Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization 7 is officially in development, Firaxis confirms

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
plz buy $200 of DLC again.

I hope they make it more accesible, the previous versions were too complicated.
You know what I want to see from the game, remove the tech tree, remove the military system, remove buildings, remove the card system, remove religions, remove the diplomacy system, remove government types, remove currency, remove resources, make it so that the game isn't turn based, make it so it doesn't matter what country or leader I choose, Civ has too much water remove it, it has too much land as well remove it, you know what I hate the graphics too remove them as well, Civ 7 should be text based erotic novel. Give the people what they want Firaxis.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I've been playing Civ 6 yesterday, and man I don't know, every time I play Civ time just melts away. Been playing all day.

I prefer mission based games more at the moment, RTS and tactical, where I can do a mission in anywhere between 20 minutes to 3 hours in the case of Age of Empires II, but not all day and then not be even done with one game.

I've been playing Civ 6 yesterday, and man I don't know, every time I play Civ time just melts away. Been playing all day.

I prefer mission based games more at the moment, RTS and tactical, where I can do a mission in anywhere between 20 minutes to 3 hours in the case of Age of Empires II, but not all day and then not be even done with one game.
Try Endless Legend. It's a 4x with missions, and Civ 6 "borrowed" the district mechanic from it. I am so-so about it though. There's going to be a lot of info thrown at you and if you're not familiar with 4x games it might be a bit dizzying at first.

Thing is, Civ 7 has the easy objective of being better than Humankind. But if they double down on 6's mechanics then I don't know if I'm going to like it.

As in Civ development canon, though, 7 will have the core civ stuff, some of the things from the previous one, and something that has never been tried before. IMO, stuff like industries and the barbarian clans mode should be part of the package at the very least, right from the get go.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Try Endless Legend. It's a 4x with missions, and Civ 6 "borrowed" the district mechanic from it. I am so-so about it though. There's going to be a lot of info thrown at you and if you're not familiar with 4x games it might be a bit dizzying at first.

Thing is, Civ 7 has the easy objective of being better than Humankind. But if they double down on 6's mechanics then I don't know if I'm going to like it.

As in Civ development canon, though, 7 will have the core civ stuff, some of the things from the previous one, and something that has never been tried before. IMO, stuff like industries and the barbarian clans mode should be part of the package at the very least, right from the get go.
yeah been playing endless legend and endless space way back when it came out. I actually liked Civilization: Beyond earth, but it was badly received and development abandonded :/ Seems like what I like about Civ games is not what Civ players like.

yeah been playing endless legend and endless space way back when it came out. I actually liked Civilization: Beyond earth, but it was badly received and development abandonded :/ Seems like what I like about Civ games is not what Civ players like.
The problem with BE is that people were expecting Alpha Centauri II, but got Civ 5 with a dull sci fi skin on instead.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
1676742718189.png

This will be my only comment.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Civ Revolutions
Which is actually a better game then BE and 6 and has a more competent AI.
Maybe civ 7 can actually reach the level of the n-gage port.
Holy shit, there was a actual n-gage port and it looks better then civ 6.

Actually, that is a good point, and an issue that plagues most of the SP focused 4X: making complicated systems the AI cannot use is pointless. You end up with an AI that needs to cheat to present any kind of challenge. It is ok in an asymetric games (Warlock 2, Spellforce: Conquest of Eo, Sorcerer King), but obnoxious in a symetric one.

Thing is, Civ 7 has the easy objective of being better than Humankind.
Old World is only focused on the ancient times, but it seems pretty solid.

PapaPetro

You end up with an AI that needs to cheat to present any kind of challenge.
Here's to hoping they actually incorporate new actual AI ChatGPT stuff. I'd like to see the computer play actually human-like at various simulated degrees rather than just use heuristics and cheat.
I think it's possible today with a few tweaks of the transformer AI model to regressively select for best next move (of varying skill) rather than best next word to complete the sentence.
Hopefully Faraxis held onto the multiplayer cloud data sets.

Last edited by a moderator:

passerby

Arcane
Here's to hoping they actually incorporate new actual AI ChatGPT stuff. I'd like to see the computer play actually human-like at various simulated degrees rather than just use heuristics and cheat.
I think it's possible today with a few tweaks of the transformer AI model to regressively select for best next move (of varying skill) rather than best next word to complete the sentence.
:hahano:
Lead designer is Heather Hazen, though Ed Beach has some title or something also.
What a beautiful career in shovelware garbage: https://www.mobygames.com/developer/heather-hazen/credits/developerId,237723/

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
You end up with an AI that needs to cheat to present any kind of challenge.
It could also just self-train. I think AlphaGo did that a lot. Isn't Deep Reinforcement learning through self training more applicable than whatever chatGPT has been using?

rezaf

Cipher
Lead designer is Heather Hazen, though Ed Beach has some title or something also.
What a beautiful career in shovelware garbage: https://www.mobygames.com/developer/heather-hazen/credits/developerId,237723/

A union between Bejeweled and Civ has already been done, though: Tiny Civilization. That game randomly popped up in my Steam queue at some point, and since it's a whopping $2 (I think I even got it discounted) I figured - why not? And, while not groundbreaking by any means, the game is actually not half bad considering the price tag.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

A union between Bejeweled and Civ has already been done, though: Tiny Civilization. That game randomly popped up in my Steam queue at some point, and since it's a whopping $2 (I think I even got it discounted) I figured - why not? And, while not groundbreaking by any means, the game is actually not half bad considering the price tag.
Also, didn't Brian Reynolds go from Civ to Alpha Centauri to Candy Crush/King to come back to Firaxis?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom