Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities : Skylines

Perkel

Arcane
trully mighty feat to beat new completely new game from one of the niche distributors created by team completely unknown to people with 0 marketing

It's not like take 2 is one of the biggest publishers, spending milions for marketing hiring shit ton of people who worked several years spending more than 100milion for developement releasing first on two separate console generations starving pc players for game that has like 20 years legacy of "amazing games"*

And they beat it in one day what skylines had to do in a month. Trully spectacular win.

Angthoron

Arcane
trully mighty feat to beat new completely new game from one of the niche distributors created by team completely unknown to people with 0 marketing
Not to mention a sullied franchise name (Thanks, Cities XXL!)

Turjan

Arcane
Not to mention a sullied franchise name (Thanks, Cities XXL!)
Yup. We've seen J_C fall into that trap.

So I guess it's time for me to add a mod, as somehow one of the vanilla restrictions gets obvious:

70E27030DE59D62E0DA622D946B688A985BF8E3D

Turjan

Arcane
paradox announced that skylines sold 1mln coppies
They'll only put it on GOG in 2025 when they think they've milked it dry.
This became already obvious in the days before release. When Paradox noticed that this might be a big seller, they suddenly switched the Steam requirement from "only activation" to "let's check periodically". The dollar euro signs appeared in their eyes.

cw8

Cipher
They better not put POE's expansions as steam only. That's my number 1 worry right now.

Alpinia

Novice
They'll only put it on GOG in 2025 when they think they've milked it dry.
This became already obvious in the days before release. When Paradox noticed that this might be a big seller, they suddenly switched the Steam requirement from "only activation" to "let's check periodically". The dollar euro signs appeared in their eyes.

Is this true? Their faq only mentions a one-time steam activation, they've been boasting about their DRM-free stance for quite a while and none of their current self-developed games have any kind of DRM, so that would be very out of character for Paradox.

Turjan

Arcane
Is this true? Their faq only mentions a one-time steam activation, they've been boasting about their DRM-free stance for quite a while and none of their current self-developed games have any kind of DRM, so that would be very out of character for Paradox.

It's their first game that requires Steam to run to play it (can be offline mode, but still). The change of mind took place a few days before release. From the horse's mouth:

"Alright, so I got some solid answers for you. Steam is required to validate and play the game, even if you purchase a physical copy. You can run Steam in offline mode, but it is still required to be running in order to play Cities: Skylines.

I realize that someone trying to avoid all DRM certainly wouldn't like those answers =( but this is the way that Paradox and CO have opted to go at this time."

http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/66146-question-about-steam/?p=1555914

Alpinia

Novice
It's their first game that requires Steam to run to play it (can be offline mode, but still). The change of mind took place a few days before release. From the horse's mouth:

"Alright, so I got some solid answers for you. Steam is required to validate and play the game, even if you purchase a physical copy. You can run Steam in offline mode, but it is still required to be running in order to play Cities: Skylines.

I realize that someone trying to avoid all DRM certainly wouldn't like those answers =( but this is the way that Paradox and CO have opted to go at this time."

http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/66146-question-about-steam/?p=1555914
Well, that's disappointing. Won't make any practical difference for me since I'm always online these days, but I don't like it on principle. :rpgcodex:

Seerix

Arbiter
Well, that actually makes sense given very broad audience of this type of game. Making it just a little bit harder to pirate ensures that quite a lot of lazy people will just buy it. Making mods only possible trough Steam Workshop(afaik) also detracts piracy a lot.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Well, that actually makes sense given very broad audience of this type of game. Making it just a little bit harder to pirate ensures that quite a lot of lazy people will just buy it. Making mods only possible trough Steam Workshop(afaik) also detracts piracy a lot.

Mods work without Steam Workshop.

cw8

Cipher

They've sold out to steam long ago. In fact they've published an article that regular gameplay DLCs and patches are their counter piracy methods. The base vanilla game for CK2, EUIV work DRM-free if you copy the game files out of the steam folder but none of the DLCs work. Won't be surprised if they made even the vanilla game to be steam activated as of now. I'm still pissed at them for changing all my Gamersgate CK2 and EUIV keys to steam keys at that time, when I bought from GG to avoid steam in the first place. Their pro DRM-free advocating was quite a few years back before they tasted success from CK2 and Magicka. Now they've made a big U-turn and went down the steam and DLC spamming route even though they still make awesome grand strategy games and publish great ones like Cities Skylines.

Thane Solus

Arcane

gta v sold 1 mln coppies only on steam on 1st day :M

Gta V had 1 gazilion devs(at least 100), Cities Skylines had around 20 + the publisher share. Do you know what it means to sell 1mil copies for those 20 people even with a publisher share? Besides making lots of money to make more games which is great, its also a great achievement, where triple AAA studious failed, a group of dedicated devs shined.

also, FUCK GTA V!

Caim

Arcane

gta v sold 1 mln coppies only on steam on 1st day :M

Gta V had 1 gazilion devs(at least 100), Cities Skylines had around 20 + the publisher share. Do you know what it means to sell 1mil copies for those 20 people even with a publisher share? Besides making lots of money to make more games which is great, its also a great achievement, where triple AAA studious failed, a group of dedicated devs shined.

also, FUCK GTA V!
GTA V's biggest rival was GTA IV. And no, Saints Row stopped being a rival after Saints Row 2. Cities: Skylines had to fight Sim City (the series that made the genre!) and a few other small (but bigger than them) teams.

And then these two dozen Scandinavians show up and put out a game that both blows their direct competitors out of the water and slaps the shit out of the game that took millions to make and had hundreds of people working on it. If I made a game that was that beloved by the fans and obliterated the work of my biggest competitor? My erection would last at least a WEEK.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Been playing this for a while, and I wish this game wasn't that easy. It's ridiculous how much I'm basically in God Mode right now and this is only my first city. I guess I should try a difficulty mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom