Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Fargus

Arcane
This games does have a problem with finding quests. Also some quests are progression locked and you could miss a lot of content if you don't spam talk with every named npc to see if they have a quest for you. It feels realistic in a way,but not very good game choice,especially for a gothic game. Gothic quests are all about being able to get the xp and the gibs even if you did them out of order. It lest you explore and kill shit without worry if you did accidentally fucked up some quest or did something out of order.

Wasn't there faction exclusive quests in Gothic 2 as well? I don't mind missing out on content cuz this mod has many ways of getting exp and improving the character. Much more than in Gothic 2. You don't need to squeeze every drop out of it or min max furiously like in G2, my character become op in chapter 3 already. And not being able to do every single quest if you joined one faction is a good motivation to replay it imo.

notpl

Arbiter
Chapter 3.

Guard's apothecary Corum or whatever the name gives this quest. It could be a guard exclusive quest.
This games does have a problem with finding quests. Also some quests are progression locked and you could miss a lot of content if you don't spam talk with every named npc to see if they have a quest for you. It feels realistic in a way,but not very good game choice,especially for a gothic game. Gothic quests are all about being able to get the xp and the gibs even if you did them out of order. It lest you explore and kill shit without worry if you did accidentally fucked up some quest or did something out of order.

Also if he have some modder in here,lol fags you should have made everyone beatable but not killable. Having half the people being immortal is retarded.
I think it might just not be possible to make people beatable but not killable in gothic. Shit like that is way easier said than done in a game originally written in 1998

I agree that it's a bit much with some of the invincible NPCs and cutscenes but they're making the best of a bad situation. They wanted to make a story-heavy mod and the only way to make a gothic game where you have any kind of C&C and evolving plot is to make a bunch of people immortal and to gate some stuff.

Zariusz

Arbiter
OK i cleaned my quest log, i think its time to join Guild or City Guard, i spend over 35 hours in chapter 2 its time to move on. How those paths differ from eachother? From books and listening to NPCs i have feeling that Guild could lead somehow to separatism of Archolos and City Guard to stronger Myrtana. Also post some images of armours unique for each path if you can.

notpl

Arbiter
OK i cleaned my quest log, i think its time to join Guild or City Guard, i spend over 35 hours in chapter 2 its time to move on. How those paths differ from eachother? From books and listening to NPCs i have feeling that Guild could lead somehow to separatism of Archolos and City Guard to stronger Myrtana. Also post some images of armours unique for each path if you can.
You can see all the faction armors on each of the NPCs. Adelard wears the heavy mercenary armor, Garos wears heavy tracker armor, the generic mercenaries wear heavy runner armor. Mirror situation with the city guard.

Ironically the merchants' guild is way more about protecting and serving people and the city guard is way more about bribery and bullying, like being a real cop.

Danikas

Arcane
Wasn't there faction exclusive quests in Gothic 2 as well? I don't mind missing out on content cuz this mod has many ways of getting exp and improving the character. Much more than in Gothic 2. You don't need to squeeze every drop out of it or min max furiously like in G2, my character become op in chapter 3 already. And not being able to do every single quest if you joined one faction is a good motivation to replay it imo.
For some of the quest city guard npcs around the city will literally stop you and tell you to go to Roderich, Winstan, Weigar or Oktav because they want to see you it means they have a quest for you or promotion.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Different kind of exclusion,i am talking about if you miss some npc on the road at certain time of the chapter,you miss on interesting quest chain. If it was only a chapter advancement it would have been fine,but some quest get locked out by say gaining citizenship or entering the town,etc etc. It is not a good quest structure in me book.

I don't care about the xp,more interested in the quest and the stories and shit. Dislike losing content for dumb reasons.

Soooo does harpies and bats give you any hunter loot ? Is there a teacher that you could learn skinning harpies and such ?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Chapter 3.

Guard's apothecary Corum or whatever the name gives this quest. It could be a guard exclusive quest.

Also if he have some modder in here,lol fags you should have made everyone beatable but not killable. Having half the people being immortal is retarded.
I think it might just not be possible to make people beatable but not killable in gothic. Shit like that is way easier said than done in a game originally written in 1998

I agree that it's a bit much with some of the invincible NPCs and cutscenes but they're making the best of a bad situation. They wanted to make a story-heavy mod and the only way to make a gothic game where you have any kind of C&C and evolving plot is to make a bunch of people immortal and to gate some stuff.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Nigga it is done in this mod,there is plenty of people that you could beat up but can't kill once they are on the ground. I am yet to find an NPC that i could actually kill lol.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
For some of the quest city guard npcs around the city will literally stop you and tell you to go to Roderich, Winstan, Weigar or Oktav because they want to see you it means they have a quest for you or promotion.
Haven't seen that,the quests seem pretty random lol. At one moment i talk to those fucks and there is no quest,then i go hunt some random enemies for an hour and later on they have a quest without me progressing the story or doing quest related to the guards.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Couple random questions:

• Early game (ch1 in Silbach); what are the most lucrative trophy skills to take? I have skinning and claws, but since I'm always out of money I don't want to take skills that apply to animals I'll be killing in chapter 3/4, but right now or soon.
  • Related to the above, I know the hunter Markus buys claw trophies, but what does the other Silbach hunter buy? I think his name is Cadmus or Caledorn, something with a C.
  • I'm aiming for a 1h STR sword user who takes trophies, picks locks, and can mine / blacksmith. Am I going to be short on LP to do this? I have the Lovkar book on alchemy lvl 1 and I'm also tempted to read it to make basic potions, but if I'm already going to be short on LP it makes no sense.

Finally, I saw some screenshots in this thread (I think) where someone had their HP numbers displayed above their red health bar. Something like 100 / 120 HP. I looked through the Gothic and SystemPack .inis and didn't see an option to this effect. How do I enable that?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
  • I'm aiming for a 1h STR sword user who takes trophies, picks locks, and can mine / blacksmith. Am I going to be short on LP to do this? I have the Lovkar book on alchemy lvl 1 and I'm also tempted to read it to make basic potions, but if I'm already going to be short on LP it makes no sense.

You should be fine. The game has a lot more perm bonuses than Gothic 2/NOTR. My base strength is only 75 but boosted (with food items/potions and a couple of rings) it's currently 130. Make sure you get alchemy as the game contains a lot of sorrels and perma herbs.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Tacgnol how high does it make sense to take alchemy if you aren’t going to apprentice / master it? Or is there a way to master it without an apprenticeship?

notpl

Arbiter
Couple random questions:

• Early game (ch1 in Silbach); what are the most lucrative trophy skills to take? I have skinning and claws, but since I'm always out of money I don't want to take skills that apply to animals I'll be killing in chapter 3/4, but right now or soon.
  • Related to the above, I know the hunter Markus buys claw trophies, but what does the other Silbach hunter buy? I think his name is Cadmus or Caledorn, something with a C.

Finally, I saw some screenshots in this thread (I think) where someone had their HP numbers displayed above their red health bar. Something like 100 / 120 HP. I looked through the Gothic and SystemPack .inis and didn't see an option to this effect. How do I enable that?
Every trophy skill will get you more money than not having it. Skins is obviously the most rewarding but it's just a question of how much LP you want to trade for gold. There's a lot of good shit to buy.

If you don't want to learn alchemy you can learn to make perma-food, it takes 2 dragonroots for +3 strength, as opposed to alchemy which takes 1 dragonroot and 1 sorrel for the same.

Other hunter doesn't buy anything long-term, but you get a short unlisted quest from a notice board to bring him some intro-level skins and he'll pay you well for them.

You'll be fine, the game isn't very hard and blacksmithed weapons are very good. You probably have room for another craft skill if you want to learn alchemy to make strength potions. Choosing your apprenticeship in town is a big component of your character. The butcher gives the most money, the others give you access to some things early (learning advanced blacksmithing for free and getting an expanded inventory of recipes, for a relevant example)

You can master any trade skill without an apprenticeship, the master just teaches you for free and sometimes earlier than you would otherwise have access to it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tacgnol how high does it make sense to take alchemy if you aren’t going to apprentice / master it? Or is there a way to master it without an apprenticeship?

Bodowin (alchemist outside the city at the crossroads) can take you to master but charges 30 LP/3.5k gold. Alchemy master charges just the 30LP.

You have to wait till a minimum of Chapter 3 to get the alchemy master to teach you. Bodowin can teach you at any point.

3.5k gold is honestly not as daunting as it seems though, and lets you sign up with one of the more lucrative masters. 30LP is also nothing either considering the costs of raising strength.

Edit: Been said a few times in the thread, but just to re-iterate, you can use stat enhancers at any point without it affecting LP costs. The modders changed it so only the base stat value counts towards LP costs.

notpl

Arbiter
Bear in mind that, while the alchemy apprenticeship is not the most lucrative (Butcher is by far), you get unique perma potions you cannot buy any other way from him. His inventory doubles as soon as you become his apprentice, and when you reach the end of his questline he gives you a special potion with enormous benefits.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Bear in mind that, while the alchemy apprenticeship is not the most lucrative (Butcher is by far), you get unique perma potions you cannot buy any other way from him. His inventory doubles as soon as you become his apprentice, and when you reach the end of his questline he gives you a special potion with enormous benefits.

Didn't realise that. I did notice he sold about 3 of every perma potion, I guess that's an apprentice perk?

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Do permasnacks work like in Gothic 2 (apples for strength, mushrooms for mana)? Are there more, aside from potions?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Didn't realise that. I did notice he sold about 3 of every perma potion, I guess that's an apprentice perk?
Also i have noticed that the masters have unique quest lines that advance with each chapter.....at least the hunter chick does.

Fargus

Arcane
Couple random questions:

I'll share my experience:

Can make some money by selling dishes and trophies early on, steal shit. If you get fined just pay it to Silbachs head honcho then beat him and take your money back. When you become stronger you can just provoke people everywhere, lead them someplace without witnesses and beat the shit out of them for xp and profit lolz.
Take all the trophy skills because it's extra money. All of them. And as early as possible. Avoid killing monsters (that you dont have trophy skills for) too until you learn the right trophy skills. You do things right and you can wipe out most of the wildlife in chapter 2 already and rake in cash. Safe for wargs (maybe), shadowbeasts, trolls, dragonsneppers and other high level nasty shit.
I was hesitant to join as butcher's apprentice at first, but he is very profitable, buys meat, seeds and fat, sells you some rare herbs, teaches the recepy of bear stew +5 hp permanent health and you can make a lot of that stew, its better than boar meat stew with wine which you can make as well anyway.

I'd take alchemy early on if you have no plans of becoming an alchemist apprentice and learn it for free. Alchemy is a must have skill and you can learn all levels from bodowin, it cost a sum but worth it. For whatever retarded reason the devs made restore full hp potion the easiest potion to make compared to weaker potions, since it only takes 1 of each healing herb to make. You can make those from seeds too.
Lockpicking is shit and waste of LPs. You can buy magic item that shortens the lock combinations but they are always randomized. But all of this doesn't matter because traders sell so much lockpicks you can use them to pick your teeth with. 0 point of making them yourself too. They cost like 5 gold each. Basic lockpicking is all you need.
I wouldn't bother about lps. I was like level 22 before chapter 3, i think im already 35 and still in chapter 3 lmao.
If you want to become a blacksmith don't forget that forging weapons needs animal trophies for whatever reason. If you don't plan on becoming apprentice you'll be better off not learning smithing at all. I don't know how much blacksmiths apprenticeship pays and whether it's worth taking over Frida's or Butcher dude's.

Do permasnacks work like in Gothic 2 (apples for strength, mushrooms for mana)? Are there more, aside from potions?

They really overdone it with permanent bonuses. You get stat bonuses from reading book sets. You get perma life bonuses from just eating different dishes. You get +1 and +5 perma hp from eating boar and bear stew etc. You can find hundreds of apples to increase strength. You can find numerous permanent health potions and make tons of permanent potions yourself.

Last edited:

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, didn't read most of the thread since I'm avoiding spoilers but just some questions:

Are there only 2 joinable factions? Guild and Guard? What's with the Sons of the Wolf? They sounded cool and I went there and basically they wouldn't let me in and there was no way around it?

The island seems really small? Is there a venture in some chapter somewhere else that expands the gameworld?

I guess this question is connected with the first one? Do you change factions or camps like in G1?

notpl

Arbiter
So, didn't read most of the thread since I'm avoiding spoilers but just some questions:

Are there only 2 joinable factions? Guild and Guard? What's with the Sons of the Wolf? They sounded cool and I went there and basically they wouldn't let me in and there was no way around it?

The island seems really small? Is there a venture in some chapter somewhere else that expands the gameworld?

I guess this question is connected with the first one? Do you change factions or camps like in G1?
Only two factions, sons of the wolf are a plot-gated faction that you don't join in a traditional sense.

Island is sort of small but there's no shortage of content, I have almost 100 hours logged on steam for my first playthrough.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who are all the hunting skill teachers? I found two in the city (not old town yet) and know how to get:
- skins
- lizard skins
- claws
- insect mandibles
- bloodfly wings
- stingers
- animal fats
- fangs
- lizard tongues

I think there's still shells left, but where do I learn those? Wanna get that skill before I clear turtles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom