Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone grows a pair and fights back against being cancelled

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
You're completely proving my point. "I wouldn't support a guy that made shit games" (ubisoft) and "We supported that guy accused by zoe quinn" (political reasons). Exactly, I know that. That's exactly what I said. 95% of people here support Avellone out of reflex, either for political reasons or for a cult of personality. It's nothing to be ashamed of, just don't pretend it's an achievement, lol.
And why the heck should someone not be proud of taking a stance for the person you respect, due to convictions or whatever, and going against the mainstream crowd and specific individuals betraying their friend and colleague out of fear? Also codex is not a hivemind, there are many different people with varied opinions on everything here, you are not special - at least in that way.

I for one don't care much about Avellone as a person nor a writer, he has done some decent shit in the past, but his face trading during the past half decade has been more annoying than anything. That said, even if everything said by the sluts is true, I still fail to see anything wrong with that. Getting drunk and trying to get laid? That is like totally ok for every party involved unless you live in some puritanic society, which is not the case here. What is not ok is how that transforms into vague "sexual predator" and "abuse", and then to "rape", "assault" and a witch hunt. One has to be mentally chellenged to not see how wrong and ridiculous this whole thing is.

Quillon

Arcane
Yeah we are biased but %95 or 99 or 100% of people here support Chris cos there is no tangible evidence against him other than their word and there are many inconsistent stuff surfaced clashing with their story. Also no one here thinks about their twatter creditz, prolly most don't even have an account there.

I was beginning to doubt Chris/questioned the part about Christy Dena in his statements when I saw her latest replies but thankfully it was refuted almost immediately in the next post. They just need to show a bit of irrefutable evidence if they can lol

Krivol

Magister
If Chris tried to rape anyone, he should not only be cancelled but also spend some time in prison. No doubts here. But we can't judge him according to twitter gossips. No one can. There should be an investigation and he should be sentenced by the court.

I understand statements from another side - "rape victims are usually too scared and ashamed to do anything" etc. But we really did not develop a better way to do justice. I can write on Twitter that Klarissa gang-raped me with her friends - would it have any meaning? Everyone can say anything about anyone.

mastroego

Arcane
If Chris tried to rape anyone, he should not only be cancelled but also spend some time in prison. No doubts here. But we can't judge him according to twitter gossips. No one can. There should be an investigation and he should be sentenced by the court.

I understand statements from another side - "rape victims are usually too scared and ashamed to do anything" etc. But we really did not develop a better way to do justice. I can write on Twitter that Klarissa gang-raped me with her friends - would it have any meaning? Everyone can say anything about anyone.
I'm afraid this amounts to White Supremacy these days. You realize that, don't you?

Sentinel

Arcane
And why the heck should someone not be proud of taking a stance for the person you respect, due to convictions or whatever, and going against the mainstream crowd and specific individuals betraying their friend and colleague out of fear? Also codex is not a hivemind, there are many different people with varied opinions on everything here, you are not special - at least in that way.
I already explained this for over >10 pages, if you can't be bothered to read it's because you're not interested in the answer. Don't quote me faggot.

TF

Educated
I recognize the possibility that Avellone's nigh-alcoholic past erased some thing from his memory. Every time he says "I don't remember any of this" in his post I can't help but think "does he not remember because it didn't happen, or does he not remember because he was drunk out of his mind?"

My skepticism doesn't mean I believe the woman's accounts of the events btw. She's 100% personally motivated and only wants to destroy his life.

Way to totally fail to understand the presumption of innocence, or happily sodomise it in order to have it both ways

Sentinel

Arcane
I recognize the possibility that Avellone's nigh-alcoholic past erased some thing from his memory. Every time he says "I don't remember any of this" in his post I can't help but think "does he not remember because it didn't happen, or does he not remember because he was drunk out of his mind?"

My skepticism doesn't mean I believe the woman's accounts of the events btw. She's 100% personally motivated and only wants to destroy his life.

Way to totally fail to understand the presumption of innocence, or happily sodomise it in order to have it both ways
So leaving aside the fact that presumption of innocence doesn't even apply in the court case we're talking about, do you believe that principle to be universal and do you apply it no matter who the accused is, or do you only bring it up when it's convenient for you?

Irxy

Arcane
I already explained this for over >10 pages, if you can't be bothered to read it's because you're not interested in the answer. Don't quote me faggot.
There is nothing to answer, that's obviously a rhetorical question.

Do we know they both were? If they were, Chris should also admit to it. I'll admit I don't know where or how to draw lines when both parties are drunk.
The line is that you consent to full responsibility for all your actions while drunk the moment you willingly start drinking. This is common sense, that is why drunken driving is aggravating circumstances and not an excuse.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

So leaving aside the fact that presumption of innocence doesn't even apply in the court case we're talking about

Wait. So you're saying the court should not presume that Karissa is innocent?

:what:

TF

Educated
Oh for heaven's sakes.

Karissa et al have accused MCA of criminal conduct. The presumption of innocence therefore applies. He is innocent, until they prove their accusations in a criminal court. This won't happen, because they won't go to the police to file charges. That is most likely because their accusations are a crock of shit.

If you say 'ohhhh, well he drinks a lot so maybe they're right', you are chucking that presumption out the door. Worse, you're doing it on the basis of the most ridiculously gossipy accusations made in the most ridiculously gossipy outlet of all, Twatter.

If this bloke was a proven multiple sex offender, you might have a leg to stand on. You don't however.

Anyway, I'm sorry I inserted myself in here, unlike MCA har har, carry on folks!

Sentinel

Arcane

So leaving aside the fact that presumption of innocence doesn't even apply in the court case we're talking about

No, that is not what I'm saying. You're yet another guy jumping into the middle of the conversation, misunderstanding it compeltely, and then taking it in another direction. Either go read 10 pages or don't reply to me about this shit. No one in here is talking about karissa's presumption of innocence.

Sentinel

Arcane
Oh for heaven's sakes.

Karissa et al have accused MCA of criminal conduct. The presumption of innocence therefore applies. He is innocent, until they prove their accusations in a criminal court. This won't happen, because they won't go to the police to file charges. That is most likely because their accusations are a crock of shit.

If you say 'ohhhh, well he drinks a lot so maybe they're right', you are chucking that presumption out the door. Worse, you're doing it on the basis of the most ridiculously gossipy accusations made in the most ridiculously gossipy outlet of all, Twatter.

If this bloke was a proven multiple sex offender, you might have a leg to stand on. You don't however.

Anyway, I'm sorry I inserted myself in here, unlike MCA har har, carry on folks!
Nice evasion lol.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

No, that is not what I'm saying. You're yet another guy jumping into the middle of the conversation, misunderstanding it compeltely, and then taking it in another direction. Either go read 10 pages or don't reply to me about this shit. No one in here is talking about karissa's presumption of innocence.

You stated pretty clearly that "presumption of innocence doesn't even apply in the court case we're talking about". The court case we are talking about is the one of MCA suing Karissa for purported slander. Ergo my surprise that you suddenly started talking about Karissa's presumption of innocence. Or lack thereof, to be precise.

Either start communicating logically, or don't post to us about this shit. Or any other shit.

Irxy

Arcane
Karissa et al have accused MCA of criminal conduct.
Did she though? Problem is, stuff like "sexual predator", "abuse", "preying" etc. is just like calling someone a sad looser, not facts but opinions. I think only "assault" is a word for actual crime, but she can say she was talking about mental assault and not any real criminal event.
That is why these sluts can't go to police, they are basically accusing someone of being an ass - an opinion about someone's morality. The way people interpret it later and how it becomes a witch hunt is sad, modern law is not prepaired for this.

Sentinel

Arcane

You stated pretty clearly that "presumption of innocence doesn't even apply in the court case we're talking about". The court case we are talking about is the one of MCA suing Karissa for purported slander. Ergo my surprise that you suddenly started talking about Karissa's presumption of innocence. Or lack thereof, to be precise.

Either start communicating logically, or don't post to us about this shit. Or any other shit.
Well, if you want to insist on a conversation based on your misreadings, I can't really help you. Maybe someone will talk to you. We'll wait and see.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Well, if you want to insist on a conversation based on your misreadings, I can't really help you. Maybe someone will talk to you. We'll wait and see.

Enlihghten me, oh Wise One. How else would one read "presumption of innocence doesn't even apply in the court case we're talking about"? Is the court case we are talking about not the one of MCA suing Karissa for purported slander? Where have I erred, Teacher?

TF

Educated
Did she though? Problem is, stuff like "sexual predator", "abuse", "preying" etc. is just like calling someone a sad looser, not facts but opinions.

Stating a person 'gets people drunk' to 'take advantage of them sexually', is an accusation of criminal conduct. It's an accusation of drugging and rape. Otherwise, it's an accusation of consensual behaviour, which is clearly nonsensical.

Anyone who says that, then backs off by suggesting they don't mean it in a criminal way, is using complete weasel words.

People need to be held to account for what they assert about others.

Edit: To be clear, I am saying that MCA is innocent of either of these things, and of any 'misconduct'

Last edited:

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Did she though? Problem is, stuff like "sexual predator", "abuse", "preying" etc. is just like calling someone a sad looser, not facts but opinions.

Stating a person 'gets people drunk' to 'take advantage of them sexually', is an accusation of criminal conduct. It's an accusation of drugging and rape. Otherwise, it's an accusation of consensual behaviour, which is clearly nonsensical.

Anyone who says that, then backs off by suggesting they don't mean it in a criminal way, is using complete weasel words.

People need to be held to account for what they assert about others.
How the fuck did he get them drunk? Did he drugged them or force them to drink? You are a fucking adult. You are responsable for how much you choose to drink. People blaming Avellone for buying drinks to get them drunk are fucking retarded. Drinking is a choice. You guys act like KArissa was some kind of innocent/naive girl. She knew what she was doing. She used him to get job interviews for her friends. She took advantage of Chris and played him all the way. She accused him for publicity when she could not use him anymore.

Sentinel

Arcane

You are being pretty retarded about this, and any time you talk about how the courts or laws work in general for this thread.

You seem to have two bad understandings here.

1.) The people slandering Chris are the ones being accused of something in this lawsuit, not Chris. And also, even if Chris loses the lawsuit, that is not proof that their accusations against him are true. That just means the court found that their statements and conduct didn't rise to the level of actionable libel.

2.) The presumption of innocence always applies in courts. There is no case that just accusing someone of something is all it takes. That doesn't change for civil cases and is the same as a criminal case. The only difference is the standards of proof. Criminal uses "beyond a reasonable doubt" while civil cases will typically use a lower standard, "clear and convincing evidence" or "preponderance of evidence".

But again, that doesn't change the fact that an accusation alone isn't enough. It must be backed by some evidence to prove the accusation. It certainly is in a defendant's interest to provide their own evidence that they haven't done what they are accused of since the accuser likely has some kind of evidence or they wouldn't have brought a lawsuit in the first place, but it isn't required. The accuser failing to provide adequate evidence of their claims is enough for them to fail and the defendant to win.

You really have a bad track record for talking about courts and the law in this thread. But you state untrue things so confidently, as if you were correct.
read
In total, there have been two or three people in this thread that actually showed they know legal procedural theory. The rest learned it from american TV series and wikipedia. You're not one of the former.

Dycedarg

Learned
I've decided to take a look at Karissa's initial statements and oh boy, Avellone has a soft spot for crazy pussy. Here are the links to the archived twitter thread and the nichegamer article:

https://nichegamer.com/2021/06/28/c...ibel-lawsuit-against-sexual-assault-accusers/
https://archive.vn/2pbP8

Here's the important part: after she got drunk, she, Avellone and 2 other guys went to a room where Chris tried to pound her. She said no and he left. And that's according to the thot herself. That's the whole story. She describes her own condition as "blackout drunk", but said she was able to say no "only because she was having her period". Needless to say someone capable of saying no is not incapacitade, just hammered. A shame he didn't go after his accusers right away.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

You are being pretty retarded about this, and any time you talk about how the courts or laws work in general for this thread.

You seem to have two bad understandings here.

1.) The people slandering Chris are the ones being accused of something in this lawsuit, not Chris. And also, even if Chris loses the lawsuit, that is not proof that their accusations against him are true. That just means the court found that their statements and conduct didn't rise to the level of actionable libel.

2.) The presumption of innocence always applies in courts. There is no case that just accusing someone of something is all it takes. That doesn't change for civil cases and is the same as a criminal case. The only difference is the standards of proof. Criminal uses "beyond a reasonable doubt" while civil cases will typically use a lower standard, "clear and convincing evidence" or "preponderance of evidence".

But again, that doesn't change the fact that an accusation alone isn't enough. It must be backed by some evidence to prove the accusation. It certainly is in a defendant's interest to provide their own evidence that they haven't done what they are accused of since the accuser likely has some kind of evidence or they wouldn't have brought a lawsuit in the first place, but it isn't required. The accuser failing to provide adequate evidence of their claims is enough for them to fail and the defendant to win.

You really have a bad track record for talking about courts and the law in this thread. But you state untrue things so confidently, as if you were correct.
read
In total, there have been two or three people in this thread that actually showed they know legal procedural theory. The rest learned it from american TV series and wikipedia. You're not one of the former.

So you *are* telling us there is no presumption of innocence in civil cases?

Sentinel

Arcane
Some other gems of wisdom from you have been that if you refuse to defend yourself that means you are guilty according to courts, which is also untrue. It increases the chances that you will lose, since you are giving your accusers free reign to present whatever evidence they want in whatever light they want without you challenging it, but the evidence must still be presented.
please, read
No, that is not what I'm saying. You're yet another guy jumping into the middle of the conversation, misunderstanding it completely, and then taking it in another direction. Either go read 10 pages or don't reply to me about this shit.

Codex Year of the Donut
Some other gems of wisdom from you have been that if you refuse to defend yourself that means you are guilty according to courts, which is also untrue. It increases the chances that you will lose, since you are giving your accusers free reign to present whatever evidence they want in whatever light they want without you challenging it, but the evidence must still be presented.
please, read
No, that is not what I'm saying. You're yet another guy jumping into the middle of the conversation, misunderstanding it completely, and then taking it in another direction. Either go read 10 pages or don't reply to me about this shit.
why are you gay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom