Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chronicles of Ny Q&A at RPG Dot

Psilon

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Any of those options is viable, and is also a good option to include. However, being concerned primarily with my own advancement opens up several possibilities. Being open to bribes is one; but being determined to struggle for something that might benefit me is also possible. If you believe that you have a chance of toppling a power structure, and taking control of it - in the process, gaining much power and wealth - and if you have the right plan and the right resources to pull it off, and are determined to do it, would you let some random guy called the Chosen One bribe you out of it, or talk you out of it? I honestly doubt that. Thats my point with NPCs: while no doubt some might fall prey to suggestion, bribery, diplomacy, bluffing, etc., it makes sense that some do not.

Sure, the main villain might be hell-bent on destroying Utopiaville, but are his lackeys really that committed? If you sabotage the supply trains, smash the Compelling Orb, or what-have-you, the boss's henchmen might well topple him or desert. You won't have to deal with the boss. This also leaves a lot more room for a sequel than simply casting an uninterruptible Dimension Door once the HPs drop below 5%.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Saint Proverbius said:
Some men, you just can't reach. That's true. However, there are other ways of diplomatically dealing with situations like that. Imagine having a talk with that person's superior or a family member or some person that can reach them. If there's nothing in the scenario that fits the above, you can always do the enemy of an enemy thing because there's no such thing as an aggressive bad ass that hasn't pissed someone off.

That's true, but where is the limit? Where do we draw the line? I'm sure we could all gather 'round the fireplace and discuss endless options for these kinds of situations, but likely, we'd never reach the end. I think the problem is that, while having intricate and intertwined elements like these in a CRPG is good, there is needless complexity in some things. Some things are just black and white, and don't have secret paths or another way of solving them.

Take your example, let's say the gatekeeper does not let you pass, so you decide to talk to the commander. What if the commander is a pompous arrogant ass who can't be bribed? Let's move on to the enemy of an enemy example. What if the guy never made any enemies? Granted we could create alternate ways to solve this. More options are always a good thing. But in between killing him right then and travelling half a continent to find his olde foe who will remove him is somewhat farfetched, and ultimately, provides the same result. And what if the guy has no family? Or if his family hates him? Also, considering for a minute that someone from his family could convince him, how would you find them? How would you convince them? You'd need to convince them to convince someone who apparently can't be convinced. In fact, why would his family care that you need to open the gate? It appears to be time to create a new quest just for this purpose.

Where does it end?

Psilon said:
Sure, the main villain might be hell-bent on destroying Utopiaville, but are his lackeys really that committed? If you sabotage the supply trains, smash the Compelling Orb, or what-have-you, the boss's henchmen might well topple him or desert. You won't have to deal with the boss. This also leaves a lot more room for a sequel than simply casting an uninterruptible Dimension Door once the HPs drop below 5%.

Like i said, being out for oneself can promote either background or attitude towards a certain thing. Lackeys seek some form of advancement, and some might consider quick profit as a good idea and so have no problem abandoning their post or work against their former master, while others might consider loyalty to their master to be the better one and will not under any circumstance shirk their duties. This seems obvious.

The problem as far as i'm concerned is believing that *every* situation should be solved, or that *every* NPC should be bypassed, via diplomacy.

Taoreich

Liturgist
I suppose that the problem in Columbine was that the impacted students did not have a high enough persuade skill, or did not have any "potioins of Eagle's Splendor" else they would have been able to talk their way to safety.

Similarly in Waco w/ Mnsr Kouresh and the FBI.

I'm not looking to get into a debate about the appropriateness of the chain of events in the above scenarios, but I think RP's comments are being overly deconstructed. Ultimately, there are always situations that one can not control for whatever reason, and diplomacy requires a certain amount of control. Thus there may be times when one is forced to take physical action, and the challenge in an RPG is to sell the lack of alternative control in a plausible fashion.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Sorry for the delay, one of them 12-hour work days.

Role-Player said:
It's missing a point in the sense it wasn't a mere divergence of opinion, it was about you not understanding what i was talking about.
I understood, but didn't agree.

You are the one that blatantly mocks people for thinking differently from you and for having different takes on how a feature should be implemented, and in this particular thread, a simple look at who mocked who for having diverging opinions is easy to see.
After reviewing the whole debate, it looks like we're both guilty of that, so let's continue our argument in a more civilized manner then, shall we?

You're using positive examples to reinforce your argument, but while that's a clever tactic, it's unfortunately one-sided; successful examples of diplomacy use and success don't instantly prove it's bound to work all the time.
All I can offer is my opinion backed by positive examples. It's up to you to make any conclusions and agree or disagree.

I can point out that diplomacy was ineffective when it came in dealing with Adolf Hitler's extermination of the Jewish people
Schindler's List. Is that not a proof of a diplomatic solution?

and that it also doesn't work with religious extremist terrorist groups; yet, mere examples of its success or failure are not practical to the matter.
Wasn't there a time when both Saddam and Bin Laden were US friends? Point is, there are plenty examples, both positive and negative, demonstrating strength and weaknesses of each method. Neither one is the best, but diplomacy is far from being an exaggerated solution.

Even if your statement above was relevant, it still missed the point that violence is a means to an end which is used much more often than negotiation; and that more people are likely to engage in violent acts than in peaceful ones.
Do you have statistics readily available that make your opinion a fact?

And if the NPC does not accept any kind of negotiation, than its naive to think that my PC should be able to pull it off regardless.
Like I said before, diplomacy is more then just talking politely to every person.

Then again, this wasn't my complain; my complain was against your idea that a diplomatic solution should exist at every turn.
I still believe that if a violent solution should exist at every turn, so should a diplomatic one. Don't really see anything wrong with that.

Your recurrent use of attacks on someone's character, when they are unfounded and irrelevant, then conveniently backpeddling out of the statement, is what needs to stop, frankly.
I agree on the attacking thing, but I've never backed out of an argument. Besides, you weren't a perfect gentleman either, so like I said, let's continue the conversation without insults and attacks. It's fun but pointless.

But why should i be able to convince NPCs everytime i might be heading towards a combat situation? What makes you think your PC would be able to sit down, have a chat and drink some tea with a fervent religious fanatic who is adamant about his ideals and goals, has nothing to lose and doesn't care for material gains? Thats what makes the difference.
Things are usually very complex. A single religious fanatic is not really a threat to anybody and your PC can safely bypass him. A religious fanatic who leads an army for example is a different matter. He has allies, he needs supplies, he has enemies who according to the saying are your friends, he has lieutenants who must carry out his orders as he can't do everything himself, some of these lesser ones could be bought, others could have weakneses that could be exploited (what No2 doesn't dream of becoming the No1?), etc.

Not only that, why should i expect that my choice of skills will automatically have to give me full chances of success in the gameworld?
Well, you do expect that when you pick a combat skill, don't you?

Why should i expect that taking a certain skill will give me as much success as taking some other?
Why not? You are ok with the fact that specializing in ranged or magic gives you the same success as specializing in melee. It's logical to add a few more.

Each skill has its own place in the gameworld, and i don't see bad design in it.
You would if you'd played a game as a mage only to find out that only a melee character can beat the final boss.

I have thought about it, and this was your fallacy. You are under the assumption that, since a certain game genre sports an often ludicrous handling of its concept and premise - in this case, that a lone hero can overcome impossible odds, or can do, storywise, deeds of herculean proportions - then all following elements of the game must also be ludicrous, or that they must be exempt of a certain logic behind them. That's very bad reasoning there. Have you thought about it?
I have, and honestly I don't see any flaws in my reasoning. I'm not saying that if one element is ludicrous then all the others should be ludicrous as well. I'm saying that if an assumption is made in one case, similar assumptions should be made in all similar cases to maintain integrity.

Arguable? Forcing people to do things the only way is always a bad design.
And you're a reference in game design?
Just an opinion that is supported by a truckload of arguments

Would you consider an NPC to be easilly manipulated to possess a good personality? Or would you instead consider that an NPC, which has strong foundations to back up his (unwavering) reasoning, is a worse personality? Note that, if you're creating a character, then what you decide the character to be in the gameworld has to be logical. If you create a bloodthirsty psycopath, then he has to be a bloodthirsty psycopath, and his personality has to be fleshed out accordingly. In this case, it's quite naive to think you could use reasoning with such a character.
You keep ignoring my point that diplomacy is not only talking to a character and convincing everybody that you're right. Diplomacy is a lot of things. Sure, not everyone could agree that you are right, but he could be forced, fooled, manipulated, framed, blackmailed, etc.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
All I can offer is my opinion backed by positive examples. It's up to you to make any conclusions and agree or disagree.

(...)Point is, there are plenty examples, both positive and negative, demonstrating strength and weaknesses of each method. Neither one is the best, but diplomacy is far from being an exaggerated solution.

That's not the issue. That you can present backed up examples that it works is the same as me presenting backed up examples that it doesn't - it's ultimately innefective. You set the precedent to bury your own argument by assuming one would accept diplomacy as a viable solution by just presenting successful examples of it. This opens a precedent to judge it as it was an element of a meritocracy, and obviously, in the same way, i can present unsuccessful examples of its workings and expect it to be considered a faulty solution. Of course, not only does this leads us nowhere, it also was neither the issue, nor my point, because i never questioned that diplomacy works; merely that it doesn't work on some ocasions. You, however, merely deconstructed my opinion that diplomacy isn't always the answer to events that escape our control, and rebuild it into something else.

Do you have statistics readily available that make your opinion a fact?

That hardly calls for statistics. That violence is more used than diplomacy isn't exactly a newsflash, unless you're oblivious to world events (such as civil conflict, world wars, terrorist factions and their actions), social behaviour (such as domestic violence, ethnic violence/racism) and the numerous reports of groups dedicated to violence prevention (not forgetting the number of groups themselves).

Like I said before, diplomacy is more then just talking politely to every person.

This was never at stake from my part, neither did i implied otherwise.

I still believe that if a violent solution should exist at every turn, so should a diplomatic one. Don't really see anything wrong with that.

If you can't see anything wrong with it, well, it's your prerogative, but it remains as an overly simplistic and narrow-minded view of it. For a situation to be solved using diplomatic means you should have some control over the situation, and some knowledge of it. For some situations to be solved in a diplomatic fashion, you'd need a certain degree of control over the them, and you're bound to find yourself in situations which might prove unsolvable in a diplomatic way. This isn't particularly difficult to grasp; solving a potentially violent situation involves factors ranging from who you're dealing with, to getting what the person wants. There can arise situations where no solution - aside violence - is possible.

A game example would be the The Five Bhaalspawn in Throne of Bhaal. They are an example of this, wheter one likes the game or not. They have fought over control, decimated their brethren to have no opposition, their helpers are loyalists, and any kind of diplomacy is useless, because you have no means of control over the situation. Nothing you can offer them is of their interest, and they do not care for any negotiation.

In context this qualifies as determined NPCs, with valid goals. I suspect however, that to you, they're 'badly designed'.

I agree on the attacking thing, but I've never backed out of an argument.

Actually, it's the second time you come up with my would-be "changing of opinions on the fly", yet, backtrack on the statement or remain silent, without ever pointing out something conclusive. Which leads me to think you're just desperately grasping for straws, or you're likely misinterpreting something i did (or perhaps didn't).

Besides, you weren't a perfect gentleman either

While it's certainly no excuse, I usually only treat others as they treat me, so any behaviour back there which would be considered socially unaccepted towards you was merely a reaction.

so like I said, let's continue the conversation without insults and attacks.

Agreed.

Things are usually very complex.

They're only as complex as one makes them out to be.

A single religious fanatic is not really a threat to anybody and your PC can safely bypass him.

What makes you assume this is true? Why shouldn't he be a danger in context?

A religious fanatic who leads an army for example is a different matter. He has allies, he needs supplies, he has enemies who according to the saying are your friends, he has lieutenants who must carry out his orders as he can't do everything himself, some of these lesser ones could be bought, others could have weakneses that could be exploited (what No2 doesn't dream of becoming the No1?), etc.

Again, the situation is only as complex as one makes it out to be. Your situation has several elements which could provide other means of bypassing the problem without violence, but you assume that every situation would be like this when it's not. Some situations are black and white, and a person can't always solve them the diplomatic way.

I believe the problem here stems from your fixation on believing that every situation has to be overly complex just for the hell of including gameplay options you like, when in fact, it doesn't. Situations in a game, just as in life, can be very simple and impossible to solve as we wish.

Well, you do expect that when you pick a combat skill, don't you?

Every skill has its own rate of use and success, and its foolhardy to expect every skill to provide the same level of opportunity of use and success rate. Combat will provide more success and more chances of use because there is more of it in the gameworld; there are more opportunities to use it in the gameworld, and more NPCs are more receptive to it. Diplomacy will fit its own situations and provide different rates of success and of opportunity. Why would all skills have the same rate and opportunity of use, egotistical reasons aside?

Why not? You are ok with the fact that specializing in ranged or magic gives you the same success as specializing in melee. It's logical to add a few more.

No, it doesn't give the same success, because they are different.

You would if you'd played a game as a mage only to find out that only a melee character can beat the final boss.

And this relates to the matter how? I'm talking of how each skill has its own place in a gameworld, and of how each has their own rate of success and logical situation that justifies its use, and as such, that its logical to expect that each behaves differently; not of a situation where a logical skill is neglected. That each has their own space and time is actually quite logical and doesn't warrant the label of 'bad design'.

I have, and honestly I don't see any flaws in my reasoning. I'm not saying that if one element is ludicrous then all the others should be ludicrous as well. I'm saying that if an assumption is made in one case, similar assumptions should be made in all similar cases to maintain integrity.

Which ends up leading to the same. I see very little integrity being maintained in that line of reasoning, myself. You're assuming that the usual handling of a game's premise is on the same level as an ingame handling of a skill, and therefore, can be comparable, and liable to be subject to the same kind of reasoning. What is the precedent for this? Why should this subsequent element breaksdown and comparison happen?

Just an opinion that is supported by a truckload of arguments

Actually, it can't, because your definition, much like the rest of your speech, is onesided and narrow-minded, and like the efficiency of diplomacy argument you tried to pass off, it's likely to backfire. By your very personal logic, one can assume you believe that Planescape: Torment is filled with bad design ideas, when in fact, they might work perfectly well under its framework. And in this case, the problem is not with the game, but with you.

You keep ignoring my point that diplomacy is not only talking to a character and convincing everybody that you're right. Diplomacy is a lot of things.

Oh yes, i'm ignoring it. That must be why i agreed with Psilon when he said there was more to diplomacy than simple dialogue. :roll:

Less assumptions and more attention, please.

Sure, not everyone could agree that you are right, but he could be forced, fooled, manipulated, framed, blackmailed, etc.

That an NPC could be manipulated in a lot of ways is obvious; that *every* NPC under *every* circumstance can be manipulated in a variety of ways is a different matter (and wishful thinking).

Vault Dweller

Developer
Psilon said:
I don't know about Vault Dweller, but I don't see diplomatic solutions as nothing but non-combat rhetoric.
I absolutely agree. After all, diplomacy, according to one of the definitions, is a "skill in handling affairs without arousing hostility". Traditionally, diplomats are associated not with smooth talking but with manipulating, plotting, and under-the-table deal making.

Saint_Proverbius said:
Some men, you just can't reach. That's true. However, there are other ways of diplomatically dealing with situations like that. Imagine having a talk with that person's superior or a family member or some person that can reach them. If there's nothing in the scenario that fits the above, you can always do the enemy of an enemy thing because there's no such thing as an aggressive bad ass that hasn't pissed someone off.
Precisely. Here is a real life story that should be familiar to many. I called to my bank to have my credit limit increased. The customer service rep reassured me that there is absolutely no way my request could be granted. I talked to her manager, and then to the manager of her manager, and then the rep was more then happy to help me.

Taoreich said:
I suppose that the problem in Columbine was that the impacted students did not have a high enough persuade skill, or did not have any "potioins of Eagle's Splendor" else they would have been able to talk their way to safety.
I didn't see them fighting their way out either.

Similarly in Waco w/ Mnsr Kouresh and the FBI.
The accounts are not very clear there, so it's hard to use that as an example. Regardles, we are talking about game design here. There is no doubt that there are real situation where neither combat nor peaceful skills could help. That's life. The situations in RPGs are different, they are designed to allow at least one way of resolving them. Overall, I think that from RL point of view, killing everyone is much more unrealistic then finding some sort of a peaceful solution.

Dhruin said:
Brief interlude and you guys can go back to it: it doesn't seem realistic to me to have a diplomatic route every time. Surely there are people and situations that can't be talked around, just as there probably should be situations that can't be fought through.
Here is a situation from a game that I'm working on. You are asked to free a noble, captured by bandits. Naturally you can go and try to kill everyone, but what if killing is not your thing? It's not that you dislike it, you are just not good enough at it. You can talk to them and ask what they want. They want money. They don't want to hear anything else. You go back to the Noble house that sent you and ask for money. If you are exceptionally convincing, they give you the money. If not, you should seek other ways. You can bribe or intimidate one of the lesser bandits. You can turn to the official underworld and negotiate with them pointing out that random bandits are bad for business. They'd sent some thugs to handle the problem. You can also go to the guards, although the price for their help is more then you're likely willing to pay, and I don't mean money. You can even get the ransom, then take one of the non-paying ways and keep the money.

So, there you go. You have a quest but you don't have the skills. Should you turn it down and mark it as a class-based or should you try to apply your existing skills, whatever they are, and figure out what your character can do in that situation. Maybe nothing, maybe something.

Taoreich

Liturgist
Perhaps your final example is the clue to the disconnect. If that epitomizes your concerns then it seems that "scenario" in your argument takes a very macro view whereas I think others' (certainly my own) were focusing on the micro level.

I'm sure that we can all agree that there numerous one on one situations where there is a simple choice of "fight or die," no (This is with the disclaimer that the option to attempt to flee is avoidance--as opposed to actually resolution-- and may still end in death if you are caught trying to run)? Again the challenge is to the developer inmaking that scenario plausible, as opposed to gratuitous.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Taoreich said:
Perhaps your final example is the clue to the disconnect. If that epitomizes your concerns then it seems that "scenario" in your argument takes a very macro view whereas I think others' (certainly my own) were focusing on the micro level.
That depends on how it's implemented. If a game throws at you random encounters and ambushes every now and then, it's silly to expect that you can find some good reasons why they should live you alone. In such cases you should be able to run, sneak, spot them in advance and avoid, and if everything else fails, they can simply rob you and leave you there. Not every encounter should end up with you being dead.

Take famous explorers, for example, like Marco Polo who travelled through many bandit-ridden areas by his own accounts (he claimed friendship with Kublai Khan in many cases to avoid hostilities) and Richard Burton who spoke 25 languages (40 with dialects) and was able to impersonate native speakers in many regions. He was working as an undercover agent in India, then travelled in Africa, Asia, and South America. He was the first westerner who has entered Muslims forbidden cities of Mecca and Harar and lived to tell the tale. Surely they've had more then a fair share of hostile encounters, yet were able to survive and continue travelling each in his own way. That's history, not an implausible story

Vault Dweller

Developer
Role-Player said:
That you can present backed up examples that it works is the same as me presenting backed up examples that it doesn't
Nope, sorry, doesn't work that way. My point was that diplomacy could work all the time, your point basically was that it couldn't. Since we are talking about games and not real life, all I had to do was to find some colourful examples that went beyond "simple conversations" to prove that it's technically possible. Richard Burton is a great example, don't you think? One could easily make a wild RPG based on his life where you'd have to rely only on different diplomatic solutions.

in the same way, i can present unsuccessful examples of its workings and expect it to be considered a faulty solution.
Let me put it to you this way, suppose we're having a discussion about some human statistic, like memory. If I manage to present several gifted individuals that would prove that humans, at least some of them, are able to be as good as the selected ones are. Considering that in RPGs we usually play a champion, who most often specilaizes in his field, and succeeds where many others fail, then it's easy to assume that your character is the best and the brightest, at least at what he's good at. Unsuccessfull examples would only show that some individuals are stupid, but we already know that.

That hardly calls for statistics. That violence is more used than diplomacy isn't exactly a newsflash, unless you're oblivious to world events (such as civil conflict, world wars, terrorist factions and their actions), social behaviour (such as domestic violence, ethnic violence/racism) and the numerous reports of groups dedicated to violence prevention (not forgetting the number of groups themselves).
I never disputed the fact that violence exists. I disagree with your assumption that it's used more often then diplomacy. How many Arab countries strongly dislike USA? How many are at war with US? What percentage of anti-american muslims are actively engaging in violent acts?

For a situation to be solved using diplomatic means you should have some control over the situation, and some knowledge of it.
Why? All you need to do is to figure out who's interested in what and apply some pressure there. In most cases, simple knowledge of human nature would do.

This isn't particularly difficult to grasp; solving a potentially violent situation involves factors ranging from who you're dealing with, to getting what the person wants. There can arise situations where no solution - aside violence - is possible.
And there could be many situations where violence is useless, yet in games we consider only those situation that we believe could be resolved through violence. Same could apply to diplomacy as easily if not easier. See examples in my post above.

A game example would be the The Five Bhaalspawn in Throne of Bhaal. They are an example of this, wheter one likes the game or not. They have fought over control, decimated their brethren to have no opposition, their helpers are loyalists, and any kind of diplomacy is useless, because you have no means of control over the situation. Nothing you can offer them is of their interest, and they do not care for any negotiation.
First of all, that was a crappy expansion, shame on you for bringing that up. Second, it was a dnd game, as in "focused on combat" game. It was never designed to have equal skills. Third, you couldn't manipulate them, but that chick was doing a fine job there, don't you think? Bad example, no points for you. :)

Actually, it's the second time you come up with my would-be "changing of opinions on the fly", yet, backtrack on the statement or remain silent, without ever pointing out something conclusive. Which leads me to think you're just desperately grasping for straws, or you're likely misinterpreting something i did (or perhaps didn't).
Or didn't want to blow it out of proportions. We were having several discussions when we started this one. My remark was in reference to one of these discussions. Don't make a big deal out of it. I didn't ask you to back up some of your own personal attacks realizing that it's a natural part of a healthy discussion :)

While it's certainly no excuse, I usually only treat others as they treat me, so any behaviour back there which would be considered socially unaccepted towards you was merely a reaction.
Fair enough.

What makes you assume this is true? Why shouldn't he be a danger in context?
Why should my character be forced to deal with a lone violent guy who doesn't represent any organization, doesn't answer to anybody, has nothing that somebody else may want, and is a threat only to my character? He could be easily bypassed. If you disagree, give me an example.

I believe the problem here stems from your fixation on believing that every situation has to be overly complex just for the hell of including gameplay options you like, when in fact, it doesn't. Situations in a game, just as in life, can be very simple and impossible to solve as we wish.
My beliefs come from a personal experience which doesn't mean that I'm right but does explain where I'm coming from. People are like a card house, everything is connected, one little thing could affect an entire structure. Take former USSR for example, who would have thought that one guy would be able to bring the whole thing down, peacefully, mind you.

Combat will provide more success and more chances of use because there is more of it in the gameworld; there are more opportunities to use it in the gameworld, and more NPCs are more receptive to it.
PST was a rather peaceful game overall, don't you think? Don't know about you but I didn't feel that there were more opportunities to use combat then to talk to somebody. If anything, I felt that the combat was forced like when Ravel attacks you or the levelling up areas and creatures.

Diplomacy will fit its own situations and provide different rates of success and of opportunity. Why would all skills have the same rate and opportunity of use, egotistical reasons aside?
To give you a choice which is never a bad thing. If you feel that you must use combat every now and then, it's up to you. If somebody else wants to do without it, they should have that choice, imo. Why? Because it's realistic. My examples certainly prove that.

It doesn't? So I can never beat a game as a solo mage or an archer?

I'm talking of how each skill has its own place in a gameworld, and of how each has their own rate of success and logical situation that justifies its use, and as such, that its logical to expect that each behaves differently
Of course, they do behave differently, that;s not an issue. The issue is that some work all the time and some don't.

You're assuming that the usual handling of a game's premise is on the same level as an ingame handling of a skill, and therefore, can be comparable, and liable to be subject to the same kind of reasoning. What is the precedent for this? Why should this subsequent element breaksdown and comparison happen?
Since a game's premise is based on elevating one group of skills to "auto success" level, I don't see why another group of skills could not get the same status, under the same premise, for the sake of diversity and choice. The main question is "would gameplay suffer?" I don't think so. Do you?

Actually, it can't, because your definition, much like the rest of your speech, is onesided and narrow-minded
Funny, I feel the same way about your position.

By your very personal logic, one can assume you believe that Planescape: Torment is filled with bad design ideas, when in fact, they might work perfectly well under its framework.
PST had a lot of peaceful solutions, actually, and it had different endings if you remember. Overall, there are systems that are focused on combat like D2 and DnD. It's silly to expect something else. So, no, no "bad design" there, sorry to dissapoint you.

You keep ignoring my point that diplomacy is not only talking to a character and convincing everybody that you're right. Diplomacy is a lot of things.
Oh yes, i'm ignoring it. That must be why i agreed with Psilon when he said there was more to diplomacy than simple dialogue. :roll:
That was in direct reply to "it's quite naive to think you could use reasoning with such a character", not to your conversation with Psilon.

That an NPC could be manipulated in a lot of ways is obvious; that *every* NPC under *every* circumstance can be manipulated in a variety of ways is a different matter (and wishful thinking).
A single NPC could prove to be a challenging and maybe even impossible task. A single NPC, however, is not an unavoidable threat. An NPC who is a part of a system ( temple, army, cult, bandit group, underworld, monastery) is a different matter. At this moment you're not dealing with NPCs, you're dealing with a system which is basically a chain, and a chain as we know is only as strong as its weakest link. An experienced diplomat would be able to find such a link easily and exploit it to get what he needs.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Nope, sorry, doesn't work that way. My point was that diplomacy could work all the time, your point basically was that it couldn't. Since we are talking about games and not real life, all I had to do was to find some colourful examples that went beyond "simple conversations" to prove that it's technically possible. Richard Burton is a great example, don't you think? One could easily make a wild RPG based on his life where you'd have to rely only on different diplomatic solutions.

Sorry, but it does work that way. What have you proven, exactly? That under certain circumstances, diplomacy works. Which i've agreed with in the past. But you haven't proven it can work all the time, under all situations. Only taking successful examples into consideration as ultimate proof doesn't constitute any kind of proof, it only ends up being a relativist point, not an objective one.

Let me put it to you this way, suppose we're having a discussion about some human statistic, like memory. If I manage to present several gifted individuals that would prove that humans, at least some of them, are able to be as good as the selected ones are. Considering that in RPGs we usually play a champion, who most often specilaizes in his field, and succeeds where many others fail, then it's easy to assume that your character is the best and the brightest, at least at what he's good at. Unsuccessfull examples would only show that some individuals are stupid, but we already know that.

And? How many times has your character, the best, last hope for his gameworld, met with circumstances he couldn't handle immediately, or that escaped his control? You assume that someone who is highly proficient with a certain skill would be able to use to overcome all obstacles that depended on said skill, when this might not be the case every time.

I never disputed the fact that violence exists. I disagree with your assumption that it's used more often then diplomacy.

As i also disagreed with the assumption that diplomacy should work all the time.

How many Arab countries strongly dislike USA? How many are at war with US? What percentage of anti-american muslims are actively engaging in violent acts?

This gives an idea of the overal attitude towards the USA. As for the percentage of anti-american muslims actively engaging in violent acts, i don't have a number. Do you know?

Why? All you need to do is to figure out who's interested in what and apply some pressure there. In most cases, simple knowledge of human nature would do.

In most cases? Perhaps. In all? No.

And there could be many situations where violence is useless, yet in games we consider only those situation that we believe could be resolved through violence. Same could apply to diplomacy as easily if not easier. See examples in my post above.

I didn't disputed that violence would be useless in some situations; rather, that violence, as a means to an end, is used more often than diplomacy, even in game worlds, by NPCs.

First of all, that was a crappy expansion, shame on you for bringing that up. Second, it was a dnd game, as in "focused on combat" game. It was never designed to have equal skills.

Equal skills wasn't quite my point, unless you were addressing the part where i state that 'my kind of diplomacy is useless', to which i should point out that on several ocasions - admitedly not as much as i would've liked - there were some.

Third, you couldn't manipulate them, but that chick was doing a fine job there, don't you think? Bad example, no points for you. :smile:

Indeed, she could manipulate them. And why? Because she had power. Because she had knowledge, specially over the entire situation, something the Five did not, and something the PC almost had none of. She had everything in her possession to succeed in How could you negotiate if you didn't knew all the sides of the situation, and you could offer them nothing you had - except your death? The only time you start to gain knowledge over the situation is in the last parts of the story arc, with Balthazar explaining that Melissan is the one behind it all.

Even the lone monk illustrates my point of somone who has a mission to carry out and will stop at nothing. They illustrate my point quite well. That you don't like the example is a different thing.

Or didn't want to blow it out of proportions. We were having several discussions when we started this one. My remark was in reference to one of these discussions. Don't make a big deal out of it.

Well, in the 'several' discussions we were having simultaneously i didn't "changed my point of view on the fly". Care to be more specific?

I didn't ask you to back up some of your own personal attacks realizing that it's a natural part of a healthy discussion :smile:

Well, its not that backing them up would be that difficult; providing quotes wouldn't be troublesome in the least.

But all in all, its not about making a big deal out of it. Its trying to make sure the same kind of unjustified and unfounded personal attacks don't pollute future conversations we might have.

Why should my character be forced to deal with a lone violent guy who doesn't represent any organization, doesn't answer to anybody, has nothing that somebody else may want, and is a threat only to my character? He could be easily bypassed. If you disagree, give me an example.

For you to dismiss it? Note that I'm asking this not because i can't give an example, but you have a tendency to disregard any example i make (followed by picking up on said example, over-complicate it, then provide multiple solutions to it, and believing your version of the example is the superior way). The initial example i gave assumed the NPC would be between the PC and the PCs goal and could not be dealt with via diplomacy. You dismiss it, re-use its basic premise, erected conditions -and solutions to those conditions - around it so they could fit your example. Unsurprisingly, according to you, my example doesn't cut it for validation of my point; your example validates yours. Again, relativism.

My beliefs come from a personal experience which doesn't mean that I'm right but does explain where I'm coming from. People are like a card house, everything is connected, one little thing could affect an entire structure. Take former USSR for example, who would have thought that one guy would be able to bring the whole thing down, peacefully, mind you.

I'm not against your beliefs, or against accepting that your personal experience can affect how you see things. The point i'm trying to establish doesn't undo the concept of complex webs of human interaction, and it certainly doesn't reject the cause and effect principle derived of it; merely, that while no doubt there are complex situations which can provide multiple solutions (in size and scope), there are equally simple situations with very simple solutions (also in size and scope), possibly even being taken out of your hands. Perhaps this hasn't happened to you, or you've never seen this happen to others, which is possible; but if it's the case, its not reason enough to dismiss it as a likely event.

PST was a rather peaceful game overall, don't you think? Don't know about you but I didn't feel that there were more opportunities to use combat then to talk to somebody. If anything, I felt that the combat was forced like when Ravel attacks you or the levelling up areas and creatures.

Actually you could use combat most everywhere, as far as i remember.

To give you a choice which is never a bad thing. If you feel that you must use combat every now and then, it's up to you. If somebody else wants to do without it, they should have that choice, imo. Why? Because it's realistic. My examples certainly prove that.

Its not very realistic to expect all skills to have the same levels and opportunities for use. They are different skills, which means different possibilities and places. Look into a given gameworld, say, Fallout 2. A skill such as, say, Repair, would be different in the afforementioned elements when compared to Throwing, or Gambling. Why should they all conform to providing the same kind of success when they're tailored for different things?

It doesn't? So I can never beat a game as a solo mage or an archer?

Re-read that part better. Different rates of success != no success at all. Not giving the same type of success != no success at all.

Of course, they do behave differently, that;s not an issue. The issue is that some work all the time and some don't.

Hence, why i've been saying it. Specially with diplomacy.

Since a game's premise is based on elevating one group of skills to "auto success" level, I don't see why another group of skills could not get the same status, under the same premise, for the sake of diversity and choice. The main question is "would gameplay suffer?" I don't think so. Do you?

Oh? I was under the impression Fallout's premise was to find the Water Chip, not just increase skills.... i might be wrong, though.

*shrug*

Anyway, your question appears to be nonsensical; apparently you're trying to suggest that there is a point in judging a game's premise and game elements - in this case, skills - in the same way, and that this would not harm gameplay. Might be the lack of decent coffee today, but i don't see sense in the question.

Funny, I feel the same way about your position.

I can't see why, honestly. I'm not using one-sided arguments to try and prove my point.

PST had a lot of peaceful solutions, actually, and it had different endings if you remember. Overall, there are systems that are focused on combat like D2 and DnD. It's silly to expect something else. So, no, no "bad design" there, sorry to dissapoint you.

The only disapointment stems from your denial in the definition you created yourself. Sorry but there's really no way to avoid it: by your definition - Forcing people to do things the only way is always a bad design - Torment fits. There are several ocasions where you are forced down one path, with no multiple ways of solving it; essentially, where you're forced to do things the only way. Also, Temple of Elemental Evil appears to suffer from the same, an example being getting the gems from the Elemental Node guardians.

Your definition appears to be badly formulated, because you automatically assume that every time you are forced to do something in a game, we're talking of bad design; although good design isn't just about providing multiple solutions to situations. Sometimes, a fixed path might make more sense when taken into context of the game, than it does being given multiple solutions. Your definition is simplistic and one dimensional to the point that i can use it to claim FO1's initial area suffers from bad design, as i'm basically forced to leave the cave out of Vault 13 the same way, every time. Yup, that's how bad the definition is.

But feel free to disagree, that's what you're here for.

That was in direct reply to "it's quite naive to think you could use reasoning with such a character", not to your conversation with Psilon.

I wasn't ignoring your point back then, only giving an example of where diplomacy methods would not work with a given type of character.

A single NPC could prove to be a challenging and maybe even impossible task. A single NPC, however, is not an unavoidable threat. An NPC who is a part of a system ( temple, army, cult, bandit group, underworld, monastery) is a different matter. At this moment you're not dealing with NPCs, you're dealing with a system which is basically a chain, and a chain as we know is only as strong as its weakest link. An experienced diplomat would be able to find such a link easily and exploit it to get what he needs.

And it took you all this time to understand this? :lol:

Even then, while that is true to an extent, you assume that dealing with a chain of command will provide you with a likely weak spot every time, and that certain groups or sects are likely to all fail prey to it. What if the group you're dealing with does not subscribe to your "perfect" scenario? This is a question you seem to want to avoid; you're only creating situations where you think, or know, diplomacy will work, but overall reject sitiuations where it would, or can, fail.

The problem with your examples is that you are making more or less the same mistake as you did with the would-be reinforcement of your argument by presenting only examples that would benefit your own side, and rejecting the possibility of your examples being specially dedicated to your side, not to the issue at hand. Like before, in the same way you can present examples that fit your side, i also can present examples that suit mine. Is this what you're aiming for? Because we can be stuck in the same cycle for the following years.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Role-Player said:
What have you proven, exactly? That under certain circumstances, diplomacy works. Which i've agreed with in the past. But you haven't proven it can work all the time, under all situations. Only taking successful examples into consideration as ultimate proof doesn't constitute any kind of proof, it only ends up being a relativist point, not an objective one.
I'm not taking some successful examples, I'm taking extreme successful examples: Talleyrand, Polo, Burton, etc. Don't forget we are talking about specific situations in games, not some general abstract. We can rate these situations where a simple "let me pass through this gate" conversation is 1 and a very complex "stop this evil dude plans" is 10. I think that by supplying some 10-rated examples I can demonstrate that a highly skilled individual (an equivalent of a game hero) can theoretically handle anything from 1 to 10 in a believable manner. Your unsuccessful examples, on the other hand, serve no purpose as they don’t dispute my facts but merely show that some people lack diplomatic skills which I never disputed. Think about my examples, think about Marco Polo and what he did, he travelled to unknown lands, often alone, he could have been killed thousand times according to your understanding of the ways of the world, but wasn't. Think of Napoleon who after his return from Elba who used his charisma to advance to Paris without fighting and expending his small army. In fact everyone who the KIng sent to deal with Napoleon, he convinced to join him. He started with 600 soldiers and ended up with 200,000+. Marshal Ney promised the King that he would bring Napoleon in an iron cage, he met the Emperor, they talked and he joined his side. If these and my prev examples don't prove that everything is possible, then there is nothing else I can say.

You assume that someone who is highly proficient with a certain skill would be able to use to overcome all obstacles that depended on said skill, when this might not be the case every time.
We are already making assumptions that "someone who is highly proficient with a certain skill would be able to use it to overcome all obstacles that depended on said skill" although "this might not be the case every time". If anything, the way of violence is less believable because realistically you can't kill everyone who stands in your way. You can't slaughter entire towns, castles, dungeons, and dragons all by yourself. We make assumptions. Game designers make assumptions, making sure that you can always handle it. Remember the two "assasins" at the beginning of BG1? Remember that "military base" in Fallout guarded by a few lousy mutants? So point is, it's no big deal to make another assumptions since we've already made a less believable one.

How many Arab countries strongly dislike USA? How many are at war with US? What percentage of anti-american muslims are actively engaging in violent acts?
This gives an idea of the overal attitude towards the USA….
It does, thanks you. “True dislike, if not hatred, of America is concentrated in the Muslim nations of the Middle East and in Central Asia”

As for the percentage of anti-american muslims actively engaging in violent acts, i don't have a number. Do you know?
No, but it’s not that hard to figure out. The population of the “Muslim nations of the Middle East and in Central Asia” is around a billion. The number of those who are actively engaging is about 10-50,000 maximum. The percentage would be 0.01%.

I didn't disputed that violence would be useless in some situations; rather, that violence, as a means to an end, is used more often than diplomacy, even in game worlds, by NPCs.
What percentage of your problems you resolved through violence? Do you have a habit of shooting at cops who stop you for speeding? How many government officials have you personally beaten for various offences? Creditors? Insurance agents? Tax collectors? Lawyers? Seriously. Just think about it, people are forced to deal with problems all the time: ranging from family issues to banks taking over your house. If what you say is true, our cities would look like something from the wild west movies. The fact that they don’t prove you wrong.

Because she had knowledge, specially over the entire situation, something the Five did not, and something the PC almost had none of.
If she could learn all that, so could my character, if the game was designed differently. As it was, the focus of the game was killing stuff, so no learning was necessary. Under different circumstances, the PC could have learned of the five, and then decided what approach to take: charge or try to figure things out first. It wouldn't have taken a genius to understand that there is somebody else running the show, learn how she manipulated the five, and counteract it with manipulations of your own. A person who is already listening to somebody, will listen to somebody else is the words are right.

Even the lone monk illustrates my point of somone who has a mission to carry out and will stop at nothing. They illustrate my point quite well.
No, it doesn't. First of all, what mission? Who gave it to him or why did he decide to do it? Does he belong to any monastery or group? How exactly does his mission interfere with the PC? Is there anyone he cares about, would listen to? Who delivers his supplies? Is there a town/settlement nearby? Answer these questions if you want to play.

Care to be more specific?
If you insist: http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4043

For you to dismiss it?
For me to see how good it backs up your arguments.

Note that I'm asking this not because i can't give an example, but you have a tendency to disregard any example i make (followed by picking up on said example, over-complicate it, then provide multiple solutions to it, and believing your version of the example is the superior way).
Superior? Hardly. The one that better serves the role-playing part of a game? Possibly.

The initial example i gave assumed the NPC would be between the PC and the PCs goal and could not be dealt with via diplomacy. You dismiss it, re-use its basic premise, erected conditions -and solutions to those conditions - around it so they could fit your example. Unsurprisingly, according to you, my example doesn't cut it for validation of my point; your example validates yours.
Your example, if I'm not mistaken was: "What makes you think your PC would be able to sit down, have a chat and drink some tea with a fervent religious fanatic who is adamant about his ideals and goals, has nothing to lose and doesn't care for material gains?" That's too vague. It doesn't tell me anything of a situation, hence my questions above.

Actually you could use combat most everywhere, as far as i remember.
That’s not the point, the point is that you could use diplomacy a lot if you wanted to, and with some easy tweaks you could have played the entire game without attacking anybody. Would that have made it a terrible and unrealistic game? No. That’s the point.

Its not very realistic to expect all skills to have the same levels and opportunities for use. They are different skills, which means different possibilities and places. Look into a given gameworld, say, Fallout 2. A skill such as, say, Repair, would be different in the afforementioned elements when compared to Throwing, or Gambling. Why should they all conform to providing the same kind of success when they're tailored for different things?
A single skill, maybe. A group of skills, i.e. thieving, diplomatic, scientific, etc should be good enough to get you through a game. They wouldn’t have the same opportunities, but the same success level, i.e. a fighter would fight his way through a gate, a thief would pick the lock during the night or steal a pass, a diplomat would talk his way through or talk to somebody who’d give him the pass, etc.

Oh? I was under the impression Fallout's premise was to find the Water Chip, not just increase skills.... i might be wrong, though.
And did that premise include specific instruction like kill everyone? My comment was in regard to games where premises force you to a stick with a certain way of doing things.

Anyway, your question appears to be nonsensical; apparently you're trying to suggest that there is a point in judging a game's premise and game elements - in this case, skills - in the same way, and that this would not harm gameplay. Might be the lack of decent coffee today, but i don't see sense in the question.
Just answer it.

I can't see why, honestly. I'm not using one-sided arguments to try and prove my point.
No, you’re using an unsupported belief that violence is everyone’s favourite, and often the only solution, and thus should be the only proper way through a game.

Sorry but there's really no way to avoid it: by your definition - Forcing people to do things the only way is always a bad design - Torment fits. There are several ocasions where you are forced down one path, with no multiple ways of solving it; essentially, where you're forced to do things the only way. Also, Temple of Elemental Evil appears to suffer from the same, an example being getting the gems from the Elemental Node guardians.
Good one, ok, consider PST an exception then, as every rule has them. Honestly, I just can’t use PST and “bad design” in one sentence. As for ToEE, it’s a hack-n-slash game, just like the IWDs, the Diablos, etc. They were never designed to be fully blown RPGs like Fallout and Arcanum.

Your definition appears to be badly formulated, because you automatically assume that every time you are forced to do something in a game, we're talking of bad design
What’s bad about it? Short and sweet.

Your definition is simplistic and one dimensional to the point that i can use it to claim FO1's initial area suffers from bad design, as i'm basically forced to leave the cave out of Vault 13 the same way, every time. Yup, that's how bad the definition is.
Doesn’t count. That wasn’t a situation to be resolved, and it didn’t require any skills to use. I wasn’t forced to do anything, that’s how the game starts.

Even then, while that is true to an extent, you assume that dealing with a chain of command will provide you with a likely weak spot every time, and that certain groups or sects are likely to all fail prey to it. What if the group you're dealing with does not subscribe to your "perfect" scenario? This is a question you seem to want to avoid; you're only creating situations where you think, or know, diplomacy will work, but overall reject sitiuations where it would, or can, fail.
I didn’t say chain of command, I said chain as in chain with weak links. It could take different forms, naturally. As for your comment, I don’t believe that there could be a perfect organization. People are flawed, that’s their nature. The flaws expand tenfold in an organization, affecting everyone. Remember Compaq?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
I'm not taking some successful examples, I'm taking extreme successful examples: Talleyrand, Polo, Burton, etc. Don't forget we are talking about specific situations in games, not some general abstract. We can rate these situations where a simple "let me pass through this gate" conversation is 1 and a very complex "stop this evil dude plans" is 10. I think that by supplying some 10-rated examples I can demonstrate that a highly skilled individual (an equivalent of a game hero) can theoretically handle anything from 1 to 10 in a believable manner.

And while those examples are no doubt very good, you're forgetting there were situations where the people you are using as an example did not managed to succeed in their use of diplomacy. For instance, Napoleon failed to convince Alexander I of Russia in joining him against the British. Talleyrand was sent to Great Britain in an effort to try and stop war, but failed; and there are accounts of his diplomacy decreasing in power and effectiveness after Napoleon's defeat in 1815. In Somali, Burton was powerless as he and his group could not avoid combat against some tribes (and he was terribly scared as a consequence of one of those). I seem to recall something about him being ultimately powerless in dealing with some other tribe and having been captured. Burton was also expelled from Oxford University for having challenged an associate to a duel (uh-oh, violence ahoy, matey!), after the associate had mocked his moustache (!). Apparently, he didn't felt like bribing, convincing, dissuading, etc, the poor fellow. His belligerent attitude in Damascus made it so he was transfered to Trieste. And how many times was Marco Polo faced with skirmishes in his travels, skirmishes which were unavoidable by diplomatic means?

And how many events were they unable to bypass diplomatically which are unknown to us?

Its undeniable that they were very good, but its also undeniable that no matter how good they were, certain events had a scope and background which escaped their power, and their diplomatic prowess was ineffective (or in the case of Burton, considered that violence had its place, sometimes above diplomacy).

Your unsuccessful examples, on the other hand, serve no purpose as they don’t dispute my facts but merely show that some people lack diplomatic skills which I never disputed.

Your examples show people who are experts at diplomacy, yet, also failed to use it in some events. Which obviously, does not mean they lacked diplomatic skills, as anyone can see.

If these and my prev examples don't prove that everything is possible, then there is nothing else I can say.

On a similar note, I'd also say that, if after my simple presentation of situations where the diplomatic skills were insufficient even for those expertly wielding it, you still believe that diplomacy is possible to work in every situation, then i don't think there's much of a point to the conversation, because quite frankly its becoming a bore to point something which is clear to pretty much everyone except you.

We are already making assumptions that "someone who is highly proficient with a certain skill would be able to use it to overcome all obstacles that depended on said skill" although "this might not be the case every time". If anything, the way of violence is less believable because realistically you can't kill everyone who stands in your way.

Which doesn't stop people from being violent. And realistically, it would appear one also can't diplomatically handle everyone and everything that stands in their way, specially taken the examples above into consideration. If you want to look at violence realistically, however, its a method which, due to its ease of use and the quick ending it brings to a problem, would make sense being used more often. Although as i said, ultimately none of the situations is the "be all, end all" in terms of problem solving. Violence is just likely to be more present.

That doesn't qualify, sorry. I didn't change my opinion, neither "on the fly", neither in the long run. In fact, i maintained my position - and still do - but it was you who assumed that i had changed it.

No, it doesn't.

Sorry, but it does.

First of all, what mission? Who gave it to him or why did he decide to do it?

The mission, self given, was to wipe out the taint of Bhaal by killing every other living Bhaalspawn, then after he made sure every last one of them was dead, to kill himself trough a ritual suicide so the taint would disappear forever.

Does he belong to any monastery or group?

He used to belong to the Five. And had his own monastic order, and none of his associates, wheter soldiers or monks, betray him, and fight to the death for him.

How exactly does his mission interfere with the PC?

Read above.

Is there anyone he cares about, would listen to?

In the past he took the advice of the Five and Melissan, but later cut those ties, not listening to anyone else.

Who delivers his supplies? Is there a town/settlement nearby?

IIRC, one of the people that handled it was Saemon Havarian, the rest were simple merchants, or even the monks.

Also, his monastery is located inside Amkethran.

Answer these questions if you want to play.

I was already "playing" before you made these questions, thank you very much; which honestly, seem more like an excuse for me to remind you of the game so you don't have to replay it. Of course the situation may be that you didn't know them at all. But if you did, then there wasn't a point in asking me the questions. Well, except making me lose my time, that is.

Regardless, in the end, yes, the monk's example does fit what i've been saying.

What percentage of your problems you resolved through violence?

A small one. Curiously, in circumstances where diplomatic attempts were fruitless.

Do you have a habit of shooting at cops who stop you for speeding? How many government officials have you personally beaten for various offences? Creditors? Insurance agents? Tax collectors? Lawyers? Seriously. Just think about it, people are forced to deal with problems all the time: ranging from family issues to banks taking over your house. If what you say is true, our cities would look like something from the wild west movies. The fact that they don’t prove you wrong.

That's assuming violence is confined to gun-using, which, given your above speech, would be a correct assumption. In the same way diplomacy isn't strict use of rethoric, violence also isn't confined to shooting everything.

However, tell me how many people the world over enter emergency hospital services everyday with wounds due to robbery, brawls, police brutality, gang violence and domestic violence. Tell me how many people are the targets of phsycological violence, or of aggravated physical assaults. Tell me how many people have died in recent wars, terrorist attacks, at the hand of the death squads in Brazilian slums 'favelas', at the hand of neo-nazi groups, at the hand of radical religious groups, at the hand of racial discrimination groups or isolated racist incidents, at the hand of crossfire caused by open violence between criminal groups, at the hand of war criminals enacting mass exterminations, etc.

Hell, just an online search for "increase in violence" is usually enough to see what i'm talking of. Articles like this examplify my point.

If she could learn all that, so could my character, if the game was designed differently. As it was, the focus of the game was killing stuff, so no learning was necessary.

Copout. Thats like saying that, since the focus of a Torment was not on killing stuff, then there was no need for combat.

You can spend years complaining about how something could have been designed differently, yet, that doesn't mean that a different design applied to it would work better for the game.

Under different circumstances, the PC could have learned of the five, and then decided what approach to take: charge or try to figure things out first.

No doubt. Other people would know of the Five, and in fact, the PC is somewhat warned of the Five when in Suldanessalar. Storywise, the Five's massive slaughter is already heard of troughout Faerun before Amelyssan speaks of it. Of course, the non-violent, diplomatic approach would only work if the PC was aware of certain things, things which the PC had no way of knowing.

It wouldn't have taken a genius to understand that there is somebody else running the show, learn how she manipulated the Five, and counteract it with manipulations of your own.

Again, you're assuming that the PC would have anything that was worth negotiating over with the Five, which wasn't the case.

A person who is already listening to somebody, will listen to somebody else is the words are right.

Or if the person cares.

For me to see how good it backs up your arguments.

Like that would stop you from dismissing it.

Anyway let's see. I presented the religious zealot who only cared for his mission. He can have many roles. He can be a 'hired' assassin who believes his particualr god gave him the duty to kill you (or everyone in a given group of people, and you're part of the group) and will not be dissuaded of his goal. He could be the leader of an invading army, and while going medieval on a village you're located in, manages to corner you into a tight spot. His only single thought is to kill everyone he can.

I also presented the monk example, which unsurprisingly, despite being an example of what i talked, was dismissed.

Superior? Hardly. The one that better serves the role-playing part of a game? Possibly.

"The one that better serves the role-playing part of a game", according to you, of course. Being given diplomatic opoortunities in every situation doesn't make the game, or its roleplaying, necessarily better. The Chronicles of Ny, as an example, will not be less of a roleplaying game simply because there are events in which you won't have diplomacy resources. Just as Fallout wouldn't have been less of a roleplaying game if the Master didn't changed his mind according to what you told him.

That’s not the point, the point is that you could use diplomacy a lot if you wanted to, and with some easy tweaks you could have played the entire game without attacking anybody. Would that have made it a terrible and unrealistic game? No. That’s the point.

The point is while it possibily wouldn't have made Torment a terrible and unrealistic game, there's no way of accurately stating it would have been better just because of it, either.

A single skill, maybe. A group of skills, i.e. thieving, diplomatic, scientific, etc should be good enough to get you through a game. They wouldn’t have the same opportunities, but the same success level, i.e. a fighter would fight his way through a gate, a thief would pick the lock during the night or steal a pass, a diplomat would talk his way through or talk to somebody who’d give him the pass, etc.

I believe that a certain amount of skills when used together can be used to successfully move forward in a game, but that doesn't mean that one certain skill, or variation of the same, will have an opportunity of being used in all situations.

Just answer it.

As soon as it makes sense. Work on answering my initial point of your fallacy in assuming game premise credibility could be used in comparison with game skill credibility, then post a well formulated question, then you'll get an answer.

No, you’re using an unsupported belief that violence is everyone’s favourite, and often the only solution, and thus should be the only proper way through a game.

Oh, my. Lets try and puzzle trough this blatant piece of bullshit, shall we?

First, i never said violence was everyone's favourite solution. This was what i said, regarding violence:

Role-Player said:
there should be some ways to solve possible confrontations without violence, but this isn't necessary to exist in all situations possibly involving combat, because gamewise, there are things which likely can only be solved in one way, or are beyond are possibilities. Violence is a common, almost universal means to an end. Its also the easiest one to do, hence its abundance in these kinds of situations.

Violence is unavoidable in some measure

Even if your statement above was relevant, it still missed the point that violence is a means to an end which is used much more often than negotiation; and that more people are likely to engage in violent acts than in peaceful ones.

The point is, however, that NPCs will always be much more eager to use violence instead of letting themselves be convinced. And most NPCs, under these cirsumstances, are likely to be better at using their sword instead of their diplomacy.

Second, yes, i did say violence was often the only solution - in situations involving violent outcomes:

Role-Player said:
This isn't particularly difficult to grasp; solving a potentially violent situation involves factors ranging from who you're dealing with, to getting what the person wants. There can arise situations where no solution - aside violence - is possible.

The point is still the same as in the previous posts - there should be some ways to solve possible confrontations without violence, but this isn't necessary to exist in all situations possibly involving combat, because gamewise, there are things which likely can only be solved in one way, or are beyond are possibilities.

And third, i never stated that violence, on its own, or when in context of your previous assumptions, should be "the only proper way trough a game":

Role-Player said:
If i can avoid combat in some situations, i'll be glad, as it does more than most CRPGs these days; i don't need a would-be pacifist path. That i can't avoid combat in some situations is good in some measure, as it means the gameworld - and more importantly, its NPCs - have minds of their own.

It wasn't a question of solving everything only trough combat, it was a point of why should diplomatic solutions be included in every single situation (which was what you questioned, after all).

And i'd suggest you pay more attention with what you write - i never posed a problem to there being a diplomatic path in the game, as your last sentence suggests. Merely, i questioned the validity of your question as to why there wasn't a diplomatic option at every turn.

Unfortunately, you claimed i said those things, so now it's your job to back them up. Only problem is, you can't.

Your lying has been caught, debunked, and shoveled to the ground with the rest of the usual brahmin crap. So, can i expect in the future the same level of stupidity regarding what i say, or are you quite trough with it? Its getting tiresome having to reprint my points every few posts because of your insistence in being an ass.

Good one, ok, consider PST an exception then, as every rule has them. Honestly, I just can’t use PST and “bad design” in one sentence. As for ToEE, it’s a hack-n-slash game, just like the IWDs, the Diablos, etc. They were never designed to be fully blown RPGs like Fallout and Arcanum.

I'm sure we could get into more time-consuming discourse as to what makes a full-blown CRPG or no, but instead, i'll just ask why it (ToEE or other similar RPGs) shouldn't be considered for this argument. Why is it that your definition cannot be used in ToEE, which regardless of being a so-called "full-blown" RPG or not, is still an CRPG? Also, does that mean what is considered bad design in a full-blown CRPG is likely to not be bad design for a non-full-blown CRPG?

Also, let's use another example, let's bring up Baldur's Gate. Like in Torment, i'm also usually forced, on some situations, to do things the only way. Knowing you, you'll say that indeed, Baldur's Gate is badly designed, while Torment isn't. However, i'd like for you to back up why one isn't badly designed and the other is. If its not much of a hassle, of course. I'm curious to see why.

On a curious note, i also find it funny how you place ToEE and IWD on the same level as Diablo. Good show.

Doesn’t count. That wasn’t a situation to be resolved, and it didn’t require any skills to use. I wasn’t forced to do anything, that’s how the game starts.

Merely making the point that the definition is liable to be misused due to it being too strict.

I didn’t say chain of command, I said chain as in chain with weak links. It could take different forms, naturally. As for your comment, I don’t believe that there could be a perfect organization. People are flawed, that’s their nature. The flaws expand tenfold in an organization, affecting everyone. Remember Compaq?

Yes, people are flawed and when those flaws can be taken advantage of, the results can be damaging if those who are taken advantage of are cogs on on a larger clockwork. However, its not impossible to accept that under some ocasions, even groups, or parts of a group (specially key individuals), might be above diplomatic means.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Role-Player said:
Your lying has been caught, debunked, and shoveled to the ground with the rest of the usual brahmin crap. So, can i expect in the future the same level of stupidity regarding what i say, or are you quite trough with it? Its getting tiresome having to reprint my points every few posts because of your insistence in being an ass.
I thought we agreed to continue this conversation in a civilized manner? Guess you’ve changed your mind. Anyway, since you’re unable to talk like a normal person, I see no reason to discuss anything with you now or in the future. I’ll address a few points though to avoid silly claims that I had nothing to say, but will not reply to future posts.

And while those examples are no doubt very good, you're forgetting there were situations where the people you are using as an example did not managed to succeed in their use of diplomacy.
Everyone fails sometimes, that changes nothing. Talleyrand didn't resort to violence just becausee he failed the negotiation, Marco Polo was not a fighting man, and skirmishes didn't stop him, etc.

then i don't think there's much of a point to the conversation, because quite frankly its becoming a bore to point something which is clear to pretty much everyone except you.
Really? I don’t see everyone’s agreeing with you here, do you?

First of all, what mission? Who gave it to him or why did he decide to do it?
The mission, self given, was to wipe out the taint of Bhaal by killing every other living Bhaalspawn, then after he made sure every last one of them was dead, to kill himself trough a ritual suicide so the taint would disappear forever.
The stupidest thing I’ve ever heard, but considering the source… Regardless, since your monk is basically a hunter, he could be avoided, outsmarted, outrun, framed, misdirected, etc.

If she could learn all that, so could my character, if the game was designed differently. As it was, the focus of the game was killing stuff, so no learning was necessary.
Copout.
Why? Take Arcanum, for example. The game lets you take your time learning what happened before, what’s happening now, and how the events are related.

The point is while it possibily wouldn't have made Torment a terrible and unrealistic game, there's no way of accurately stating it would have been better just because of it, either.
It would have been better for those who prefer to play diplomatic characters, without taking anything away from those who prefer to fight their way through or using a mix of both. That’s the point.

The main question is "would gameplay suffer?" I don't think so. Do you?
Anyway, your question appears to be nonsensical; apparently you're trying to suggest that there is a point in judging a game's premise and game elements - in this case, skills - in the same way, and that this would not harm gameplay
Just answer it.
As soon as it makes sense
Whatever.

Unfortunately, you claimed i said those things, so now it's your job to back them up. Only problem is, you can't.
Can’t? Reread your own quotes, start with this one:

“The point is still the same as in the previous posts - there should be some ways to solve possible confrontations without violence, but this isn't necessary to exist in all situations possibly involving combat, because gamewise, there are things which likely can only be solved in one way, or are beyond are possibilities. Violence is a common, almost universal means to an end”

Knowing you, you'll say that indeed, Baldur's Gate is badly designed, while Torment isn't. However, i'd like for you to back up why one isn't badly designed and the other is. If its not much of a hassle, of course. I'm curious to see why.
Hassle? For my good friend Role-Player? Nah. I've posted before on this subject, so I believe a link would be sufficient.

On a curious note, i also find it funny how you place ToEE and IWD on the same level as Diablo. Good show.
Aren’t they all hack&slash games?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
I thought we agreed to continue this conversation in a civilized manner? Guess you’ve changed your mind.

Being civilized (look the meaning up one of these days, it might do you some good) includes many things, one of which is being rational, and specially, polite or corteous. The minute you start lying about what someone says, you're being uncivilized. Simple logic, really. But instead of admitting to having lied about what i said, you instead aggravate your position, by acting like the victim, when your lying and hipocrisy has already been exposed. That you claim i'm not being civilized when you were the one who weren't is just, as they say, icing on the cake.

Anyway, since you’re unable to talk like a normal person, I see no reason to discuss anything with you now or in the future.

*snicker* And how would a "normal" person talk? I certainly hope you're not using yourself as an example here. If you're going to invoke politeness again, then i'll point you to your failure in subscribing to it during the course of this thread on multiple ocasions; ocasions which are ample justification for my reaction(s).

I’ll address a few points though to avoid silly claims that I had nothing to say, but will not reply to future posts.

Hey, be my guest. You've seemed to develop a taste for copouts, after all, so its no surprise you'll keep using them.

Everyone fails sometimes, that changes nothing. Talleyrand didn't resort to violence just becausee he failed the negotiation, Marco Polo was not a fighting man, and skirmishes didn't stop him, etc.

Quite the opposite, it changes everything. Again you display a dislike of examples that don't help your case. Those men were exceptional in their use of diplomatic skills; however, they ultimately met with situations they could not handle diplomatically. Which proves my point. As i said, in some ocasions, diplomacy might not work, no matter how good you are, because of circumstances. That you reject this simple logical proof, however, of diplomacy not being possible in *all* events and under *all* circumstances - which in your examples is easilly backed up by historical accounts - is amusing, to say the least.

Really? I don’t see everyone’s agreeing with you here, do you?

Ask them, then. Lets see how many people (aside the ones with enough grasp of the obvious) will agree that diplomatic situations can be used in all situations, with success. Lets see how many claim that there is no such thing as a situation beyond your control. So how about it folks? Let yourselves be heard. Come one, come all!

The stupidest thing I’ve ever heard, but considering the source…

More source material to backup my point about your attacks on people's character. Thanks.

Regardless, since your monk is basically a hunter, he could be avoided, outsmarted, outrun, framed, misdirected, etc.

Except you're forgetting that he was also a Bhaalspawn. The whole ordeal would only end if all the Bhaalspawn essence was gathered, and that could only happen if all the essence was willingly used or given up on. Balthazar would not willingly give it, and you could do nothing in that case except confront him.

Why? Take Arcanum, for example. The game lets you take your time learning what happened before, what’s happening now, and how the events are related.

My call on your copout was refering to your the focus of the game was killing stuff, so no learning was necessary, as you assume this is a reason for not being given the chance to do it.

It would have been better for those who prefer to play diplomatic characters, without taking anything away from those who prefer to fight their way through or using a mix of both. That’s the point.

This, assuming that diplomacy would work better than combat, or even stealth, in context of the game.

Whatever.

Whoa, more copout. Who would've guessed it? Oh well, feel free to leave your arguments unexplained. This, of course, assuming your incongruent mewlings in this situation were an actual argument, though they felt more akin to a rambling fallacy than an actual point.

Can’t? Reread your own quotes, start with this one:

Apparently you have a problem with reading yourself. Let's look at your claim:

Vault Dweller said:

And let's look at your defense:

Role-Player said:
The point is still the same as in the previous posts - there should be some ways to solve possible confrontations without violence, but this isn't necessary to exist in all situations possibly involving combat, because gamewise, there are things which likely can only be solved in one way, or are beyond are possibilities. Violence is a common, almost universal means to an end”

..... no. Your claim is still a false one, and that quote of mine doesn't support it in the least. Nowhere in what i wrote do i support violence as the only proper way trough a game, or that violence is "everyone's favourite". I pity whatever educational system which spawned you. You should sue those people for not having properly taught you english, you know.

Hassle? For my good friend Role-Player? Nah. I've posted before on this subject, so I believe a link would be sufficient.

So let's see.

Baldur's Gate, according to you, is extremely linear, "you can choose very little, and your choices are of no importance and have little impact on the game", the romances apparently have no romance at all, and it has too much loot.

Granted. However, this is what it i, for the life of me, can't understand.

Planescape: Torment is also extremely linear. It also has many choices, but eventually don't matter much as well except those directly tied in with the main narrative (and even then, the repercussions are mostly one-dimensional as well). The presentation is different, yes, but the outcome is still very doubtful and the impact is dubious. It has less romances than Baldur's Gate, and one is only platonic. However, in here you are also given multiple choices in how to handle the romances. The loot, however is inferior here.

Yet to you Planescape is an exception, and Baldur's Gate the scapegoat, when in reality, both share almost the same level of problems; yet, they're tolerated in one game and not in the other. This only leads me to a conclusion: that you can't use your definition in a credible way. I say this because you use it to analyze one game (subsequently attacking it), but refuse to use to analyze it another game (despite glaring similarities), and even dismiss using the definition to analyze other games, proposing they are meant to be that way, but not really explaining why they should not fall under scrutinity of your definition. The first event has you using the definition in an arbitrary, inconsistant way, in a clear case of personal preference, relativism over objectiveness (that sounds awfully familiar). The second event where you refuse using your definition to analyse other games in the same genre is... hell, i'll let you explain, if you ever develop the nerve that is.

In the end though, the definition you conjured backfired, because of your misuse of it and its own onesided nature, but hey, don't be surprised; that tends to happen with hastily formulated definitions only meant to make one look smug. And with onesided people using it as they see fit.

Aren’t they all hack&slash games?

Diablo 2 is an Action RPG, whereas ToEE is considered a CRPG, despite a higher (albeit not complete) focus on combat. Diablo 2 is only centered around hack'n'slash, while ToEE isn't. Even if minimal, there is a modicum of roleplaying to be found in it, which is but one of the differences. I shouldn't be even explaining you this, given you work... excuse me, post, on a site dedicated to CRPGs, and the time spent here no doubt should have given you the necessary insight.

And that still doesn't explain why ToEE or IWD would be exempt of your definition. Then again, there's a whole lot you don't explain or just prefer to ignore.

Oh well. Feel free to ignore me, as you promised. Or don't. Whatever rocks your casbah, chummer. I'll be around, anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom