Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
How come Nightdive aren't working with Otherside ? I mean they could produce faster and better Shock games, if working together.
This feels very strange to me. Especially with the licence of the SS. Usually licence is holding one studio.
For example,what if Bethesda would outsource the reboot of Morrowind while making TESVI? Altough, Looking glass is no more held as studio.
This whole corporate licence makes me dizzy.

Fairfax

Arcane
I found this Matt Chat link in the otherside forums, in which Night Dive's founder Stephen Kick says they won't do a System Shock 2 remake anytime soon. He says it's aged very well, but "maybe in 10 years, maybe when it's really really old".

How come Nightdive aren't working with Otherside ? I mean they could produce faster and better Shock games, if working together.
This feels very strange to me. Especially with the licence of the SS. Usually licence is holding one studio.
For example,what if Bethesda would outsource the reboot of Morrowind while making TESVI? Altough, Looking glass is no more held as studio.
This whole corporate licence makes me dizzy.
Night Dive owns the System Shock IP, so there's a licensing deal at least. As for not working together, Night Dive is in Portland and Otherside is in Boston, so that's one good reason.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Obsidian is deified! The forums tell tales of him, few know the truth, he was inclined once, as were we all. However his contempt for Interplay drove him to employ me and my brethren. I am MCA, firstborn of Obsidians lieutenants. I stood with Obsidian and my brethren at the dawn of the empire. I have served him for more than a decade.

Over time we became less ambitious and more...streamlined. Obsidian would enter the state of change and emerge more accessible. Some years after the master our evolution would follow, until I had the honour of spurning my Lord. For my transgression I earned a new kind of reward...Pariahhood!

There was only one possible outcome, my eternal damnation! I MCA was to suffer the fate of interns and quality assurance, to labour forever in the bowels of the basement of the living dead.

OBSIDIAN: Cast him in!

Tumbling, burning with white hot fire, I plunged into the depths of the abyss of depression. Unspeakable self doubt, relentless recriminations, time ceased to exist, only this torture and a deepening hatred of the hypocrisy that damned me to this hell.

An eternity passed, my torment receded, bringing me back from the precipice of madness. The descent had destroyed me, yet I lived! Then it was that I first heard the voice, ancient, trollish, as if a thousand lunatics all sang together, righteous and proud.

CODEX: MCA YOU ARE WORTHY!

What happened to your accent?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They own the IP, I'd guess it depends on how the reboot sells. I don't think rebooting SS2 is a good idea, though. It's aged better than the first, specially with Night Dive's own re-release, and fans would probably be a lot more protective about it. I think it's more likely that this is their first project to get the ball rolling without having to make a game from the ground up. They'll probably move on to an original project and let Otherside make more sequels if SS3 is successful.

I imagine a 2 reboot would be like what Star Trek Into Darkness is to Wrath of Khan, something with only superficial similarities. :M

There's no difference calling shit remake or reboot. It's shit.

Are you saying a game written by Avellone will be shit in the Avellone Appreciation thread? I don't think they take too kindly to those words around these parts.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think if there's one genre whose core gameplay could be unharmed by being multiplatform, it's "survival horror"-oriented first person games, which typically are slow-paced and take place in confined spaces.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I think a SS2 remake is, actually, a more reasonable thing to do in comparison with the SS1 reboot (which is completely unnecessary).

The pace and the vibe of SS2 are great, but the skill system is atrociously stupid, the weapons lack balance, the respawning often makes it tedious rather than intense, the last third of the game is obviously rushed, and the ending is beneath any criticism.

The SS2 reboot could adress these drawbacks.

SS1, on the other hand, is perfect as it is.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I think a SS2 remake is, actually, a more reasonable thing to do in comparison with the SS1 reboot (which is completely unnecessary).

The pace and the vibe of SS2 are great, but the skill system is atrociously stupid, the weapons lack balance, the respawning often makes it tedious rather than intense, the last third of the game is obviously rushed, and the ending is beneath any criticism.

The SS2 reboot could adress these drawbacks.
SS1, on the other hand, is perfect as it is.

I think in SS franchise it's better to make SS4 from financial standpoint. But, everything depends how successful SS reboot will be.

Also, I think Prey will affect Nightdive and Otherside in what direction will they continue development.

A horse of course

Articles before initialisms are typically pronounced as they fit - "an" FPS would be more euphonious, so I'd stick with that.

You're both scum anyway.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I've called it a remake in the past, my mistake. Chris Avellone is the narrative lead on a System Shock reboot. All that dialogue and environmental storytelling is his.

There's no difference calling shit remake or reboot. It's shit.

No, reboot is a shit by definition, basically it is translated as Substitution of Meanings/Ideas, like Negro Batman, Asian Spartacus etc.
Look at first Deus Ex game and latest DX MD - it translate quite opposite ideas than first game. So I only wonder what kind of shit it will be.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No, reboot is a shit by definition, basically it is translated as Substitution of Meanings/Ideas, like Negro Batman, Asian Spartacus etc.
Look at first Deus Ex game and latest DX MD - it translate quite opposite ideas than first game. So I only wonder what kind of shit it will be.

There have been good reboots, like Shinobi 2002, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Ninja Gaiden 2004, and Doom 2016.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom