Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Zakhad

Savant
Plot twist: Roguey was Sawyer all along.

quis venabitur ipsos venatores?

(Can't think of a better word for stalker... insidiator with insidiari might be better but needs dative so it's too far from the original, "quis insidiabitur ipsis insidiatoribus?")

qjW1rDq.gif

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I often wonder about whether Dead Money would be possible to pull off as a full game. Or maybe it's just too bizarre of a concept and it could only ever work as a game within a game, stripping away the gameplay style player has developed so far, and forcing him to approach things differently.
Probably not. One of the strongest themes of dead money is the absolute feeling of isolation that comes with the rapid change of scenery and conditions in contrast to the main game. For example, look at Bioshock which really lacks that feeling of isolation from everything that the Sierra Madre has, because Rapture is all you know, whereas the Madre is just one location you are trapped in, really exemplifying the fact that you are alone in this hostile area, so very far from vegas and your suite, as well as all your companions, with all your armaments and equipment stripped from you.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Thinking about it theres been no MCA designed game i've played where tragedy hasn't been a strong aspect in the narrative, even Alpha Protocol, then again they've made for cracking stories so I don't really mind. Classics used it fairly thoroughly right back into ancient history so you can't really go wrong I suppose, and it highlights the lighter moments.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Thinking about it theres been no MCA designed game i've played where tragedy hasn't been a strong aspect in the narrative, even Alpha Protocol, then again they've made for cracking stories so I don't really mind. Classics used it fairly thoroughly right back into ancient history so you can't really go wrong I suppose, and it highlights the lighter moments.

There is a reason for that. Tragedy or in general a negative turn of events shakes us out of our contented stable life. The perturbation reveals what we are truly made up of and also motivates change in habit. basically, tragedy is always a good source of dynamism and a fodder for a emotionally attractive storytelling.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Probably not. One of the strongest themes of dead money is the absolute feeling of isolation that comes with the rapid change of scenery and conditions in contrast to the main game. For example, look at Bioshock which really lacks that feeling of isolation from everything that the Sierra Madre has, because Rapture is all you know, whereas the Madre is just one location you are trapped in, really exemplifying the fact that you are alone in this hostile area, so very far from vegas and your suite, as well as all your companions, with all your armaments and equipment stripped from you.

The thing I like the most about Fallout NV DLCs is their brevity. Few RPGs do not overstay their welcome. Everyone wants to have 100h long game but if you aren't Bethesda you're going to add a lot of filler to the formula, plus it's hard to make a game like that that doesn't become frustratingly easy/hard depending on the amount of grind you do. FNV itself wasn't that bad, especially once you finish the first half about walking to Vegas. But those short self-contained mini-RPGs were great. Dead Money is the most memorable and most self-contained because it was so disconnected from the base game mechanics: it felt more like an immersive sim than part of RPG.

It'd be great if more games have this modular system. I understand some JRPGs have it, like Agarest has you play 3 generations of heroes presumably giving you new team and quests each time.

And some, like Nier Automata, just force you to play the same short RPG again.

Trashos

Arcane
I liked writing Dr. Borous when he suddenly starts to feel emotion

Right, that was a very cool moment. Even though I don't understand the "technical" details, I figured that this part must have been a bitch to write. But it turned out very good. The voice actor also delivered.

It is interesting that you sound more attached to the OWB characters (which I agree they are very cool, and maybe something different to what you have gotten us used to) than Dead Money ones. Dead Money looks to me like it must have been very draining to write, it is full of strong moments and Dean Domino was brilliant.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
No it doesn't. In Bethesda game you can have those long hours by doing the main quest, several questlines, doing odd jobs along the way and investigating interesting places you see along the way. Even if you don't like that gameplay it still means new places and stories all the time. It won't be as forced as, say, Dragon Age Origins where you get that amount gameplay by doing everything you can - as in this game you're mostly defined by the way you finish specific quests as opposed to more natural question of where you character goes and what tasks he takes on.

Of course if you approach Bethesda games wiht that completionist approach that works with more traditional RPGs then it looks like a filler.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I’m not sure if you would have any info on this but will we ever get more content for torment tides of numenara other than servant of the tides
I do not know, unfortunately - I did submit the graphic novel for Erritis a half-year ago (maybe more), it was approved and good to go, now I think they're just looking for an artist. On the game front, though, not sure. :(
Brian Fargo: You want me to spend money. On an artist. For supplementary material. For a game that lost money and hardly anyone cares about.

I suppose they could just upload the script or ask for a volunteer. There might be some Avellone superfan willing to provide free art to bring his vision to life, though the quality might not be the greatest. Tides of Numenera: The Avellonian doodle comic.

Additionally, that Kobold is uh, something else.
My bible is fallout 1&2 and maybe torment tides of numenara. By the way I’m a guy

All of this is very :hmmm:

Master

Arbiter

There is a reason for that. Tragedy or in general a negative turn of events shakes us out of our contented stable life. The perturbation reveals what we are truly made up of and also motivates change in habit. basically, tragedy is always a good source of dynamism and a fodder for a emotionally attractive storytelling.
Emotionaly attractive storytelling.
:hmmm:

Fairfax

Arcane
Interview update:

The interview was split in two parts. Part 1 will have my questions, Part 2 will be the user questions.
We finished Part 1 last saturday.
Part 2 has more than 80 questions (3400 words), so that will take a while. MCA had to go back to his current projects, and we'll work it out when he has time again.

Thought I should say this in advance: I don't know what kind of expectation people have after so long. Chris went out of his way to give interesting, detailed answers (final piece should have ~14k words), so if any of you find it disappointing/not worth the wait, the problem must be the questions.

I'm still working on the formatting and pictures, but it should be in Infinitron's hands tomorrow.

:drink:

EDIT: the word count was including user questions that will be in Part 2. Part 1 should have ~11k.

Last edited:

Big Wrangle

I mean, it's still worth appreciating the time and work that went into it at least. Good luck on the rest of it.

Developer
Interview update:

The interview was split in two parts. Part 1 will have my questions, Part 2 will be the user questions.
Part 2 has more than 80 questions (3400 words), so that will take a while. MCA had to go back to his current projects, and we'll work it out when he has time again.

Thought I should say this in advance: I don't know what kind of expectation people have after so long. Chris went out of his way to give interesting, detailed answers (final piece should have ~14k words), so if any of you find it disappointing/not worth the wait, the problem must be the questions.

I'm still working on the formatting and pictures, but it should be in Infinitron's hands tomorrow.

If the interview's disappointing/not worth the wait, I guarantee it's more the answers than the questions, trust me.

For Part 2, we're still discussing format - for simplicity, I might answer them piecemeal here in the forum thread (and if someone wants to collect them, they can, but I doubt it'd be worth it for all the 80+ questions), as I'd at least be able to make some incremental progress rather than a huge word dump many years later. :/

Anyway, I do hope the answers in the coming interview are informative/interesting, but we'll see.

Interview update:

If the interview's disappointing/not worth the wait, I guarantee it's more the answers than the questions, trust me.

For Part 2, we're still discussing format - for simplicity, I might answer them piecemeal here in the forum thread (and if someone wants to collect them, they can, but I doubt it'd be worth it for all the 80+ questions), as I'd at least be able to make some incremental progress rather than a huge word dump many years later. :/

Anyway, I do hope the answers in the coming interview are informative/interesting, but we'll see.
Really looking forward to some insight into KotOR 2 in particular. I do get the sense from your writing that after reading all of the EU you were less than impressed with Star Wars lore especially regarding the force. So my question is, If so did that colour your writing of the game. And moving on from that, if there was one plot point or trope of Star Wars you could exploit that you haven't already, what would it be?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom