Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Clockwork Empires wants to bring failure into our houses

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Clockwork Empires; Gaslamp Games

Gaslamp Games who brought us the rather excellent Dungeons of Dredmor are working dilligently on what they themselves call a "3d, isometric steampunk sandbox city-builder" called Clockwork Empires. And yeah, so far we totally missed it. Boo. So here, have an old preview and go check out the Gaslamp Games blogs on this thing. Why?
Take SimCity and stuff it with steampunk. Take Dwarf Fortress and make it modern. Take Anno and dump H.P. Lovecraft into its oceans.

Consider yourself mildly acquainted with Clockwork Empires, the next project of Gaslamp Games. The indies behind of Dungeons of Dredmor are creating a 3D, sandboxy city-builder teeming with 19th century imperialism. It’ll be populated by street urchins, aristocrats, volcanoes, sea serpents, war zeppelins, mad scientists, and at least one foodstuff that doubles as a building material. It’ll be irreverent, and PC-exclusive. It’ll have multiplayer. It’ll be moddable. Most of all, I think it has a chance to set a new standard for player-driven story generation in the genre.

That's why. And because they name Boatmurdered as a mayor influence. I like that.

kentable

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I remember reading their blog on it last year but considered it at least 2 years away. Cautiously optimistic about it so far.

Luzur

Good Sir
Tags: Clockwork Empires; Gaslamp Games

Gaslamp Games who brought us the rather excellent Dungeons of Dredmor are working dilligently on what they themselves call a "3d, isometric steampunk sandbox city-builder" called Clockwork Empires. And yeah, so far we totally missed it. Boo. So here, have an old preview and go check out the Gaslamp Games blogs on this thing. Why?
Take SimCity and stuff it with steampunk. Take Dwarf Fortress and make it modern. Take Anno and dump H.P. Lovecraft into its oceans.

Consider yourself mildly acquainted with Clockwork Empires, the next project of Gaslamp Games. The indies behind of Dungeons of Dredmor are creating a 3D, sandboxy city-builder teeming with 19th century imperialism. It’ll be populated by street urchins, aristocrats, volcanoes, sea serpents, war zeppelins, mad scientists, and at least one foodstuff that doubles as a building material. It’ll be irreverent, and PC-exclusive. It’ll have multiplayer. It’ll be moddable. Most of all, I think it has a chance to set a new standard for player-driven story generation in the genre.

That's why. And because they name Boatmurdered as a mayor influence. I like that.

didnt Boatmurdered comic grind to a halt some 2 years ago?

oscar

Arcane
I hope the feel isn't light-hearted and zany. Most steampunk rubs me the wrong for that exact reason ("COGS and DICKENSIAN CARICATURES every fifteen feet!!").

But I'm always down for transplanted Dwarf Fortress gameplay (sadly I can't into ASCII graphics). Hopefully this ends up better than that gnome one.

Hellraiser

Arcane
How is this game coming along?

My current verdict is possible incline and not vaporware. For one they're actually trying to simulate colonists similar to how DF handled dwarves but with a few twists, like colonists are stratified into lower, middle and upper class. Colonists can also turn into cultists worshiping the elder gods or into communists. Also they're using real world geology like DF so you have proper ores like tetrahedrite and hematite. Dev blogs are the best source of info on this, updates are regular and they seem to have a pretty good grasp of what made Dwarf Fortress great.

It seems they have the colonist simulation part mostly complete now, they're working now on implementing more workshops and jobs, improving the terrain generation system and adding new biomes in addition to polishing what already has been done and doing art assets. Not sure if they plan on having multiple Z-level mining but judging by the current news that is not in the game, that's the only flaw so far but then again steampunk humans aren't exactly a subterranean species so I can live without having that.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The premise is really excellent. I hope they can pull it off.

Any release date in sight?

When it is done(tm), probably somewhere in the second half of next year. They have a lot of the systems up and running, but even those that are at a pretty advanced stage judging by the dev blogs (terrain generation, colonist simulation, procedural buildings) still need work and most importantly content to make use of the frameworks they have implemented.

curry

Arcane
http://penny-arcade.com/report/arti...k-empires-and-creating-a-canvas-for-youtubers

, success is measured by the enormity of your failure. This isn't a game about triumphing over the odds and charting a path through rough waters. It's a game about climbing as high up a mountain as you can before leaping off the summit as majestically as you possibly can.

It's a city builder and management sim where you begin as the leader of a band of settlers colonizing the new world, and attempt to guide them through their infancy as a small settlement into a thriving colony.

Disaster is inevitable though, and a big part of the experience is about seeing the unique ways in which your colony eventually, inevitably falls apart.

ce2.jpg

Sim Typhoon
“The whole thought process is that if you take SimCity, half the fun is watching it go up in flames when you hit the typhoon button, because that's the only time when anything actually happens,” said Nicholas Vining, lead programmer of Clockwork Empires developer Gaslamp Games. “So at some point in the course of normal events, which may include abnormal events, you'll end up destroying your colony by things going out of control. And because you work for the government, you'll get a promotion.”

“If all your colonists just die immediately after landing… you're not really destined for success in the government,” he continued. “On the other hand, if you took your colony, built it to a thriving community of 250 citizens, built a death machine that exploded releasing Elder Horrors From Beyond The Stars killing lots of people and then your citizens went insane and started killing each other… THAT is going to be suitable for a career in government.”

It's set in a sort of comical Elizabethan steampunkish world of gears and steam, but as we talked it became clear that the game is more about telling stories than it is about steampunk imagery or even Elder Horrors From Beyond The Stars. These aren't stories in the traditional narrative sense though.

Conclusion/Punchline
Clockwork Empires is a game that, at its core, is a canvas for players to tell their own unique stories. In that sense, the game's tight focus on failure seems to be about ensuring every story has a satisfying, climactic conclusion.

“People really like to tell stories,” said Vining. “And our hope from this is that you play Clockwork Empires, and you'll come out and you'll say, 'I had this colony, and everything went right until I built this thing out of these glowing rocks and then we were invaded by fish-people and everyone started chopping each others heads off with nearby meat mutilation implements' and then you'll want to tell that story to your friends. This is gaming for the YouTube world.”

For Gaslamp, the impetus to create a game like this seems to have been born out of a sort of frustration with modern linear games, and their own inability to create them which they readily admit.

“If you play 'Call of Battlefield: Modern Duty' there's exactly one story,” said Vining. “Your dog gets shot and you go through Afghanistan. Everybody has the same experience. Everybody has the same thing happen to them. We wanted to build something that's a bit more of a platform for storytelling.”

ce.jpg

Linearity is only one path
“That linear model was really cool before the age of the internet and YouTube,” said Dan Jacobsen, CEO of Gaslamp Games. “When you'd sit around with your friends at lunch time and compare notes about the story, because those [individual] stories were just so hard to reach. But as soon as one person plays one of these games in the modern world, everybody knows how it's going to end because everybody has access to these things now and it ends up on YouTube within 24 hours. We want to surprise people in a way that makes them want to tell stories over and over and over again.”

They were quick to clarify though that those comments don't encapsulate all games.

“There are some indie titles these days that have very beautiful linear storylines,” said Jacobsen, giving Gone Home as an example. “There are very specific storylines where games are the perfect medium to tell that story. There are games where interacting with the world is the way to tell that story. But I think that the full breadth of ways you can tell stories with video games is so much broader than that one avenue. The computers that we use these days, and the other platforms, are becoming powerful enough that that sort of algorithm-based storyline is possible.”

Alogrithms are at the heart of both of Gaslamp Games' titles, Dungeons of Dredmor (a roguelike) and Clockwork Empires, and it seems to be a guiding philosophy of the studio.

“Either we can tell you one story, or you can tell you a thousand stories,” said Jacobsen. “We have to start thinking of games as tools to let you do that.”

Gaslamp Games doesn't imagine themselves as visionaries with an all-new idea though. They list games like Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, and Terraria among their forebears. But it's fascinating to watch the ongoing effect that YouTube is having on the gaming industry, and how developers are changing to not only adapt to the rapid spread of information but also embrace it with a game like Clockwork Empires.
[/URL]

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They made a decent amount off of Dredmor and they're a fairly modest operation with a small office and handful of employees. It'll take a bit to get it out but I doubt it'll be vaporware.

Hellraiser

Arcane
They made a decent amount off of Dredmor and they're a fairly modest operation with a small office and handful of employees. It'll take a bit to get it out but I doubt it'll be vaporware.

I'll add that the most important thing is they keep doing regular progress updates via their dev blogs, so you roughly know what they did so far and what they're working on. Usually with vaporware you don't get to hear what the devs are doing but that they're "working" on it, with little new screenshots or information surfacing over months if not years after the first footage was shown.

AzraelDR

Novice
http://www.gaslampgames.com/2014/02/19/modules-and-decoration/

Just saw that this thread hasn't been updated in a while, and wanted to chime in. I really like Dwarf Fortress, and among the dozens of clones claiming to capture DF, this is the most promising. It also helps that it went for a steampunk/Lovecraftian theme, which I really like. The latest weblog above is interesting, although I am concerned about the whole decorations thing. I like that happiness is tied to decorations (so that they aren't purely aesthetic), but I hope it doesn't become too much like the Sims. I do like that they like long and complex logistical chains, which is the lifeblood of any city-building sim. The fact that Gaslamp Games made Dungeons of Dredmore is another source of optimism for me, as they are not some Kickstarter funded game company that can become too complacent once they have the project funded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom