Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think I speak for us all when I say we'd love to play with MCA, or at least watch him when he is playing with himself.
By himself.

Aenra

Stick to posting "#LMAO" and :100white: comments Iren, at least these work for you. A sad fact, in as far as what we can tell about the 'audience' that apparently justifies said posting, but still..
To facilitate keeping the discussion in this thread to things MCA/RPG related, just try hard to imagine a 'Bloodlines' written today. By MC-fucking-A

(see? I'm even helping you. Now you can post some "TB incline only" response, harvest some more fists. It'd also help the discussion, so you're welcome to them. Idiot)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
To facilitate keeping the discussion in this thread to things MCA/RPG related, just try hard to imagine a 'Bloodlines' written today. By MC-fucking-A
I came in my pants. Excellent taste. Would buy unseen at $70.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Result of the meeting:

3SaLGGN.gif

:timcain:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I was looking for a specific interview, and found that he's had a website for a while (according to Google). It's just a "coming soon" page now, though.
This is roughly what it'll look like. Looks like it'll have a blog section, by the way.

This website sums up MCA's career... A series of well designed and perfectly executed ideas that are all half finished.
This guy needs to seriously stop multi tasking / chasing every truck and car that passes his house.

Where's my Arcanum Let's play! :argh:

Fairfax

Arcane

:deathclaw:
Does anyone other than Roguey actually believe that? MCA is a good sport about it, at least.

RPGCodex twitter is welcome, by the way. +M

I guess this is my only gripe with MCA's criticisms of modern RPGs. I understand that dialogue trees aren't perfect, but what is the alternative? He said he worked on amazing dialogue mechanics for VR, but I really can't see that being a better alternative, just a cool little gimmick for every once in a while.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess this is my only gripe with MCA's criticisms of modern RPGs. I understand that dialogue trees aren't perfect, but what is the alternative? He said he worked on amazing dialogue mechanics for VR, but I really can't see that being a better alternative, just a cool little gimmick for every once in a while.
Kind of get his gripe though. If you want to give the bloke the freedom to role-play you'd want to give him a buttfuckload of options like PST and there'd still be a bloke that'd find them options inadequate. Plus I guess dialogue trees are more scripting heavy and hard to relegate to systemic interacty-whatsit.

circ

Arcane
Dialogue and quests are easy and has been for a long time. Provide players with the options derived from the classic D&D alignment system: CG, NG, LG, TN, CN, LN, LE, CE, I forget what the last evil option was but you get my point. For players who for some reason feel their character can't be defined by anything - pick chaotic you fucking tard.

BUT ITS TOO MUCH WORK!

Well that's your job isn't it?

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Dialogue and quests are easy and has been for a long time. Provide players with the options derived from the classic D&D alignment system: CG, NG, LG, TN, CN, LN, LE, CE, I forget what the last evil option was but you get my point. For players who for some reason feel their character can't be defined by anything - pick chaotic you fucking tard.

BUT ITS TOO MUCH WORK!

Well that's your job isn't it?

Jesus christ this made me lose brain cells.

You do realise that when a developer says "too much work" that doesn't mean "Instead of improving this part of the game I just decided to fuck off to lunch an hour early.", it in fact means, "I wanted to do this but we simply didn't have the time otherwise we'd have to take time away from higher priority tasks."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom