Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Chaos Reborn - remake of Julian Gollop classic

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-18-chaos-reborn-is-a-case-study-in-how-to-revive-a-classic

Chaos Reborn is a case study in how to revive a classic
Julian Gollop's wizard battling strategy game returns in fine style.

jpg

By Dan Whitehead Published 18/12/2014

I love Chaos. It's the greatest game ever made. If you scroll down to my little author bio at the bottom of this feature, you'll see that this is a line I've been peddling for quite some time.

Chaos, originally released for the ZX Spectrum in 1985, is brilliant because it creates complex wonders out of very simple rules. Unusually for a fantasy game, that title isn't just used because it sounds cool, but because it sums up the gameplay - and also one of the inescapable laws of the universe - in a single word.

Steam: £14.99
You started with a completely black screen, and between 2 and 8 wizards spaced evenly around the edge. Each wizard has a random selection of spells - some will conjure creatures, others will create hazards or summon enchanted weapons or armour. Each wizard takes it in turn to cast a spell, and then move and attack the others. Last wizard standing wins.

It was beautifully simple, yet the number of spells and the different ways they could shift the dynamic of the arena meant that no two games were the same. From a clean black void to utter mayhem, via simple rules, Chaos is entropy in microcosm.

Simplicity is generally the first thing to go when a classic game is remade for today's market, so I approached Chaos Reborn with no small amount of trepidation. I've always felt there was untapped potential in the game, but was also fearful of how its stripped back clockwork perfection would suffer under the weight of additional systems.

jpg

The Chaos Reborn community seems very lovely. Almost every game ends with a round of upbeat 'gg' messages in the chat window.

Turns out I shouldn't have worried. Julian Gollop, still probably best known as the creator of the X-COM series, has returned to his past with a keen eye. Chaos Reborn stays thrillingly true to the original template, but where changes and tweaks have been made, they're with a surgeon's precision.

The core concept remains the same: kill the other wizards using your spell selection. Naturally, the stark 8-bit menus of old have been replaced with something more streamlined. Spells are now selected from a deck of cards at the bottom of the screen, and are cast by dragging them into the playing field onto the hexagonal tiles.

The most noticeable change for fans will be the introduction of mana. This magical resource is earned by skipping a turn without casting a spell, moving your wizard to one of the mana shards on the map or by burning off unwanted spell cards.

It's the way that mana is used that is particularly clever, though. In the classic Chaos, every spell had a percentage chance of being successful when cast. This percentage shifted depending on the nature of the card - Law, Chaos or Neutral - and the state of the game world. The more Law spells are cast, the more lawful the world, the easier it is to cast more Law spells. By choosing what to cast and when, you could try to shift the world in your favour, so that a truly powerful spell such as the Golden Dragon would go from a mere 10% chance of success to something more reliable.

The twist was that any creature could be summoned as an illusion, and guaranteed to succeed, but illusory creatures could be instantly vanished through use of the Disbelieve spell - a default spell that every wizard has, and never runs out of.

Illusions and percentage casting rates return in Chaos Reborn, as does the ability to shift the world state through the spells you cast, but the mana system shakes them all up in exciting ways. Your mana reserves can be used to top up the casting chance of any spell, which means that it's now possible to muster your resources in lots of different ways, and cast much harder and more powerful spells earlier in the game.

jpg

It's unclear what the game will do with the crucial Raise Dead spell of old, since killed creatures now vanish rather than leaving corpses.

It's a seemingly small change that really alters familiar rhythms - in a good way. One of the weaknesses of the original Chaos was that the more you played, the more certain outcomes became easier to predict. Powerful spells were so rarely real rather than illusion that the Disbelieve spell could be used to mop up the game's best beasts before they'd had a chance to do anything. That's no longer the case.

Another small but fundamental change is that the game is much more agnostic about what you do and when. No longer are you forced to choose a spell, cast a spell and then move. You can now move to a better position before casting, a standard genre practice today that nevertheless opens up whole new tactical avenues where Chaos is concerned, especially as the arena now features higher ground and other terrain features.

The way certain units attack has changed in kind. Flying creatures, for example, can no longer strike from a distance while remaining in place. Whereas once an eagle could hit an enemy six squares away without leaving itself in retaliation range, now they must land next to an enemy in order to do damage. The pay-off is that should a flying creature swoop to attack from higher ground, it does more damage depending on its height.

The game is full of small improvements like this, the sort of stuff that will likely only be noticeable to an 8-bit Chaos obsessive like myself, but that speaks highly of Gollop's grasp on what worked and what could be improved in his three decades old design. Every tweak to the rules has been made to address flaws in the original that only became apparent through protracted play. This is clearly a game that has been updated with passion, care and thought, not simply dusted off to cash in on the current mania for crowdfunded reboots.

Visually, the game is a joy. I'll miss the crudely personable pixel portraits of old, which so effortlessly captured the essence of giants, hydra and giant rats, but they've been replaced by detailed miniatures that are equally dinky but wonderfully detailed. A large part of my pleasure at exploring Chaos Reborn was discovering how old favourites had been reimagined - such as the unicorn, which goes from whimsical mount to blade-headed beast. It's not just the designs that please, either. The idle animations are wonderful - the way a skeleton will juggle his own skull while awaiting his turn - and opposing units left next to each other will spar, jab and dodge rather than simply stand still.

jpg

As a default, the game allows a generous three minute window in which to take your turn. Like most options, this can be changed for custom games.

What excites me most, however, is that Chaos Reborn has barely even started. Right now the only game mode available is online multiplayer, the bedrock on which the game will grow. Smart new additions include a 2v2 co-op option, where you team up with another wizard to take down another pair of players, and an asynchronous mode that lets you play a more chess-like game, swapping moves with another player remotely.

Still to come, though, is the offline mode - which will seemingly play most like the original Chaos, with hotseat multiplayer and the option to play solo against AI wizards - and Realms of Chaos, a campaign of sorts which sees you exploring the fantasy kingdom, battling magical enemies in combat bouts, as you work your way up to face a terrible necromancer who wants to rule the world.

Tied into all of this will be what sounds like a subtle but worthwhile seam of RPG progression. Your wizard persists from game to game now, earning XP and levelling up. You'll also be able to equip different clothing and wield different staffs, which will impact the sort of cards that you get in your deck. In other words, while the cards you receive will still be random, if you favour undead creatures or Chaotic magic, you can make sure those are more likely to turn up.

But what matters - and what impresses most - is that Chaos Reborn is already a brilliant update of an absolute classic. The fundamentals have been delivered, the core is rock solid, and Gollop's team at Snapshot Games has proven that it's not about to drown the delicate balance under adhoc changes and thoughtless additions. There's every reason to be excited about Chaos Reborn's future but, unlike too many other Early Access games, it's a game worth being excited about right now as well.

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...he-creator-of-the-original-x-co/posts/1091018
Single Player Mode Comes to Chaos Reborn

Our Christmas update has some exciting new features, including an offline battle mode which allows you to play 'hotseat' with other players, or single player against an AI opponent, or any combination of human and AI players. There is also a new spell - Summon Rat Pack - a pack of three hideous, mutant giant rats. For the holiday period we also have a cool looking Christmas theme. Check out our Steam store page for more info on the update.

Since the release on Steam Early Access on December 9th the player community has more than doubled. I would like to thank our Kickstarter backers who helped make the Steam launch a great success, especially those of you who eagerly helped new players learn the game and get involved in the discussions.

Happy Christmas and New Year from the Chaos Reborn dev team at Snapshot Games.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think this game would be dreadfully dull against AI.

There's no real level design or encounter design to speak of.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think this game would be dreadfully dull against AI.

There's no real level design or encounter design to speak of.
I don't think encounter or level design is what the game's aiming at in the first place.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is dull even now: is nothing more than an alpha version. Completely unbalanced and pointless. At least online match making works.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Impressions: Chaos Reborn

In the fag-end of 2014 I managed to have a chat with X-COM creator Julian Gollop about the (early access) release version of his new game Chaos Reborn, but as the many demands of a festive season hosted at home hurtled towards me I flat-out ran out of time to give the game itself more than a cursory look. Now that I no longer need worry about which brand of cranberry sauce is best, putting tinsel high enough that a toddler can’t hang herself on it and whether those vacuum-packed chestnuts are a substitute for fresh ones, I’ve been able to put good time into Gollop’s remake of classic Spectrum turn-based strategy game Chaos. Here’s what I made of it.

It helps a lot that an update just before Christmas added a singleplayer mode of sorts. While a full campaign is due further down the line, Chaos is an inherently multiplayer game – it’s you versus up to three other players, all doing your best to destroy everyone else on the battlefield with an array of spells, most of which involve summoning creatures. You have to have equally-matched opponents, and they have to be trying to second-guess you, but those opponents need not necessarily be human-controlled as the game has clear, inviolable rules which permit only a certain amount of things happening per turn.

Clearly, the thrill is lessened when you’re playing against your processor rather than other fleshlings, but I was grateful for the singleplayer mode both due to a shortage of opponents, and because I really wanted the chance to practice in relative safety before risking humiliation against randoms. Whereas previously I had a generalised sense of what I was supposed to do, now I feel like I get Chaos, and more importantly I can see that it is good.

chaos3.jpg

The game’s come on a fair bit since its initial release, although embarrassingly there’ve been no updates this year as yet, which means the current version is still festooned with Christmas decorations. I’m all for festivities regardless any time of year, but a dwarf in a Santa hat in mid-January seems a bit much. Hopefully they’ll turn off the Christmas lights soon though. Update: and they have now!

Even so, it’s art and animation that’s most brought the game to life since earlier builds. I quite like the stark, untextured shapes of the initial alphas, but by now Chaos Reborn is ornate and characterful. Its characters retain a distinctive, stylised oddness – the dwarf’s stovepipe hat, the unicorn’s Final-Fantasy-sword-for-a-horn – but they’ve enough detail and animation going on that they seem rather than like pieces on a board. There’s an organic, living and breathing quality to Chaos’ presentation, which is pleasantly unexpected from what’s something of a formal game at heart. Its characters and levels look like magic forced into earthly shapes, likely to explode into intangible streams of colour at any moment.

chaos2.jpg

As for the game beneath this, it’s magical gambling. Every time you summon a creature, you risk it not working. Every time you attack, you risk it not working. Every time you move, you risk moving into range of an enemy’s spells or minions. Every time you cast an illusory summon because you felt the odds of pulling off the real thing were too remote, you risk it being immediately Disbelieved by an opponent, and that spell card having been wasted. Risk, risk, risk. I look at my small collection of cards – summon an elf, a skeleton, a dwarf, an elephant, a dragon, each with odds of success, and I fret. Once they’re gone they’re gone. They’re the last and only line of defence against my wizard getting murdered, so I can’t squander even a one of them. What to cast, when to cast it, the frustration of it not working out, the jubilation when it does.

The new mana/mega-spell system is far more natural a fit than I’d suspected, too. Perhaps ironically, gathering mana shrines works a little like XCOM: Enemy Within’s MELD, in that you’re willingly send your units into danger or away from where they’re most useful in order to grab a resource with longer term benefits. That being a mega-spell capable of, for instance, zapping multiple enemies at once or spawning a huge forest of violent trees. I like the gamble of it – stretching out beyond safety in the hope of laying a climactic smackdown. It can be ignored completely, but it’s a valid alternate strategy rather than a perverse departure from how Chaos works.

With its limited actions, short movement distances and card-based actions, Chaos’ feel is perhaps much more boardgame than videogame, but it works. It doesn’t come across like crudely digitised cardboard and plastic, but a true middleground between the physical and the virtual. What initially feels slow, confusing, even obtuse quickly coalesces into the sort of moment-to-moment agonising dilemma that any game about trying to second-guess an opponent depends upon. I like it a lot, and it’s barely begun. So far at least, Chaos is well under control.

Chaos Reborn is out on Early Access now.

Dude, you said "fag". Uh huh huh huh huh

Elthosian

Arcane
Bought this yesterday, played it today hotseat with my little brother and damn, that single match we had was worth every single one of the 20 jewgold I paid, after trying tons of different indie local coop games this is the first one where we truly felt rushed with each turn of events and gashed at each other's throat over our units getting slaughtered :love:

It's also amazing how some early missed spells can make you think your opponent is going to die just for the tables to turn shortly afterwards, probably nothing that hasn't been said before but anyways, can't wait to have some more fun with this.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
It came a very long way from the initial build where cast pegasus -> fly to enemy and mana bolt into face was a cheese win strategy.

Can't wait to check out the new build, 0.24 was or is about to be released about now.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...he-creator-of-the-original-x-co/posts/1242166

Classic Chaos is here - and 2 New Gorgeous Environments

The new version of Chaos Reborn sees the introduction of Classic Chaos multiplayer mode. In this game mode each player has a wizard with the same standard staff and bodygear with a random selection of spells. There is a separate league competition just for Classic Chaos, so for those of you who prefer this mode you will be able to win fame and glory.

We have also added two new battle environments - Ruins and Citadel - along with a new batch of multiplayer maps. They look really fantastic! Here are some more details and screenshots:

RUINS
In the Realms of Chaos the Ruins are the shattered remnants of civilisations from the old world, scattered throughout the fractured worlds. They are places where great magical knowledge may be preserved, and they are always guarded by powerful Wizard Lords.

698493fd343f3d35bad2741ca3326493_original.png

CITADEL
In the fractured worlds the Wizard Kings have created fortresses equipped with powerful magical technology, maintained by alchemists and apprentices. Each citadel is governed by a Wizard Lord whose role is to help defend the realm by summoning creatures and binding them permanently to serve as reinforcements in strategic locations.

bc4817df0b49d96b0635e3c8aa30ac42_original.png

Balancing and bug fixes
Over the last couple of months we have been using sophisticated analytics tools to gather data from played games. This has enabled us to pinpoint many balance issues. So with this update we have made a significant number of tweaks. In particular, Law spells are no longer so powerful compared to Chaos or Neutral. There are also plenty of bug fixes.

You can read more details about all the changes on our Steam page.

The Realms of Chaos
We have also been hard at work implementing the single player realm exploration mode. An initial version of this will be released in June, and will also feature a co-op mode allowing you to recruit an ally for any battle.

Here is a sneak preview of work in progress on the main realm exploration screen:

2cb088330d17d1af0dd9bd327150710a_original.jpg

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...he-creator-of-the-original-x-co/posts/1285445

Enter the Realms of Chaos!

Finally, it's here. You can now play the single player realm quest mode in Chaos Reborn. This comes with four new stunning looking battle environments - Mana Flux, Palace, Mountains and Plains. We have also made a number of improvements and changes to the basic games systems.

Discount Week
To celebrate the launch of the realm quest mode there will be a 25% discount for Chaos Reborn on Steam for the week beginning 6th July. Tell your friends, family and acquaintances and get them involved in the game. Here is the link to our Steam store page:http://store.steampowered.com/app/319050/

Check out the new Chaos Reborn trailer:

Here is a screen shot of the Mana Flux environment, where the wizard kings and queens collect mana for their banishing spell

d0cfe39b333b7b70ede27e286ad3be48_original.png

Exploring the Realms of Chaos
The realm quest system currently features:

• Exploration and battle against wizard lords and kings in 7 different battle environments
  • Play co-op battles with other players against lords and kings
  • Multiple realms to explore with a range of difficulty levels
  • Procedurally generated battle maps
  • Creature allies in battle
  • Buy bodygear, staffs and talismans from town shops. They are permanently added to your collection and can be used in multi-player games
  • Encounters with the denizens of the realms
  • Realm ranking tables - compare your realm scores with other players
There is much more content to come in the realm quest mode. These are the planned features:

• Significantly improved battle AI
  • Procedurally generated realms
  • Player generated realms created by players who reach wizard king rank
  • More map features to interact with - goblin camps, elven villages, manticore nests, mana fluctuations, etc.
  • Strategic control of objectives and more involved strategic level game play
Equipment changes
We have revised the equipment system so that you no longer need to level up staffs and bodygear. When you acquire them they start at full capability. Unfortunately this means that we have had to reset all players equipment inventories, but lost equipment will be compensated for with gold. Talismans are unaffected by the equipment changes.

Multi-player league tables
You can now view league ranking tables for equipped and classic mode, for both the current and the previous season.

Feedback
We very much value your feedback on the game so we can improve it as we approach the official launch day. Join our forums and contribute to the discussions:

http://www.forum.chaos-reborn.com/index.php

Thank you for your support, and good luck with your games.

The Snapshot Games Team.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Game's really taking shape. Might have to finally scrounge up fifteen bucks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Chaos Reborn: Singleplayer Campaign Impressions

chaos.jpg

Slow and steady wins the race. No wild promises, but plenty of apparently practical plans for the future, has long been X-COM creator Julian Gollop’s approach with his Kickstarted comeback,Chaos Reborn [official site] (currently on Steam Early Access). While it sadly doesn’t seem to attract quite the same adulation/scrutiny as other returning 90s devs’ crowdfunded career reboots, what it has done is reliably get on with things, meeting its initial promises one-by-one. So here we are with the first components of its singleplayer mode – perhaps the strategic wizard-battler’s biggest break with its multiplayer-only, Spectrum ZX past. On the one hand, that’s probably what X-COM fans want more than anything (other than a true blue X-COM follow-up, of course). On the other hand, what is chess without a human opponent? All depends on structure – how can a series of disconnected, turn-based battles with random spells be made into a meaningful campaign?

Important note – I’ve chosen not to resummarise Chaos Reborn yet again, so please read this orthis if you’re entirely unfamiliar with it.

The answer is partly Big Bad Boss Wizards, and partly making a game which was once entirely without meta-rewards now be swaddled in meta-rewards. The latter’s been concerning me quite a bit over recent months: I didn’t want this stoic, strategic battles of forethought and bluff to become an arm’s race, or even to head further down the micro-management path. I want to see a guy summon a Dwarf, know what that means and what I should or shouldn’t do about it with the spells in my hand, rather than panic that he’s got an infinitely superior staff or my runes are all wrong.

I suspect this will, to at least a small degree, prove to be the case in extended multiplayer, though I think it’s less about having ‘better’ stuff and more about having the right stuff for your playstyle. It’s more about minor percentage adjustments or a modicum of control over which spell cards come up than Blizzard-style ‘you have to have exactly this stuff or you’re basically screwed.’ Though there is a fair bit of Blizzard-style ‘equip this robe and you’ll look super-cool’. I really dig Chaos Reborn’s aesthetic approach, in fact: wizards have this almost robotic battle armour, a far and stylised cry from the Gandalf look we might have expected, and sticking on a new robe transforms your look entirely. (Staffs are the other item you can change, and both they and the robes can then be adorned with up to three Talismans which further adjust your abilities and stats.)

What the singleplayer ‘Realms’ mode does, at least in this earliest, unfinished incarnation, is both encourage you to experiment with different gear in order to gain an edge over tougher or specialised enemy, and give you a way to get hold of new gear without having to repeatedly brave (or beat) multiplayer opponents. Gold (strictly in-game – there’s no sign of micropayments here) gained in singleplayer is spent on items which can be used in multiplayer, and in theory it’s always an equal playing field, personal experience not withstanding. Indeed, victory with the vanilla items is just as plausible as with anything else, but the idea is that you gradually tailor your wizard towards having a deck you feel the most confident with.

chaos3.jpg

The interface for all this stuff is perhaps fussier than it needs to be, but that aside it doesn’t feel like a horrible torrent of too much information or gimme gimme gimme, and most importantly a match still feels like Chaos (or at least as much like Chaos as Reborn’s earliest prototypes did – a fundamental degree of otherworldiness is lost in the translation from Speccy graphics’ abstraction into stylised but tangible 3D models).

As for singleplayer, it’s definitely on the road to providing the higher purpose that the disassociated multiplayer or skirmish maps lacked. Your wizard chooses a zone, whose level rating in relation to your own denotes its difficulty, then treks across it trying to defeat all its enemy wizard before time runs out. Defeat all the wizards and you get to go clobber a Boss Wizard, who tends to be a bit more fiendish and whose hexagon-map is a little fancier than the norm. Gold, experience and a score are accrued during your travels, while the latter also dimishes the longer you wander without beating anyone, which in turn ties into global rankings and whatnot.

chaos1.jpg

There isn’t any pressure about the latter, thank God, although again it’s early days in every respect. I don’t particularly appreciate the guesswork aspect of roaming across of fog of war-occluded map trying to work out where everyone is, as every wrong or inescapably backtracked move eats into your score, but the system whereby you lose points for a loss and then can choose to spend gold to try again makes plenty of sense. Sometimes the hit’s worth it, sometimes the cost is too high or the score is irredeemable, and this discourages simply grinding on until every opponent’s dead. It becomes an achievement to beat a zone, especially with a decent score, rather than a foregone conclusion.

On the other hand, the campaign structure is extremely light in its present form. There’s some visual variety to zones and a spot of flavour text, and most fights involve some sort of thoughtful handicap – for instance, Law spells are disallowed, or none of your summoned beasties can use ranged attacks – but it can’t help but feel like the loosest of linking structures for a few AI skirmishes. I mean, I don’t want a glitzy ending cutscene or guff like that, but (with apologies for armchair designing) I’d like the boss fights to feel more climactic, perhaps by more ostensibly being super-wizards who require specific forms of attack/defence. Puzzle-battles almost, though I don’t quite know how that can be reconciled with the fundamental randomness – I have these spells, several of them are at odds with each other, what should I do? - of Chaos. Early doors again though, so they may yet escalate into something less template-like.

chaos2.jpg

But, and I surprise myself here, it’s exciting to head back from a campaign-ette into the inventory/store UI, with a clutch of gold in hand, and see what toys you get when you buy a crate of loot with it. I’m still experimenting with the relatively granular nature of the stat adjustments and card-pinning (and that’s exactly why I incline so much more towards single than multiplayer Chaos Reborn), but I like that my wizard can suddenly look wildly different and that, next time around, my deck might be appreciably remixed.

I feel that singleplayer needs to a go a little further, structurally, to remain as tight and thrilling as it needs to be – without that burning urge to destroy a human opponent, any individual battle just isn’t that meaningful, but some heightened sense that a special challenge was overcome would help. Even so, this is a solid and confident answer to the question “how do you make Chaos into a true singleplayer game?” Every time I revisit Chaos Reborn, I feel it’s come along hugely and that, in the main, it knows exactly what it’s doing. Part of me mourns that Reborn has such a narrow focus when my dream Gollop project is a return to the miraculously stable Jenga tower of ideas that was X-COM, but I can’t not admire the clear determination to do it right, with a mentality that is clearly mechanics and balance-led rather than bothering with fluff. Even so, Reborn’s an extremely pretty game, its slightly angular and slightly spectral models evoking a luxurious tabletop game.

There’s a lot that isn’t there yet – some menu options are even dead-ends with messages previewing features to come – but now, at last, all the rudiments are in place, and it’s safe to say something more concrete than “looks promising”. Chaos Reborn is an excellent game of wizardly warfare.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
PCGamesN interview: http://www.pcgamesn.com/chaos-rebor...p-on-early-access-and-defecting-to-the-aliens

All this, Gollop suggests, will result in a larger change than the RPG elements introduced so far - and leave Chaos a “little bit more X-COMy”.

Snapshot would like to pull the game out of Early Access before the end of the summer. But that all depends on community reaction to its upcoming features. And that - like Chaos’ spells - cannot be predicted.

Beyond release, Gollop and co. will support Chaos long enough to round off any rough edges, before starting something new. Gollop claims there are “no plans” just yet - but given a game in sufficiently advanced state, would return to Early Access in a shot.

“In some cases, the suggested changes and features can be very good,” he concedes. “I would certainly do the same thing again without hesitation.”

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Huh, would've thought it had a lot more work left before release

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Compared to feature list from KS "end of summer" seems to be way too soon. Unless pulling out of early access != release.
I want my realms designer goddamnit! Don't want to be king nothing for months after release..

“Except of course for some of our customers who don’t like randomness in games. The people who bought the game and simply don’t like this lack of control - it seems to be a feature more of modern games players than players from my day.”

:hero:

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Chaos Reborn Launch Day - October 26th 2015

I am pleased to announce that we will officially be launching version 1.0 of Chaos Reborn on 26th October. It has been an intensive year and a half of development, but we have a great game ready to ship. There are a few features promised in the Kickstarter which are not yet present. Most significantly the demigod and god roles. We will be adding these features in the first 2 months after release and we will continue to support the game with regular updates, including new content such as additional spells and game modes. Our version 1.0 release will be focussed on new players, so there will be an extensive tutorial and an upgraded interface. The Wizard Lord and Wizard King roles will be working at launch, and you will find new realms to explore as the kings create them.

For existing players, the game accounts will be reset and you will be able to build your wizard from scratch along with many new players.

How to help us with the launch
There are several ways you can help us

• Sign up for our Thunderclap campaign now: https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/32657-chaos-reborn-launch-day
  • If you follow any games youtube or twitch channels, request that they cover the game.
  • If you participate in any game related forums, let them know about the game.
  • Participate in online battles during the launch week and help new players learn the game.
Thank you for your support.

Julian Gollop, Snapshot Games

0bf3b6e8c58dcd967f59551291dc6e37_original.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I sort-of cross-post this here: http://www.pcgamesn.com/the-bureau-...com-fps-almost-launched-a-kickstarter-himself

Julian Gollop was "outraged" by 2K's XCOM FPS, almost launched a Kickstarter himself

Five summers ago, while Firaxis were quietly beavering away on the XCOM reboot that would reinvigorate turn-based tactics, 2K announced a first-person shooter named XCOM. Unaware of the faithful follow-up also in the works, strategically-minded denizens of the internet were horrified. So too, it turns out, was original X-Com creator Julian Gollop.

“I’m not sure I’ve told anyone else this, actually,” he told our Joe in conversation about the making of X-Com. “But at the point that Take2 made the first announcement of an X-Com game, which became The Bureau, when they first announced it was going to be an FPS, I was so outraged that I was determined that I would start a crowdfunding campaign to do a proper X-Com game.”

Of course, we know Gollop didn’t follow through - he would instead go on to reboot another of his beloved tactical classics as Chaos Reborn.

“I changed my mind when Firaxis announced their version of X-Com because I knew they would actually do a pretty good job of it,” he explained. “There was a brief period there were I was going to do it, but it didn’t last.”

The sad casualty of all this outrage was the original XCOM shooter unveiled in 2010, based on an Irrational prototype in which missions would build to a dangerous crescendo - eventually forcing players to flee. The game 2K Marin and 2K Australia ultimately released, The Bureau, was a third-person shooter rather less ambitious in its design. Did you ever play it?

Now he let the idea go, according to 'the making of' article.

With Fireaxis’ successful take on X-Com, Gollop feels he’s now in a position to let it go. He laments how redundant the Geoscape function became in the game’s transition to FPS, yet it’s small change given how lost he reckons the series was beforehand, and how well Fireaxis did in reviving it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom