Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chrono Trigger fanboys really are a different breed of cunt

Gastrick

Cipher
Chrono Trigger fanboys really are a different breed of cunt...

"Chrono Trigger is widely accepted as the greatest RPG in history of the genre."

https://bossrush.net/2023/11/03/bos...MsyVtmCIE8Z1aCYw1c8JaDVuaderZPSHRJqNsuPC_cT1U

What a fucking claim :lol: :lol: :lol:
He actually writes later in the article that he didn't actually play it himself.
There are many, like myself, who haven’t had the chance to enjoy Chrono Trigger.
Like is common in conformity, it comes from people who don't have the experiences and knowledge to make original assessments. Like that facebook mod who didn't recognize Irenicus from Baldur's Gate II, these people have never played a CRPG outside of Skyrim and Mass Effect, and only the most popular JRPGs, so it is easy for them do declare a childhood-nostalgia game like Chrono Trigger as the "best ever."

For me, I honestly find it unplayable with all the down-time in between animations watching and waiting to see whether your turn meter has stopped, and honestly hate this type of JRPG in general, the really generic and formulaic kind.

beardalaxy

Novice
To be completely honest, I thought the gameplay itself was just sort of alright. That includes the combat and the exploration. Played it in like 2017 or so for the first time. The cool part is the story with all the time travel stuff, and ESPECIALLY the music. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross both have some of the best video game soundtracks ever and that's why they're so memorable. Music goes a long way to cement someone's experience and love for a piece of media. Hell, I've never played Earthbound all the way through but the music from that game still makes me feel as though I had. I get pretty damn nostalgic listening to it despite only playing like the first few hours of the game in 2015. I think that's a huge part of Undertale's success as well as Touhou's success as well.

Zero CHAR

Novice
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Chrono Trigger is only liked by people who played it as a child, there's a good reason that a user asked people to replay it before voting in the top JRPG list that Gastrick did.

I don't think it's bad by any means because it's a great introduction to the genre for someone new, but the fans of the game are extremely annoying about it being the best JRPG of all time.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Chrono Trigger is only liked by people who played it as a child, there's a good reason that a user asked people to replay it before voting in the top JRPG list that Gastrick did.

I don't think it's bad by any means because it's a great introduction to the genre for someone new, but the fans of the game are extremely annoying about it being the best JRPG of all time.
Makes me wonder if we should have a book club type thread where we replay one of Codex's best games ever for a week and see how we feel about it after. There's huge potential to really dig into the classics and judge if they hold up or if it's just nostalgia.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I tried to get into it twice maybe and it just reinforced my feel that mainline jrpgs are always most boring shit ever. I swear main pokemon games from gameboy have more engaging gameplay than that (cause linearer metroidvanias with customized party, effectivelly).
There are Ys games, which can be a blast to play. There are fire emblems, which are autists try to shove wargame onto console and dialogue there actually doesn't make you want to stab yourself. There s atelier with crafteng. There are personas or smt or whatever. There s Lunar which is straightforward and romantic and has music and waifus too. There s phantasy star which has typical science fantasy mix setting of time like mm or wiz.
Anything, fucking anything is more fun to play than trigger.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I honestly find it unplayable with all the down-time in between animations watching and waiting to see whether your turn meter has stopped
Long ass animations where you have nothing to do are a problem with 99% of JRPGS. Even in the original Game Boy Pokemons which should be snappy by virtue of the fact that the hardware simply can't animate anything to any significant degree, the developers decided to animate the health bar for no reason I can think of except to slow the game down because otherwise you'd plow through it too quickly. Not to mention the text speed.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
GREAT NEWS GUYS!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Square Enix Wants To Know How Fans Want To See A Chrono Trigger Remake
Square Enix would like to know what sort of a remake of its 1985 role-playing game, Chrono Trigger, fans wish to see.

Speaking during the My Perfect Console podcast with host Simon Parkin, Chrono Trigger director Yoshinori Kitase asked the host and fans what the best way would be for the development team to approach a Chrono Trigger remake for the gaming audiences of today.
Kitase described three different routes for a potential Chrono Trigger remake: a port, a graphical remaster or a remake of the scope of Final Fantasy VII Remake. Parkin shared his view on the matter, stating that he appreciated what Nintendo did with its remake of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening. Kitase responded by thanking Parkin for his great input.

A Chrono Trigger remake along the lines of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening certainly sounds compelling, especially for fans who would rather not see the game’s core storytelling and gameplay tampered with. On the other hand, a re-imagining in the vein of Final Fantasy VII Remake could also have some very enticing prospects. The shift from a turn-based combat system to a party-based real-time combat similar to that of Final Fantasy VII Remake could resonate well with a wider audience.

Kitase currently has his hands full with the Final Fantasy VII Remake trilogy, but once work on it has been completed, perhaps the development team will work on a Chrono Trigger or even a Final Fantasy VI remake.

The original Chrono Trigger was originally released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Players assume control of the protagonist and his companions within a two-dimensional world comprising forests, cities, and dungeons. Exploration takes place on an overworld map, offering a scaled-down overhead view of the landscape. Detailed areas such as forests and cities are presented as smaller, realistic maps, allowing players to interact with NPCs for items, services, puzzles, challenges, or encounters with enemies. Chrono Trigger diverged from traditional Japanese RPGs by featuring visible enemies on field maps and initiating battles directly on the map rather than transitioning to a separate battle screen.
Source: Game Infinitus

Hellraiser

Arcane

Ah, I see squeenix is already thinking forward to what they will need in the 2030s and 2040s as their decadal milking cows. Can't wait to pay 89 eurobucks for the first out of five parts of the remake, a 30 hour long retelling of the epic millennial fair, culminating in Crono and Marle getting thrown into the past(what a twist!).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Kinda surprised they didn't put it in the hands of the pixel remaster team, from what I've heard they did pretty decent work, all things considered. Though the game has already had what, 3 or 4 ports in that vein? I think I'd rather see them do a full blown AAA budget remake like for FF7 just to see how badly they cock everything up. They'd have to grab like, the art team from DBZ Fighters to do a proper 3D version of the game.

Anyways, wake me up when they realize Ayla is a dumb blonde babe wearing a purple fur bikini and they turn her into a college educated muslim woman in a tablecloth or whatever they call those things.

Falksi

Arcane

Square Enix would like to know what sort of a remake of its 1985 role-playing game, Chrono Trigger, fans wish to see.

Speaking during the My Perfect Console podcast with host Simon Parkin, Chrono Trigger director Yoshinori Kitase asked the host and fans what the best way would be for the development team to approach a Chrono Trigger remake for the gaming audiences of today.
Kitase described three different routes for a potential Chrono Trigger remake: a port, a graphical remaster or a remake of the scope of Final Fantasy VII Remake. Parkin shared his view on the matter, stating that he appreciated what Nintendo did with its remake of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening. Kitase responded by thanking Parkin for his great input.

A Chrono Trigger remake along the lines of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening certainly sounds compelling, especially for fans who would rather not see the game’s core storytelling and gameplay tampered with. On the other hand, a re-imagining in the vein of Final Fantasy VII Remake could also have some very enticing prospects. The shift from a turn-based combat system to a party-based real-time combat similar to that of Final Fantasy VII Remake could resonate well with a wider audience.

Kitase currently has his hands full with the Final Fantasy VII Remake trilogy, but once work on it has been completed, perhaps the development team will work on a Chrono Trigger or even a Final Fantasy VI remake.

The original Chrono Trigger was originally released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Players assume control of the protagonist and his companions within a two-dimensional world comprising forests, cities, and dungeons. Exploration takes place on an overworld map, offering a scaled-down overhead view of the landscape. Detailed areas such as forests and cities are presented as smaller, realistic maps, allowing players to interact with NPCs for items, services, puzzles, challenges, or encounters with enemies. Chrono Trigger diverged from traditional Japanese RPGs by featuring visible enemies on field maps and initiating battles directly on the map rather than transitioning to a separate battle screen.
"Detailed areas such as forests and cities are presented as smaller, realistic maps, allowing players to interact with NPCs for items, services, puzzles, challenges, or encounters with enemies."

Puzzles? Challenges? Genuinely struggling to remember the game offering either? Didn't have a single dungeon I can ever remember remotely struggling with?

Honestly though, I'd LOVE to see a remake.

The purists will cry like fuck that their original has been desecrated, the romantics who finished it 30-ish years ago will be forced to replay it and face how basic and boring it is, and the likelyhood is that SE will try to appease all audiences and create a fucked up hybrid of the original to upset people even more.

Throw in the fact that all new people to the game will spot it as a baby's first RPG and, after having played a ton of RPGs from the 30 years following, will (rightly) label it's obsessive fans as brain-dead baby-tards who are literally still in love with the person who gave them their first kiss because their bollocks haven't dropped yet, and a remake would be awesome.

Häyhä

Arbiter
For fucks sake this half-dead industry...

How about making a NEW GAME with those resources instead? You know, new story, characters and ideas but with advancements brought by 30 years of technology? Oh right, I forgot this was current day we're living in.

:dead:

Häyhä

Arbiter
Anyways, wake me up when they realize Ayla is a dumb blonde babe wearing a purple fur bikini and they turn her into a college educated muslim woman in a tablecloth or whatever they call those things.

Nonsense, based Japs of today are going to bring fully animated scenes like this:

ayla.jpg

Word in the industry is, they've actually licenced classic Ice Cube song to introduce her in the new game:

:troll:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

"Detailed areas such as forests and cities are presented as smaller, realistic maps, allowing players to interact with NPCs for items, services, puzzles, challenges, or encounters with enemies."

Puzzles? Challenges? Genuinely struggling to remember the game offering either? Didn't have a single dungeon I can ever remember remotely struggling with?

The purists will cry like fuck that their original has been desecrated, the romantics who finished it 30-ish years ago will be forced to replay it and face how basic and boring it is, and the likelyhood is that SE will try to appease all audiences and create a fucked up hybrid of the original to upset people even more.

Throw in the fact that all new people to the game will spot it as a baby's first RPG and, after having played a ton of RPGs from the 30 years following, will (rightly) label it's obsessive fans as brain-dead baby-tards who are literally still in love with the person who gave them their first kiss because their bollocks haven't dropped yet, and a remake would be awesome.

Or, more likely due to Squenix fans, you'll spend the subsequent years wading through comments about how the masters of JRPGs have done it again!! uwu~

I'd start asking my doctor about blood pressure meds if I were you. :lol:

Falksi

Arcane

Or, more likely due to Squenix fans, you'll spend the subsequent years wading through comments about how the masters of JRPGs have done it again!! uwu~

I'd start asking my doctor about blood pressure meds if I were you. :lol:
I called him, and he said he's already got too many patients in the asylum to deal with to take on a far saner case ;)

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Square has been on a fence lately, just like the rest of the industry. This is as true of Tifa's outfits as it is of their games' turn-based approach.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I've got a different hypothesis on whats going to happen, the fans will totally shit on and denounce the remake as "baby's first jRPG" gaslighting normies with full schizo cope mode claiming how the original was a hardcore deep title of untold artistic value, reinforcing its insane cult. Since as demonstrated ITT recently the dumb cunts on youtube don't even fucking play the games they claim to be timeless classics and supah great (peak poserdom) this is a likely scenario.

e0a.gif

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Lol, more people with a brain pouring in and proving me correct. Not that I needed the validation; I know what I am talking about. Stay on task fellas. The truth is far too often clouded behind idiocy and lies. Knocking this pathetic "game" off its undeserved pedestal was an appropriate final RPG cuckdex boss, for me. This and Goldeneye are by far the most overrated, undeserving games of the 90s. Get fucked, retard fanboys :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom