Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities : Skylines

Turjan

Arcane
the problem with six lane roundabouts is that cars wont use the inner lanes, clogging up the outer lanes anyways.
You are still thinking one-way roads. I'm talking of the three-lane highways. In this game, you use highways for roundabouts, because of how traffic flow is handled.
i think dedicated turning lanes help tremendously with traffic
In reality, yes. In the game, I doubt it. The way cars move at intersections, there isn't really any advantage. CiM2 had turning lanes (kind of), as cars used the bus or parking lanes as such. Didn't help one bit.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
proper isometric camera mod coming soon. Just look at this shit:

C1LAmJE.jpg

RbPjrLZ.jpg

Qf8W7yr.jpg

ob1PK0e.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
Being published by Paradox I'm amazed this doesn't have 20 DLC yet. By all accounts it's the Sim City that the past Sim Cities should have been.

Why ?

I mean if you actually look at paradox games they are probably only one company that releases proper expansions instead of DLCs.
Only cosmetic stuff like different look of units is sold on their store.

Also when next expansion comes they usually add part of the features from expansion into base game

Perkel

Arcane
Ok this is good:

Zonable Pedestrian Paths
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409184143

637x358.resizedimage

This mod adds new components to the game which means that maps saved with this mod CANNOT be opened without it! You don't need to start a new game to use this mod but you should backup your save file beforehand.

Known bugs:
-Visual glitch in intersections with main roads
-Information panel on the zonable pedestrian path is not working correctly.

You can find this new type of path in the roads panel. It's the first, where you would usually find the basic two-lane road. The original pedestrian paths are in their place and still work as always.
Vehicles will drive VERY slowly in pedestrian paths (if in emergency, they'll drive a little faster but still slower than on basic roads).
Only ambulances, hearses, police cars, fire trucks and garbage trucks can use these roads. Commercial zones will not last long (no supplies to sell). Buses will be added later.

Angthoron

Arcane
I don't remember the last time I was so interested in modding community's produce, but there you go. Beed DLing mods all evening yesterday, let's see if the game will even run anymore when I launch it today.

Heh, even some bug fixes are out from the community, stuff like houses not filling up past 80%: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409069482

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm still waiting for a mod that will change the trees in houses and in the wood industry. My great dark green forests are ruined by suddenly bright trees. :/

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Being published by Paradox I'm amazed this doesn't have 20 DLC yet. By all accounts it's the Sim City that the past Sim Cities should have been.

Why ?

I mean if you actually look at paradox games they are probably only one company that releases proper expansions instead of DLCs.
Only cosmetic stuff like different look of units is sold on their store.

Also when next expansion comes they usually add part of the features from expansion into base game
Apparently you don't look at many Paradox games. And I don't know why you exclude the cosmetic stuff. It's still shitty DLC milking:

http://store.steampowered.com/searc...gory1=21&publisher=Paradox Interactive&page=1

Perkel

Arcane
I'm still waiting for a mod that will change the trees in houses and in the wood industry. My great dark green forests are ruined by suddenly bright trees. :/

same here. But looking at mods already it will be probably fixed in few days.

Generally i think forest and agriculture industry needs an overhaul. Because both should be spacious and plots near roads and they are are just to small. Europen style of farming does have smaller plots but still those plots would be waaaay bigger than what is in this game.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This is one of those games where I'll enjoy seeing the results of other people's work more than playing the game itself. Waiting for aspies to faithfully recreate major urban cities in it.

Turjan

Arcane
Did they unlock more tiles for everyone? My game just told me to buy a new plot, although I already have nine, and I did not install any mods.

Edit: No, this was only a glitch from looking at the San Andreas map before I opened my own city. I should buy a plot and see whehter it confuses the game afterwards.

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Two things seems to be helpful fighting middle lane problem
1. Swap small problematic segment of highway with two-lane one-way road.
2. Have all or most exits and entrances to highway on the same side.

Turjan

Arcane
I noticed that you can actually snap pathways to the railway station platforms. That's pretty neat.

I saw this when I extended a "Large Playground" (as noise barrier) next to a railway station with a pathway that was supposed to lead alongside it. The pathway snapped to the platform, and Cims are using it:

F8A21B0CEDAD5D0D73190A8252C8E5F79DFBD228

Angthoron

Arcane
The pathways are a great addition. Am still figuring them out since I am used to thinking with roads, but my experimental district is really working out nicely with pathways leading to commercial/offices/transit.

Have you noticed if it improves traffic if the Cims walk across the road on elevated path bridges instead of crossing across the road?

Turjan

Arcane
The pathways are a great addition. Am still figuring them out since I am used to thinking with roads, but my experimental district is really working out nicely with pathways leading to commercial/offices/transit.

Have you noticed if it improves traffic if the Cims walk across the road on elevated path bridges instead of crossing across the road?
Yup. I use those bridges not nearly enough, but I use them. I have the feeling that cities with just trains and subways and lots of pedestrian pathes work better than if you add buses. Buses are still something I cannot use properly. They always end up with stops with hundreds of people waiting there. Did you find a working line design for those? Maybe limit to three stops or something like that?

Edit: Also, I would love them to reintroduce the snapping of pathways to elevated road and allow bus stops there, like in CiM2.

Angthoron

Arcane

Yup. I use those bridges not nearly enough, but I use them. I have the feeling that cities with just trains and subways and lots of pedestrian pathes work better than if you add buses. Buses are still something I cannot use properly. They always end up with stops with hundreds of people waiting there. Did you find a working line design for those? Maybe limit to three stops or something like that?
I usually put loads of short-ish lines with lots of connection possibilities, seems to work, but still, there's some stops that have tons of people waiting. Overall though, yeah, shorter lines work best - or deleting some stops in-between and making overlapping lines to avoid, say, 3rd station never being serviced because the bus fills up at Stop 1 and hops off only at stops 7, 8 and 9.

Turjan

Arcane
Actually, buses are used by more people than any other public transport in my city, so it's not lack of attractiveness. But that's the crux: only a fraction of them are properly transported. I will try lines with 3 or 4 stops max now.

Angthoron

Arcane
Actually, buses are used by more people than any other public transport in my city, so it's not lack of attractiveness. But that's the crux: only a fraction of them are properly transported. I will try lines with 3 or 4 stops max now.
Yeah, I know - but if the bus fills on first stop and unloads only on 9th stop, it's pointless to have 7 stops in-between, basically.

baturinsky

Arcane
You know that in public transport mapmode passengers on stops have the color of desired line, right?

Turjan

Arcane
Yes, but I don't see colors correctlly. I think I can distinguish about 10% of what others see, and that's not enough for all those lines. However, I know that passengers will choose a line at random, if there are several lines servicing the same direction. They will not deviate from this choice, even if the parallel line is empty. So there's basically no way around short lines.

I heard that Cims are supposed to be less willing to change lines in this game than in CiM, but upon following some of them, they change enough. I built a new pedestrian bridge with a long pathway, and the first guy to use that walked for ages to take a bus, then switched to train, then again to bus, until he arrived at his workplace. So I guess the system works well enough. It just has a fail-safe, but you can work around that.

baturinsky

Arcane
Good to know they can switch transportation. It was concerning me.
My subway scheme is alike to Moscow one - one circle around city and several lines crossing city from one end to another.
Bus lines are less organized, I just try to have certain density of bust stops and don't path through heavy traffic.

Turjan

Arcane
Ugh. As you may know or not, most of the special buildings are locked up behind a somewhat stupid condition, i.e. that your city has more than 50% crime at some point. Well, not all have this condition of course, but it's a chain of building unlocks, so this requirement blocks the bulk of unlocks. Today I just downloaded a savegame with a tiny town meeting the requirement (it's easy to do yourself, but it's kind of moronic). The result was that I had suddenly everything unlocked (all remaining requirements were plops). I probably shouldn't have plopped the whole stuff. Good grief. Demand is through the roof, I was zoning offices for ages, and it was still not enough. Also, the city looks somewhat weird now.

I may start something new now that I have the basics down. So I guess, a sunset pic with campfire and suicidal train looks like a good farewell shot to my first attempt at a city.

706649B69F1E7383AAD983E6F31FD7A18E59DDF6

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom