Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CiV (Demo) is out

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Bruticis said:
What about the moronic water walking, err optics research tech? That alone is pretty damn annoying and stupid IMO.

That part is absolutely brilliant. Again, if you like realism, stay the fuck away from Civilization. That option makes sea forces relevant - a problem there's always been there with Civ.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I noticed that even with sailing you now have to build a road from a coastal city to a city on a river bank to get a trade route

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
BTW full 'demo' has just appeared at usual internet 'shops'. Im gonna try it now and see how much of Skyways rage is indeed justified.

Elwro

Arcane
Also, there's one thing I really can't fathom: you can buy new units and buildings instantly for your gold, but you cannot speed up production which has already started. So, if you are building a Warrior and see the enemy advancing, check the time and see that it's 2 turns before completion, you have to buy a completely new Warrior, full-price. WTF? Am I missing something?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Elwro said:
Also, there's one thing I really can't fathom: you can buy new units and buildings instantly for your gold, but you cannot speed up production which has already started. So, if you are building a Warrior and see the enemy advancing, check the time and see that it's 2 turns before completion, you have to buy a completely new Warrior, full-price. WTF? Am I missing something?

As I wrote looks like mercenaries are in. You hire new units cause thats what they are, when You build them You recruit Your own.

At least thats how I explain it, no idea how devs rationalize this.

I noticed that even with sailing you now have to build a road from a coastal city to a city on a river bank to get a trade route
You have to build a harbour for it to be connected.

Tails

Arbiter
Malakal said:
I did play SMAC and diplo was horrible. 'By our Lord giv tech or vendetta!' or 'Give tech for this useless tech' or 'Vendetta anyway fuck you'.
:lol: Business is going as usual, eh Malakal?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Malakal said:
Uhm yes? Yes they did miss each other? They were chasing each other all over the place, burning vilages and often avoiding general battle?
What does it have to do with Civ gameplay?

How big is one hex again? Its damn enough to miss a small or even medium army.
But archers shooting over mountains don't somehow miss small or medium army?

Want passage then negotiate it.
Except there is no option for it? Oh sorry I forgot it isn't there and it's good because otherwise I would just exploit a dumb AI!

Its about game forcing YOU to force Your way through. It could be as well equal to autodeclaration of war from enemy but then random wars (as in oh sorry wrong move) could happen. Now You get a popup.
No it's about game worrying for casual players who are too retarded to have more than 1 option.
Previously I had a pop up showing me that my relationships with that nation go bad and it demands me to remove my forces in 1 or 2 turns or this means war (or the war happens right away if relations are bad).

Soo 3 tiles away is better/worse than whatever the number was before?
Wait... You haven't played Civs much do you?

How exactly IS economy dumbed down exactly?
You can now work land far away from the initial city. Support buildings don't have anything but bonuses to resources. You never have resource problems ever because of that. There is no citizen management like unrest and unhappiness in cities so civilians always work resources with no problems.
You don't have to worry about economy ever.

You miss spamming cottages everywhere but on resources?
Uhm sorry I dislike Civ4

Granary storing 50% of food for a 50 million people city build in 2600BC great idea.
Excuse me... are you dumb? 50 million people city in 2600BC ?! (not mentioning that there are no such cities even today) Ahahaha and you even tried to use this as complaint about the lack of realism in a fucking Civ game?

No, improving the AI should be a first priority. But it probably wasnt and wont be so why be dellusional?
So that's why it's OK to dumb down the game?
Do you really find Civ that complex?

Yes, units were obsolete as fast as one-two techs in previous civs. For example crossbowmen in Civ 4.
Civ4 is shit, stop bringing it up.

Techs not making sense? A lot, but for example divine right (like what?), fascism and communism, ecology (thats a tech?) and others that I wont mention cause it was some time now since I played.
But technologies like these are there, but stuff like alphabet was cut out. I guess bullshit like monuments improving culture is more logical than inventing alphabet? Lol

WTF? In civ 4 You had PERCENTAGES of victory chance.
Ah I get it. You haven't played any Civ but Civ4 which itself had the crown of the most dumbed down one before Civ5 came out.

Sure AT and AA cant defend themselves.
No they can't.

Oh wait they are meant for defence
They defend other objectives from specific attacks.

All artillery can be used for defence actually (counterfire and stuff)
Yeah in melee right? Bahaha

Ever heard of skirmishers or mounted archers?
Sorry I didn't see any horse under archers. But I could clearly see archers standing in place while melees were hopelessly hacking at them with swords. Civ5 is about realism isn't it?

And units being unable to easily defeat STRONGER untis makes sense doesnt it?
Stronger archers being able to defeat melees in melee combat? No.

I did play SMAC and diplo was horrible. 'By our Lord giv tech or vendetta!' or 'Give tech for this useless tech' or 'Vendetta anyway fuck you'.
Tired of bringing up strawmen? If your nation was shit with shit rep and no friends then of course they were declaring vendetta (why not? what will you do to them?) but they never put it that way. When you had a fairly strong nation they were just going "oh I will remember that! I will remember that!" and disappearing in butthurt. But let me make a wild guess - you sucked at SMAC right?

Adding diplo bonuses for civics isnt really advanced too and was present in civ 4.
Except it sucked in Civ4. In Civ4 it was just +1 to relations/-1 to relations. Not 'holy crap you are such an exploiter I declare war" as it was with "righteous" Pravin Lal and his UN. Personalities weren't too hardcoded either and could be even randomised while still keeping general traits.

Previous civs were as complex as a brick is. Sure it is edgy but its still a brick.
They were more complex than Civ4 and Civ5, but as I see it - too complex for you

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Tails said:
Malakal said:
:lol: Business is going as usual, eh Malakal?

'Hows business? Just kidding, Vendetta anyway.'

But I'll admit that SMAC at least had some nice options for UN.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Elwro said:

Welcome to dumbing down and laziness to make it more complex

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Malakal said:
Uhm yes? Yes they did miss each other? They were chasing each other all over the place, burning vilages and often avoiding general battle?
What does it have to do with Civ gameplay?

How big is one hex again? Its damn enough to miss a small or even medium army.
But archers shooting over mountains don't somehow miss small or medium army?

Do I have to point out the irony?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Let me guess. This irony is in that in the first part of the quote I say that Civ gameplay isn't about realism and in the next one, due to the lack of reading comprehension among 2009 members, I complain about the lack of realism?

What do I win?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Let me guess. This irony is in that in the first part of the quote I say that Civ gameplay isn't about realism and in the next one, due to the lack of reading comprehension among 2009 members, I complain about the lack of realism?

What do I win?

Shit I don't know, I hadn't really thought of a prize. A random YouTube video?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Drakron said:
Artillery cannot survive a attack, they are long range bombardment left behind your lines as they are SUPPORT.

Same with AA and AT, they are specialized defenses that is useless against anything else, they are not left alone either and I am not even going about bombers as you are saying a B-17 could defend its airbase from a tank assault.
A modern artillery is able to do a direct fire engagement.

The MSTA-S can engage armored vehicles and fortifications employing precision-guided guided projectiles. It was deployed for the first time in the late 1990s in Chechnya. An automatic loading system for projectiles and semi-automatic for charges provide a rate of fire of 6-8 rounds per minute. Typically a crew of 5 people is required to operate the MSTA-S artillery system and a 12.7mm machine gun provides self-defense capability as well as the 152mm in the direct fire mode.

Russian artillery was even trained to be able to attack moving tank formations by an indirect fire.

As for AA. There are two types. The AA that is supposed to protect formations against CAS, bombs, and helicopters. And regional AA defense, which is supposed to engage stealth aircraft, AWACS, tankers, high altitude fighters, and basically make an area a no fly zone for enemy.
The former is basically added into army formations. The later has few units added for self protection.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
There was something like a modder's Tao for Diablo 2 mods, i remember one line of it.

- conflicting skills (units,buildings for civ5) add replay value and encourage experimentation

this trend to wish-granting in recent games is certainly annoying.

Drakron

Arcane
Raghar said:
A modern artillery is able to do a direct fire engagement...

You know that the 8.8 FlaK was a anti-air gun that was successfully used as a anti-tank gun,leading to the PaK 88?

The point is artillery is support, when it comes to games as Civ things are just left "generic" so the purpose of artillery is to engage enemy units at range, it cannot and should not have the same "defense" rating as a normal unit since it offsets the fact it have a attack range normal units lack.

Units have to be balanced, Civ 5 seems to be throwing it away as it dumbs things down, they dont seem interested in changing things so its still the same Civ but now even dumber and more broken.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Ranged units in Civ 5 have different melee and ranged values, and they can't engage in direct melee except for defense.

For example, the archer has 6 strength in ranged and 4 strength in melee (for comparison, a warrior has 6 str, a explorer has 4 str, a spearman 7 str and a swordsman 11 str).

So archers are very weak in melee compared to the others melee units of the same era. And the same goes for all the ranged units in the game.

Elwro

Arcane
Malakal said:
As I wrote looks like mercenaries are in. You hire new units cause thats what they are, when You build them You recruit Your own.
Yeah, but their service you buy is seemingly eternal... and what, monuments and courthouses for hire? This rationalization doesn't work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom