Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Order of importance:

The Old Gods -> Sword of Islam -> The Republic -> Sons of Abraham -> Legacy of Rome -> Rajas of India. Portrait DLCs are used in some mods, and the Norse/Turkish portrait DLCs are actually p. nice. Music DLC and Unit graphics DLC is just if you're into that sort of thing.

EDIT: Oh yea, and Ruler Designer and Customization DLCs are nifty if you actually use them regularly. Sunset Invasion is for doomstack invasion fetishists.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Someone refresh my memory: did CK2 always require to change kingdoms' succession laws individually after changing an empire's succession law?

I had elective succession until I had six kingdom titles but I had to destroy two of them because my elector dukes kept voting for another candidate (my relationship was maximized with all the electors; it was due to the fact that my designated heir had a different culture probably). I thought creating an empire and switching to primogeniture would switch all my kingdom's succession laws, but no such luck. I may be misremembering and conflating it with the taxation and levy laws.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yes. That's why immediately after going Empire you nuke ALL the kingdom titles beneath you before your first Emperor dies.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I created the empire and waited ten years to declare primogeniture, then converted two kingdoms. I had to wait for a awhile before switching the other kingdom's succession laws since I couldn't do it because some vassals now had negative opinion.

I had to deal with three independence rebellions, but they ended up helping me due to being able to remove titles from the defeated dukes, cummulative +25 crushed major rebellion opinion bonus, and gaining prestige.

It was a gamble on my part, since I'm playing ironman, but I accumulated lots of gold for mercs as an emergency measure. Also, my elective heir was the same one as my primogeniture heir, so I wasn't worried if the first emperor died (he was pretty young when he became emperor, so I figured I could wait and change all succession laws).

Regarding the independence rebellions, the rebels sometimes get large numbers of free troops. Is there any rhyme or reason to this event?

Checking the event.
Code:
		hidden_tooltip = {
			if = {
				limit = {
					FROM = { faction_power = { faction = faction_claimant power = 1.0 } }
				}
				random = {
					chance = 25
					character_event = { id = 45002 days = 120 } # Loyalists flock to the liege's banner
				}
			}
		}
		FROM = {
			letter_event = { id = 8111 days = 3 tooltip = "EVTTOOLTIP8100" }
			tooltip = {
				any_faction_backer = {
					faction = faction_claimant
				}
			}
			hidden_tooltip = {
				if = {
					limit = {
						NOT = { faction_power = { faction = faction_claimant power = 0.75 } }
					}
					random_list = {
						50 = {
						}
						30 = {
							character_event = { id = 45000 days = 17 } # A great number of rebels flock to the revolter's banner
						}
						20 = {
							character_event = { id = 45004 days = 17 } # Rebels flock to the revolter's banner
						}
					}
				}
				if = {
					limit = {
						faction_power = { faction = faction_claimant power = 0.75 }
						NOT = { faction_power = { faction = faction_claimant power = 1.5 } }
					}
					random_list = {
						75 = {
						}
						5 = {
							character_event = { id = 45000 days = 17 } # A great number of rebels flock to the revolter's banner
						}
						20 = {
							character_event = { id = 45004 days = 17 } # Rebels flock to the revolter's banner
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}

As best I can tell, it means that if faction power > 100%, 25% chance of rebels 120 days later. if <75% 30% of a bigger rebels and 20% chance of rebels 17 days later. If between 75% and 150%, 5% chance of bigger rebels and 20% chance of rebels 17 days later. Looks like all three of them stack. I don't get what Paradox was thinking. Shit makes no sense, you get the least rebels between 75%-100%, the 2nd least rebels at >150%, the 2nd most rebels at 100%-150%, and the most rebels at <75%. lolwut. I think I'm reading this right.

Vaarna_Aarne

I created the empire and waited ten years to declare primogeniture, then converted two kingdoms. I had to wait for a awhile before switching the other kingdom's succession laws since I couldn't do it because some vassals now had negative opinion.
Just nuke the kingdom titles, the benefit they provide to dynasty prestige is not worth the -25 opinion they'll give.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Alright, I guess I'll get rid of the kingdom titles. I'll keep primogeniture for now, since I'm concerned about keeping all the dukes happy. In a way managing multiple elective kingdoms was easier since for each title there were only two or three electors and my vote was the tie-breaker.

Average Manatee, thanks for looking up the event logic. If the faction power > 100%, then there is a 25% probability that the liege will get reinforcements 120 days later. Then there are two cases for the rebels:
1. faction power < 75% means 30% of bigger rebels and 20% chance of rebels 17 days later.
2. faction power between 75% and 150% means 5% chance of bigger rebels and 20% chance of rebels 17 days later. If faction power >100%, this event can stack up with the liege loyalist reinforcement, so both sides get free armies.
I'm not sure if 75% counts as 1 or 2.

So the rebels are more likely to get help when they're weak, <75%, and the liege can get help when the rebels have >100%.

Vaarna_Aarne

Actually Elective is generally easier to manage than Primogeniture because of the hefty bonus to relations for non-Dynastic dukes, and even the -5 penalty to Dynastic dukes is easy to get around. Moreover, you have superior control over inheritance, while with Primogeniture you're stuck with having to either stick with haphazard heirs or engage in small-scale genocide in your immediate family.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Alright, looks like some reforms are in order:
1. destroy kingdoms titles
2. revert to elective succession
3. increase crown authority from high to absolute
4. decrease levy laws to compensate for absolute authority (if necessary)

Regarding tanistry, I'll try that on my next playthrough, since I wanted to try Scotland anyway.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Having royal vassals can be nice since it reduces micromanagement and is especially useful when raising levies, but makes it more annoying when dealing with civil wars.

When I played as Hispania/ERE, I had the France and Georgia as vassal kingdoms and after three independence wars I had enough, so I removed took/destroyed (I forgot which) the titles.

Alright, I guess I'll get rid of the kingdom titles. I'll keep primogeniture for now, since I'm concerned about keeping all the dukes happy. In a way managing multiple elective kingdoms was easier since for each title there were only two or three electors and my vote was the tie-breaker.

Average Manatee, thanks for looking up the event logic. If the faction power > 100%, then there is a 25% probability that the liege will get reinforcements 120 days later. Then there are two cases for the rebels:
1. faction power < 75% means 30% of bigger rebels and 20% chance of rebels 17 days later.
2. faction power between 75% and 150% means 5% chance of bigger rebels and 20% chance of rebels 17 days later. If faction power >100%, this event can stack up with the liege loyalist reinforcement, so both sides get free armies.
I'm not sure if 75% counts as 1 or 2.

So the rebels are more likely to get help when they're weak, <75%, and the liege can get help when the rebels have >100%.

Ahh, right. Didn't notice that the first one was for the liege, not the revolters.

Never actually seen a liege get help.

Brinko

Arcane
Any details as to what it's going to entail? Because RoI was $15 and barely added fuck all except a subcontinent I don't think anyone was clamoring for.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Ok so I am slooooowly getting the hang of the vanilla version of CKII and man, vassals are a thorn in my side. Playing as the Kingdom of Poland and while I am managing my kingdom somewhat, I am having to constantly putz around with demanding vassals and if I don't I'll get a war and then someone will press a claim on me while i am busy with my civil war.

How in the heck do I strip vassals of their power so that I can continue trying to replace every kingdom's bloodline with my own??

Also, why can't I banish people that have either rebelled or have been part of a plot without incurring tyranny? I figure if I banish them, it's better than executing them as they get to live but nope, it incurs tyranny so I end up just letting people rot in there because I can't figure out what to do with them.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
How in the heck do I strip vassals of their power so that I can continue trying to replace every kingdom's bloodline with my own??

Also, why can't I banish people that have either rebelled or have been part of a plot without incurring tyranny? I figure if I banish them, it's better than executing them as they get to live but nope, it incurs tyranny so I end up just letting people rot in there because I can't figure out what to do with them.
It's very helpful to have a high diplomacy score for yourself, your wife and chancellor. This will give you an opinion bonus with every character. You can award honorary titles to placate court members who join factions they will need a opinion score around 50 before they actually leave the faction.

After a rebellion is defeated, you can revoke ONE title from each of the imprisoned rebels. You can give the titles to family members. Avoid the tyranny penalty like the plague.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron

It's very helpful to have a high diplomacy score for yourself, your wife and chancellor. This will give you an opinion bonus with every character. You can award honorary titles to placate court members who join factions they will need a opinion score around 50 before they actually leave the faction.

After a rebellion is defeated, you can revoke ONE title from each of the imprisoned rebels. You can give the titles to family members. Avoid the tyranny penalty like the plague.

Well, it would be nice if my current ruler was male but unfortunately House Piast seems very prone to having female heirs. Right now my current ruler has 4 children, all female. Previous ruler also had all females.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
You can take some cold comfort in the fact that the kingdom of Poland will be invaded by the Golden Horde anyway. Then, your best bet will be to join the independence faction (preferably as leader) and topple them. That's what happened in my Poland play-through, at least...

Delterius

Arcane
You can take some cold comfort in the fact that the kingdom of Poland will be invaded by the Golden Horde anyway. Then, your best bet will be to join the independence faction (preferably as leader) and topple them. That's what happened in my Poland play-through, at least...
You should accept no less than becoming great khan. The polish horde will overrun Europe.

oscar

Arcane
I go with primogeniture so there's usually little point in installing those of the same dynasty as vassals.

Ppinion boost is negated and kinslayer if I kill one (I think, dunno if it is calculated on killing a relative or merely killing same dynasty).

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
i'm amazed there's still no "drown this newborn baby, we'll wait for a better heir" button.

You ain't kidding. The person in the pic was going to be my heir, I got lucky and had a son and sent this girl off to France with a non-matrilineal marriage :O How she managed to become a Gray Eminence is beyond me...

aRYQOQC.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom