Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cloud Castles - blockchain action-strategy game from Jon Van Caneghem

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
JVC, author of the Might and Magic RPG series, as well as King's Bounty and the Heroes of Might and Magic spinoffs that ensued, has apparently left Tenet and switched his Linkedin status to a cryptic "Stealth startup Mode", which specifies "Full Time".

Is he about to make my Swords and Sorcery series completely and utterly irrelevant?
Is it my fault thanks to me? (I connected with him on LI 6 months ago so I deserve all the credit if things go well)

Speculate! discuss!

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Maybe he's teaming up with the Fanstratics guy to deliver us even more boring reminiscing about making an actually good game 25 years ago.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
I remember what happened the last time JVC was in "stealth startup mode": https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...roduces-creature-quest-for-ios-android.92597/
I remember that. I don't see him leaving Tenet to do that again though. Unless he didn't leave and got laid off...

How is Sovereign coming along?
I'm finishing Iron Ruler and addressing the compatibility issue with NVIDIA that has been crippling Underworld reviews. Then it could actually be pretty quick...

Aemar

Arcane
JVC's lack of proper involvement with the PC game dev industry following NWC's demise is probably one of the biggest dissapointments ever. He's been off the radar for two decades now. Whatever the fuck he's been doing working for EA and other companies since 2003 is meaningless. Apparently he's doing iOS and Android games these days.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I like how any excitement I had over this knowledge just completely disappeared the second I saw "original blockchain games". I'm starting to wonder if there's a pattern to all these old game creators turning into blockchain fanatics.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
At the very least, we know he's not gonna make your game irrelevant Charles-cgr ;)

Anyway I suspect a large part of why these industry greats have no desire to do what they had before is that they know it might not bring them money, and they'd be competing in a very saturated gaming industry, which means there's the potential for the game to go completely unnoticed. I don't blame them for it if so, and I think it's better this way too. Just look at Underworld Ascendant and how it has tarnished the LGS and Ultima legacies.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
At the very least, we know he's not gonna make your game irrelevant Charles-cgr ;)

Anyway I suspect a large part of why these industry greats have no desire to do what they had before is that they know it might not bring them money, and they'd be competing in a very saturated gaming industry, which means there's the potential for the game to go completely unnoticed. I don't blame them for it if so, and I think it's better this way too. Just look at Underworld Ascendant and how it has tarnished the LGS and Ultima legacies.
As opposed to the saturated mobile game industry? Or whatever con you want to call this NFT gaming industry which has more quote unquote developers than actual customers. It's all just buzzwords and (stolen) logos, but no actual product.

Maybe he's teaming up with the Fanstratics guy to deliver us even more boring reminiscing about making an actually good game 25 years ago.
Lol yeah exactly. It does take a certain kind of talent to make something so just completely unoriginal and boring as that, without just straight up copying.

'Oh, so I made mario brothers 40 years ago, and people liked it, so I've decided to get back into video game making. My new game is called "RuJumColCoiSquiGoomb" because you run, jump, collect coins, and squish goombas. But now they're called "Paggysquiggs" and the main character is named "Steve Marington" because apparently the dude who came up with the names didn't come with me to my new company, and I'm breathtakingly uncreative.'

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
When I saw it the first thing I thought was "is this some NFT bullshit?" and lo behold:

NFT garbage.JPG

Aemar

Arcane
JVC in 2003:

''Time for me to create shit tier games that absolutely no one will give a shit about. I'll need to do this for at least 20 years from now on''.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
afaik Discounting the mobile game, he hasn't developed much of anything in the last twenty years; unless you count Tiberian Twilight and the cancelled C&C

tritosine2k

Erudite
afaik Discounting the mobile game, he hasn't developed much of anything in the last twenty years; unless you count Tiberian Twilight and the cancelled C&C
Then went from low-poly, horribly animated (if you call it even that) 3D to UE5. And it will work out well, riiiight.

last time i checked JVC was heavily into mobile games
Sounds rather reasonable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom