

The characters are better, but not by much. The comparison with PST characters is inevitable, and KOTOR 2 loses easily. The dialogues are very good though. Unfortunately, they don't tell a story because KOTOR 2 doesn't have that feature, so everything revolves around the Force, Jedi, and right&wrong in that context. After awhile it gets boring because you are just restating the position of your character.
I don't know where this is coming from. For starters, the characters in KOTOR2 have interesting backgrounds that you can discover if you care to, and they won't bother you with their backgrounds if you tell them not to; a stark contrast from the forced dialogue of KOTOR1. As for the force, Jedi, right & wrong, it's a matter of role-playing your character. This is a role-playing game, you realize?

That's another solid part of the game. There are plenty of side-taking decision-making skill&stat using well-designed situations. If they were connected with a story, it would have been a damn good RPG.
Did I miss something here, or aren't the decisions you make all related to the welfare of the planet, or characters you make the decisions in relation to? Last I checked, that was all a part of the story. It sounds to me like you're panning the game just for the sake of panning it.

You're making the game sound a lot worse than it actually is. It's a good game. It's not the best game, but the story and the characters are up there with Planescape: Torment which by the way wasn't much of an RPG due to its linearity, unless for some reason you seem to think that picking one of the 10 arbitrary dialogue choices during your encounter with Ravel is somehow 'nonlinear'.

KOTOR2 is actually non-linear, because your actions throughout the game (or force position) can determine encounters in the game. If you have 25 light points in Dantooine, you'll meet Mira. If you have 25 dark points, you'll get Hanharr instead. A lot of the dialogue you pick at the beginning, such as your understanding of Revan, his gender, and so forth determine some of the encounters you'll have later in the game.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Eclecticist said:
What truly killed KotOR 2 for me was all of the Torment similarities.

Torment is my favourite game, and seeing it cheapened in this way sickened me.

Are you on crack? They're written by the same person, so of course the style will be similar. But cheapened? Give me a fucking break. That's like saying you refuse to buy Terry Pratchett's new book because the similarity 'cheapens' his last book.

Vault Dweller

Developer
EEVIAC said:
I didn't see nearly as many positives as you did, VD.
What can I say? I'm Mr.Positive :lol:

Just to start some shit, KOTOR 2 better or worse than the first? I say much worse.
I'd say that the first one is a better game too.

Seven

Erudite
I don't know if I agree with play on higher difficulty statement. To me good games shoulkd be optimized such that it should be both fun and challenging on the normal setting. I suppose if that's the only option beggars can't be choosers, right?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, complaining about the lack of difficulty without wanting to play it on a higher difficulty level would be the same as complaining about the music on the radio without wanting to simply change the freaking channel and complaining, "I shouldn't have to change the channel! The radio should be playing the music I want to listen to!". It's ridiculous as hell.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Exitium said:
You wouldn't be much of a jedi if everybody and his grandmother could kick your ass.
Everybody? Yes. I expect to easily triumph over common grunts, but killing Sith Marauders, Assassins, and Dark Jedi in a few hits is a bit too much for my taste.

Similar to PS:T, the Dialogues = Gameplay. Explain why they aren't, and maybe your argument will make some sense. It's an RPG, as such, the dialogue IS the gameplay.
PST actually had a story that the dialogues nicely presented. KOTOR 2 doesn't have one, so the dialogues, while well written, feel empty.

More classes, more diverse abilities, being able ability to multiclass properly, better balance of force powers.

What's wrong with this feature? It's a feature. It's in the game. It's a plus, whether you use it or not. Would you prefer if it wasn't implemented? Does having item crafting somehow detract from the game?
I didn't say that it sucked, did I? It's a good feature that was basically useless, because there was no need to use it other than to organize the inventory.

Play on the hardest difficulty level and you might revise this belief.
I agree with Seven. I prefer to play games as they come, without having to tweak the options.

*cough*Balance*cough* Besides, you lost all of your force powers and don't have any at the beginning of the game. The War Veteran bonus makes up for your shortcomings at the beginning.
What balance? War vet gives you 25 bonus HPs, that's all. I'm not asking where my force powahz are, I know that I've lost connection with the Force and all that. Did I forget how to aim a blaster too?

What's an empty dialogue?
The one that's about nothing, like the Seinfeld show. It could be good and it could be entertaining like hanging out with friends, but ultimately it's about nothing.

Ultimately, the game is about finding 4 Jedi Masters. To find them you must follow linear quests on 4 different planets. Each master would show up or talk to you only after you've done most of his/her planet's quests. Each master basically tells you the same thing, and only when all of them are together or dead which is the same thing because they die the moment they get together, you get to proceed without any answers or clues to the final portions of the game. Needless to say the dialogues don't play a major role presenting this "story".

Edit: I should add that part to my impressions.

As far as I know, most of the dialogue in the game serves some purpose - to enlighten the player on a subject, to allow the player to influence the situation with his input, or to imbue the player with a new ability or power. How is it 'empty dialogue'?
See above. Btw, everything has a purpose, so that doesn't mean anything.

I don't know where this is coming from. For starters, the characters in KOTOR2 have interesting backgrounds that you can discover if you care to, and they won't bother you with their backgrounds if you tell them not to; a stark contrast from the forced dialogue of KOTOR1. As for the force, Jedi, right & wrong, it's a matter of role-playing your character. This is a role-playing game, you realize?
Yes, I realize, that's why I said that the role-playing part is good, however it was boring to explain why I defied the council and went to war to everyone and their fucking dog. There was nothing else to talk about. Like I said, eventually it was just restating your character's position on the basic Force-related matters.

Did I miss something here, or aren't the decisions you make all related to the welfare of the planet, or characters you make the decisions in relation to? Last I checked, that was all a part of the story. It sounds to me like you're panning the game just for the sake of panning it.
No, that was not a part of the story. The story is to find the 4 Jedi and to deal with the Sith Lords, not to take care of each and every planet.

It's not the best game, but the story and the characters are up there with Planescape: Torment
I disagree but that's a matter of taste, so no argument could be built on that.

KOTOR2 is actually non-linear, because your actions throughout the game (or force position) can determine encounters in the game.
It is actually very linear. It's no more non-linear than KOTOR where you get an option to say that you are Revan on Korriban if you already know who you are.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Well, repost them here, let's have some fun.

its really not that important and its not like my comments will change your view of the storyline.

in a nutshell, i felt the story was good. i didnt think it was incoherent at all, apart from the ending, but i dont think its fair to discredit the entire story just because the ending sucked (or so thinks many people who played it).

i cant really comment on your coherent comment though because you didnt really give examples, other than that "you are not the last jedi" thing, about what made you feel it was incoherent. that part about "you are the last jedi", ive already explained to volourn why its feasible if you actually take into account what kreia says to you at the end.

for those who havent played the game yet, ignore the rest of this post from here on out
the story made sense. whether you liked it or not doesnt automatically make it an incoherent story. but heres the basics:
1)you are the last known jedi.
why this makes sense? because for the sith that are hunting you (and i will get to why they are hunting you in a moment), they believe you to be the last known jedi. the other jedi are in hiding, such as the masters who are scattered. the other jedi are making an actual effort to remain hidden, while the exile (you) are just walking around, not bothering to hide your presense.

also, volourn likes to bring up "well im not a jedi unless i choose to become one", but the thing is, for the sith who are hunting you, that is just semantics. since betrayal, deceit, ect. are foundations for the sith teachings, they dont trust you. just because you keep (or atleast volourn seemed to) harping that youre no longer a jedi, that doesnt mean theyre going to say "oh ok. even though you are powerful and can destroy me, since you say youre no longer in the jedi order ill just leave you be". so as far as they are concerned, ANYONE who can harm them or ruin their plans is a "jedi" (ie. a threat).

2)hopping from planet to planet
why it makes sense? because you (the exile) want questions answered about why you were cut off from the force and why the council cast you out. the only way to get those answers it to seek out the jedi masters who were responsible for this, and thus the planet hopping begins. add to that, the fact that the sith have revealed themselves and thus, you need the help of those jedi masters to a)if youre lightside, help you defeat the sith or b)if you are darkside, find out how they cut you off from the force and allow you to be powerful enough to defeat the sith.

3)kreia was behind it all
her little diatribe at the end explains the above two plot points in greater detail. shes the one that set the events in motion because a)she wanted you to become a "success" to prove to everyone that she wasnt a failure as a teacher, b)she wanted the strange ability you had to "separate" yourself from the force and c)she wanted revenge on the jedi council AND the sith for casting her out, and thus needed you as bait, if you will, to get both of those to reveal themselves.

those are the three main basic plotpoints that you deal with and why you do the things you do in this game. if youd like explanations for the finer points, name them and ill do my best to explain why i believe they make sense.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The footsoldiers aren't supposed to be difficult, anyhow."

Hello, Mcfly? Some of those 'footsoldiers' you speka of are friggin' actual SITH LORDS with no name. R00fles! Point out the next SW movie where SITH LORDS are used as simple canon fodder. Even KOTOR1 didn't stoop that low.

"Play on the hardest difficulty level and you might revise this belief."

No. the game is supposedly balanced to be challenging on 'normal' level. Not to mention, higher difficulty simply increases their hit points and other basic stuff. Big friggin' shit. That just means it takes an extra round or two to win. Woopity do dah.

"cough*Balance*cough* Besides, you lost all of your force powers and don't have any at the beginning of the game. The War Veteran bonus makes up for your shortcomings at the beginning."

Yo McFly! You are a WAR VETERAN with a bab of +1. R00fles!

"For starters, the characters in KOTOR2 have interesting backgrounds that you can discover if you care to, and they won't bother you with their backgrounds if you tell them not to; a stark contrast from the forced dialogue of KOTOR1."

The vast majority of the joinable npcs' (not the robots) past history comes down to this: Bad things happened. *Yawn* The dialogue of the npcs while usually well written is the veryd efinition of forced, and repetitive. Only Bao Dur seemed to have a completely realistic background. Even my fave, Handmaiden's was a tad stretchy. KOTOR1's npcs' backstories were a lot more believable for the most part, and made sense.

"It's not the best game, but the story and the characters are up there with Planescape: Torment which by the way wasn't much of an RPG due to its linearity"

No. Neither the story or the characetrs are even in PST's league. kreia coulda been if she wans't so damn obvious in her attempt to be 'subtle'.

"KOTOR2 is actually non-linear, because your actions throughout the game (or force position) can determine encounters in the game. If you have 25 light points in Dantooine, you'll meet Mira. If you have 25 dark points, you'll get Hanharr instead. A lot of the dialogue you pick at the beginning, such as your understanding of Revan, his gender, and so forth determine some of the encounters you'll have later in the game."

No, it's pretty much linear. Even more so than KOTOR1. Like KOTOR1, the big differences are LS vs. DS. Other than that, the path is exactly the same just different planet orders. And, hell, it literally stole KOTOR's major plot points - "amnesia", force bondage, main female NPC betraying the PC (even more obviously), collect 4 items, et.c, etc.

VD: You pretty much hit it on the head though I actually think the story is good. Not greta; but good. Coulda been much more. However, i find it hialrious that you were basically calling me a stupid fanboy when I made fun of KOTOR2 when I did my 'early review'. How quickly the opinions change. Never argue with Volourn. I'm *always* right.

NWK: Sorry; but you ar esimply wrong about the Last jedi thing. Most of the Sith thata ctually speak in the game know you really aren't a Jedi. It's a silly plot point that wasn't needed. Plain and simply dumb. It was a weak plot device, and that is one of the two things that really hurt the story for me.

Seriously, I like KOTOR2. I think it's a good game. the problem is muhc like Bl it has so many awful things that ruin a wonderous experience. To me, that's what makes KOTOR a better game than KOTOR2. While KOTOR1 is not overly spectacular; there's nothing in that game that makes me what to go "WTF, were they on crack?"

That is all.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I agree with Seven. I prefer to play games as they come, without having to tweak the options.
So when you get Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich you'll complain about the graphics because you don't want to tweak the game to its highest settings and play on a higher resolution. :roll:

What balance? War vet gives you 25 bonus HPs, that's all. I'm not asking where my force powahz are, I know that I've lost connection with the Force and all that. Did I forget how to aim a blaster too?
You were a Jedi during the war, not a blaster-toting grunt. Most likely you used your force powers and your lightsaber, as Jedis do, not blasters. Just because you were a War Veteran and a General doesn't mean you used a freaking blaster.

No, that was not a part of the story. The story is to find the 4 Jedi and to deal with the Sith Lords, not to take care of each and every planet.
That's where you're wrong. Quite a few characters (notably GO-TO) state that your mission is to save the Republic, not just to 'find the 4 jedi and deal with sith lords'. If you play the game as a Sith, you still have to save the Republic, because it's in your best interests to do so. Finding the Jedi and defeating the Sith Lords is a part of the greater plot, which is to stabilize the Republic, be it under Jedi or Sith dominion matters little.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
Volourn said:
While KOTOR1 is not overly spectacular; there's nothing in that game that makes me what to go "WTF, were they on crack?"

you mean other than the fact your character could be white as a ghost with veins popping out of his face and completely evil, yet the jedi council on dantooine still treats you like you're the saviour theyve been waiting for?

Eclecticist

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Are you on crack? They're written by the same person, so of course the style will be similar. But cheapened? Give me a fucking break. That's like saying you refuse to buy Terry Pratchett's new book because the similarity 'cheapens' his last book.

Yes, I am on crack. Now onto your request.

A lot of the great story elements and areas that I loved in Torment were echoed much more poorly in KotOR 2. This simply means that for me, Torment's story and characters are now no longer as original. And for what? For a shoddy reproduction with the Star Wars logo stamped on it.

Terry Pratchett aside (I never really got into him), I never said I refused to buy KotOR 2. You will now find your sentence in question completely irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of good things about KotOR 2, but this really shitted me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"you mean other than the fact your character could be white as a ghost with veins popping out of his face and completely evil, yet the jedi council on dantooine still treats you like you're the saviour theyve been waiting for?"

Eh. Yes, to get rid of Malak. Afterall, after that, they can just memory wipe you again. <> Actually, while not the best thing to do, it sure beats KOTOR2's plot holes, and they do mention how 'darkside' you are though and theya ren't pleased about it. Just listen to their reactions on how you handle the families, that jedi test, and the like. Also, remember, when you reach Dattoine, your character really hasn't gone to the deepest depths yet.

"If you play the game as a Sith, you still have to save the Republic, because it's in your best interests to do so."

Bullshit.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I wrote a review of the game in swedish. Having read some of the impressions here I believe I have to translate it and fend for the honor of KOTOR2, which I enjoyed very much. Story was a mess with a lot of holes, I agree. But I found KOTOR2 to be like Youthanasia by Megadeth or The Simpsons - the good parts are so freaking good it covers the bad shit.

aboyd

Liturgist
For what it's worth....

After seeing the Camarilla ending to Bloodlines, I thought I'd witnessed the worst ending in any modern game. KOTOR 2 beats that signifigantly, in a number of laughably fucking stupid ways.

For what it's worth, fans have apparently found an amazing batch of (many) good endings, buried in the KOTOR2 code. It appears that even the voicework (with translations) was completed and simply cut out. So maybe if you save the game, in a month you can get the fully restored ending as a mod.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=29764

I can't say for certain why the ending was destroyed -- if it was LucasArts moving up deadlines, how is it that nearly everything appears complete? I guess I buy the more combative option -- that Obsidian & LucasArts had creative differences, and somebody threw blood on the canvas to spoil the work of art.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
KOTOR2 is actually non-linear, because your actions throughout the game (or force position) can determine encounters in the game. If you have 25 light points in Dantooine, you'll meet Mira. If you have 25 dark points, you'll get Hanharr instead. A lot of the dialogue you pick at the beginning, such as your understanding of Revan, his gender, and so forth determine some of the encounters you'll have later in the game.

That's still linear, though. You still follow the linear plot of the game, it's just that certain elements are changed as you go. It's a nice feature, but it doesn't make the game non-linear.

Volourn said:
Hello, Mcfly? Some of those 'footsoldiers' you speka of are friggin' actual SITH LORDS with no name. R00fles! Point out the next SW movie where SITH LORDS are used as simple canon fodder. Even KOTOR1 didn't stoop that low.

Instead, KotOR1 actually gave them a name. I would assume those peons I wiped out on Korriban in KotOR that were teaching the academy would be Sith Lords, wouldn't you?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
That's still linear, though. You still follow the linear plot of the game, it's just that certain elements are changed as you go. It's a nice feature, but it doesn't make the game non-linear.
Fair enough. It's still a lot more than what most games offer, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom