Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone grows a pair and fights back against being cancelled

It would seem that I angered the Codex leftoids with my posts. :lol:

Only right-wing extremists believe in the presumption of innocence, oh no.

Maxie vdweller

UMI66T4.jpg

There's certainly the seedlings of doubt being sown through healthy criticism in the form of low effort posts about our perception of Chris being a bias as if that's relevant so that won't go beyond this one sentence.

Instead I'm here to point something out critical that goes a bit beyond the scope of just RPG discussion and it's alumni. That being that, it really doesn't matter if Chris loses this case. That being said, don't misunderstand me: I too, want, hope, and think he will succeed in his efforts at striking back at subhumans who don't have a care in the world about who they hurt so long as they acquire social capital to leverage themselves on with their goals in life and aren't even smart enough to be cautious about opening their mouth. But really, I say it doesn't matter, because even if Chris loses this case, it shows that that people like Chris. People like us. People like me. That we make a difference, and put a dent into this sorry state-of-the-climate this world has become. It shows that no, false accusations are not in the fact the end of a man's life, and that while you certainly shouldn't put yourself in any position carelessly to go about that way, there are options. There are people learning, studying, rallying together to change everything at best, carve back out that small niche in the world where you can escape it all, at worst.

The worst mistake a man can make is simultaneously both being too trusting and overestimating his fellow man, and underestimating them at a distance as well. There is hope. Even if Chris loses this case? We'll probably know the details. We'll know what works, and what doesn't. It's like XCOM. You start out completely oblivious to the overarching menace from beyond your understanding in every way, only to research what you've seen time and time again used against you, and then you learn to use it, adapt it, modify it, and ultimately win with it.

Think of the devs we've got going on here at the codex. Think of the up-and-coming ones reading this right now, contemplating, just a step away from becoming one themselves, but hesitating due to this zeitgeist. If it isn't clear to you by now, good games with good cultures are still possible. What if it turned out this whole time that it was really only the codex's tendency to incline and decline that ironically was the real reason why we didn't ascend?

I ask you, codexian. What can a rabbid catlady feasting off nepotism with an IQ at room temperature do, that you can't do? Truly.

Ask not what good games have come out, ask what good games YOU, have coming out.

And MCA will win this case. Somewhere up in his head, through all the stress of it all, he's thinking about everyone here and he's giving a nostalgic chuckle at every reverence of him. Hell, he might even be reading this thread, right now. You never know in life. Life seriously has the weirdest ways of working out sometimes, and like someone wise once told me: "Happiness is a choice."

A horse of course

There's certainly the seedlings of doubt being sown through healthy criticism in the form of low effort posts about our perception of Chris being a bias as if that's relevant so that won't go beyond this one sentence.

Instead I'm here to point something out critical that goes a bit beyond the scope of just RPG discussion and it's alumni. That being that, it really doesn't matter if Chris loses this case. That being said, don't misunderstand me: I too, want, hope, and think he will succeed in his efforts at striking back at subhumans who don't have a care in the world about who they hurt so long as they acquire social capital to leverage themselves on with their goals in life and aren't even smart enough to be cautious about opening their mouth. But really, I say it doesn't matter, because even if Chris loses this case, it shows that that people like Chris. People like us. People like me. That we make a difference, and put a dent into this sorry state-of-the-climate this world has become. It shows that no, false accusations are not in the fact the end of a man's life, and that while you certainly shouldn't put yourself in any position carelessly to go about that way, there are options. There are people learning, studying, rallying together to change everything at best, carve back out that small niche in the world where you can escape it all, at worst.

The worst mistake a man can make is simultaneously both being too trusting and overestimating his fellow man, and underestimating them at a distance as well. There is hope. Even if Chris loses this case? We'll probably know the details. We'll know what works, and what doesn't. It's like XCOM. You start out completely oblivious to the overarching menace from beyond your understanding in every way, only to research what you've seen time and time again used against you, and then you learn to use it, adapt it, modify it, and ultimately win with it.

Think of the devs we've got going on here at the codex. Think of the up-and-coming ones reading this right now, contemplating, just a step away from becoming one themselves, but hesitating due to this zeitgeist. If it isn't clear to you by now, good games with good cultures are still possible. What if it turned out this whole time that it was really only the codex's tendency to incline and decline that ironically was the real reason why we didn't ascend?

I ask you, codexian. What can a rabbid catlady feasting off nepotism with an IQ at room temperature do, that you can't do? Truly.

Ask not what good games have come out, ask what good games YOU, have coming out.

And MCA will win this case. Somewhere up in his head, through all the stress of it all, he's thinking about everyone here and he's giving a nostalgic chuckle at every reverence of him. Hell, he might even be reading this thread, right now. You never know in life. Life seriously has the weirdest ways of working out sometimes, and like someone wise once told me: "Happiness is a choice."

You sound fat

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Even if he loses, at least he tried to fight back.

This is the point I always make, if you just roll over to cancel culture you're fucked anyway. Might as well fight to the bitter end, what have you got to lose if they've already taken everything?

You sound fat

it's the sardines

Codex Year of the Donut
And MCA will win this case.

How, tho? IIRC, libel is almost impossible to prove in a Kwan court, and the accuser is pretty much just wasting his time and money 99% of the time.

Seriously, he'd have a better shot of suing that what's-her-face-cunt for sexually assaulting him and winning than he has of suing her for libel and winning.
This is only true if you're a public figure. Major celebrity, politician, etc., Avellone is not.

Black

Arcane
>weimerica
>commiefornian courts
>white, straight ( :negative: ) male vs progressive she/her blm resist wear your mask schizo
He's in the right but he'll lose. Make a poll already so I can bet some brofists.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

ab36a84f055f0a27cc925886267d542b.gif

SmoothPimp

Educated
MCA is canceled for life in any case.
In US and to some degree in Europe. Woody Allen funded and produced his last film in Spain, Kevin Spacey enjoying relatively quiet but still public lifge in Europe and even got part in Italian movie with planned worldwide distribution.

A great deal of good modern games come from Eastern Europe, ex-USSR countries, Turkey. Sure many developers would be glad to work with MCA.

Sentinel

Arcane
Your veiny, throbbing hateboner for MCA fanboys made you forgot the third option other than political sides or fanboyism: supporting him because there was never any evidence or admission of guilt, other than his passive-aggressive remarks about deserving to be canceled.
There were implicit admissions of guilt in his apology. As for the "there was never any evidence", I addressed this - first, there was evidence of untoward behavior towards one of them (the text where he sexually propositions one of the whores out of nowhere), and second, any unbiased person would question why he didn't defend himself against the other accusations if there truly was no evidence and he believed himself not guilty, and come out of it thinking he was guilty.

He absolutely didn't do anything to help the supposed victim or act apologetic, remorseful, or submissive towards the allegations.

You are now changing it to the idea that his actions could be perceived that way, and that is true. If that is what you had initially intended and there was a miscommunication, ok. We don't disagree.

But to be absolutely clear, he didn't do anything to help the supposed victim or act apologetic, remorseful, or submissive towards the allegations. That bit of falseness needs to be called out. All he did was apologize for the one thing he felt he should (not handling a relationship that well) and tell people to leave him alone.
How can his actions be perceived that way if, according to you, he never acted apologetic, submissive or helped the victims?
I am not changing anything now, that was always my point. This entire thing was always about the perception of the case by people in MCA's circle and by an exempt third party. Problem is you have retards jumping into the conversation, completely misinterpreting it, and then running with their head cannon and posting with assumptions about the conversation/me that aren't true. This conversation and my points are to be read within the context of the summary I posted before.

No, it can't be rightfully seen as an admission of guilt. That is just 100% wrong. That isn't how admitting works. Remaining silent is not an admission. I don't know if people are just joking about you being Chinese or not. Maybe you are and you think a legal or justice system where the accused can be steamrolled like that is the way things work, but there is a reason the American legal system doesn't work that way. And the same reasoning applies to the judgements we make of accusations.
I'm not chinese and I don't even know what the implication is, but regardless. It 100% works that way, skipping court will have the judge decide against the defendant in any civil court. I don't know why you're trying to deny this.

I don't think I would take pride, but a lot of people were certainly happy to see Chris return to us. I am sure many people felt all kinds of emotions, especially since most had given up on him.

You are wrong in your claim that the support of him was primarily just based on tribal/political/personal allegiance. At most, that was people's initial leanings, but the people here looked at the actual allegations and evidence and continued to support him for two reasons.

1.) Even if you take the version of events that are alleged at face value, Chris never really did much of anything wrong. At worst he was clumsy trying to hook up with a few people, but immediately desisted upon rejection. The worst behavior was a single grope allegation, and allegations of infidelity.

2.) Upon examining the allegations there are massive credibility problems with them, especially the worst of the allegations.

If the allegations had actually been serious and there was some credibility behind them, I assure you most people would have not supported MCA in this matter. Although they would likely have still have appreciated and respected his past works. Some of the die hard culture warriors may still have.

But again, the allegations weren't even serious in the first place and they had major credibility issues. So no one had any reason not to support him, not be upset that he was just rolling over and not challenging it, or not be happy (and maybe even prideful) that he has decided to finally fight back.
1.) There was very few evidence brought to the public, just supposed witnesses. The only evidence brought forth of Avellone's weird behavior was the message screencap. Despite there not being much evidence and the allegations being relatively empty, Avellone chose not to defend himself, and, as I said one hundred times, this is seen as an admission of guilt in any western civil judicial or societal system, whether you like it or not. I already posted an analogy to evidence this before, but 2 people chose to hilariously misinterpret it and pivot instead of engaging with it honestly.

2.) This isn't relevant, since I'm talking about the period immediately after the allegations came forth - namely the 2 days where Avellone goes full cuckold and disappears after internet sobbing and saying he deserves all of the shit he gets. The examination of the allegations didn't come until weeks (months?) later.

If the allegations had actually been serious and there was some credibility behind them, I assure you most people would have not supported MCA in this matter.
You're just completely wrong then, because they had very little reason to assume he had done nothing to begin with. All of his behavior indicated otherwise, and his long history with alcohol was a strong indicator as well.

Your veiny, throbbing hateboner for MCA

FTFY.
I don't think sentinel really hates MCA himself (just doesn't care much), but if you refer to his fans as "MCA cocksuckers" you clearly don't like them. :M

The problem is that he thinks MCA acted in a way that if you didn't believe he was guilty, it's because you either hate the accuser or want some tasty MCA cock to suck. I say it's possible to think that MCA acted retarded but still believe he didn't do it, because lolnoevidence and lolnoconfession.

Maybe it's true that if, say, an Ubisoft executive acted the same way I would think he's guilty, but that would just be me not caring enough to pay attention and notice that lolnoevidence and lolnoconfession.
I don't hate Avellone. Or rather, I resent his decision to retire so early. Massive wasted potential. He wrote, designed & directed 2 of my favorite games ever. He's my favorite western dev. I have nothing but admiration and respect for him, and all my interactions with him were positive.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom