Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Codex GOTY 2015 - Results

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I gotta say, particularly compared to lasts years award, there seems to be much less love put into this years GOTYs. No cool banner, no cool award banners, no write ups, no golden turd, no most anticipated, no editor's choice (no sticky). Makes them feel way less prestigious. A bit dissappointing to be honest.
people were making threads about codex GOTY so I promted felipepepe and he said "OK but hold your fucking horses", but then he kinda started making one on his own so I decided not to involve myself

these amateurs didn't even bother with a collage
12173.png

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I gotta say, particularly compared to lasts years award, there seems to be much less love put into this years GOTYs. No cool banner, no cool award banners, no write ups, no golden turd, no most anticipated, no editor's choice (no sticky). Makes them feel way less prestigious. A bit dissappointing to be honest.
2014 was the real year of the renaissance of cRPGs. It had to be celebrated.
Hopefully it will henceforth become a routine to get more cRPGs per year than what we have the time to play.
I consider that 2014 was better than 2015.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
people were making threads about codex GOTY so I promted felipepepe and he said "OK but hold your fucking horses", but then he kinda started making one on his own so I decided not to involve myself
Hey, I only calculated the results, exactly like last year. The staff that was responsible for all the other stuff last time, and I thought they were gonna do it this year too. Crooked Bee talked about doing the editor's choice again and Infinitron was even joking (or was he?) about whether should they pick PoE or Fallout 4...

I didn't even ran the poll this time - DU closed it the day he decided, sent me the data, I gave him the results and he just posted them a few days later. So don't blame me.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
CB has been gone for over a week now, so she might still be planning on posting something at some point.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Hey, I only calculated the results, exactly like last year. The staff that was responsible for all the other stuff last time, and I thought they were gonna do it this year too. Crooked Bee talked about doing the editor's choice again and Infinitron was even joking (or was he?) about whether should they pick PoE or Fallout 4...

I didn't even ran the poll this time - DU closed it the day he decided, sent me the data, I gave him the results and he just posted them a few days later. So don't blame me.
The staff wasn't responsible for the GOTY last year, I was ~~
Because I created the content thread last year. This year, you did ~~

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Strange. I thought I voted and yet I'm not on the spreadsheet.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Troll voting excluded AoD would have taken the win, congratulations to VD.:salute::salute::salute:

Presumably votes of "1" for Underrail are not trolls but accurate representations?

Here's my hypothesis, though: Story-fags excluded, AoD wouldn't have even made it to top 10.
Maybe AoD got so many votes because of being a pretend-game and because of being shit.

AoD also has a healthy amount of exploration.

Bubbles, always trolling like a boss.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Skills checks alone don't make a great game. If it wasn't true then Excel would be the perfect rpg.
:bro: This is fucking brilliant and should be stickied somewhere the rabid AoD fanboys can always see it.

Unrelated:

chaos-reborn-main.jpg

Chaos Reborn.

Screenshot looks kinda good and you really seemed to like it, so I thought I'd try it out. But then I read you writing this about PoE...
It's a great game. I voted 5 because that's what it deserves.
... and now I'll probably avoid it like I would a leper.

Someone should give Underrail a big banner and a crown and place it on the front page.
Pffff, we don't even have a review for it.
Though it would be mightily hilarious if now, after it got voted GOTY, Darth Roxor writes his review about how much he likes the game.
:troll:

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
felipepepe : Not that good at statistics anymore, but are you certain there isn't an error in your formula, maybe when there are zero's involved?
Reason I'm asking is The Red Solstice in Tacticool: It recieved votes from 1/5 to 3/5, NO ONE rated it 4 or 5/5. (0% Good, almost 50% Bad.)
Yet somehow it ends up above the next three games which are rated 40+% Good and 20-30% Bad.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Screenshot looks kinda good and you really seemed to like it, so I thought I'd try it out. But then I read you writing this about PoE...

well poe and chaos reborn have much in common

09zs8N.jpg

valcik

Arcane
Story-fags excluded, AoD wouldn't have even made it to top 10.
Nah, my most satisfying run was with mercenary working for Imperial Guards, the combat heavy one. Combatfags praising UR for its combat system are deluded, they just don't see the truth!

:troll:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe : Not that good at statistics anymore, but are you certain there isn't an error in your formula, maybe when there are zero's involved?
Reason I'm asking is The Red Solstice in Tacticool: It recieved votes from 1/5 to 3/5, NO ONE rated it 4 or 5/5. (0% Good, almost 50% Bad.)
Yet somehow it ends up above the next three games which are rated 40+% Good and 20-30% Bad.
The problem is that the tacticool category has a huge disparity between votes... the n of the bayesian average was 59 (the highest one), but Red Solstice only had 8 votes. That fucks things up.

Arguably I should remove from the final results all games beneath this n value - so half the list. But that kills less played games. Conquest of Elysium 4 only had 45 votes, but with 69% calling it a good/great game it was clearly the 2nd best rated game.

Another option is going back to a low n value, like last year. If n were 8 for the Tacticool category, this would be the results:
  1. Invisible, Inc. 3,82
  2. Conquest of Elysium 4 3,81
  3. Chaos Reborn 3,58
  4. Templar Battleforce 3,44
  5. Telepath Tactics 3,42
  6. Legends of Eisenwald 3,35
  7. Hard West 3,26
  8. Mordheim: City of the Damned 3,25
  9. Satellite Reign 3,18
  10. Renowned Explorers: International Society 3,18
  11. Chroma Squad 3,13
  12. The Red Solstice 2,99
  13. Armello 2,96
  14. Shadowrun Chronicles - Boston Lockdown 2,82
  15. Sorcerer King 2,81
  16. Breach & Clear: Deadline 2,69
  17. Warhammer Quest 2,50
  18. Blackguards 2 2,48
  19. Fallen: A2P Protocol 2,41
  20. Might & Magic Heroes VII 2,20
But then toro would post 5 pages of butthurt...

roshan

Arcane
Oh! RPG! has four votes, all of them "1"s, and its BA is 3,2.

If ICY had only been played by four people who all hated it, it would now have a better ranking than it got. In fact, it would beat Avernum 2 and AntharioN.

LOL. Retarded. It's been years and the Codex still can't figure out a simple, commonsensical way to determine the RPGOTY?

Niektory

one of some
Patron
The problem is that the tacticool category has a huge disparity between votes... the n of the bayesian average was 59 (the highest one), but Red Solstice only had 8 votes. That fucks things up.

Arguably I should remove from the final results all games beneath this n value - so half the list. But that kills less played games. Conquest of Elysium 4 only had 45 votes, but with 69% calling it a good/great game it was clearly the 2nd best rated game.

Another option is going back to a low n value, like last year. If n were 8 for the Tacticool category, this would be the results:

What was the full formula used? I don't think the n value is the main problem here. Rather the prior mean value is too high. It seems ~3.5 was used for some reason, so little voted games gravitate towards that number, making 3, being below that, already a negative rating. But if 3 is meant to be a neutral rating, which seems to be the case here, then it should be used as the prior mean I think.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
But then toro would post 5 pages of butthurt...
I fail to see how that's a negative.

This time there is no butthurt from me cause these results are as good as we gonna get.

Compare this with the last year results: 1300 votes in 2014 versus 742 in 2015. The difference is staggering: 57% less votes.

Which in theory could mean several things but in the end it means only one thing: last year vote was retarded (* thanks to the equally retarded DOS fanboys).

Well, this time the voting was closed and the calculation method was improved and ... *surprise* ... the results are quite decent. I feel pretty much vindicated about my butthurt.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Or that edginess of Codex has made it so there are less active users of Codex now than 1 year ago.

made

Arcane
I see you math nerds pulled some shit again to bereave Witcher 3 of its rightful #1 spot in every single category.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Another cut - the results without 1/5 votes (no no downvotting):
  1. Age of Decadence 4,28
  2. Underrail 4,21
  3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 4,17
  4. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Editon 3,88
  5. Invisible, Inc. 3,87
  6. Conquest of Elysium 4 3,81
  7. Voidspire Tactics 3,70
  8. Swords and Sorcery - Underworld - Definitive Edition 3,69
  9. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin 3,65
  10. Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky SC 3,63
Even so, PoE remains at #26. It's interesting, because what doomed it wasn't the 1 & 2 votes, was the overwhelming amount of 3s.

So I made some graphics to compare that:

HQFBv9Q.jpg

We also see that while haters hated Undertale a lot, it would never make it into the Top 10 anyway, because few people really enjoyed it. Hard West is interesting because a lot of people liked it, but very few found it GREAT!

And damn, Sword Coast Legends bombed...

The most enlightening graphic in the thread. So PoE was mediocre? Color me surprised.

How much of that exploration is locked behind skill checks, though? .
Since when is that a bad thing?

Mychkine

Educated
Thanks for all the hard work, as a statistics major I really like all this data and all the good work done on it !

By the way, which formula was used for the bayesian average?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom