Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Clockwork Revolution - inXile's steampunk time travel first-person action-RPG led by Chad Moore and Jason Anderson

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
whoa its heckin wholesome jason anderson fat hasbeen who has never made a good game

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Does anyone really vibe with this Victorian steampunk/clockworkpunk garbage? Looks like some sort of elitist fad to me.

Fuck this late-stage-empire degeneracy, I don't wanna new and original and "exciting" anymore, not in the currentyear, I want my straight, honest, boring medieval RPGs back.
it's an anglo obsession we superior peoples shouldn't needlessly partake it

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've always hated steampunk, always seemed like a talentless hack's idea of "new and original".

It'd explain why talentless hacks are drawn to it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Does anyone really vibe with this Victorian steampunk/clockworkpunk garbage? Looks like some sort of elitist fad to me.

Fuck this late-stage-empire degeneracy, I don't wanna new and original and "exciting" anymore, not in the currentyear, I want my straight, honest, boring medieval RPGs back.
Well, there's Avowed for you :)

And have you completed Kingdom Come: Deliverance already? Doesn't get more medieval than this one.

Diggfinger

Arcane
More like:
"Remember Arcanum? That game you never actually played, because you never play anything older than three years and don't support pads? This all steampunk is soo cool! LOL! Let's meme together!"
I imagine the number of people who had played Wasteland in 1997 was rather small as well. I had not (though despite being a pc gamer, I had also never even heard of or played Fallout until 2006 when I looked up some sci fi/cyberpunk RPGs to play).

:shunthenonbeliever:

Kem0sabe

Arcane

I enjoyed Arcanum not for the aesthetic but for the novel world building it brought to RPGs back then, as the setting was new and fresh.

This doesn't seem like a straight up magic/industry mashup like Arcanum, but more of a grift of BioShock infinites aesthetic themes. Arcanum and BioShock have very little in common between steam engines.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As long as Fargo based the villain on me they might have a winner here
Clockwork-Revolution.jpg

Erm..?

La vie sexuelle

Learned

agris

Arcane
Patron
I remember:

Wasteland 2
Torment: Tides of Bungabunga
Bard's Tale IV

I remember....

and they aren't getting my $$$ again

I remember:

Wasteland 2
Bard's Tale IV

I remember....

wasteland 3 wasn't that much better than 2. but yeah nothing about seeing "inxile presents" or whatever made me want to play this steampunk dogshit

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I remember:

Wasteland 2
Bard's Tale IV

I remember....

brofisting intensifies

BTIV was the most painful for me. It wasn't that hard to get an oldschool dungeon crawler right. I was ok with the first departures from the series (which I hadn't played) were announced, like humans being most of the races, no hordes of enemies to fight, animated portraits etc. but they fucked it up royally. Between Obsidian and InXile, it's hard to say which disappointed me more, but at least Obsidian has a backlog of good games. InXile literally have nothing to show for.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
2023 and people still ignore the 2020 game of the year (after fully patched).
17611.jpg

It's in decent company.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer

People have pitched me steampunk + arc deco stuff for 15 years. Never thought much of it.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
I've always hated steampunk, always seemed like a talentless hack's idea of "new and original".

Steampunk is a form of cultural mimicry. Its cogs and bolts are the headjacks and rainy nights of cyberpunk, but without any relevant foundational theme behind it. Where cyberpunk has something to say about the relationship between technology and social dynamics, steampunk can only say "this looks neat, right?".

If you hate steampunk, it's because you intuitively understand it's a skinwalker concept.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom