Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Clash of the Titans! -- Half-Life 2 vs Mass Effect 2

I fap harder to:

• Half-Life 2 (Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mass Effect 2 (but the PRIZE!)

• What the fuck, Racofer!!?

• Total voters

racofer

Thread Incliner
In your opinion, which game is the best and why?

Half-Life 2 - the PC game,

or

Mass Effect 2 - the Console port game?

Tough call guys! Both have unskippable cutscenes shoved down your throat. Both are a sequel. Both have you playing the center whole against the evil aliens from outer space. But HL2 runs on the superior source engine while ME2 is powered by that bloom ridden, plastic wrapped Unreal engine with physics below Source's majesticness. Both games are as linear as it gets.

Choose!!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
did ME2 lend its engine to a glorious, if bug-ridden FPS with rpg elements featuring vampire strippers?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
ME2. Now, if it was Full Life then maybe it have a shot.

PLus, that AZZ!

Peter

Arcane
What the fuck, Racofer!!?

Obviously Half-Life 2 is better!

chzr

Erudite
if i absolutely had to play one of them it would be me2

if not, i'd choose hl2 since unlike playing the game, watching its speedrun is actually fun.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Half Life 2. Its way too short, easy and linear but the same can be said about ME2. At least HL2 gave us the wonderful engine to play with.

Achilles

Arcane
If Mass Effect 2 comes out on top, I will seriously consider leaving the Codex forever. Yes, I know that may be a strong motivation for some people, but I really can't believe that the Codex Elite will vote an "RPG" console port over a proper PC game. It's just unfathomable!

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I never played Half Life 2 but it provided Source engine which is great so I voted What the fuck, Racofer!!?.

grdja

Augur
ME2 is a run of the mill console cover based 3rd person shooter (ok with some dialogue and butsecks). HL2 all the way.

Still... HL >>>>>>> HL2.

baronjohn

Cipher
Alexandros said:
If Mass Effect 2 comes out on top, I will seriously consider leaving the Codex forever. Yes, I know that may be a strong motivation for some people, but I really can't believe that the Codex Elite will vote an "RPG" console port over a proper PC game. It's just unfathomable!
Platform(s)
Windows
Xbox
Xbox 360
PlayStation 3

What's PC about HL2 again?

Achilles

Arcane
It had puzzles and the female love interest was fully clothed and had small boobs.

racofer

Thread Incliner
It was, originally, PC only. It was developed and existed exclusively for the PC for years. Only later it was ported to consoles, which were not very pleased with the porting (oh the irony), and it sort of bombed around those parts because it lacked any sort of consolitis on it.

So yea, HL2 is a PC game.

Project: Eternity
I didn't find either of the Half-Lifes to be that fun to play, frankly. Yes, they had great production value etc. but the actual gameplay was sort of off, to me. Weapons in particular just feel weak somehow.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Freelance Henchman said:
I didn't find either of the Half-Lifes to be that fun to play, frankly. Yes, they had great production value etc. but the actual gameplay was sort of off, to me. Weapons in particular just feel weak somehow.

The good thing, FH, is that you can mod in better weaponry into HL2 is they really piss you off. On ME2 you have to acquire DLCs to get new weapons.

Half-Life 2 has better storytelling, better action and more atmosphere. It isn't really in the same league as the truly best FPS games, but then again, neither is ME2, and that one is neither in my top 10 RPG's ever.

What's the point of this anyway, ME2 would be better compared to VTM:B. Both are ARPG's, both have sort of awkward gameplay and are heavily conversation-focused, I.E. listening to people talk. In that case you have some pro's and con's to both, like ME2 is much more polished, has a pretty nice soundtrack and perhaps better gunplay, whereas VTM:B is more atmospheric, more varied in it's gameplay and has superlative voice acting and memorable characters. For whatever reason I enjoyed VTM:B better. Perhaps it's because it doesn't have fucking minigames.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom