Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

karfhud

Augur
Isometric Vampire game with open world exploring Fallout style, I would love that

Why would you want a Vampire the Masquerade game like that?

^ This

In a setting that relies so much on ambiance, it'd be difficult to pull it off in the isometric view. Then again, if they went for the first person perspective, they'd probably have to go with the Unreal engine and that means a lot of enviro work needed to reach the proper quality...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Isometric Vampire game with open world exploring Fallout style, I would love that

^ This

In a setting that relies so much on ambiance, it'd be difficult to pull it off in the isometric view. Then again, if they went for the first person perspective, they'd probably have to go with the Unreal engine and that means a lot of enviro work needed to reach the proper quality...
No, it depends on good story, options and NPCs. You don't need First Person for that.
And combat and exploring is much better in isometric. Also you can do party based play as PnP Vampires are.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Of course it needs a good story, Cpt. Obvious, but you also want good world-building, you want a thick atmosphere, that's one of the chief get-aways from Bloodlines - which set the bar pretty high for any future games.

Agreed on combat in the isometric view, but

exploring is much better in isometric.

That's just not true.
That's just not true... see I can play that game as well. Once you expand upon that I can do the same.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

^ This

Dunno, that redemption game was good on the atmosphere at least in the medieval stages.

karfhud

Augur

^ This

Dunno, that redemption game was good on the atmosphere at least in the medieval stages.

Certainly. PS:T also has a really thick atmosphere and it's isometric, but Bloodlines showed that FPP goes along really well with WoD. Take the Haunted Mansion - wouldn't work isometrically, would it? Gotta admit it's not a particularly WoD-ish level, it would probably fit into a couple of other games, but still does a great job at selling the ambiance.

I'm not saying that FPP is the only way to pull off a brilliant WoD game; I'm just looking at the bigger picture. Franchise like WoD can take Obsidian right back into the top-shelf, AAA territory, generate proper income and in order to achieve this, they'd need to appeal to wider audiences. Just like Bloodlines - Troika made a game that's approachable by a wider audience, but it can still cater to core RPG fans.

Of course it needs a good story, Cpt. Obvious, but you also want good world-building, you want a thick atmosphere, that's one of the chief get-aways from Bloodlines - which set the bar pretty high for any future games.

That's just not true.
That's just not true... see I can play that game as well. Once you expand upon that I can do the same.

Alright. Which isometric game features exploration that's not reachable in first person?

Isometric perspective comes with its inherent downsides, like picturing verticality - it's always been a hindrance in the old IE games and I haven't seen much progress in the new titles. Ascending/descdending, climbing, jumping, these easiest methods of exploration are immediately trickier/impossible to do properly. Then you have stuff like crouching and squeezing through vents, for instance, also not as natural in the isometric view as in FPP.

ArchAngel

Arcane

That's just not true.

Alright. Which isometric game features exploration that's not reachable in first person?

Isometric perspective comes with its inherent downsides, like picturing verticality - it's always been a hindrance in the old IE games and I haven't seen much progress in the new titles. Ascending/descdending, climbing, jumping, these easiest methods of exploration are immediately trickier/impossible to do properly. Then you have stuff like crouching and squeezing through vents, for instance, also not as natural in the isometric view as in FPP.
What you described is platforming, not exploring. Are you trying to say to me that best parts of Bloodlines were jumping/crouching and sneaking through vents?!
I agree that a game like Deus Ex would not work as a Isometric game because Deus Ex is about stealth and shooting, both of work differently in isometric.
But for Vampire Bloodlines? Hell no. Combat would have been way better, and sneaking can be done well enough by using mechanics similar to Commandos with modifications. And in isometric you don't waste time finding the right path as you can see way more in isometric, you can also scroll to other side of map and click and wait for characters to get there. That alone is already superior to any manual jumping, climbing or crouching FP Bloodline offers.

And team gameplay is always better than single character, even if it is you + just 1 companion.

Next you are going to tell me that F3/F4 have better exploration than F1/F2 :hahano:

HansGruber

Novice
^ This

I think the cyberpunk genre would have the same problem, and i find the shadowrun games have tackled that problem quite well.

Also, Serpent in the Staglands does a great job in delivering on a dark, gothic scenery. There is really zero reason, why an VtM game should not be able to deliver on the ambiance in an isometric view.

pippin

If we ever get an isometric FO it will be on mobile. There's no way Bethesda is going to piss off their audience. Although FO4 was already a weird example of how you made the same thing you were doing but you still managed to frustrate even your strongest allies.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's no way Bethesda is going to piss off their audience.
they already pissed of alot of people

but they gained another set of followers. stupider, easier to manipulate and willing to blindly throw money with some marketing and pew pew explosion trailer. the are called the casuals. so yeah. they gained more than they lose. us hardcore are pretty tricky to please and our numbers isn't many. that is the fact that we aren't really worth it to them even though we're the one who saved them from near bankruptcy.

pippin

but they gained another set of followers. stupider, easier to manipulate and willing to blindly throw money with some marketing and pew pew explosion trailer. the are called the casuals. so yeah. they gained more than they lose. us hardcore are pretty tricky to please and our numbers isn't many. that is the fact that we aren't really worth it to them even though we're the one who saved them from near bankruptcy.

Your post is 12 years late.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

Your post is 12 years late.

The issue is what the AAA market believes it must serve. The target individual is your average 9-5 menial worker who comes home tired and wants some instant entertainment. This is the reason why games are overtaking movies and music quickly, because they effectively achieve this goal of entertainment (in my opinion) way better than the other two alternatives. The problem with this is that you see AAA titles get dumbed down, because the thought process of your AAA designer is that the person playing the game is most likely already spent from their day job.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The interview is back on track, folks. 2 interesting infos in the first answer already. Looking promising. :D
What was the first question?

When are you going to finish that Arcanum let's play?

drHzoEe.jpg

Fairfax

Arcane

Worst? MCA being careful not to trash Bethesda Fallouts, I guess. :M

All deathclaws were originally furry? Imagine Fallout fanart if Bethesda Fallouts had those. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom