Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civ V release dates and civilizations

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
America with George Washington
Special Ability: Manifest Destiny
Special Units: B17, Minutemen

Arabia with Harun al-Rashid
Special Ability: Trade Caravans
Special Unit: Camel Archers
Special Building: Bazaar

Aztec with Montezuma
Special Ability: Sacrificial Captives
Special Unit: Jaguar
Special Building: Floating Gardens

China with Wu Zetian
Special Ability: Art of War
Special Unit: Cho-Ko-Nue
Special Building: Paper Maker

Egypt with Ramesses II
Special Ability: Monument Builders
Special Unit: War Chariot
Special Building: Burial Tomb

England with Elizabeth I
Special Ability: Sun Never Sets
Special Units: Longbowman, Ship of the Line

France with Napoleon Bonaparte
Special Ability: Ancien Regime
Special Units: Foreign Legion, Musketeer

Germany with Otto Von Bismarck
Special Ability: Furor Teutonicus
Special Units: Landsknecht, Panzer

Greece with Alexander
Special Ability: Hellenic League
Special Units: Champion Cavalry, Hoplite

India with Gandhi
Special Ability: Population Growth
Special Unit: War Elephant
Special Unit: Mughal Fort

Iroquois with Hiawatha
Special Ability: The Great Warpath
Special Unit: Mohawk Warrior
Special Building: Longhouse

Japan with Oda Nobunaga
Special Ability: Bushido
Special Units: Samurai, Zero

Ottoman with Suleiman the Magnificent
Special Ability: Barbary Corsairs
Special Unit: Janissary, Sipahi

Persia with Darius
Special Ability: Archaemenid Legacy
Special Unit: Immortal
Special Building: Satrap’s Court

Rome with Augustus Caesar
Special Ability: The Glory of Rome
Special Unit: Ballista, Legion

Russia with Catherine
Special Ability: Mother Russia
Special Unit: Cossack
Special Building: Fur Trading Post

Siam with Ramkhamhaeng
Special Ability: Father Governs Children
Special Unit: Naresuan’s Elephant
Special Building: Wat

Songhai with Askia
Special Ability: River Warlord
Special Unit: Mandekalu Cavalry
Special Building: Mud Pyramid Mosque

Fucking arabs with camels and shit and no scandinavian leader!
:mob:
And Ramessess instead of Cleopatra. Grr!

Release dates are sept 21 for AMERIKATT and sept 24 for "others". :willpirate:

yaster

Liturgist
Thailand? Seriously? Are they so fuckin' important? What next - Tibet?

410px-Thai_Garuda_emblem.svg.png

okey, they're fuckin' important.

Well, at least there are no dull scandinavians.

Why would Cleopatra be the leader of Egypt? Under her leadership, Egypt was little more than a vassal to Rome.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Why would Cleopatra be the leader of Egypt? Under her leadership, Egypt was little more than a vassal to Rome.

She was Macedonian, too. The court of the Ptolemies at that point was a fusion of both Greek and Egyptian cultures. Still the language of court was Greek, and she was a direct descendant of Alexander's general Ptolemy.

On that note, I can never figure out why Civ always has Alexander as the Greek civ leader. He was a great conqueror certainly, but the great cultural achievements of the Greeks were largely from the previous century, and Macedonia was only a partially Hellenized kingdom that was really very different from what people usually think of when they think of the glory that was ancient Greece.

I'm always figured that Fame played an equal or greater role then whether a leader was actually historically the best leader of a nation.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Overweight Manatee said:
I'm always figured that Fame played an equal or greater role then whether a leader was actually historically the best leader of a nation.

Well, I guess I just find it strange because you can make a compelling argument that Alexander wasn't Greek. Alexander and his father Philip had about the same relationship to Greek cities such as Athens, Sparta, Thebes, or Corinth as King George III had to the American colonies. Sure, there are commonalities of language and culture, but a distinct split in identity. There are a lot of other great Greek political leaders where there is no question of them being Greek. so I find it odd that they would go with Alexander even if he is the most famous.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
So is there any word on what the "special ability" is? Is it just the stat bonus each leader receives, or is it a unique wonder, or is it something else entirely?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
France with Napoleon Bonaparte
Special Ability: Ancien Regime
Special Units: Foreign Legion, Musketeer

So France's special unit is gonna be... foreign troops... yeah...
-insert joke about french military prowess to hide the fact that they humiliated and dominated europe for a good 2 centuries in the modern era in order to cater to a hidden agenda of wounded english/german pride, not to mention Bonaparte being cool and kicking ass and people still not getting over it-

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They're shipping with only one leader per civilization. Guess I was wrong and they will milk this microtransaction crap for all its worth -- $0.99 per leader. And yeah, they really go out of their way to be PC about sticking in some of the most obscure 'civilizations' at the expense of the more prominent/obvious ones.

ScottishMartialArts said:

She was Macedonian, too. The court of the Ptolemies at that point was a fusion of both Greek and Egyptian cultures. Still the language of court was Greek, and she was a direct descendant of Alexander's general Ptolemy.

On that note, I can never figure out why Civ always has Alexander as the Greek civ leader. He was a great conqueror certainly, but the great cultural achievements of the Greeks were largely from the previous century, and Macedonia was only a partially Hellenized kingdom that was really very different from what people usually think of when they think of the glory that was ancient Greece.

You know, for all your tranniness and the other things you do that piss me off, I'd still bone you just because you're into ancient history. Just saying.

MetalCraze

Arcane
When will Firaxis stop including the stupid native american civilizations? They don't even exist anymore and got raped by euros very very long time ago.

They should've included scandinavians instead indeed.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
MetalCraze said:
When will Firaxis stop including the stupid native american civilizations? They don't even exist anymore and got raped by euros very very long time ago.

They should've included scandinavians instead indeed.

Neither do the Egyptians, or Babylonians. The American Indians are cool. I get sick of how they're held up as some paragon of virtue and ecological stewardship -- hint: they weren't -- but if you separate them from libtard butthurt and guilt, they were really some cool peoples.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
You know, for all your tranniness and the other things you do that piss me off, I'd still bone you just because you're into ancient history. Just saying.

You mean I do stuff that annoys you? :cry: :cry: :cry:

You mean I do stuff that annoys you? :cry: :cry: :cry:

I get the feeling you'll get over it.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So how about actual eastern civilizations and not Thailand. Oh right, hard to find others than China, Japan and India.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Neither do the Egyptians[...]
Really?

The American Indians are cool. I get sick of how they're held up as some paragon of virtue and ecological stewardship -- hint: they weren't -- but if you separate them from libtard butthurt and guilt, they were really some cool peoples.
One tribe will be ok, including three of them is the lack of creativity.

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
Seems prety standard for a civ game. But Songhai (wtf?) and Siam instead of traditional Babylon and Mongols? FFS.

Oh, Babylon is supposed to be added in a DLC/expansion isn't it?

Achilles

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:

Well, I guess I just find it strange because you can make a compelling argument that Alexander wasn't Greek. Alexander and his father Philip had about the same relationship to Greek cities such as Athens, Sparta, Thebes, or Corinth as King George III had to the American colonies. Sure, there are commonalities of language and culture, but a distinct split in identity. There are a lot of other great Greek political leaders where there is no question of them being Greek. so I find it odd that they would go with Alexander even if he is the most famous.

What the hell are you talking about? Greek city-states and kingdoms all had their own way of living and different forms of government, but all of them shared the belief that they are all part of the same nation.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
MetalCraze said:
Neither do the Egyptians[...]
Really?

Modern Egypt has virtually no connection to Ancient Egypt aside from geography. It's culturally Arabic, and the residents there are Arabs. The Egyptians of the bronze and iron ages are gone.

Going down the civ list, the following are dead cultures:

Aztecs
Egypt
Greece
Iroquois
Ottoman (Debatable)
Persia
Rome

I know nothing about Siam or Songhai so someone else will have to judge those.

Now there are cultural influences, i.e. Greeks invented democracy, and modern democracies are at least inspired by the Athenian ideal, but the cultures themselves are dead.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Alexandros said:
Overweight Manatee said:

What the hell are you talking about? Greek city-states and kingdoms all had their own way of living and different forms of government, but all of them shared the belief that they are all part of the same nation.

I think you've misunderstood me. The Greek cities, while politically independent from one another, all shared a common culture and recognized as much, and identified with one another on that level. This isn't the case with Macedonia. If you asked a 4th century Theban if Macedonians were Greeks, he'd say no. Macedonians spoke Greek, and shared some cultural practices, but it was on the fringe of the Greek world, and really had a very different identity from that of the poleis to the south. Demosthenes, for example, routinely characterizes Philip as a barbarian, a non-Greek, in his oratory against Philip. Traditional Greeks didn't think the Macedonians were Greek, so I don't think Alexander is the best choice of civ leader; that's all I'm trying to say.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Germany doesn't have anything in common with their medieval culture either in the same way.
But I wasn't talking about cultures, besides cultures aren't something present in Civs. Egypt still exists, it isn't a 100% dead civilization like Maya or Iroquis, the only historical significance of which was about getting wiped by euros.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
MetalCraze said:
Germany doesn't have anything in common with their medieval culture either in the same way.
But I wasn't talking about cultures, besides cultures aren't something present in Civs. Egypt still exists, it isn't a 100% dead civilization like Maya or Iroquis, the only historical significance of which was about getting wiped by euros.

I don't know. The civilization that built the pyramids is dead as fuck. That people are still living in the Nile river valley and delta doesn't mean that the civilization has survived.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom