Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Champions online anyone?

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Just bought it yesterday.. am at level 15 now. So far it's been a blast. I never played the beta so i went in without any expectations other than to solo and have casual fun.

So far i haven't felt any kind of grinding. Just doing a bunch of quests, saving peasants, feeling like a hero overall. I especially love the flying abilities the heros get.. it does feel pretty awesome to fly on top of millenium city (huge ass city with tons of buildings).

Hero customisation is also pretty insane.. it's amusing to see the characters that come out of the customisation screen. I've only seen two heroes that were alike so far that tried to do a "robot gundam" suit kinda thing.

There's been a ton of complaints it seems about defense nerfing in general. My pro tip if you decide to play this game: Take up regeneration as soon as you can.

Anyone else tried it yet?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played the open beta for some days and it definitely is one of the best MMOs around.
The level of customization is simple the best there is. In any game. Evar!
The gameplay is fluent, and nicely action-oriented. Not the usual click on attack and wait you find in other MMOs.
I also didn't notice any grinding.

The balancing seems to be ...well... like balance always is on new MMOs. Fucked up. Defensive powers are just imbalanced and everyone taking them wins in the PvP part. Easy as that. PvE is always fun, though. As is grouping.

If the monthly fee wouldn't be that high, I'd buy and play it. Very good MMO.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Am level 22 now. Lots of downtime during the first week of launch as expected.

There's been a 150 MB patch... with absolutely no patch notes at all. Bad sign of developer "trust me i know what i'm doing".

So far am still enjoying myself. Don't feel any grind yet. I'll let you know when the grinding starts. ^_^

kenney bounces said:
I'll let you know when the grinding starts. ^_^

Or never post again.

What is the max level in this game anyway? 99? Of course you're not going to "feel any grind" at 22. Christ.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
After playing CoX, I'm skeptical. I really don't want to shell out 50 euros for something I know will last me 2 days tops. Plus while everyone was hailing how awesome the editor in CoX was, I still couldn't make the hero I had in mind. This game is newer and probably has even less customization so there's an even smaller chance of being able to create the hero I want.

Misterhamper

Scholar
Hobo Elf said:
This game is newer and probably has even less customization so there's an even smaller chance of being able to create the hero I want.

Wrong, there is ALOT more customization in this than in COH (with COHs latest patch).
I would say there is 4x as much, because when you first get Champions there is at least twice as much customization and the other half is unlockable though the game as far as I know.
But there is some bad optimization in the game at the moment. Almost everyone gets not-so-good or bad FPS even if they exceed recommended settings. But that will probably be fixed soon in a patch.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Misterhamper said:
Hobo Elf said:
This game is newer and probably has even less customization so there's an even smaller chance of being able to create the hero I want.

Wrong, there is ALOT more customization in this than in COH (with COHs latest patch).
I would say there is 4x as much, because when you first get Champions there is at least twice as much customization and the other half is unlockable though the game as far as I know.
But there is some bad optimization in the game at the moment. Almost everyone gets not-so-good or bad FPS even if they exceed recommended settings. But that will probably be fixed soon in a patch.

So, can I create a Swamp Thing look-alike?

Mystary!

Arcane
I played the beta. Some of the problems it had then, mainly balancing issues is still there. I could solo stuff way above my level before, now it seems you need a group for even the simplest mob.
This unbalance was most noticible in pvp however, where some skills were more or less mandatory if you wanted to survive more than a few seconds. But after attaining the skill, regeneration, personal force field or invurnerabilty, you'd be unkillable. Unless everyone in the opposite team focused on you, which rarely happened. After a while everyone figured out they needed these skills and so fights would go on forever because noone got hurt.

But the games is focused on PVE, supposedly. The quests are like in every other mmo, collect this, kill that. Could be better, but I didn't expect anything else. However the areas where you quest are poorly designed, just large open spaces with monsters scattered about. Every creature has a ranged attacks, including zombies, dogs... it might be necessary to deal with flying players, but it's still ridiculous.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Am level 25 now. I have only grouped twice so far back around lvl 10-ish. (this was before i picked up core abilities and potions)

I'm by no means a pro. I just started two days ago. I'm able to solo a ton of of monsters with mini-mines. Just block, mini-mine, and everything dies. I'm using a munitions build.

So far it seems pretty easy as a munitions character. Easy and fun. =D

Levelling definitely is slowing down now. Feeling a bit more of the quest grind as i'm playing. Still, they have a lot of nice scenes and scripted quests. No choices and consequences of course.. it's a mmo. =p

Rakanishu

Novice
So, can I create a Swamp Thing look-alike?
yes you can :the avatar creator is awesome spent half an hour on it,or more lol
played two days of the beta on it then discovered fallen earth and quitted.Playing a superhero was nice but being in a post apoc world is better for me /so I'll play this game surely but a lot later because there's divinity 2 coming out also.
Now I jump to the search engine to see what codexers thing of Divinity 2[/quote]

Mystary!

Arcane
I suggest you try it in a month or two, and see if people are still playing. There's alot of patching and bitching going on atm. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

kris

Arcane
Rakanishu said:
too bad you missed the beta for this purpose

Kind of true, at least I would get to know what it is about.

On the other hand a MMO would be better tried after an expension is out. As the game is more mature then.

Shannow

Waster of Time
kris said:
I am actually tempted to get this, if I could just try a demo first...
I just googled "Champions online trial". Seems most people expect there to be a trial in a few months.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Made a lvl 30 tank, a lvl 25 fire guy, and a lvl 29 munitions so far. Lvl 30+ is when it gets iffy due to the lack of quests to do. Content gap and stuff.

So far i'm still enjoying myself. I'll definitely recommend this for casual gamers who just want to have fun. If your idea of fun though is to min-max every single thing, grind as fast as you can, see end raid content.. this ain't the game for you.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Welp my character is at lvl 39 now. Not gonna renew my subscription. Was fun while it lasted.

Too many content gaps(had to grind several levels), unusable retcon(respec) costs, buggy quests(had a whole list of them).

Now the designer, bill roper announced plans to reduce retcon costs slightly, and fixing the high costs by inflating the economy with more gold and increasing item drops.(Most experienced MMORPG players will wince at this comment.)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My Sorcerer is only level 21, but I'm still having fun with him. I also have a level 6 who I log in for 10-20 minutes every now and then just to play around with his swinging travel power. That thing is cool as fuck, and my next char (if I make one) will have that as his main TP.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Heh i've stopped playing this game now. Moving back to ultima online, playing with tropico 3 too. From the forums, seems that a lot of other people have also dropped their subscriptions, with population dropping drastically.

It's fun for the first month if you play hardcore, 4 months tops if you play slowly.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
kenney bounces said:
It's fun for the first month if you play hardcore, 4 months tops if you play slowly.

That was pretty much the exact problem with City of Heroes.

You'd think they would have learned.

hal900x

Augur
fyezall said:
I suggest you try it in a month or two, and see if people are still playing. There's alot of patching and bitching going on atm. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

That's every MMO ever made though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom