Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chroma Squad - Released on Steam and GOG

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
To be fair, that's not exactly outside the purview of these shows. They're all about the aesops. "Guys can be kidnapped too!" would fit right in.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I was ten years old when Mighty Morphin Power Rangers debuted in 1993. I watched the original series for several seasons or so, along with perhaps one season of an unsuccessful ripoff called VR Troopers. I still vaguely recall the cast members' personalities, their names, the introduction of Tommy the green ranger, his eventual metamorphosis into the white ranger, etc.

Other than that and seeing previews and demo reels of Japanese "power suit" series and movies like Casshern, that's my sum total experience with "power suit" tokusatsu. I also saw some movie from the 80s or early 90s that featured one protagonist in an insectile power suit, but I forget what it was called.

Much like American pro wrestling, I regard "power suit" shows as amusing and nostalgic, but my actual knowledge of them is limited and peripheral or else very old and outdated.

lightbane

Arcane
Finally I got a chance to play it. It was fun enough to continue until I got to the end of the first route (the Kamen Rider Night Driver one). I don't know if it was intentional, but the Driver is by himself powerful enough to make everyone his bitch (moreso if you do something like stacking Battle Fever + Driver Mode + Shout of Courage + Square Kick to do an attack with 300%+ damage), but since I don't know much about the source material, I can't say much. Too bad it lacks an high-speed chase level, or at least giving you the ability to use the bike outside of an special attack.

Meanwhile, about the characters, Lady Lord Gaga was awesome, truly a "Codex-approved" villain :lol::lol: Too bad the final boss plays himself completely straight (although his gimmick was somewhat funny too).

I also like that although simplistic, the game actually requires the player to use proper party setup and tactics to win. However, I'm still not completely sure how does the relation between the Attack stat and the Weapon Damage one work, especially if you stack buffs and/or use special attacks. Too bad there's little enemy variety and that the mecha battles are quite weak :decline:

Lastly, about the SJW bit that it was mentioned, it does come out of nowhere and is annoying, but once it is resolved it's quickly forgotten, so I don't find it much of an issue. Instead, what I do find cringeworthy is the increasing use of bad memes as the game progresses (to the point you could believe Antony Burch somehow hijacked the script and added a few lines before he was kicked out).

For now I'm considering waiting a while before starting a new game, because the game itself mentions the devs are working on new material plus a New Game+ mode. In any case, I give the game a score of :4/5:.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
:necro:
It's always pleasant when any setting finally gets turned into a turn-based tactical combat game.
Very fun little game. It is short (not much more than 10hrs), but there is no downtime, the different mission objectives make the game very enjoyable (if not hard).

- Building the team at the beginning was nice.
- I thought that item customization was a little weak, with enough money to buy most if not all best equipement (mecha apart), and my impression was that the choices are obvious or don't matter. But for the first point it's probably my own fault : I played on the default difficulty and the hardest one may be more appropriate even for a first playthrough since you'll probably earn less money.
- Concerning the skill, on the contrary, the choices were not obvious, and that was good.

Last edited:

Lucky

Arcane
I got this during the fall sales and have been playing with it a bit. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm in deep enough to see where it is going.

The good:
- Setting up my own team and tweaking their getup is fun. It could do with more characters to choose from when starting a new game, though, for more replayability.

- Story suits the game. It's a silly and cheesy game about stuntmen starting a show that is unironically about friendship and justice while being very self-aware about it. Not particularly funny, but very go-lucky. The above complaints regarding the hostage mission seem ridiculous to me because of this. Nothing wrong with having a wink and a nod for your damsel-in-distress cliché.

- Charming sprites that really help sell the setting. I particularly like their idle animations, since those are easy to get wrong and here are both informative and atmospheric (doing a little pose to show that attacking somewhere will get them involved). I could easily see this game not working if it had been done in 3D.

- Simple but good combat. Enough depth to be fun and with enough pace to keep it from going stale. The varied side-objectives also nicely incentivise trying different approaches so that you don't settle into a routine.

The bad:
- The mecha fights are not very good. The only thing that matters is your gear. If it's good enough to outdamage the opponent, you win, if not, you lose. This is because the way the combat system works means that you become more and more susceptible to the RNG the weaker your gear is, without giving you any tools to compensate for that with clever tactics. The result is that you'll be doing the same moves, in every fight, for every boss, regardless of whether your gear's good or bad, because there's nothing else for you to do. The fights are basically all the same and there's no need to change your approach, so you'll always do the same thing and either win or lose while feeling like you had no input in how the fight went down.

- Bad documentation. There's no manual and the game doesn't provide adequate tooltips for when you want to know what something does or means.

- Some annoying bugs. This is at least in part because GOG doesn't have the latest version of the game, because the build that they have has a bug that keeps them from uploading it and they're waiting for the fix - that was over a month ago now. One bug in particular made me have to start a new playthrough, which is when you press esc after having finished a mission but before you get to the reward screen. The result is that you go to the base screen without receiving any money, fans or materials for that episode.

Overall: Good, light-weight rpg. Might want to wait a bit, though, for those last bugs to get sorted out, if you plan on getting it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/251130/announcements/detail/1671270203894252078

Free Episode Creator and Steam Workshop support for Chroma Squad

The indie superhero TV show studio simulator is now more meta than ever!

Today, we announce the release of the free “Episode Editor” update for the Steam version of Chroma Squad on PC, Mac and Linux.

The "Episode Editor" free update to Chroma Squad allows players to create and share their custom Episodes using the Steam Workshop feature. The editor is very powerful, allowing for complex episodes including custom dialogue, cutscenes, battles and more. There is full Documentation available for the editor, as well as a video tutorial.

The game’s designer Mark Venturelli also included a brand new Chroma Squad episode called “Mark’s Wedding”, designed to slot right into the main campaign’s 4th Season. Fans can play the Episode and also use it as a guide for what’s possible with the new Editor.

Video walkthrough of the Episode Editor:

Official Documentation:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1301218944

Free DLC:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom