Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Code Vein - new action RPG from God Eater devs at Bandai Namco

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Depths are not exactly the strong point of this game. But making an additional one was probably cheap as hell.

cruel

Cipher
There is nothing wrong with animations and gameplay in this game. Try different weapon maybe? Weebo - true.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm only 3 hours into it, but fuck me this game dull as dishwank so far. Far too easy, far too samey, and the level design is dog shit. It all feels so cheap and see-through.

Dunno if I can be arsed to continue tbh. Gonna walk the dog and see how I feel one I get back.

cruel

Cipher
Try playing solo of it's too easy with partner

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Visperas

Augur
If you find it far too easy, leave the companion behind. It will make it way more interesting and challenging.

deama

Prophet
I played it for about 2-3 hours a few months after it got released and pretty much stopped.

Falksi

Arcane
Played it for a few more hours, definitely better without a partner. Lord knows what they were thinking here, the partner does 90% of the work.

But even after ditching them the game's still boring. It's padded out in general, and the level layouts don't help either.

Ragged in with it now. The game I was playing before it was Granada X, which I'd rate as a simple, average game. But Granada X felt like injecting herion next to this game.

A true embodiment of modern decline. You've got to be way more into building characters more than using them to get anything remotely from this.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the only reason this game is popular is because of titties. sadly, The Surge 2, which is actually an excellent game kind of got overshadowed by this.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Eh, I had some fun with it. Is good for what it is. Granted, I enjoy character building very much.
Of course, the Surges were better.

Fatty

Augur
Ok Codex serious question - has anyone played this after a Soulsborne game and actually enjoyed it?

I got this thing on sale awhile ago because it’s commonly described as an easier Soulsborne sort of game. And frankly, some days I am not up to being roflstomped by Fromsoft. So I was looking for a more casual Soulsborne experience. What I got was an exercise in swinging giant foam weapons and an over reliance on corridor and narrow ledge battles. Almost the whole game is “ope I wonder what’s hiding right around this corner!” (Except you can totally see everything hiding around the corner before they can see you or you can target them)

Very few games do I consider genuinely bad. I am extraordinarily easily amused. This game seems to fucking suck. I am trying to think of a game that I found this bad and I cannot do it. I feel bad saying this because I am sure some people worked really hard on it. Does the game get better at some point? I just beat the Insatiable Despot and I cannot make myself continue. Is there a certain mindset I should be in to enjoy this?

Ok Codex serious question - has anyone played this after a Soulsborne game and actually enjoyed it?

I got this thing on sale awhile ago because it’s commonly described as an easier Soulsborne sort of game. And frankly, some days I am not up to being roflstomped by Fromsoft. So I was looking for a more casual Soulsborne experience. What I got was an exercise in swinging giant foam weapons and an over reliance on corridor and narrow ledge battles. Almost the whole game is “ope I wonder what’s hiding right around this corner!” (Except you can totally see everything hiding around the corner before they can see you or you can target them)

Very few games do I consider genuinely bad. I am extraordinarily easily amused. This game seems to fucking suck. I am trying to think of a game that I found this bad and I cannot do it. I feel bad saying this because I am sure some people worked really hard on it. Does the game get better at some point? I just beat the Insatiable Despot and I cannot make myself continue. Is there a certain mindset I should be in to enjoy this?
Are you playing with or without companions?

Fatty

Augur

Are you playing with or without companions?

Mostly with. Game seems designed around having one. Going without was more challenging, which isn’t really what I wanted, and none of the things I dislike about the game (foam weapons, majority corridor/ledge fighting) change when going solo.

It’s fine. I don’t think anyone is stupid for liking this game. It just really misses the mark with me to an extent I have not experienced before. Which leads me to believe that maybe I am missing something.

fork

It's better than Elden Ring or Dark Souls 3, since it has actual level design (in some places) and is not open world. You can also create an actual sexy female character! One of the few souls-likes worth playing. That being said, it's still kinda mediocre. The anime style is what drags it down the most.

Mostly with. Game seems designed around having one. Going without was more challenging, which isn’t really what I wanted, and none of the things I dislike about the game (foam weapons, majority corridor/ledge fighting) change when going solo.

It’s fine. I don’t think anyone is stupid for liking this game. It just really misses the mark with me to an extent I have not experienced before. Which leads me to believe that maybe I am missing something.
Code Vein was the game that got me into Soulsborne games, but I guess it's more of a ramp up for new players to get into the genre. At the time of the release of the original Dark Souls, I didn't have the patience for it. Also, Dark Souls would have benefitted immensely from the inclusion of a training mode so that you could practice parries, that's huge oversight.

The anime style is what drags it down the most.
It was sold as "anime Dark Souls" from the start, so you really only have yourself to blame for playing if you don't like anime and still played it.

Suicidal

Arcane

I have and I enjoyed it. It wasn't great but fun enough for one playthrough. What I liked most was the way character classes worked allowing you to mix and match different abilities and several hours in I was already using all 8 of my skill slots and I kept finding and using new abilities throughout the entire game, which made me enjoy the combat more than the standard Souls attack-roll-attack.

I also liked the level design - the fact that everything was a long, labyrinthine corridor made me think like I was playing an ARPG version of a classic dungeon crawler. Visually the levels were kind of ass, though.

Also, I played without a companion so some of the bosses were quite a challenge.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
This is one hell of a missed opportunity of a game. The combat mechanics are very good, if I had to compare to a souls, it would be Bloodborne rather than traditional soulsfare, particularly if you make a build around lighter weapon and having a quick dash, it's very reactive, handles well and it has one of the most interesting magic system in a game of the genre, the controls UI make using abilities sweet (while changing which spell you cast from a list in souls sucks). The bosses aren't very inspired/unique enough, but they're pretty decent souls clones.

This is where the good ends. The art style, even if you can stomach animu, can get really bad, it's not horrendous everywhere but the anor londo clone area for example feels really cheap, with basically one texture pasted all over the place and very little variation in architecture or unique details to rooms, it's needlessly big and confusing to navigate for all the wrong reasons. You can feel how cheaply made it was by the level of repetition of the underground areas you can teleport to for goodies too. I think the developers behind this game could have made something quite good, but lacked the financial backing to make something less undercooked. You can very much sense throughout the game that this must have been the thought behind the financing : "souls games are at a peak of popularity, we must push this game out quickly to ride the wave".
Levels just aren't fun to explore and lack the atmosphere and sense of discovery and that's a major minus in a game like this.
Enemies are also very repetitive. Needs a lot more variety in the roster.

Still, it's a mechanically sound game, much more so than many other souls clones of the market, and it understood the qualities of the fast paced soulslike combat from Bloodborne better than From themselves did when they made DS3 faster than other souls without delivering the right mechanics to the player. I legit want to see Code Vein's combat system in a better, more properly made game.

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS MORE STYLE THAN SUBSTANCE

I FINISHED IT BUT WAS GETTING BORED BEFORE THE ENDING

t5UYcEh.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom