Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone on the Second-Hand Gaming Market

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mozgoëbstvo said:
Guys, guys, stop arguing! All of your points are moot.

Don't you know an invisible hand will automatically adjust the market? :troll:

In the RPG industry, it's not an 'invisible hand' but a very visible finger.

Renegen

Arcane
What Feargus said there was very interesting. He basically said that as long as used-game reselling is prevalent, deep complex RPGs will be less affected than a 10 hour crappy action game. Therefore, RPGs would be more profitable for publishers. If anything, it means that we should support used games as much as possible, and so should MCA.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Quite frankly, digital distribution isn't going to save them as long as they are marketing themselves to console users. Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo will be loathe to use digital distribution as a primary game delivery platform for full price titles. They know that users ability to rent, borrow, and buy used is a huge draw to consoles. Popping in a disc and playing the game in your living room with no muss, no fuss, is another big advantage consoles have, one that digital distribution takes away from a lot of people. It's just not gonna fly, at least in the short-term, on consoles.

I may be ill-informed, but I was under the impression that at least the most recent round of consoles were sold at a loss or at least at very, very low profit margins because of the competition between consoles and console-makers' belief that they could capture more profit from games.

After all, most people aren't going to buy more than one or maybe two consoles from the current generation (though the group of people who post frequently on a gaming site--even a PC focused one--may). Once somebody buys your console, then you can make profits from the games sold for that console.

Do Microsoft and Sony make money off of royalties or do they only make money in one go for each new game (as opposed to copy) produced, selling licenses or something? If royalties, then it seems like they lose the same as publishers due to used games sales for the current generation.

That aside, the efforts those companies make to increase the number of console users connecting to the internet with their consoles and to develop game markets online seem to indicate that they're comfortable with the idea on some scale and may eventually hit a point where digital distribution is the norm on consoles--even in the short term, on the current generation of consoles.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Commie, I was about to put a finger instead of trollface, but I had to run off. You got the spirit of my post, though.

;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom