Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Athelas

Arcane
Companions were the last thing written in PST?

Malk dialogues were the last thing written for Bloodlines. Is this a pattern?

I can actually see that.

Like saving the best food for last, after all that hard work I bet they enjoyed sitting back and writing all of that out.
Well...not quite:

Mitsoda (...) wrote the Malkavian script last, with time running out on development, and the overwork and lack of sleep contributed to what Mitsoda considered an unhealthy state of mind, ideal for writing insane dialog.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Companions were the last thing written in PST?

Malk dialogues were the last thing written for Bloodlines. Is this a pattern?

I can actually see that.

Like saving the best food for last, after all that hard work I bet they enjoyed sitting back and writing all of that out.
Mitsoda (...) wrote the Malkavian script last, with time running out on development, and the overwork and lack of sleep contributed to what Mitsoda considered an unhealthy state of mind, ideal for writing insane dialog.

Sounds like sleep deprivation effects him like it does me, I act drunk and say any little silly thing that's on my mind.

Viata

Arcane
Malk dialogue being last makes sense, as playing a Malk is spoiler-free mode. If you don't have the whole plot completed, all changes done, the Malkavian wouldn't make much sense.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris Avellone: Freelance Designer is lobbing bombs.

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/673466179827073025

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/673466676344590336

Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

:hmmm:

So Eric was rejecting Chris's edits? Fenstermaker's Folly indeed.

Athelas

Arcane
Note the aggressive use of caps-lock ('NO') in response to the question if Webb was one of Ravel's incarnations.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Ouch!
"assuming edits were even accepted" means he hasn't even played the final version. I think a couple of years from now we might get a full rant from MCA. Should be very interesting, and not just for the drama. We get his take on several elements, approaches and mistakes he made over the years, but I don't think he's ever actually criticized a game (publicly, of course).

The "NO.Why?" was probably because the question makes absolutely no sense btw.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know why they wouldn't listen to or accept Chris' edits; is it jealousy? That he can actually write and they can't? Or they wanted to show that they can write, too? Well, that backfired completely.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So when's some autist going to sue Obsidian for pulling a bait and switch? Promise Avellone, then ignore his advice, par down his characters and give them to other people, and let the draft of his novella gather dust. Promise a BG/IWD/PST successor and then deliver a IWD2 successor with some superficial BG trappings.

Fairfax

Arcane
I don't know why they wouldn't listen or accept Chris' edits; is it jealousy? That he can actually write and they can't? Or they wanted to show that they can write, too? Well, that backfired completely.
I wouldn't say it's jealousy, but ultimately Fenstermaker probably thinks he just knows better. From what I've seen in dozens of books with notes and suggestions from editors, it's fairly common, but rarely a wise decision. Happens a lot with famous writers, GRRM in ADWD being the most notorious example.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So when's some autist going to sue Obsidian for pulling a bait and switch? Promise Avellone, then ignore his advice, par down his characters and give them to other people, and let the draft of his novella gather dust. Promise a BG/IWD/PST successor and then deliver a IWD2 successor with some superficial BG trappings.

11975.jpg

Fairfax

Arcane
GRRM in ADWD being the most notorious example.

I dunno if that was him, that was more a "can you please get this out ASAP" from his publisher I suppose.
That was part of it, they didn't give it nearly enough time to be edited, but there are some pictures of the manuscript with here notes and it's filled with "stet" replies by GRRM.
In this picture the problem was similar to MCA's complaint about Lady Webb:

She pointed out that he repeats "words are wind" too often. He said "OK", but the final version of the book has the same 14 instances. :lol:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Some of the edits were a bit harsh too, like the one where Brienne shows up in Jaime's chapter. Either that or the end of it was just poorly written I dunno.

Starwars

Arcane
Webb was probably my least favorite part of the main story. I didn't mind her writing that much (though I did mind that you had to go through her to progress the story) but that goddamn voiceactor... SPEED UP YOUR READING FOR GOD'S SAKE.

That said, I wonder if we'll get more gossip-y "half-revelations". I just find it more annoying than anything, just say what you want if you have anything to say.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Viata

Arcane
This thread is a religious experience, I say unto you.
There's a reason why the difference between CHRIS and CHIRST is only one letter.
Another pairing in which Avellone is once again the inferior storyteller.
Is it? the bible is boring as shit.
Full of plotholes and deus ex machinas.
Plotholes is expected when it was wrote by many people from years apart with 0 conversation between them, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom