Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone, Game Designer

Ancient

Erudite
He is our Jesus

Krash

Arcane
Nice interview.

Also, it seems that this illustrious gaming magazine attracts only the finest of the monocled. :o

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Krash said:
Nice interview.
Indeed.

Krash said:
Also, it seems that this illustrious gaming magazine attracts only the finest of the monocled. :o
Indeed. I expect one of the mental giants competing for the retard-award ITT to make a thread in Site Feedback complaining about the *decline* any moment now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It didn’t have a Project Lead or a Lead Designer for a chunk of its early inception and production, and then at the two year mark, Chris Parker became Project Director and I volunteered to become Lead Designer on it in the absence of a Lead Designer. SEGA also participated in the design (not so much the narrative) and they also dictated the marketing and release schedule for the title as well.
So much for "Sega forced them to throw out all of Mitsoda's work and KILL BILL it up"? Unless he's lying for some reason. Or I'm not properly understanding the difference between "narrative" and "design."
I’d be interested to work on a Shadowrun game as long as there was less dice-rolling in the system.
MCA casts "Rage" on the Roll Players.

deuxhero

Arcane
Exmit said:
picture20016.jpg

Finger off the trigger unless you are ready to kill addlecove.

Deleted member 7219

I don't read the Codex as much as I used to, but it looks like there is still a lot of Avellone angst here.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd say most people are at least warm toward him, but then there's Skyway and his group that hate anything associated with Obsidian, including MCA, regardless of content. Not really sure why.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Serious_Business said:
the fact that he's the only guy who has the wit and education to communicate something worthwhile in a sea of brain-dead assholes with computer science degrees.

^This.

:thumbsup:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Arcanoix said:
Serious_Business said:
the fact that he's the only guy who has the wit and education to communicate something worthwhile in a sea of brain-dead assholes with computer science degrees.

^This.

:thumbsup:
I'm not sure that he'd be the only one, seeing how the rest of the writing crew for MotB performed, but he's certainly the one with the most writing skill.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder how many times more can MCA answer the same questions about PS:T before going axe crazy.

1eyedking

Erudite
More please.

And please interview Sawyer next. He even looks like he had an interesting past.

bhlaab

Erudite
Thought my idea for an 80s high school rpg was totally original. Now both avellone and mitsoda have mentioned coming up with it.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Freelance Henchman said:
Alpha Protocol was a p. good game

Suck it up haters. :smug:

Roguey said:
So much for "Sega forced them to throw out all of Mitsoda's work and KILL BILL it up"? Unless he's lying for some reason. Or I'm not properly understanding the difference between "narrative" and "design."

Narrative is the story, design is the game itself, structure, interface, mechanics etc. So the game had little direction in the design for two years and then MCA tried to give the game some structure though still had to share the design decisions with SEGA.

That's your problem right there: they probably were making all these ideas for the structure of the game, role-playing elements, game mechanics etc. and with no direction for 2 years there was no-one to really make sure that these bits all fitted and were fun and sensible. MCA and Chris came along and tried to make something concrete from all these ideas but of course with 2 years gone, you can't just throw every idea out and start again, so they had to shoehorn a lot of it in and try and make it work. SEGA sniffing around with their own consoletard ideas obviously didn't help matters either.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This avellone 'tard doesn't seem to be particularly bright.

for example, in Fallout 3 in Megaton, the character of Nathan is clearly set up to portray how the common people of Fallout might fall under sway of President Eden’s propaganda, and that’s part of Nathan’s role in the story."

Actually, Nathan is clearly set to portray Todd Howard's cartoonish image of what Iraq War supporters are supposed to be like. Because there's nothing I love to see more in my video games than modern day political propaganda. Maybe Todd can toss in something about bank bailouts or gay marriage next time, cuz I sure as fuck don't hear enough about that shit when I'm not playing a game. I'm sure a simpleton like Avellone will fantasize some way to absorb that without breaking his immershun. :smug:

"Kreia is my mouthpiece for everything I hate about the Force, and then I let her rant.

Fagellone is responsible for Kreia's hideous writing and character design? :x

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You have successfully added Mastermind to your ignore list.

Congratulations, you tore my ignore-hymen to shreds!

Also:
d63c1216a7.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom