Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Endemic

Arcane
you can just torrent those, it's not morally wrong if you steal from a DLC scammer

You can use cracked versions of those seperately? :?

The Old Gods, Sons of Abraham and Legacy of Rome are safe bets.

Old Gods seems like the most interesting addition.

No, not for the moment at least. Start with any catholic character and enjoy, replay as many times as you want with the available catholics, but if you will want some change and play someone different, then you'll have to buy appropriate DLC. Core content of the vanilla (that is, catholics) is fully included, patched and done, none of the expansions will extend it.

Watching some LPs, there's a lot more to the game than the UI suggests at first.

Bradylama

Arcane
Sword of Islam is non-essential, but they've changed the way Decadence works in Patch 2.1.1 to make it much more manageable. Attempting to found a Shia Caliphate is pretty damn challenging.

Turrul

Augur
Really disappointing announcement so far; the game needs more depth not another start date map permutation.

I agree, There are tons of things they could have improved/added like cadet branches or steppe improvement but instead they go with this.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Hey CK II experts, question for you:

Is it feasible to have king vassals? I got 44 direct vassals as of right now and while keeping them all happy isn't too much of a problem, I am getting kind of tired of worrying about them but I also don't want to worry about kings getting ticked off and revolting and holding too many votes as I reaaaallly like selecting my heir :D

What do?

XenomorphII

Prophet
King vassals only have one vote in elective succession. I don't like using them, I prefer diluted power amongst dukes (makes it nigh impossible for them to ever build up enough strength to actually threaten me, and it makes it way easier to deal with troublesome vassals).

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
King vassals only have one vote in elective succession. I don't like using them, I prefer diluted power amongst dukes (makes it nigh impossible for them to ever build up enough strength to actually threaten me, and it makes it way easier to deal with troublesome vassals).

Yeah but dukes can band together with other dukes in factions so even if all I have is dukes I still have to worry about them getting together against me :/

Brinko

Arcane
I have 8 kings right now in my game as India and it's not that big of a problem.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I have three king vassals and can create two or three more. I find it very useful when going to war or dealing with rebellion, as I can teleport the vassal king's levy from one end of the kingdom to the other, rather than waiting weeks to merge my forces.

True, it would be annoying to have a vassal king rebel or join a faction, but there's so many was of dissuading them: gifts, sending your chancellor to improve relations, honorary titles, pressing a claim, waiting until the next rebellion and getting defending vs foreign enemies opinion bonus. Plus, by now, all my emperors have 20+ diplomacy and at least one or two other opinion boosters such as "liege is just", "liege is kind", "liege is gregarious".

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
gamble it all imo.
give it all to your elective chosen son.
duke, kingdom, everything.
watch it blow up in ur face eventually, but the infinite conquest is sure is amazing when a your genius son gets every. single. thing you conquered.

Turrul

Augur
Hey CK II experts, question for you:

Is it feasible to have king vassals? I got 44 direct vassals as of right now and while keeping them all happy isn't too much of a problem, I am getting kind of tired of worrying about them but I also don't want to worry about kings getting ticked off and revolting and holding too many votes as I reaaaallly like selecting my heir :D

What do?

-25 opinion hit is kinda big, but not impossible to mitigate. If you educate your heir good, that imba elective succession is not a problem, even with king vassals.

The nice thing about king vassals is that they deal with peasant rebellions themselves if they have enough levies and you don't have to march all those duke levies to a single province to merge them.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Does anyone know if the immortal console command still works? I want to create an immortal Viking vampire lord but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's been patched out at some point.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Too bad the historical setting of the game doesn't allow you to place women in council positions other than Spymaster and Priestess if you are pagan. I tend to get women in my court with some really great stats but the only thing I can do with them is use them as educators for my future heirs. I do understand that having women in power would possibly break the game somehow but it just hurts seeing a woman with some bad ass stats and I can't really do anything with her.

Also, I have started a new playthrough with Poland in 867 and I have two questions:

Do I absolutely have to convert to Catholicism?

Is a reformed pagan playthrough possible?

Still working on getting that last holy site and trying to reform the pagan church so I can finally get rid of the plague known as gavelkind succession. God, that is the worst succession method EVER as all of a sudden you start having more sons than you would under elective succession law.

Tytus

Arcane
Too bad the historical setting of the game doesn't allow you to place women in council positions other than Spymaster and Priestess if you are pagan. I tend to get women in my court with some really great stats but the only thing I can do with them is use them as educators for my future heirs. I do understand that having women in power would possibly break the game somehow but it just hurts seeing a woman with some bad ass stats and I can't really do anything with her.

Also, I have started a new playthrough with Poland in 867 and I have two questions:

Still working on getting that last holy site and trying to reform the pagan church so I can finally get rid of the plague known as gavelkind succession. God, that is the worst succession method EVER as all of a sudden you start having more sons than you would under elective succession law.

Women should be able to serve as regents at least in some cultures. For example historically when Ogedai Khan died from overdrinking and the Mongol invasion of Europe was halted so they could choose a new khan. Ogedai's wife reigned the Mongol Empire as the regent for two years if I remember correctly.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron

Women should be able to serve as regents at least in some cultures. For example historically when Ogedai Khan died from overdrinking and the Mongol invasion of Europe was halted so they could choose a new khan. Ogedai's wife reigned the Mongol Empire as the regent for two years if I remember correctly.

Yeah I had female regents such as when my ruler went off on a pilgrimage (highly recommend always going on a pilgrimage ASAP as it offers a lot of boosts!) but regents are damn near useless to me as you can't really control who becomes regent and the position is, by nature, temporary.

Turrul

Augur
Too bad the historical setting of the game doesn't allow you to place women in council positions other than Spymaster and Priestess if you are pagan. I tend to get women in my court with some really great stats but the only thing I can do with them is use them as educators for my future heirs.

You can convert to Cathar, it enables gender-equal succession laws and strong wymyn on battlefield and council.

No, you don't have to. Slavic defense and attrition bonus will keep Karlings off your ass for a pretty long time and Piast start is one of the easier starts to reform the Slavic religion anyway. Just try not to mess with Karlings, you can try to secure an alliance with Tengri Hungary too, they sometimes send their doomstacks to help.

Btw I remember that they said they'll flesh out Regency mechanics in the next DLC. Hope they'll put some real mechanics instead of some "events".

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
seeing a woman with some bad ass stats and I can't really do anything with her.
I can think of something :smug:

You can have you heir be tutored by a Basque character, so you can change to Absolute Cognatic succession down the road. If you have elective monarchy, you don't even need Absolute Cognatic, since you can nominate female characters as well (I'd advise they marry enter a matrilineal marriage in this case).

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Just think as if being a woman was in itself one huge shit stat that drags down everything else.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I've still got to figure out something that makes it a lot easier for other pagan religions sans West African to Reform after one pagan religion Reforms.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom