Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
It seems that onlyfans is next logical step for Avellone :)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Watched half the interview, fell asleep after.

Main takeaway: MCA has played DE and liked it. Tough day for DE haters.

What a terrible interview otherwise. Most exchanges are either trite small talk, or inane, job interview-style questions like "what stuck with you the most after your career in gamedev".
MCA answers "your text will be translated, the aesthetic of your English text doesn't always survive". Uh huh. Banalities after banalities.
Then MCA gives advice on how to get into gamedev writing.... When we're on the bring of AI revolution.

What I'd ask MCA:
- Has he tried AI as a writing assistant? Thoughts? Why would he recommend anyone getting into writing when they're on the brink of replacement?
- I'd like to hear his perspective on how fantasy evolved from the times he started out to now, if he likes the evolution and where he thinks it's going to go.
- If he's involved with any project or if his career is over by his own volition?

I'd ideally like to ask him for thoughts on the opinion that the culture is in decline and video game writers are contributing to this, but knowing his nature (gentle, like the touch of an angel), I wouldn't ask him to critique his colleagues. I'd just stare into his beautiful eyes and leave it unsaid.

thesecret1

Arcane
Has he tried AI as a writing assistant? Thoughts? Why would he recommend anyone getting into writing when they're on the brink of replacement?
I have. It's basically useless for creative writing - the quality is rock bottom. Very handy for quickly looking up grammar though, or when you need to quickly look up some historical context (ie. "what kind of accessories did people in early 19th century wear for high society events"), but even then you gotta verify it yourself whether it's true or not.

Don't think AI is at a level where it could replace writers. Copywriters should be shaking in their boots though.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
A lot of these companies expanded due to the uptick in demand during COVID and are now having to downscale since COVID stopped being a thing, it's mostly all on the e-sports/streaming side of things.

This is correct. 80% of these jobs being axed are ancillary/tangential that have little to do with game development. These are esports, marketing, PR, influencer, and corporate jobs. The actual dev jobs are the fallout of projects being canceled. For example, a large number of "Service Games" -- which historically have had very high headcount -- are getting thrown out the window.

I think we will see a contraction of resources but an expansion of titles released in 2025 onward. There's a lot of stuff going on. Companies are looking at games like Palworld and Helldivers and noticing you don't need to spend a trillion dollars to make your game successful (they know this, but they always forget). Also, some of this is the Elon effect -- the watched the guy cut 80% of his staff and realized they are likely carrying a similar load of completely useless employees. Plus, they are likely now realizing that "working from home" for all but the most dedicated and disciplined employees is just flushing money down the fucking toilet, since most of them do nothing when they're in the office, let alone at home in their fucking yoga pants. They're also taking this opportunity to cut DEI programs and their associated useless headcounts.

In addition, one huge item that nobody is talking about is the change in the tax code here in the US. It is complicated but the gist of it is this: you can no longer immediately write off the costs of R&D. This hurts a lot, as modern video games spend a tremendous amount of time in "research and development" mode. This makes it more expensive up front to develop a new game, so non-essential personnel are hitting the bricks.

I think the output of this will be games that cost less to develop and are made faster. Game companies are going to have to throw more darts to hit a smaller bullseye.

scytheavatar

Scholar
A lot of these companies expanded due to the uptick in demand during COVID and are now having to downscale since COVID stopped being a thing, it's mostly all on the e-sports/streaming side of things.

This is correct. 80% of these jobs being axed are ancillary/tangential that have little to do with game development. These are esports, marketing, PR, influencer, and corporate jobs. The actual dev jobs are the fallout of projects being canceled. For example, a large number of "Service Games" -- which historically have had very high headcount -- are getting thrown out the window.

I think we will see a contraction of resources but an expansion of titles released in 2025 onward. There's a lot of stuff going on. Companies are looking at games like Palworld and Helldivers and noticing you don't need to spend a trillion dollars to make your game successful (they know this, but they always forget). Also, some of this is the Elon effect -- the watched the guy cut 80% of his staff and realized they are likely carrying a similar load of completely useless employees. Plus, they are likely now realizing that "working from home" for all but the most dedicated and disciplined employees is just flushing money down the fucking toilet, since most of them do nothing when they're in the office, let alone at home in their fucking yoga pants. They're also taking this opportunity to cut DEI programs and their associated useless headcounts.

In addition, one huge item that nobody is talking about is the change in the tax code here in the US. It is complicated but the gist of it is this: you can no longer immediately write off the costs of R&D. This hurts a lot, as modern video games spend a tremendous amount of time in "research and development" mode. This makes it more expensive up front to develop a new game, so non-essential personnel are hitting the bricks.

I think the output of this will be games that cost less to develop and are made faster. Game companies are going to have to throw more darts to hit a smaller bullseye.

"Throw more darts to hit a smaller bullseye" has already been tried by Embracer group, also games like Immortals Of Aveum, with disastrous results. AAA will always be much more preferred by publishers over more AA because it's simply far harder to hit a smaller bullseye, and throwing more darts will add up in costs very quickly.

Stuff like outsourcing studios out of Cali to Eastern Euro countries will happen at an accelerated rate to reduce costs, but ultimately the game industry needs to produce less games, not more.

deuxhero

Arcane
Embracer's issue was overextending and Deep Silver being a throughly toxic asset. Immortals of Aveum was being shitty AAA slop at 90% of the budget of AAA (seriously: They gave everyone magic radios because they couldn't write anything but modern military shooters, and immediately stick the reluctant untrained hero in offscreen training so they didn't have to write him as anything but modern military operator)

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Embracer's issue was overextending and Deep Silver being a throughly toxic asset. Immortals of Aveum was being shitty AAA slop at 90% of the budget of AAA (seriously: They gave everyone magic radios because they couldn't write anything but modern military shooters, and immediately stick the reluctant untrained hero in offscreen training so they didn't have to write him as anything but modern military operator)

IMO, Embracer's issue was waiting for Saudi money to come through that never came through. They went on a buying spree they couldn't pay for, and when the check they were anticipating didn't clear, they realized they were, to use the expression with no offense to my Scandinavian friends, way over their skis.

But yes, I also agree - they bought a bunch of okay, AA developers -- at best. I think they mistook the very relative popularity of some of the franchises they bought and assumed they had a bunch of hit-makers. With the exception of Gearbox (and they really only have the one IP in Borderlands), they didn't buy anything spectacular. When I look through their portfolio of owned companies, I don't see anything compelling. At least, not $2-billion-USD-compelling. What exactly were they so excited about? The next Darksiders? Goat Simulator 2? The Saber Interactive port of Kingdom Come: Deliverance for the Switch? I don't understand their thinking. They spent tons of money to buy IPs that historically did just okay.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Has Avellone posted anything here since his 2020 rants about Obsidian? From what i remember some fellow codexers helped a lot with his case against those lying bitches.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Speaking as a lawyer:

I can pretty much guarantee you that MCA’s high-powered counsel told him that they would drop him as a client if he posted here (as they should).
He stopped posting here years before the lawsuit. He was only here to vent about Obsidian (as he said himself multiple times, we're the only people who cared) and hanging around was likely bad for his career given the snipping about it from other people in the industry:

3WlpMKn4QoGp.png

Speaking as a lawyer:

I can pretty much guarantee you that MCA’s high-powered counsel told him that they would drop him as a client if he posted here (as they should).
He stopped posting here years before the lawsuit. He was only here to vent about Obsidian (as he said himself multiple times, we're the only people who cared) and hanging around was likely bad for his career given the snipping about it from other people in the industry:
Yes, I know his last post was years before the allegations. But when taking on clients any decent lawyer is going to take a look at the client, including their online footprint. Drunkposting on a site that is occasionally characterized as a haven for neo-nazis is not something you want your client to do, so you mandate a moratorium on it if they want to retain you.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Speaking as a lawyer:

Yes, I know his last post was years before the allegations. But when taking on clients any decent lawyer is going to take a look at the client, including their online footprint. Drunkposting on a site that is occasionally characterized as a haven for neo-nazis is not something you want your client to do, so you mandate a moratorium on it if they want to retain you.
How would you as a lawyer know that? You google MCA, find his posts on an RPG forum, move on.
Nobody at a glance knows it's just a front for people who are planning to resurrect Hitler.

Quillon

Arcane
Speaking as a lawyer:

3WlpMKn4QoGp.png
Sawya used to post here too right? Someone tell this Patrick guy to stop being buddy buddy with him :smug:

Speaking as a lawyer:

How would you as a lawyer know that? You google MCA, find his posts on an RPG forum, move on.
Nobody at a glance knows it's just a front for people who are planning to resurrect Hitler.
Err, well aside from the fact that I, as a lawyer, DO know that (one can’t discount the esoterica of personal experience): because it’s their job. Good lawyers tend to do their due diligence when it comes to research. That would certainly extend to researching an unfamiliar forum, regardless of whether or not its name appears self-explanatory.

Something most lawyers (even the not so good ones) have realized is that almost without exception judges both dislike and don’t understand social media. They don’t want to hear anything about it, they will be actively annoyed the moment it is mentioned, and don’t you DARE imply they might not understand it or suggest that there’s any possibility of nuance to it!

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Watched half the interview, fell asleep after.

Main takeaway: MCA has played DE and liked it. Tough day for DE haters.

What a terrible interview otherwise. Most exchanges are either trite small talk, or inane, job interview-style questions like "what stuck with you the most after your career in gamedev".
MCA answers "your text will be translated, the aesthetic of your English text doesn't always survive". Uh huh. Banalities after banalities.
Then MCA gives advice on how to get into gamedev writing.... When we're on the bring of AI revolution.

What I'd ask MCA:
- Has he tried AI as a writing assistant? Thoughts? Why would he recommend anyone getting into writing when they're on the brink of replacement?
- I'd like to hear his perspective on how fantasy evolved from the times he started out to now, if he likes the evolution and where he thinks it's going to go.
- If he's involved with any project or if his career is over by his own volition?

I'd ideally like to ask him for thoughts on the opinion that the culture is in decline and video game writers are contributing to this, but knowing his nature (gentle, like the touch of an angel), I wouldn't ask him to critique his colleagues. I'd just stare into his beautiful eyes and leave it unsaid.

I'd like to ask him if he thinks the decline was deliberate in leading to AI (that will be manufactured fun like Sawyer) and if he's willing to mount a counter-revolution of pure writing talent in the future. In today's climate of ... whatever the fuck it is.

I can't remember where I saw the video (might have been the Critical Drinker), but it leaked from hollywood that they're not even interested in talent anymore, just diversity hires. It was right there on the form & tick of boxes. And just ticking the gay & lesbian box isn't enough anymore.

ANd if he's willing to make a comeback - is there even an audience anymore?. One that's more interested in the nature of a man. An not interested in stinking, hairy, bear ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom