Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civ 1 or CivNet?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyway, I have been playing the DOS version since it's essentially the same as the Amiga version I'm used to.
I've been playing version 01, but then I upgraded to version 475.05. Now it's much harder to keep people content, and after a while even the first citizen in a city starts out as unhappy when playing on Emperor level. The Mongols built the Hanging Gardens one or two turns before I captured their capital. I can only imagine how frustrating it would have been to keep people content without i.

Anyhow the Chariot Blitzkrieg strategy proved extremely effective and playing on a large map by 660 BC I've wiped out all competetion except for the English. The English are on an another continent and London has City Walls. I guess I can either throw Chariots against it until I get lucky, siege it or use dipomats to sabotage the walls. The last tactic appeals most to me.
Or I can switch government to Democracy, develop my cities, and try to win the space race.

I've found using the early Blitzkrieg strategy is not that fun, and that you miss out on a hell of a lot of the things that make Civlization so great, mainly the joy of building up a large and advanced civlization that will eventually bring people to the stars. And if you choose to go the peaceful tech route you will eventually fall behind on Emperor level and be forced to use nukes to stop other civs from being too dominant.
It's a bit of a pity that on the hardest level the game rewards you for conquest, backstabbing, sabotage and nuklear war, instead of building a peaceful civilization that will stand the test of time.

Blake00

Learned
CivNET wasn't much of a hit and as almost forgotten about these days.. it kinda looked the same as CivWIN but it added a forced end game with no option to continue that wasn't popular. It's big feature was of course multiplayer but if you're looking for single player then that's not gonna mean much. In the surviving Civ1 communities these days people are playing either good old CivDOS version or CivWIN with mods. CivWIN is my preferred these days as you can mod it to look and sound like the DOS version and it supports modern HD resolutions. Only issue is getting it working as it's a 16bit windows app, however either using WineVDM or a XP Virtual machine solves that issue. Weirdly despite being newer CivNET does not support modern resolutions although there's a hack out there that fixes it. Latest fan map/save editors can convert savegames between CivDOS and CivWIN but not CivNET (as no one really plays it anymore). Fans have also made a bunch of cool scenarios over the years (including a rather good Dune one) that once again only work in the first two, not CivNET.

Example shot of CivWIN in HD with CivDOS graphics...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom