Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

ironyuri

How are mods doing, by the way? I may be crazy, but I swear Paradox's mod forum for CK is private for some damn reason I can't fanthom. I want to get mods, you faggots, let me in!

You have to register your game with Paradox to gain access to specific sections of the forums. It's part of their piracy protection.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
How are mods doing, by the way? I may be crazy, but I swear Paradox's mod forum for CK is private for some damn reason I can't fanthom. I want to get mods, you faggots, let me in!

You have to register your game with Paradox to gain access to specific sections of the forums. It's part of their piracy protection.
A much more intelligent form of piracy protection no less I'd say.

anus_pounder

Arcane
FUUUUUUUUUUU- trying a game as Bavaria. Got married to a pretty 16 year old hunagarian princess with INCREDIBLE stats. She died at 20. :cry:

EDIT : Awesome. Steward died after being called off to war by the Emperor. His replacement is some 60 year old guy with single digit stats.

Monocause

Arcane
Yep, it's way too easy. Started as the duchy of Connacht (1 province duchy in Ireland), united the whole isle in 80 years and acquired Moray from the Scots through succesful marriage. Now that I'm stronger than Scotland I could easily conquer the kingdom, then I'd probably take out Norway, then England.

Putting the game on hold now, waiting a couple of months for some balance patches, cool mods (the ones that are out now are bound to become obsolete quickly) and perhaps an expansion to come out. Still, one of the best titles in Paradox history in terms of pure fun factor, huge potential.

Well my copy finally arrived in the mail today, can't wait play. But I've got one issue. I'm trying to register my copy on the Paradox forums for access to mod forums etc , but it keeps saying "key invalid". Both the activation code form the manual in the box as well as the cd key from steam. Have any one else bumped into this issue and found a way to make it work?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
King BLOBERT "the Great" of Ireland is fucking shit up. The Emerald Isle is almost completely under his rule, and then he'll turn his sights to extending his BROdom over England and Scotland!

In my current game as Bavaria, the kingdom of Ireland has inherited France completely. West of the HRE, there is now a big green blob called Ireland.

And to think I had the chance to claim the title of King of Ireland, but then my daughter, who had the claim and who would have inherited my duchy because succession is elective and I managed to get most people to vote for her, was murdered by some plotters. There went my chance. :(

A much more intelligent form of piracy protection no less I'd say.

Indeed, thats one form of anti piracy measure that doesn't fuck paying customers in the ass. Somewhat annoying, but I can accept that.

Well I managed to fix the registration issue. I'll post the solution in case any one else runs into this issue. At the end of the key add as many X as are needed to fill out the entire registration form.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Indeed, thats one form of anti piracy measure that doesn't fuck paying customers in the ass. Somewhat annoying, but I can accept that.

Annoying? C'mon, you bind the key to your account once and that's it.

For me, Crusader Kings II suffers from lack of events. It gets a bit samey after a while. Should leave it until you get some mods for that.

Yeah, most Paradox game suffer from this. More funny events which can happen to your character would spice the game up.

Tigranes

Arcane
More events would be nice, and I assume the community will soon begin making great event packs. I'd love to see more unorthodox ways by which claims are made/lost, or small spikes to levy numbers, buildings, etc.

Having a lot of trouble keeping the Kingdom of Castille together. I had to immediately surrender to one civil war where 4 dukes (half the realm) joined together to set Crown Authority to Low; that happened when the King was 16, so now until he dies I can't change it back. That set the stage for a lot of inter-noble fighting and even nobles expanding my realm by killing off Muslims when I didn't want to. Combined with France taking over the Algeria/Tunisia area, the Muslims in the West Mediterranean are now a subdued force, but I'm in a position where the Duke of Toledo owns 11 provinces, the Duke of Portucale keeps rebelling to try and take over the Kingdom of Portugal, etc.

After about ten years of this I had enough and decided to banish the Duke of Portucale after another civil war, dividing up his holdings amongst more loyal vassals. Unfortunately, the tyranny effect of that decision seemed to be far more wide-reaching than tooltips suggested (either a bug or I misread something), and now the rest of the realm is even more at boiling point. My main efforts are going into keeping the Duke of Toledo (a kinsman, in fact) happy, as him + my own holdings constitutes over half of the kingdom.

Monocause

Arcane
You don't banish. I don't know if it's a bug or not but banishing a nobleman always incurs a vassal opinion penalty, even if the banished guy tried to stab you in the back multiple times.

When a rebel gets imprisoned you have to revoke his title (you're allowed to revoke one of them per imprisonment I think if you want to avoid the penalty) and either keep him in prison (and hope he dies there due to -2 health before his friends start to bang on your doors) or release him in which case he goes to some other court. Just keep your spymaster uncovering plots as the bastard is sure to plot against you.

If you can't revoke all his titles then keep him in prison until he dies. His heir should have a fairly normal opinion of you and the fact that pops died in your prison doesn't seem to bother him one bit.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Its not a bug since banishing is worse than execution. Executing just kills the guy, banishing confiscates his lands for the crown which is a horrible taboo in a feudal society.

Renegen

Arcane
Yeah given that this is a dynasty game, I think dynasty members should get a small relations hit if you kill other members of their dynasty. Something like -5 normal person, -10 if they were landed.

Harpsichord

Arcane
Uh, I've actually experienced the opposite. I've banished traitorous barons/bishops (attempted assassination of my person/heresy) with no penalty whatsoever(count and higher will always give me -20 though yes), yet it's ALWAYS a -10 regardless of the crime if I execute them. Which, seems absolutely fucking ridiculous to me considering that people got killed all the time back then for what we consider petty crime today, and these are people who were plotting to kill the god damned King for crying out loud.

Just revoke their claim while they are imprisoned at no penalty and then chop their head off or ransom them back. Basically the same result as banishing, a large sum of gold and a title. I don't buy Malakal's explanation because it's apparent that by design, titles can be revoked from traitorous/heretical vassals with no penalty to relations. I also think that from a gameplay standpoint, banishing allows another lord to press a claim on your turf and thus it really makes no sense to me as to why it's even an option when there is essentially no reason to ever use it. I've only ever used it for roleplay purposes as the people I've banished without penalty could have just as easily had their titles revoked at no penalty.

As far as I can tell an unskilled/unlanded courtier who hates you is as good as dead from the standpoint of how he's able to influence the game, as long as (s)he's in your court at least. Whereas an unskilled and unlanded courtier in a foreign court opens the door to getting roflstomped by the neighbors.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm pretty sure the one time I released someone, the bastard just jumped right back in his Ducal throne and resumed plotting after a couple of years. Actually, going by the tooltips, it seemed like imprisonment for plotters incurs no penalties, but afterwards, any action - execution, banishment, revocation - all incur various penalties. The only thing is the tooltip told me -20 or 30, but I had a lot of people go -50 Tyranny, when I hadn't done anything else that was tyrannical. Again, I might have read things wrong.

The key seems to be that I now hold 4 kingships (Galicia, Portugal, Leon, Castille), and several duchies (Leon, Castille, Galicia, Valencia) - so even though I am always within the demesne limit, many of my vassals either desire my duchies and/or think I am hoarding too many. I actually saved the game and tried claiming the Empire of Iberia (which I think a small mod enabled), but that seemed to make everyone even more angry for some reason. I might try just giving away all my duchies to see if that helps, though that will go even further towards making my kingdom completely decentralized. My only saving grace at the moment is that the kingdom in general is very well taxed and I now have many improvements on the provinces I own, allowing me to still raise ~3000 personal troops. Of course, the Duke of Toledo can raise over twice that in his Muslim invasions...

I think the experiences here show that crown authority is not always popamole - that is a key limitation on any progress towards centralisation and solidarity at the moment, and so my kingship is constantly under threat, which is delightful. I'm almost tempted to go Gavelkind and split the realm, preserving a Christian Spain and allowing my dynasty a chance for a comeback, but I don't even have enough children for that yet.

Luzur

Good Sir
England no longer exists. In its place rests Norway, victorious after years of steamrolling :smug:
But that's not in my part of the world. I'm just biding my time before the inevitable muslim hordes happen along to rape my dynasty.

Norway conquered England around 1090 in my game, now they are dragging me into wars with Scotland every year or so.

i always just stay home when that happens and give the norwegians a pat on the shoulder every now and then.

lthough i think it is the Scottish king that tried to assassinate my son some time ago, mayhaps it is time to get some new lands on the Scottish Highlands, if Norway leave something left to gain that is.

Vaarna_Aarne

By the way, what's everyone's experiences on dealing with the Mongols? Because I'm starting to get a more than vague suspicion that they're ridiculously overpowered and could solo everyone else on the map simultaniously if they so wished.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
By the way, what's everyone's experiences on dealing with the Mongols? Because I'm starting to get a more than vague suspicion that they're ridiculously overpowered and could solo everyone else on the map simultaniously if they so wished.

As always different scenarios are possible.

Both hordes can appear at the same time and fight each other. That takes them out of the picture right away.

In my current game Ilkhanate failed to establish itself and merely contends with local muslim states for the title of the local power. Fears BE.

Golden Horde was quite succesful though having conquered eastern Rus then jumping over unified western-central Rus to Finland, from then to Denmark and from then to England (Sic!). Used to be the biggest power in army size but internal squabbles ruined it. Now in decline, wont reappear most likely.

Timurids are a joke really.

I dont like this nation jumping, mongols shouldnt avoid challenge from Rus and BE since they wont consolidate with those huge gaps in between. Of course with mere 120k they cant conquer Byzatium so...

In summary: BE effectively shield the christian world from Ilkhanate, GH can be powerful but lack direction.

Monocause

Arcane
@The Brazillian Slaughter:

A temporary solution to the demesne limit problem is granting land to 70+ old courtiers without any heirs. Give or take a couple of years, they die - you get the land back.

As to the king question - Well, how many counties does the current king have as personal holdings? In case of everything that isn't a personal holding you won't get it - you just become the sovereign and the late king's vassals become your vassals.

If there is no current king of Georgia and you're creating the title then you get no additional land over what you already have.

Vaarna_Aarne

As always different scenarios are possible.

Both hordes can appear at the same time and fight each other. That takes them out of the picture right away.

In my current game Ilkhanate failed to establish itself and merely contends with local muslim states for the title of the local power. Fears BE.

Golden Horde was quite succesful though having conquered eastern Rus then jumping over unified western-central Rus to Finland, from then to Denmark and from then to England (Sic!). Used to be the biggest power in army size but internal squabbles ruined it. Now in decline, wont reappear most likely.

Timurids are a joke really.

I dont like this nation jumping, mongols shouldnt avoid challenge from Rus and BE since they wont consolidate with those huge gaps in between. Of course with mere 120k they cant conquer Byzatium so...

In summary: BE effectively shield the christian world from Ilkhanate, GH can be powerful but lack direction.
Well, the thing is, in my Duke of Karelia campaign where I've unified Finland (and seized Livonia and Courland), the Golden Horde is in the middle of six civil wars and declare war on me. They immediately proceed to park 400k levies on the border provinces, invoking a stern wtf.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
400k? Is that even possible? They start with what, 120k? Its impossible for them to quickly go up to 400k unless their conquered lands were very advanced before. Biggest I have seen is BE with around 150k. Check the ledger.

348g8rs.png

Best Grandmaster ever. :thumbsup:

Sieges and attrition need a lot of work. The former is so static and the latter virtually non-existant. So much promise, so little used.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom