Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I wouldn't say that it is a borefest necessarily, just that the entire India area feels very claustrophobic. You don't have many options of where to go or what to do there, and there are just so many provinces that are all landlocked, with limited ability to expand. Playing in the north-western part as a duke, I have a fun game going (on hold due to rebel bug right now, I cannot find where it is in the files). My liege had lots of sons, and didn't change out of gavel-kind, so the whole thing has turned into perpetual cluster-fuck as the greater kingdom split into the 4-5 smaller ones, who are constantly trying to dick over one another. All the while I gradually expand and fight with the Muslims, with the occasional human sacrifice to Kali.

On the other hand, the games where I was in the middle of, northeastern part of, and in the south, have all had me quitting relatively quickly because there was nothing to do but wait. There isn't even any real threat to you.

They are.
Yeah, I agree. I've been playing as a Shahi vassal and the game is very, very fun, one of my best ever. Muslims, Tengri, Hindus, Zoroastrians, it's a zoo with nobody on top. I played briefly in the eastern portion of India and until I was killed by a never ending peasant rebel pile on, it was a boring game. Boring in the same way that playing in the middle of France or the Holy Roman Empire is. It's why I always play on cultural and religious fault lines, because that's where the game is actually happening. I've played a couple Shahi vassal games actually and every single one is insanely tough and varied - sometimes (most of the time) I get crushed pretty quickly but sometimes I'm able to survive through serendipity. This is really the first game I've actually done well, I eventually got killed by ~960 in the others.

Anyway, yeah, India's not really bad or anything but because of the homogeneity of the region it's pretty boring. It's "India in the corner", it's not really connected to the rest of the world except in the Hindu Kush, where it's awesome. Hopefully this will get changed in the future if they add new areas.

That said, what makes most religions interesting is the way they interact with other religions (holy wars, crusades, raiding, whatever) but what makes Buddhism and Jainism interesting is their own internal mechanics. Hinduism seems to be the most boring religion because it's pretty similar to Orthodoxy, just with raiding.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
IGd1lWJ.jpg

Just revolted from the Shahi and became the king of Afghanistan. Despite my size, I'm really not that strong. My goal is to get all the remaining Shahi territory, capture Delhi and capture Balochistan. Really not sure what I want to do after that.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
fuck this shit.
latest patch stealthly re-enabled the sunset invasion dlc. 150 years wasted because i didn't notice.
fuck you.
Try editing the save game and set the variable for if the invasions have happened to "true". If the game thinks the Aztecs have already invaded they never will, and your game will play exactly as if the DLC was disabled.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Just revolted from the Shahi and became the king of Afghanistan. Despite my size, I'm really not that strong. My goal is to get all the remaining Shahi territory, capture Delhi and capture Balochistan. Really not sure what I want to do after that.

Remove caesar from the premises!

Delterius

Arcane
Was there really anyone who didn't participate in raiding and pillaging? The christians did it, the roman-greek did it and the muslims did it too.

YEah its a gamist thing. Pillaging is present when you take cities, looting is more of a raider irregular war thing. Very apt for viking raiders, nomads, etc, but would't make sense in Christian Europe.

Don't think muslims should rape willy-nilly, and not all of them. Prolly something tied to religion and culture, can't see Persians doing such raiding, its more of a arab/turk thing.
If you think along the lines of the mediterranean war you have things like the portuguese outright looting well past what we like to call the medieval age.

And if you think about Catholic Europe... well, a Trégua e Paz de Deus didn't come from nowhere now did it.

Delterius

Arcane

Brinko

Arcane
What is the best way to form Jerusalem in the earliest time through the gamiest possible manner? The best way I have thought up doing it is to find a jewish guy, grant him Paris which will kick off the crusades because of the new mechanic of infidels holding a great place, then invading for jesus or whatever and throwing away my old crown from whatever start position I chose after grabbing as much cash as I could from it.

My question is is what would be the best place to start from the Old Gods date?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Go viking and spread the Voice of Óðinn into that nest of scum and heresy. That's the best way to form Jerusalem.

What is the best way to form Jerusalem in the earliest time through the gamiest possible manner? The best way I have thought up doing it is to find a jewish guy, grant him Paris which will kick off the crusades because of the new mechanic of infidels holding a great place, then invading for jesus or whatever and throwing away my old crown from whatever start position I chose after grabbing as much cash as I could from it.

-Play Abbasids.
-Move Capital to Orthodox region.
-Convert to local religion for 1000 piety.
-???
-Profit.

Brinko

Arcane

-Play Abbasids.
-???
-Profit.

I've tried this before and Egypt seems to always shit out troops to rape me constantly

Go viking and spread the Voice of Óðinn into that nest of scum and heresy. That's the best way to form Jerusalem.
I thought of doing this for lulz then converting later to vassalize the 5 holy orders.

-Play Abbasids.
-???
-Profit.

I've tried this before and Egypt seems to always shit out troops to rape me constantly

Really? On paper you should be far stronger since Tulunid's only have 1/3rd your realm size. Are you going max city tax and saving for merc spam? You should pretty much invade Egypt first thing since you have a strong claim.

Tulunids indeed just shit out troops. They're stronger than they seem to be.
Played a test game, it looks like they start with a merc order (mamlukes) vassalized, and its a 6k group. Other than that they are really weak.

Abbasid's start major weak because your ruler is shit and everyone hates you, so no vassal troops. But Gilan sees me with 500 from vassals and 2k myself, themselves with 4k event troops, and declares holy war on me like a week in. That gives me +75 relations with everyone and boosts my troop count to like 6k. I just beat Gilan, kept the war going to keep relations high, bumped up vassals taxes to 30% for infinite cash, hired my own mercs and annexed all Tulunid Egypt in one go.

Sadly you CAN'T convert to christain as the Abbasid ruler because you are the Caliph, and heads of religion can't convert. So you'd have to educate sons and stuff.

How is there STILL no patch? Fuck it im downgrading I've waited enough.

hehe, remember when one of the perks of Steam was that patching was supposed to be easier? Like, if someone messed up and added a 0 to the 5 to make 50% revolt risk, you could easily hotfix that within days if not hours?

:hearnoevil:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom